EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Mr. Parcelan's Guide to Being a n00b
Ak'abon
Pancake
posted 05-28-2002 09:19:30 PM
This would have been very good before Nippa-Festa Day. BUT! I now will take into consideration this bit of information
"JJACT TV"..not ur every day entertainment!
"theres ahir in the piies"!
"its your Hair"
::crosses eyes and says "ahhh"::
"Hullo there my name is Sarah Hopkins"
Nippa-Festa Day:http://hometown.aol.com/topazgal90/page3.html
Gydyon
Yes, I am a lawyer. No you can't sue them for that. Shut up, or I'll have your legs broken.
posted 05-29-2002 06:41:07 PM
I missed this thread. I posted on it when I was still a semi-n00b.
Gydyon
Evercrest Lawyer

Thinking about your posts
(and billing you for it) since 2001

Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 05-30-2002 10:58:44 AM
Moo!
"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 05-31-2002 06:28:09 PM
Timmah!~
I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piƱa coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Ruvie's Alt
Haven't you always wanted a monkey?
posted 05-31-2002 07:01:31 PM
...WUT
Maelarr
Pancake
posted 06-04-2002 02:00:36 PM
quote:
Azakias had this to say about Robocop:
Moo!

All Empires Fall, You just have to know where to push- Me
Cleric Rogue Sigpic
Cadga
Quite Insane
posted 06-05-2002 05:59:57 PM
wrong thread

[ 06-05-2002: Message edited by: Iron Chef Cadga ]

Professional Sinner/Heretic
My mindless dribble
Aaron (the good one)
posted 06-11-2002 08:43:43 PM
I will not follow your guide! For you sir, are a dink!
Galbadia Hotel - Video Game Music
I am Canadian and I hate The Tragically Hip
Drysart
Pancake
posted 09-15-2003 11:27:08 PM
Bump. And Shania Twain, for good measure:

Aaron (the good one)
posted 09-15-2003 11:27:41 PM
Nwist, Who?
Nwist
posted 09-15-2003 11:28:03 PM
Hooray!
TheOriginalZane
Pancake
posted 09-15-2003 11:48:09 PM
Im a n00b (hi how are you), but I know a good picture of Shania Twain when I see it. Nice work Drysart.
Anyways, what's Godmoding?
The worst member of EC.
Live Journal
Aaron (the good one)
posted 09-15-2003 11:54:53 PM
kills ToastedFritters and takes his stuff
Nwist, Who?
Nwist
posted 09-16-2003 12:40:34 AM
Dons his opal armor of dispelling +13 and casts a fireball large enough to fry a small city on Delidgamond.

"im in ur base killin ur doods lol"

Trillee
I <3 My Deviant
posted 09-16-2003 02:06:11 AM
quote:
Drysart stopped beating up furries long enough to write:

Looks like she's gunna sneeze... or a fly went up her nose...

Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 09-16-2003 02:08:59 AM
quote:
Trillee Model 2000 was programmed to say:

Looks like she's hot to me, or that she's taking a deep breath.

Mmmmm deep breath

(Insert Funny Phrase Here)
Drakkenmaw
Crunchy, tastes good with ketchup
posted 09-16-2003 02:48:41 AM
Wow, you found it! I'll go ahead and transpose my posting into here, since it did cover some points this thread didn't fully cover - but I think it should be mostly all handled by all the posts in here so far.

=+=

Okay, one of the major problems new people have here is that, essentially, they don't know all the weird little quirks in how the people on the forums work and what is expected. So, I've decided to make a little rules list on what to do and not do, so that everyone new might have a greater chance of coming through their arrival without being frightened/confused/banned. Please read it all, to make sure you can smoothly slide into board life with the least amount of annoyance to everyone.

1.) Read the rules. It's funny, really. That little link to the rules is up on every page in this forum, and very few people read it to begin with. You really should, because this forum is not exactly like every other one on the Internet. Drysart has spent large amounts of time customizing this board and its rules to fit the rather unique situation we have here, so there are some things on there that you won't find anywhere else. And you want to know about them, so you won't get banned unexpectedly for doing something you can do other places online.

2.) Be yourself, but try to work with us. Yes, we do appreciate a level of individuality here at EverCrest. Feel free to be your own self, like the things you do, talk about the things you enjoy, and so on. Personal differences are the thing that makes this forum work - getting a bunch of different people in one area, more or less respecting one another, to joke and talk and express themselves.

However, there are a couple things you really should do to help you integrate well into the mass of people we have here. For one, try to use proper grammar and spelling. We all make mistakes, and a couple people here do have terrible writing skills due to second languages or such things - one person's even made a name for himself for it. But still, it's not something you want to chance. A lot of people here, myself included, get at least slightly annoyed when we see someone not even trying to make coherent posts. Call it OCD, call it pedantry, but it'd really help if new people would at the very least use capitalization and punctuation.

3.) Don't try to make a name for yourself. I don't know how many people fall into this trap. Don't try to stand out, or someone else will try to pull you down off your little pedestal. It's okay to be different, it's okay to follow an alternate lifestyle or philosophy, it's okay to be your own self. But please, don't make a show out of it. We really don't care that you're the only tri-hetero-gothic-fairyfolk in Wisconsin. Really. We care if you can talk, and joke, and present yourself intelligently. Most of us don't even make a point about presenting "who we really are" in most cases, so you don't have to either. If it comes up in conversation, go ahead. But I probably wouldn't advise it too much. Just let your personality, and not your persona, show first.

4.) Don't take things too seriously. There is no way I can emphasize this enough. But I will try. Don't take things too seriously! People will probably make fun of you at some point. It's not a serious show of enmity. Laugh it off. Everyone here has been made fun of at some point. Everyone will be made fun of a lot more in the future. It's a given. It will happen. Don't let it get to you.

On a related note, don't let people here become enemies to you. It's silly. This is a forum online. Relationships can form, people can meet, and so on. But c'mon, this sort of thing really isn't something to hate someone over. You turn off the computer, this whole thing vanishes. The people here retreat to the various corners of the globe they live on, and there's no good reason to be bringing enmity into that.

5.) Watch how things are done first. I know, I know - you joined to talk to people, and talking to people is what you're going to do. But it's important to know peoples' quirks first, unless you want to go doing some very weird things (like hitting on Falaanla) or some very suicidal things (like insulting the military in one of Bloodsage's threads, or anywhere near Bloodsage for that matter).

6.) Don't be confrontational yet. It's unfair, really, but a general truth - people are far less forgiving of those people who have not been here long. Wait at the very least until you have found some sort of niche you fit into before you start arguing in the debate threads or calling out someone who has been here a long time. It will certainly help your chances for survival if you don't get ahead of yourself here.

7.) Don't expect much in the way of accomodation. We aren't really here to make you comfortable. If you're friendly, most of us will be friendly in return. But there's no real obligation involved. We don't HAVE to do things for you, just as you don't HAVE to do things for us. Unless you're talking Drysart, in which case you'd better do it quick - he pays for this, which means we're ALL obligated to him for providing us this nice place to talk in.

8.) Don't try to sneak your way around the rules. Really, don't. People try this more than you'd think, which is why the rules are as complicated as they are. Keep in mind that Drysart can and does change the rules with little notice, and is perfectly in his rights to ban you just because he doesn't like you. In fact, we've gone through a couple runs of "The People's Republic of EverCrest" where he's done almost that. So really, don't be stupid about it and try to weasel your way around the rules so that you can do something stupid. It's not worth it.

9.) Give Parcelan space. And cookies. Parcelan is... himself. He says things, and does things. Most of them are things you don't want directed at you. But don't expect him not to try you at some point. He's something of our bouncer - those people who are not laid back enough to let him be or avoid him, he'll eventually chase out. It's not a position that's made him many friends, but I somewhat think he likes it that way. And he's not all bad, either. Just give him some room. Oh, and cookies.

=+=

Newcomers, don't be too scared. Just follow the golden rule above all else, if that stuff above gets too complicated. The golden rule is as follows:

DON'T BE AN ASS.

If you can do that, you'll be fine. If you can't... well, it won't be pretty. So at least try.

TheOriginalZane
Pancake
posted 09-16-2003 11:46:38 AM
quote:
Delidgamond's account was hax0red to write:
kills ToastedFritters and takes his stuff

quote:
How.... Warlord Darius.... uughhhhhh:
Dons his opal armor of dispelling +13 and casts a fireball large enough to fry a small city on Delidgamond.

"im in ur base killin ur doods lol"

Oh I see, thanks for the clearing up.
Comes back to life and eats Warlord Darius, and his children.

The worst member of EC.
Live Journal
BeauChan
Objects in sigpic may be hammier than they appear
posted 09-16-2003 12:27:50 PM
okay.
Endured by EC for over 7 years and counting...
Gydyon
Yes, I am a lawyer. No you can't sue them for that. Shut up, or I'll have your legs broken.
posted 09-16-2003 02:36:54 PM
I thought about writing a revised n00b guide a while back, but then decided this one did just fine.

And I'm the bouncer. If I get pissed off, then you really know it's time to knock some heads.

Gydyon
Evercrest Lawyer

Callalron
Hires people with hooks
posted 09-16-2003 03:37:29 PM
quote:
Drysart wrote, obviously thinking too hard:

I'll see your Shania Twain, sir, and raise you a Salma Hayek:

[ 09-16-2003: Message edited by: Callalron ]

Callalron
"When mankind finally discovers the center of the universe, a lot of people are going to be upset that it isn't them."
"If you give a man a fish he'll eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish he'll just go out and buy an ugly hat. But if you talk to a starving man about fish, then you've become a consultant."--Dogbert
Arvek, 41 Bounty Hunter
Vrook Lamar server
Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 09-16-2003 03:45:29 PM
Ack! Salma Hayek has turned into a red X!
Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Pouncer of the 12th degree!
"Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"
Goma
Pancake
posted 09-16-2003 05:26:56 PM
Callalron wins the thread so far.
Black
The Outlaw Torn
posted 09-16-2003 05:42:23 PM
quote:
Impressive, Gomateux. Just f'n brilliant:
Callalron wins the thread.
She is one saucy piece of meat.

Time was never on my side.
So on I wait my whole lifetime.

BacardiMunch
Wise enough not to pee on the electric fence?
posted 09-16-2003 06:43:40 PM
I'm destined to forever be the perma-noob.

I do the boobs though.

Skaw
posted 09-17-2003 07:26:31 PM
It's a blast from the past!
Monica
I've got an owie on my head :(
posted 09-22-2003 07:54:38 PM
quote:
From the book of Trillee, chapter 3, verse 16:

No, I think her boobies are about to fly out of her top.

Akiraiu Zenko
Is actually a giddy schoolgirl
posted 09-22-2003 10:26:40 PM
And remember, DON'T SQUEEZE THE CHARMIN!
The artist formerly known as Zephyer Kyuukaze.
TaLourin
Pancake
posted 09-26-2003 03:19:45 AM

CHYNA SMASH PUNY WOMEN!

I'm so sorry for posting that

Gydyon
posted 09-26-2003 12:39:55 PM
quote:
Ak'abon painfully thought these words up:
This would have been very good before Nippa-Festa Day. BUT! I now will take into consideration this bit of information

I miss her so much

Gydyon
Evercrest Lawyer

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 10-02-2003 08:45:05 AM
quote:
Tal At Work had this to say about Knight Rider:

CHYNA SMASH PUNY WOMEN!

I'm so sorry for posting that

YOU LOSE.

TheOriginalZane
Pancake
posted 10-02-2003 11:31:25 AM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Falaanla Marr said this:
YOU LOSE.

sorry she's a man. That mean it doesn't count. Having a sex change doesn't make you a woman.

The worst member of EC.
Live Journal
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: