EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Windows 7
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 02-22-2010 05:03:26 AM
I dragged myself out of the stone age and got it.

Where is my god damn classic start menu?

This new fangled start menu is shit.

Inferno-Spirit
Sports Advocate
posted 02-22-2010 07:21:50 AM
I've had it for a month and I don't even remember what XP looked like.

Upon comparing with the laptop's Vista I prefer 7's interface anyway.

Inferno-Spirit fucked around with this message on 02-22-2010 at 07:23 AM.

"He lets the last Hungarian go, and he goes running. He waits until his wife and kids are in the ground and he goes after the rest of the mob. He kills their kids, he kills their wives, he kills their parents and their parents' friends. He burns down the houses they grew up in and the stores they work in, he kills people that owe them money. And like that he was gone. Underground. No one has ever seen him again. He becomes a myth, a spook story that criminals tell their kids at night. 'If you rat on your pop, Keyser Soze will get you.' And nobody really ever believes." - Roger 'Verbal' Kint, The Usual Suspects
Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 02-22-2010 07:25:05 AM
I disliked the new start menu at first, too, Mort. Then I realized that most of what I ran was about 5-6 things, and just pinned said shortcuts to the taskbar and haven't looked back.

Do a google search for Windows 7 Godmode though. Makes a folder that does all the customization options in 7. :3

Blindy
Roll for initiative, Monkey Boy!
posted 02-22-2010 08:27:36 AM
quote:
Get the soap! Mortious just said:
I dragged myself out of the stone age and got it.

Where is my god damn classic start menu?

This new fangled start menu is shit.

You're an idiot.

On a plane ride, the more it shakes,
The more I have to let go.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 02-22-2010 09:59:32 AM
NO U

Windows Live Mail is also shit.

Everything else is pretty cool. I like Media Center quite a lot.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 02-22-2010 12:14:35 PM
The new start menu is one of the best changes in Vista/7 hope this helps

press start key -> start typing the name of the program -> you forget all about Windows XP

Blindy
posted 02-22-2010 12:14:54 PM
Windows live mail IS shit.

But the new start menu is tits.

Hit windows key. Type what you want. This is how computers should be used.

Blindy fucked around with this message on 02-22-2010 at 12:15 PM.

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 02-22-2010 12:40:24 PM
There was an old program that used to do this on Xp called Launchy. Was neat, you'd hit alt+space and it'd pop up a box that does the exact same as the 7 box, and it was limited to your start menu.
At least the 7 version is like, everything on your computer and stuff.

Only thing I haven't figured out is how to shut down the computer using only the keyboard. There something I'm missing, or what?

Blindy
posted 02-22-2010 01:21:59 PM
Windows Key.

Right arrow key.

Enter Key.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 02-22-2010 02:53:10 PM
I finally cleaned out my "My Documents" from XP and seperated everything into the appropriate Library (Videos, Pictures, etc).

I feel oddly liberated.

Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 02-22-2010 11:45:44 PM
Start -> Programs ?

It's still there... still works from what I can see.

I did swap back to the "windows classic" color set though. I still dislike the rounding they want to do to everything.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Mightion Defensor
posted 02-23-2010 03:22:17 AM
I put Windows 7 64-bit on this new PC. Damn, this runs smooth. I never had Vista on this PC, but I wasn't impressed by Vista on the crash machine at work, nor on my mother's Toshiba notebook.

One of my favorite features is the window preview when you point at the icon (such as Firefox) on the taskbar, and it gives those preview windows.

My favorite-ist feature is the fact that it's a fresh install on a brand-new PC which means I don't have to wait five minutes on bootup for Windows to finish getting its ducks in a row before the system would respond.

The Control Panel needs help, though.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 02-23-2010 04:07:32 AM
quote:
Random Insanity Generator had this to say about Knight Rider:
Start -> Programs ?

It's still there... still works from what I can see.

I did swap back to the "windows classic" color set though. I still dislike the rounding they want to do to everything.

and it's still slower than just typing goddamn guys

Similarly, while the control panel may not be laid out terribly well, you can either
a) type what item on control panel you want in the start menu
b) open control panel and use search (example: typing 'mouse' to get your mouse settings)

type type type type type type

Kegwen fucked around with this message on 02-23-2010 at 04:08 AM.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 02-23-2010 06:01:20 AM
But we're old fashioned grumpy old men who are stuck in our ways dammit.

.. and I think I'll get Outlook. Live Mail is driving me to insanity with its uselessness.

Blindy
posted 02-23-2010 09:39:52 AM
Why the hell would you use a email client when Gmail is superior in every possible way?
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 02-23-2010 10:07:07 AM
quote:
Mortious said:
Blindy
posted 02-23-2010 11:46:23 AM
Aren't you like 30?
Steven Steve
posted 02-23-2010 11:56:51 AM
email clients, lmao
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 02-23-2010 12:32:29 PM
You're never too young to start being a grumpy old git.

Seriously though, I've used Outlook Express since.. like.. when I first started using the internet. I don't know anything else. I'm just very comfortable with it.

Mightion Defensor
posted 02-23-2010 02:25:55 PM
quote:
Mortious wrote their words upon the rocks;

.. and I think I'll get Outlook. Live Mail is driving me to insanity with its uselessness.

Yeah, I thought it was odd the Windows Mail wasn't included. I went with Thunderbird though.

Blindy
posted 02-23-2010 03:02:05 PM
:psyduck:

Blindy fucked around with this message on 02-23-2010 at 03:02 PM.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 02-23-2010 03:32:13 PM
quote:
Channeling the spirit of Sherlock Holmes, Blindy absently fondled Watson and proclaimed:
Why the hell would you use a email client when Gmail is superior in every possible way?

That's just dumb.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Blindy
posted 02-23-2010 03:56:19 PM
quote:
When Bloodsage says stuff like this, it proves there isn't a god:
That's just dumb.

You're just dumb.

Mightion Defensor
posted 02-23-2010 04:25:33 PM
Here's a reason I use an email client:

I don't particularly like Roadrunner's web client.

I've been using a separate mailclient on my home PC since... oh god, Windows Mail and News back in IE 3.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 02-23-2010 05:38:58 PM
quote:
Bloodsage wrote this stupid crap:
That's just dumb.

How so? GMail is an absolutely viable replacement for an email client.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 02-23-2010 06:31:34 PM
quote:
Kegwen had this to say about Optimus Prime:
How so? GMail is an absolutely viable replacement for an email client.

Not if you run websites and wish to use the email accounts associated with them. Besides, Outlook manages my several emails accounts in one place, serves as a spectacular calendar solution, neatens up the myriad phone numbers and email addresses I have to keep track of, and serves as a repository for notes; all of the above syncs with my iPhone smoothly.

GMail is not a viable replacement for these functions.

Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 02-23-2010 06:52:37 PM
Sure it is.

quote:
Not if you run websites and wish to use the email accounts associated with them.

Settings > Accounts and Import > Add POP3 account (yes, I know POP3 is suboptimal, but if you're checking all these accounts on your iPhone you likely have each individually plugged into its mail application anyhow). Gmail can send and receive email on as many accounts as you want.

quote:
Besides, Outlook manages my several emails accounts in one place

If you do the above, so does Gmail.

quote:
neatens up the myriad phone numbers and email addresses I have to keep track of

google.com/contacts

quote:
and serves as a repository for notes

I use Google Tasks for this. It's built into my Gmail and syncs to my Android phone

quote:
all of the above syncs with my iPhone smoothly

This all syncs and is pushed to my Android phone. I honestly don't know how the iPhone gets along with Google's syncing mechanics vs Exchange or whatever, but I'm sure given the popularity of the iPhone that they have some level of support for it

I recognize that other people have different needs (and preferences!), but GMail has most of the features people can't live without. It's not for everyone, sure, but those features are most certainly there.

All of my accounts are accessible in full in one place anywhere without using Remote Desktop/VNC/etc. They're also all archived and searchable in one place with plenty of storage.

I've never used its offline mode so I can't really vouch for its effectiveness. It's basically a nonissue for my purposes, though.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 02-23-2010 07:11:45 PM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Kegwen wrote:
Sure it is.

This all syncs and is pushed to my Android phone. I honestly don't know how the iPhone gets along with Google's syncing mechanics vs Exchange or whatever, but I'm sure given the popularity of the iPhone that they have some level of support for it

I recognize that other people have different needs (and preferences!), but GMail has most of the features people can't live without. It's not for everyone, sure, but those features are most certainly there.

All of my accounts are accessible in full in one place anywhere without using Remote Desktop/VNC/etc. They're also all archived and searchable in one place with plenty of storage.

I've never used its offline mode so I can't really vouch for its effectiveness. It's basically a nonissue for my purposes, though.

Or I can open one program instead of multiple aspects of a website and have all of my functionality with no need to screw with whatever is required to get my phone to talk to Google.

I'm quite aware of GMail's multi-account functionality as I use it on one of my gmail accounts to retrieve from the rest of them; I intend to phase that account out at some point as I don't need it.

Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 02-23-2010 07:51:59 PM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Mightion Defensor said:
Yeah, I thought it was odd the Windows Mail wasn't included. I went with Thunderbird though.

It's available but a bit annoying to add in. There's optional update called Windows Live Essentials that lets you install various features, including Windows Mail.

Mightion Defensor
posted 02-23-2010 09:38:30 PM
quote:
It has been ordained by Primus, that there will be a Chosen One who will use the Matrix to "light our darkest hour." That darkest hour may come sooner if Damnati keeps posting things like this:
It's available but a bit annoying to add in. There's optional update called Windows Live Essentials that lets you install various features, including Windows Mail.

Yeah, I saw that - heck, Windows 7 itself told me when I typed "Where is Windows Mail" into Help. I just figured I'd try Thunderbird for a change.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 02-23-2010 10:30:19 PM
You don't get to bitch about Microsoft using their OS to piggie back applications then bitch when they don't piggie back applications.
Greenlit
posted 02-24-2010 01:31:39 AM
quote:
This one time, at Naimah camp:
You don't get to bitch about Microsoft using their OS to piggie back applications then bitch when they don't piggie back applications.

I'm glad I wasn't the only person noticing this lately.

Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 02-24-2010 03:31:35 AM
Thunderbird > Outlook as an IMAP client.

My phone syncs mail via IMAP as well. Yay Android and K9 as a mail app.

Since I use IMAP for my desktop client:
(1) Firefox keeps a lower memory footprint since I don't have to keep multiple extra tabs open (GMail and hosted domain)
(2) My email is the same on PC, Phone or "3rd party web access"

I hit the Win key and start typing... more than what I'm wanting pops up unless I type a good chunk of the name. Since I know where things are in Start -> Programs (because I actually organize my start menu) it's faster for me to hit things that way. MS fought to make the Start Menu a UI convention, now they feel like doing away with it. At least it's a slow transition this time compared to the "jarring" shift from Win3.x Program Manager to Win95.

Yes, there are a number of things that I hit Win-R and type in. Top 3 abused: cmd, calc, mspaint (I have to keep screenshots of things for work now)

I try not to think about the control panel. Who decided to ship that part out to the Special Olympics Management Division?

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 02-24-2010 04:03:37 AM
quote:
Naimah said:

I have never done the former, good sir.

*monocle*

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 02-24-2010 06:23:38 AM
Huh, I seem to be getting a lot of "snow" through my speakers when they're idle, at completely random times and for random lengths.

Plain old Audigy 2 using the latest Creative drivers which Creative say are fine for Windows 7. That suprised me a bit since the A2 is ancient in computing terms.

Anyone have similar "snow/static/fuzz" through their speakers at odd times using Creative cards?

Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 02-24-2010 07:12:09 AM
"Turn your cellphone off".
Blindy
posted 02-24-2010 10:26:19 AM
quote:
I bet Damnati's Mother is proud:
Not if you run websites and wish to use the email accounts associated with them. Besides, Outlook manages my several emails accounts in one place, serves as a spectacular calendar solution, neatens up the myriad phone numbers and email addresses I have to keep track of, and serves as a repository for notes; all of the above syncs with my iPhone smoothly.

GMail is not a viable replacement for these functions.

Actually Gmail is a viable replacement for each and every one of those functions.

Blindy
posted 02-24-2010 10:31:30 AM
quote:
I wish Damnati would say this more often:
Or I can open one program instead of multiple aspects of a website and have all of my functionality with no need to screw with whatever is required to get my phone to talk to Google.

What the hell does any of that mean?

And gmail acts exactly like an exchange server for your iphone, including contacts and calendar.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 02-24-2010 12:12:17 PM
quote:
Random Insanity Generator said:
"Turn your cellphone off".

It's not that. Not even remotely.

The cellphone gives a completely different tone.

Mightion Defensor
posted 02-24-2010 12:35:29 PM
I briefly considered putting the Audigy 2 from my previous PC into this new one, but while playing WoW and ST on this new one, I realized the onboard Realtek sound sounded better than the Audigy did.

Even more so when I got around to actually downloading the right drivers for it instead of letting it run off the drivers Windows installed for it...

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: