EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Mass Effect 2
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 01-30-2010 02:38:59 PM
Possibly the best opening scenes in any modern game.

Graphics are also gorgeous on the PC and run smoothly. Shepherd still talks like he's made entirely out of wood and has no personality whatsoever, but at least now HE'S FUCKING ROBOCOP.

No.

Really.

It's pretty good.

Greenlit
posted 01-30-2010 02:43:02 PM
And this is why you should play as a female Shepherd. Jennifer Hale is one of the best VAs around right now, Mark Meer is a rock.
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 01-30-2010 02:49:49 PM
I'm gay for male Shepherd.
~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 01-30-2010 03:17:13 PM
We are Cerberus.

We only employ good looking people. Fatties need not apply.

Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 01-30-2010 04:06:42 PM
I was looking for a new RPG to play and didn't realize this out out already. The first Mass Effect was one of my favorite games for the 360 but I finished it too quickly. The game made you feel a sense of urgency and I wasn't sure what would happen if I delayed too much with side missions. I left a lot unexplored but it didn't feel right to pick the game up again once I completed it.

The squeal seems tempting, but for some reason I'm a bit pensive about it.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 01-30-2010 05:12:31 PM
quote:
Ghost of Forums Past had this to say about Pirotess:

The squeal seems tempting

Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 01-30-2010 05:29:27 PM
Male Shepard is hot.

Voice acting to be a bit desired, but its better than the first game.

I'm about halfway through. This one will tide me over until Dante's Inferno comes out in two weeks.

I got it for the 360 and it handles pretty well. I'm not really a shooter fan, but I find myself getting into the combat with this game. You have to consider tactics with this, which is a plus, but sometimes it leaves me feeling like I am playing a midway game at a fair, you know, the one where you have to shoot the little wooden ducks as they parade in front of you?

But aside from that, good storytelling, good character developement, fun combat. I give it a 4 out of 5 right now. We'll see if it changes by endgame.

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 01-30-2010 09:17:01 PM
quote:
Ghost of Forums Past had this to say about Cuba:
The first Mass Effect was one of my favorite games for the 360 but I finished it too quickly.

what? do the sidequests

also: female Shepard supremacy

also also: ME2 is fantastic, 26 hours in~

Kegwen fucked around with this message on 01-30-2010 at 09:17 PM.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 01-30-2010 10:14:27 PM
Liara was the lesbian love interest in the last one. Who is it this time?
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 01-30-2010 10:21:37 PM
I'm pretty sure your new personal assistant lady will space bone you as female Shepard

The Asari matriarch won't and Tali can't

Steven Steve
posted 01-31-2010 12:41:19 AM
The scenes are so good you still can't spell the main character's name right despite looking at it for 30+ hours, eh Mortious?

Also I'm not entirely unsympathetic toward Mark Meer's voice, but that's probably because I'm an autistic borderline psychopath in real life so the inflection doesn't sound all that strange to me

"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Steven Steve
posted 01-31-2010 12:42:39 AM
For the record I also found Jennifer Hale to sound like a typical fatassed office worker trying to sound tough, instead coming across as a middle aged mother talking over her fat gullet rather than a badass savior of the universe.
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."

Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 01-31-2010 05:50:04 AM
The opening scene's all well and good, but would love to be able to skip it when trying out a new class.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 01-31-2010 07:45:39 AM
quote:
Steven Steve said:
The scenes are so good you still can't spell the main character's name right despite looking at it for 30+ hours, eh Mortious?

I'm only 4 hours in.

Shehepepepehhard.

Razortooth Gnome
The Artist Formerly Known As Anklebiter
posted 01-31-2010 08:36:31 AM
The characters were a lot better this time around, I think. I mostly didn't like Kaiden and Ashley in the first game. Legion, Tali, and Miranda stuck out the most. And those two engineers, they were great.

Razortooth Gnome fucked around with this message on 01-31-2010 at 08:37 AM.

Nina
posted 01-31-2010 10:49:20 AM
Shepard.

Wrex.

Akiraiu Zenko
Is actually a giddy schoolgirl
posted 01-31-2010 11:15:37 AM
For the record, I actually quite like Mark Meer's voice acting.

I'm itching to get my hands on this game! It's going to have to wait until later in the week, though, when the funds become available and I can wrangle up a ride to Hastings.

The artist formerly known as Zephyer Kyuukaze.
Taeldian
Pancake
posted 01-31-2010 01:04:41 PM
Just finished it last night. I liked it better than the first. Since the first one was one of my favorite games ever, that's a pretty big deal to me.

Male Shepard's acting sounds like the "Two X-Wings against a Star Destroyer?" guy from Empire Strikes Back.

Except it's every line. It's forced, stilted and soulless. Female Shepard is brilliant and convincing.

I'm shocked that anyone has ever made it off Eden Prime with male Shepard.

Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 01-31-2010 03:19:23 PM
The ending felt epic.

I'll be playing female Shepard through it now.

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 01-31-2010 08:33:51 PM
I'm working my way through the first one now. I really enjoy it, but a few issues stand out to me that I hope they're fixing in the next one.

First; does anyone else not like the way most of the side missions work?

Step 1: Go onto a planet, drive until you get to one of the three base entrances.

Step 2: Go into the base, kill ~5-8 things, loot 1-2 crates.

Step 3: Get back onto the surface.

Step 4: Repeat Steps 1 and 2 without any variation whatsoever a few times.

Complete.

Not saying they're bad, they just feel kinda bland. The plot-based missions make up for it; but do the side quests change it up at all in ME2?

Second; I can't remember my other minor gripe; but I'll post it if I remember.

My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 01-31-2010 08:47:47 PM
You'll be happy to learn that there isn't any surface driving at all in the sequel
Sentow, I Guess
Pancake
posted 01-31-2010 08:52:55 PM
quote:
Rodent King had this to say about Captain Planet:
The plot-based missions make up for it; but do the side quests change it up at all in ME2?

1. Most optional missions, including those you're aware of, have to be located from orbit with your scanner. When you orbit a planet with a side mission, you'll be informed of an anomaly. Your scanner will point towards this anomaly. Once you find it, you have to launch a probe at it to get the mission prompt.

This is mostly a pointless formality. The whole scanning / probing nonsense is my least favorite part of the game, but anyway.

2. The Mako has been taken out. When you land you go straight to the mission site, and when you leave you go straight back to the Normandy.

3. Both side missions and main missions are a lot shorter in ME2. OTOH, they're a little more diverse.

KIERKEGAARD

Sigpic shamelessly stolen from Kate Beaton.

Sentow, I Guess
Pancake
posted 01-31-2010 08:53:42 PM
quote:
Kegwen had this to say about Robocop:
You'll be happy to learn that there isn't any surface driving at all in the sequel

I'm not happy >:[

Sentow, I Guess fucked around with this message on 01-31-2010 at 08:54 PM.

KIERKEGAARD

Sigpic shamelessly stolen from Kate Beaton.

Nina
posted 02-01-2010 07:08:23 PM
This game has the worst system I've ever seen for bonus preorder/collector's edition content.

I have to link my gamertag to my EA account, but apparently entering the Cerberus Network code magically created an EA account for my gamertag to which I don't have any access whatsoever. Having an e-mail different between my Xbox LIVE account and EA account is clearly a cardinal sin.

I seriously feel like asking for a refund and then pirating the fucking thing.

Nina fucked around with this message on 02-01-2010 at 07:10 PM.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 02-01-2010 07:33:27 PM
Every company coming up with their own way of doing DLC needs to go away. That probably won't happen for 5-10 years or ever though.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 02-01-2010 07:52:51 PM
quote:
Naimah said:
Every company coming up with their own way of doing DLC needs to go away. That probably won't happen for 5-10 years or ever though.

Assassins Creed has it too.

... and it sucks.

Why.

Just why.

Nina
posted 02-01-2010 11:37:05 PM
Hey, at least Ubi.com lets you choose which account you actually want to use.

But yeah. Xbox Live already has a bunch of measures in place to allow promotional DLC codes, why force people to go through third party stuff? At least Dragon Age was well integrated with Steam -- I can only hope it was the same for Mass Effect 2 PC users.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 02-02-2010 04:01:11 AM
Mass Effect 2 PC DLC involved registering on the site and downloading executables that install the DLC for you. It's not handled through Steam.
Tarquinn
posted 02-02-2010 08:10:03 AM
Some twenty-ish hours in by now. Great game, slightly better than the first. Also better than Dragon Age, for the sole reason that your character has a voice.

Three things that I didn't like (really minor nitpicks):

- The 'levels'. You always run through tubes with not much happening and as soon as you see two or more boxes and other stuff, you know that bad guys will appear and start shooting at you. Every. Single. Time. Also the non shooting parts of the levels, that are supposed to represent every day life, didn't really feel realistical or practical to me. But I have never been on an alien world before, perhaps having an office consisting of nothing but a desk in a wide open area is the way to go in the future. Screw doors and privacy.

- Armor. What's the point of it anyway? If the chicks can get away with wearing nothing more than suspenders or latex, why isn't Shepard running around in t-shirt and boxers. I am sure that would be more comfortable than his armor.

- Massaging planets for resources. Why can't my asisstant or Edi do that for me?

quote:
Kegwen spewed forth this undeniable truth:
Mass Effect 2 PC DLC involved registering on the site and downloading executables that install the DLC for you. It's not handled through Steam.

That was rather annoying. It was so much better implemented in Dragon Age.

Tarquinn fucked around with this message on 02-02-2010 at 08:11 AM.

Steven Steve
posted 02-02-2010 10:39:49 AM
The planet scanning is horrible, but at least it's not as annoying as doing slo-mo Motocross Madness with the Mako

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 02-02-2010 03:09:31 PM
quote:
Steven Steve had this to say about Punky Brewster:
The planet scanning is horrible, but at least it's not as annoying as doing slo-mo Motocross Madness with the Mako

I'm just gonna climb this mountain at an 85 degree angle hold on

Greenlit
posted 02-02-2010 03:16:25 PM
I unironically love giving a colonoscopy to every planet I come across. It's very cathartic.
Nina
posted 02-02-2010 04:07:29 PM
quote:
Kegwen had this to say about Reading Rainbow:

and then press A once at the top to go careening down in one go!

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 02-02-2010 05:01:10 PM
I really enjoyed the Mako ok.
Tarquinn
posted 02-02-2010 05:06:28 PM
Oh, and I also wish I could use my spectre status a little bit more.
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 02-02-2010 06:11:52 PM
quote:
Nobody really understood why Tarquinn wrote:
Oh, and I also wish I could use my spectre status a little bit more.

I have a feeling that'll come back in to play in the third game.

Steven Steve
posted 02-02-2010 07:07:47 PM
quote:
Kegwen probably says this to all the girls:

*5 hours later*

*Mako slowly slides backward*

Arttemis
Not Squire... but a guitar!
posted 02-03-2010 11:39:35 PM
quote:
Kegwen had this to say about Robocop:
Tali can't

Maybe if you're femshep, she can't...

Arttemis fucked around with this message on 02-03-2010 at 11:40 PM.

Blindy
Roll for initiative, Monkey Boy!
posted 02-04-2010 12:42:02 PM
I played the first game and got bored after the 5 hour diplomatic shitfest on the station that followed the first mission.

Is this game riddled with stupid RUN OVER HERE AND TALK TO THIS PERSON. OK NOW RUN ALL THE WAY BACK AND TALK TO THIS PERSON type shit?

On a plane ride, the more it shakes,
The more I have to let go.
Tarquinn
posted 02-04-2010 01:00:36 PM
quote:
Blindy got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
I played the first game and got bored after the 5 hour diplomatic shitfest on the station that followed the first mission.

Is this game riddled with stupid RUN OVER HERE AND TALK TO THIS PERSON. OK NOW RUN ALL THE WAY BACK AND TALK TO THIS PERSON type shit?

No. It's much more streamlined.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: