EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Rift
Maradon!
posted 01-21-2011 06:43:46 AM
Anyone know about this game?

https://www.riftgame.com/

I thought it sounded really cool, but then I read it was created by a guy who was involved with EverQuest. I can only imagine the rift system used as a way to make camping rare spawns more tedious challenging.

Willias
Pancake
posted 01-21-2011 07:01:59 AM
Goons seem to be rather impressed by it. Plays a lot like WoW, but has some interesting innovations to things like the character class system.

YOGScast talks about it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_9oiBivg-g

Also, websites are giving away tons of beta keys, and there just so happens to be a beta event next week. So if you're curious, you can try it out.

Zam's beta giveaway page
Curse's beta page.

nem-x
posted 01-21-2011 10:10:44 AM
These Rift talents would get nerfed so hard if they made it to wow
Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 01-21-2011 09:05:00 PM
There's the usual "OMG this is the Messiah of games!" hype but from what I've seen of it, it just looks like the usual shit.

But maybe I've just lost my taste for MMOs.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Willias
Pancake
posted 01-21-2011 09:25:56 PM
I think what it comes down to is that most MMOs that are coming out are still utter shit (see: FFIV), with WoW standing pretty high above the majority.

So when an MMO comes out that even looks somewhat good, even if it does a lot of WoW mimicry, it gets a decent amount of praise.

What I'm hoping from this is that the game is at least a change of pace from WoW. I don't mind the game playing similarly, so long as there is something neat that makes it stand out a little bit from other games.

nem-x
posted 01-21-2011 11:25:43 PM
Going to try this game out
Mr. Parcelan
posted 01-21-2011 11:32:43 PM
Thing is, Cataclysm is total shit. There's barely any endgame content, save for the top .5% of players, and there's pretty much nothing for anyone else to do except roll alts.

The "this is boring and shitty" opinions have hit every expansion so far. The thing is, with BC and Wrath it took anywhere from a year to a year and a half for these to set in. This became pretty standard opinion after the first month of Cataclysm.

What does Rift do different?

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 01-22-2011 12:14:58 AM
I think you underestimate the people that can take on the existing content. If you're in a guild with an average age of over 15 and under 30, not forming raids in trade and can breathe you should be fine

edit: poorly phrased and I'm TOO MUCH OF A REBEL to correct it

I bet FdY is doing fine. I can get you in, bro. I've got connections.

Kegwen fucked around with this message on 01-22-2011 at 12:19 AM.

Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 01-22-2011 12:43:22 AM
Played in one of the Beta segments, it is rather WoW like (big shock) but looks nicer.

Overall I had a moderately "meh" reaction to it, but that's largely because I was hoping for something new, not more WoW. It does look like it will stick around for a while though compared to some other attempts...

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Willias
Pancake
posted 01-22-2011 11:25:45 AM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:

What does Rift do different?

From what I've gathered so far:

Public Quests ala Warhammer, found in the various elemental rifts that spawn throughout the game world (example)

Later on, these rifts become a bigger deal, because they spawn footholds for each elemental faction, which will then run around and try and claim territory which will either be held by other elemental factions, or by players (the elementals can claim player-faction cities for example).

Quite a bit more character customization in the subclass system, which also allows 4 different "dual-specs" that you can switch to whenever you like.

Other than that, from what I can tell, not much.

Doesn't bother me much though, I like WoW's gameplay, and Cataclysm is fucking boring outside of raid content.

Maradon!
posted 01-22-2011 12:44:39 PM
I mainly quit wow because the time investments for raiding were too onerous.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 01-22-2011 03:54:36 PM
Public quests were a pretty spectacular failure in Warhammer.
Willias
Pancake
posted 01-22-2011 08:36:03 PM
PQs were alright at first, but as you leveled and there became so many fucking PQs, basically the only ones you would see get done were the easy PQs or the ones that were right in the way of everyone's level path.

I have no idea how these work in comparison.

quote:
I mainly quit wow because the time investments for raiding were too onerous.

Don't know if you quit before or after Cataclysm, but I feel that right now, raiding is in a pretty good place.

Minus a couple of fights that require you to have a specific ability type, AoE snares especially.

Fuck 5 man content though. I understand Blizzard wanted to make it more difficult, but fuck, it's 20x more tedious than the shit in LK. I don't think I've run any dungeon more than 10 times (minus Deadmines, fuck you random dungeon finder) and I'm already fucking sick of all of them.

nem-x
posted 01-23-2011 01:11:50 AM
I don't even bother with daily heroics since they are just way too long to slog through. I get close to the valor cap through raiding
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 01-23-2011 03:26:15 AM
I'm not getting to raid right now since, due to working night shift, all my guild's raid groups don't fit for me. Once that gets fixed, I might get to raid. Until then, I'm leveling alts.

But yeah, I'm not wanting to hit the random heroic button these days. 45 minutes to get a group that will fail and cause me to have wasted an hour? I do the daily heroic if I can get a guild group, skip it otherwise.

nem-x
posted 01-23-2011 12:08:58 PM
Rift seems to have Everquest's enchanter, bard, and magician. Also Warhammer's brightmage and chosen. There's probably more
Willias
Pancake
posted 01-23-2011 12:26:44 PM
It also looks like through Reaver and Void Knight, you could get pretty close to WoW's Death Knight.

Also looks like you could be a EQ Beastlord through the Warrior class as well.

nem-x
posted 01-23-2011 07:05:00 PM
It really seems like a bunch of overpowered classes fighting against other overpowered classes
Maradon!
posted 01-23-2011 08:14:37 PM
Wouldn't that make it kinda... balanced?
Mr. Parcelan
posted 01-24-2011 03:08:04 AM
PQs were bad because, unless you had a specific group makeup, you couldn't succeed. It was basically like trying to put together a raid PuG within two minutes.
nem-x
posted 01-25-2011 01:33:12 PM
First 15min impressions

It feels a lot more like Warhammer more than wow
The interface customization is straight up great
The different casting animations with the staff are a nice touch compared to casting from hands a la wow
I cant run it on max graphics with smooth framerates, but my cpu is somewhat old
The dance animation is fucking fantastic

nem-x
posted 01-25-2011 01:34:56 PM
the fucking carlton dance is in the game
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 01-25-2011 03:11:43 PM
Now it's feeling like EQ.

Can't connect to server....

**edit**

Then I get logged in, the server I had a char on is overloaded so I select a different one so I can checkout a different class. Play 5 minutes and get a message that they're bringing down the servers for a patch.

Yep! Like EQ.

Random Insanity Generator fucked around with this message on 01-25-2011 at 03:46 PM.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Willias
Pancake
posted 01-25-2011 08:46:46 PM
Meh, as far as I'm concerned, this is stress test part 1.

Sucks that the servers are being shitty, but I've managed to get a decent enough taste (when all of the servers weren't full) that I'm strongly considering pre-ordering this now.

Edit:

quote:
the fucking carlton dance is in the game

Aahahahaha. I thought I had seen the Guardian human dance before. The female human (Mathosian?) dance is from this.

Willias fucked around with this message on 01-25-2011 at 08:52 PM.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 01-25-2011 09:16:58 PM
I'm guessing this won't be out for Mac.
Willias
Pancake
posted 01-25-2011 09:46:16 PM
Probably not.

Blizzard is the only company I know of that always works on PC and Mac dual releases.

Maradon!
posted 01-25-2011 09:52:45 PM
That's because the mac market is bursting at the seams these days, soaring from their historical average 1% market penetration to nearly a whopping 8%.

Why, there must be tens of people willing to buy your mac MMO and justify adapting your code and having two entirely separate technical support bases.

I used the curse.com link up there to get into the latest beta event and so far the game seems "fun" in the way that these things do sometimes. I haven't really seen anything unique yet, except for the fact that it's kinda like each class has 10+ talent trees and you get to pick which 3 you want.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 01-25-2011 at 09:54 PM.

nem-x
posted 01-26-2011 04:10:31 AM
Servers for me were fine until that crazy ass rift invasion happened, then my ping shot up to 30k, and instantly went back down to 100 as soon as it ended.

Game seems like it would be fun for an easy two months, maybe three. But I only made it to level 13.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLYySQuIcrs

nem-x
posted 01-26-2011 06:03:09 AM
Also the best feature is loot one mob, and you automatically loot all mobs around it as well.
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 01-26-2011 09:06:40 AM
quote:
nem-x stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:
Also the best feature is loot one mob, and you automatically loot all mobs around it as well.

YES. Spend 15 minutes killing shittons of hostiles that just keep spawning and then with one click... BOOM.. loots.

Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 01-27-2011 08:36:14 AM
"goofing around" I leveled 1 char to 19 in ~14 hours.

Playing with a friend while at work, character to 15 in 6.5 hours.

Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 02-04-2011 07:24:17 AM
And Beta 6 starts up at 10am PST today, runs through Monday unless "Development Stupidity" makes them extend it like they did with Beta 5.

They're set for one more Beta phase after this before the "Head Start" launch on the 24th...

Maradon!
posted 02-04-2011 08:39:28 PM
Why do you put so many things in quotes?
Akiraiu Zenko
Is actually a giddy schoolgirl
posted 02-21-2011 01:42:03 PM
I approached the beta with a pretty skeptical mindset...

...then I cancelled WoW and preordered Rift, because it does everything WoW does better than WoW does it.

The artist formerly known as Zephyer Kyuukaze.
Willias
Pancake
posted 02-21-2011 04:22:28 PM
I don't want to say that this game does WoW better than WoW does, but the class customization, zone invasions, rift system, and pvp is significantly more fun than what WoW has at the moment.

And the game is fresh enough that is is more fun than most of the 80+ cataclysm content. Period.

I'm not sure what I want to do with my WoW account though, don't want to just quit and leave a guild behind that I've raided with for the past 2 years. D:

Maradon!
posted 02-21-2011 07:15:07 PM
quote:
Peanut butter ass Shaq Zephyer Kyuukaze booooze lime pole over bench lick:
I approached the beta with a pretty skeptical mindset...

...then I cancelled WoW and preordered Rift, because it does everything WoW does better than WoW does it.

I agree. Around level 1-10 I was only cautiously optimistic, but after 10 things really started to take off. The trades are fun, the rifts are very fun (and important even), and the class system is open and inventive without being too open.

You guys want to try and launch on the same server or do you have something else planned?

Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 02-21-2011 09:58:20 PM
I have no immediate plans other than "Start char, make bags".
Vallo, the Second Coming
Pancake
posted 02-22-2011 02:51:44 AM
quote:
Random Insanity Generator's account was hax0red to write:
I have no immediate plans other than "Start char, make bags".
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special."
Willias
Pancake
posted 02-22-2011 08:52:20 PM
Server list:

quote:
US Servers

* Lotham - PvP
* Faeblight - RP
* Sunrest - PvP-RP
* Belmont - PvE
* Spitescar - PvP
* Seastone - PvP
* Keenblade - PvE
* Deepstrike - PvP
* Greybriar - PvE
* Shatterbone - PvE
* Reclaimer - PvP
* Byriel - PvE
* Snarebrush - PvP
* Gnarlwood - PvE
* Briarcliff - PvP
* Wolfsbane - PvE
* Shadefallen - RP

I guess I'll end up on Greybriar as Guardian since that's the server I played on in beta. Was probably the lowest pop PvE server.

Maradon!
posted 02-22-2011 10:46:10 PM
quote:
Over the mountain, in between the ups and downs, I ran into Willias who doth quote:
Server list:

I guess I'll end up on Greybriar as Guardian since that's the server I played on in beta. Was probably the lowest pop PvE server.

Sounds as good as any. I can't even remember what server I was on in beta.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: