EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Rift
Maradon!
posted 02-24-2011 10:06:21 AM
HEAD START TODAY GUYS

Probably going to make a necrolockdom named Maradon just for old times sake.

Willias
Pancake
posted 02-24-2011 01:00:09 PM
I get an odd feeling they don't have enough servers.

Edit: Servers going to be coming down soon. If no new servers are added during the downtime, I'll be moving to Alsbeth, as it is the newest PvE server to go up.

Willias fucked around with this message on 02-24-2011 at 04:28 PM.

Maradon!
posted 02-24-2011 05:26:38 PM
All the servers have a queue now. Where is everyone? I haven't rolled yet.
Willias
Pancake
posted 02-24-2011 06:37:15 PM
I'm rolling a Mathosian warrior right now on Alsbeth. It's the newest of the PvE servers, so it SHOULD have the lowest queue.

Edit: Change dat, going to Aedraxis

Willias fucked around with this message on 02-24-2011 at 06:38 PM.

Akiraiu Zenko
Is actually a giddy schoolgirl
posted 02-24-2011 11:12:02 PM
I play Guardian on Greybriar, and Defiant on Shatterbone.

Probably going to be playing Defiant most frequently.

The artist formerly known as Zephyer Kyuukaze.
Maradon!
posted 02-27-2011 10:15:03 PM
I rolled on Estrael-Defiant on account of very low queues. Hit me up if you feel like busting some rifts.
DthBlayde
Pancake
posted 02-28-2011 06:37:36 AM
on Estrael as well - Defiant bard/bladedancer/riftstalker named Cyndaria
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 02-28-2011 01:10:47 PM
So, what does this game do differently compared to WoW and co.?
~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Willias
Pancake
posted 02-28-2011 04:22:23 PM
Short version: A game where the monsters you're fighting can actually attack the players back.

Long version:
--It's new.

--Unlike most other recent MMOs, this one isn't terrible past level 20 or so.

--Class system is interesting. You pick one of four different "callings" when making your character (Warrior, Rogue, Cleric, Mage). From here, as you play through the newbie area, you select 3 of 8 different "souls" which operate as your character's role and talent trees.

As an example, a Warrior can choose:

• Paladin (Tank - Specializes in single target and shields)
  • Reaver (Tank - Specializes in AoE)
  • Void Knight (Tank - Specializes in anti-magic)
  • Warlord (Tank - Specializes in group buffs.)
  • Champion (DPS - 2h weapons)
  • Paragon (DPS - Dual Wield)
  • Beastmaster (DPS - Pet)
  • Riftblade (DPS - Magic)

So in the newbie area (levels 1-6) you pick 3 of those souls as a warrior, and that determines what abilities you have access to, what abilities you can access as you level up, and what role your character will be.

You earn 66 talent points as you level up (1 every level, 2 every 3rd level) and as you put points into the tree for each soul, you unlock abilities specific to that soul. Maybe checked out what is effectively a talent calc for the game would demonstrate it a bit better: Zam's Rift Calc

Each calling can be:

• Warriors - Tank, melee DPS, Support.
  • Clerics - Tank, Healing, Ranged DPS, Melee DPS
  • Mages - Ranged DPS, Support, Control, and Healing.
  • Rogues - Melee DPS, Ranged DPS, Support/Healing.

And then on top of all that, your character can have up to 4 different combinations of souls that you can swap between any time you're not in combat.

--Finally, the game handles Warhammer's Public Quests a bit more elegantly, and on top of that, zones occasionally have these giant invasion events where the zone goes nuts and various quest hubs in the zone get zerged by NPC forces. Requirements for completion can vary from destroying enemy invasion forces, to closing rifts, to attacking enemy footholds and gathering resources. Completing these events gives really nice rewards to anyone who helped with the event.

The last thing is the reason I picked up the game. The massive invasions that happen are straight up amazing, and bring back memories of GM events from EverQuest and the ring event in the Great Divide in Velious.

Willias fucked around with this message on 02-28-2011 at 04:22 PM.

• nem-x
    posted 02-28-2011 05:03:48 PM
    I'm not playing Rift, but the npc's are the one that roam around ganking your shit while you're trying to craft at a small outpost town. And it's glorious.
    Willias
    Pancake
    posted 02-28-2011 05:37:10 PM
    The occasional crying in general chat because some dipshit let his quest hub get ravaged by elemental forces rather than go help defend is funny too.

Even better when it's one of the BIG invasions and the entire zone is fucked.

Akiraiu Zenko
    Is actually a giddy schoolgirl
    posted 02-28-2011 08:56:10 PM
    A couple days ago on Shatterbone, we actually lost Freemarch to the abyssal forces and had to retake all our outposts!
    The artist formerly known as Zephyer Kyuukaze.
    Mr. Parcelan
    posted 02-28-2011 10:21:23 PM
    That sounds like more of a drawback than anything else. Unless it's done so that one person can solo the invasions, there's going to be dead content.
    Willias
    Pancake
    posted 02-28-2011 11:06:10 PM
    The invasions eventually clear away on their own.

Also, the rate that invasions spawn is based on the number of people playing in a zone.

Later on, when there is drastically less people in the newbie zones, the cities won't be getting hit as hard.

Kaglaaz How'ler
    Pancake
    posted 03-01-2011 12:13:23 AM
    Speaking of the ring events from Velious, they're back with the new expansion. Have yet to do them, but a couple of Rift Betatesters that didn't join Rift have enjoyed them and compared them to Rift.
    http://www.bloodfin.net
    All times are US/Eastern
    Hop To: