EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Wii Fit Plus observations
Mightion Defensor
posted 01-05-2010 01:40:01 AM
So, for Christmas, I got a Wii Fit Plus, because I'd told my mother "In order for me to get in shape, it will have to be in the form of a video game."

I've actually been working on it every night since I got it, because I'm tired of my 38 year old body being as flexible as a piece of frozen cardboard (ie: not very).

Right now, My Routine consists of eight yoga exercises, followed by eight, or rather six, strength exercises, lasting about 30 minutes. I say eight or six because I repeat two of the strength exercises - Jackknife and Torso Twists, since my gut needs the extra work.

I usually play a few balance games before my routine, and do some Cycling afterward - today's workout was 75 minutes total, for 278 calories burned. Some random observations:

1. "Your balance is a little shaky. Try to stabilize your back and legs." Easy for you to say, sweetheart, you're made of weightless polygons, not x pounds of video gamer.

2. "As you exercise, try to visualize your ideal body." I am, but it kinda belongs to Megan Fox.

3. "Your leg is shaking a little bit." Actually, it's shaking a lot - thanks for noticing. I really hope my lower body gets stronger soon. I just can't keep either leg from shaking.

4. It's odd that even if, for example, you've unlocked 6 and 10 reps in say, Torso Twists, you can't do more than three reps if it's part of your custom routine. That's why I repeat Torso Twists and Jackknife.

5. Speaking of Jackknife, they need to add a three minute exercise that's done after it- I'd call it the "Somehow get my out-of-shape body off this floor" pose.

6. The Cycling game.... let's see, after finding all the flags on the beginner, advanced, and expert courses, I unlocked Free Ride. When I started Free Ride it said "No checkpoints in this one, feel free to ride around for thirty minutes." So, I did, and managed to stumble across a beach ball, that popped when I rode into it. The game tells me "Hey, there's twenty of these, can you find them?"

Oh, bloody hell. No checkpoints, huh? You could at least give me a total of how many of these balls I've popped. I bet there's one up that pain-in-the-ass-and-legs hill that the lighthouse is located on! Yep! Sadist bastards.

All that aside, it's only been twelve days, but I have to say my body feels better - it's been a few days since my side muscles have been sore, and it seems i've lost around 3 pounds in the past twelve days. Not sure how accurate it is - yesterday, out of nowhere, I dropped three pounds from Saturday's test. I gained back, like .4 pounds of it tonight, roughly.

My body isn't quite frozen cardboard any more- I'd say it's getting close to regular cardboard, and not quite at the point of soggy cardboard. Sure, it may not be as good as a gym membership, but it is fun, and it's gotta be better than nothing for a gamer such as myself.

I'd ask for constructive replies only, but I know you people too well. <-- smiley. Humor disclaimer and all that.

Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 01-05-2010 09:11:16 AM
Just keep it up. The worst thing you can do is 'take a break for awhile.'
nem-x
posted 01-05-2010 10:48:39 AM
Inferno-Spirit
Sports Advocate
posted 01-05-2010 11:13:03 AM

Inferno-Spirit fucked around with this message on 01-05-2010 at 11:13 AM.

"He lets the last Hungarian go, and he goes running. He waits until his wife and kids are in the ground and he goes after the rest of the mob. He kills their kids, he kills their wives, he kills their parents and their parents' friends. He burns down the houses they grew up in and the stores they work in, he kills people that owe them money. And like that he was gone. Underground. No one has ever seen him again. He becomes a myth, a spook story that criminals tell their kids at night. 'If you rat on your pop, Keyser Soze will get you.' And nobody really ever believes." - Roger 'Verbal' Kint, The Usual Suspects
Maradon!
posted 01-05-2010 05:31:04 PM
After I stopped throwing up every half hour, exercising got a lot easier.

Shaking the rust off a dilapidated and atrophied physique is painful, believe me, I know, but it's worth it.

Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 01-05-2010 05:36:58 PM
quote:
This one time, at Maradon! camp:
After I stopped throwing up every half hour, exercising got a lot easier.

Shaking the rust off a dilapidated and atrophied physique is painful, believe me, I know, but it's worth it.

Definitely. Granted, I've been past the throwing up all the time stage, but I am still considered pretty out of shape by Naval standards. I've recently put myself on mando PT at work so I can get from being simply adequate to being good at what I have to do.

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Maradon!
posted 01-05-2010 05:41:44 PM
Basically the quality of life of every human being revolves around how sexually attractive they are.

Fortunately, there's nothing you can't do with a little hard work.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 01-05-2010 08:07:50 PM
Oh God, does this mean you've lost your cherubic figure?!
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Maradon!
posted 01-05-2010 08:31:57 PM
My cherubimish cheek fat is receding. I've lost about 12lbs!

I was losing a lot at first but I've slowed down lately because I've gotten a little slack on the diet end of things. Holidays and such.

Number 1 Poster
posted 01-05-2010 08:48:02 PM
No eat carbs.

No eat them.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 01-06-2010 01:29:32 PM
quote:
Channeling the spirit of Sherlock Holmes, shut up you're fat absently fondled Watson and proclaimed:
No eat carbs.

No eat them.

That's not very healthy.

The good news is the latest research confirms what is intuitively obvious anyway: total calories is the biggest factor in weight loss. While what you eat isn't exactly irrelevant, it's not the big important factor everyone prozelytizing their favorite fad diet would have us believe. We all need carbs, fat, and protein for a healthy diet. Essentially, it's only elite athletes who are already at peak condition and looking to push their genetic boundaries who need concern themselves with complicated feeding schedules.

Exercise, eat three balanced meals a day with a couple of healthy snacks thrown in, and count your calories, and you can't fail to lose weight. Some people try to subtract calories from their current intake, but I think the best strategy is to pick your target weight and use that daily figure as your caloric goal.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 01-06-2010 01:44:17 PM
quote:
This one time, at Maradon! camp:
My cherubimish cheek fat is receding. I've lost about 12lbs!

I was losing a lot at first but I've slowed down lately because I've gotten a little slack on the diet end of things. Holidays and such.

I'm not sure what kind of training you do, but weight loss cannot be an accurate measurement for the success of it.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Azakias
posted 01-06-2010 05:08:58 PM
quote:
Verily, Bloodsage doth proclaim:
That's not very healthy.

The good news is the latest research confirms what is intuitively obvious anyway: total calories is the biggest factor in weight loss. While what you eat isn't exactly irrelevant, it's not the big important factor everyone prozelytizing their favorite fad diet would have us believe. We all need carbs, fat, and protein for a healthy diet. Essentially, it's only elite athletes who are already at peak condition and looking to push their genetic boundaries who need concern themselves with complicated feeding schedules.

Exercise, eat three balanced meals a day with a couple of healthy snacks thrown in, and count your calories, and you can't fail to lose weight. Some people try to subtract calories from their current intake, but I think the best strategy is to pick your target weight and use that daily figure as your caloric goal.

We've got this lemonade diet bullshit going around my command now and people are swearing up and down that it is helping them remove 'toxins' from their bodies.

What the hell toxins exist that your own organs cant remove for you? Well, aside from heavy metal poisoning, of course...

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Maradon!
posted 01-06-2010 05:31:54 PM
quote:
Over the mountain, in between the ups and downs, I ran into Tarquinn who doth quote:
I'm not sure what kind of training you do, but weight loss cannot be an accurate measurement for the success of it.

Weight loss is the sole object of my training, so yes it can.

Maradon!
posted 01-06-2010 05:33:24 PM
quote:
Azakiasing:
We've got this lemonade diet bullshit going around my command now and people are swearing up and down that it is helping them remove 'toxins' from their bodies.

What the hell toxins exist that your own organs cant remove for you? Well, aside from heavy metal poisoning, of course...

"Toxins" is one of those red-flag words that virtually guarantees that what you're listing to is total bullshit.

"Experts say" is another good one.

Number 1 Poster
posted 01-06-2010 05:45:45 PM
carbs make body make insulin
insulin make calories and make them fat
fat make you fat
no eat carbs no get insulin no get fat
fat protein yum
carbs protein yuck

steak eggs breakfast
peanuts lunch
peanuts lunch
steak eggs dinner

yum
live life
get swole

Number 1 Poster
posted 01-06-2010 05:59:45 PM
get swoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooole

Maradon!
posted 01-06-2010 06:01:00 PM
I DON'T BELIEVE YOUR FAD DIET DELIDGAMOND
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 01-06-2010 07:31:45 PM
I still see it when I close my eyes.
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 01-07-2010 04:15:22 AM
quote:
Tarquinn painfully thought these words up:

For better or worse weight loss is the foremost goal for the vast majority of people that start to care about their figure

For the most part, though, most people will achieve results that satisfy them with cardio and calorie counting. I doubt most people care about weight training and actually being fit. I sure don't!

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 01-07-2010 06:40:20 AM
quote:
Verily, the chocolate bunny rabbits doth run and play while Kegwen gently hums:
For better or worse weight loss is the foremost goal for the vast majority of people that start to care about their figure

For the most part, though, most people will achieve results that satisfy them with cardio and calorie counting. I doubt most people care about weight training and actually being fit. I sure don't!

The point is that weight isn't an accurate measure...of anything, really. Since muscle not only weighs more than flab, but also burns more calories just sitting there, it's quite possible through weight training to take multiple inches off yet still weigh the same.

Weight is an indicator, but it's better to measure the waist (or whatever you're trying to make smaller/bigger) and track real pogress that way. Let's face it: if you weighed the same, but had your ideal body dimensions, you'd probably be happy.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 01-07-2010 10:39:21 AM
Exactly.

Thanks.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Vallo, the Second Coming
Pancake
posted 01-07-2010 12:54:46 PM
Carbs are not bad unless you shovel them down without burning them off.
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special."
Mr. Parcelan
posted 01-07-2010 10:25:39 PM
I've been having too many carbs and such. My trainer is advocating an end to all wheat, but that seems like it might be pretty tough.
Steven Steve
posted 01-07-2010 11:03:10 PM
Wii Fit is terrible. Here's a summary of my experiences:

I start up Wii Fit Plus. I go through the registration, put down my height, etc. It tells me I'm overweight and my Mii becomes fat (lol). Then it tries to teach me what BMI is, which it claims is a measurement of "body fat" (direct quote) and that I need to get down to a 22.5 BMI to be healthier (145 pounds on a 5'8" frame). Yes, brilliant. Then it goes through its chiropractic bullshit about posture and tests my balance, which ends up being like 52% on my right foot and 48% on my left. Apparently this constitutes a biological age of 32 (I'm 21) and my Mii takes on some elderly stance of rubbing its knee and lower back. The Wii assures me that it can whip me into shape so a few moments later and I'm doing some strength training "exercises". I start out with the push up and side plank thing and after 6 push ups the game informs me that I am a "body builder". Okay, so I go on and for my amusement I do the overhead tricep extension thing with the Wiimote (lol). You pretty much know how that went. Then I did the game where you jog behind the cat with the Wiimote in your pocket, and realized I was wasting my fucking time and turned the thing off and put Darkside Chronicles back in.

In conclusion Wii Fit Plus is an absurd, ill-informed, useless overpriced POS, ineffective at both providing effective exercises or entertaining, much like the rest of the first-party Wii "games". It constantly tells you you're fat, even if you're like 220 pounds of pure muscle or an Olympic athlete, and then after a hard 30 minutes of bouncing the Wiimote up and down or waving your arms around it tells you to eat a meal of protein and fat. Wow that's great advice you stupid nips.

There are two kinds of people who take Wii Fit seriously:
1. Old people
2. Insane people

You can decide the rest.

Also, humans barely need carbohydrate, I mean they need like 50 grams per day maximum. Fructose and sucrose are digested nearly like ethanol and are generally horrible for you, while things like glucose and polysaccharides are less awful. Delidgamond is right to limit carbohydrates although his diet is still insane and he seems to not care about actual nutrition, but then again I've seen people subsist off of hot dogs and eggs and be buff as hell. You don't need to eat any grains at all, nor beans, or any of that shit, unlike what the FDA will tell you.

"'As you exercise, try to visualize your ideal body.' I am, but it kinda belongs to Megan Fox."

I just wanted to quote that again for homoerotic emphasis, and also to say that Megan Fox has clubbed thumbs (of course) and a unibrow so I guess you must like those traits a lot

Steven Steve fucked around with this message on 01-07-2010 at 11:03 PM.

"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Steven Steve
posted 01-07-2010 11:08:50 PM
Also peanuts have plenty of carbohydrates Delid you maniac, although I know you're probably just eating them because they're cheap, but you might as well eat some canned spinach or something instead so you don't get scurvy like someone in Oregon Trail
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."

Mightion Defensor
posted 01-08-2010 03:20:14 AM
Yes, the Wii Fit Age is complete and total BS - pretty much every professional review agrees on that. I've had it tell me once my Wii Fit age was 21. Yes, 21.

And yes, BMI is apparently not the best measuring tool, but what other method for determining body mass that takes into account muscle vs. fat can you expect a Wiimote and a super fancy bathroom scale to have? It can't see you.

Yes, my eyebrows raised when doing the Jackknife, it told me I had great strength. Now, considering you have no contact with the BB once your feet leave it, how can it tell?

All I know is I've been using it on average at least an hour a day since I got it, burning anywhere from 130-280 calories (depending if I go Cycling or not for the half hour after my routine). I wouldn't have gotten that exercise if I didn't have it. Heck, the other day it upgraded my Fit Bank to bronze color since I'd put 10 total hours in.

That's ten hours of exercise I wouldn't have gotten otherwise. Sure, I'd prolly have had better results with a gym or something a lot more expensive, but I still believe it's better than no exercise - and yes, my body is slowly improving as far as flexibility and stamina, in my amateur opinion, and I've lost three pounds so far.

However, there's probably no way in hell I'll ever get down to the 171.5 pound weight it recommends for 6'2 me short of being lost at sea for a week.

You tried it once, experienced the most moronic parts of the Wii Fit Plus, spent what sounds like less than half an hour on it, and decided it was garbage.

By that standard, my opinion of it is declared to be literally 20 times more accurate than yours. It's not perfect, it says dumb things sometimes (It's never told me to eat anything, though it does look unfavorable at my staying up late), but it gets me out of this chair for an hour a night to exercise, however badly.

It is not garbage to me. Or to literally millions of other people.

Number 1 Poster
posted 01-08-2010 04:02:24 AM
quote:
Steven Steve got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
Also peanuts have plenty of carbohydrates Delid you maniac, although I know you're probably just eating them because they're cheap, but you might as well eat some canned spinach or something instead so you don't get scurvy like someone in Oregon Trail

I try and keep under 50 net carbs. My peanuts put me to 48. They are delicious and cheap. Spinach may be cheap, but it is not delicious.

Plus I can put them in a little juice box and eat them while at work with my disgustingly filthy hands

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 01-08-2010 09:04:19 AM
You could also put spinach in a box and eat it with your hands. Though that may make you 'that guy'.
Azakias
posted 01-08-2010 11:00:05 AM
quote:
Mightion Defensor had this to say about Tron:
Stuff

Good diet alone can actually help drop the pounds. Unfortunately, going from a regular 'eat what you want' diet to stict calorie counting really sucks. I know because I have done this. However, I also lost 24 pounds in the span of a month and a half, though it was combined with exercise.

And dont feel bad about the goal weight crap - everyone is built differently and I know that I would look emaciated if I were to actually get to my 'target' weight of 130. That's the civilian weight scale though, for the military my target weight is 155.

While the WII Fit is probably not the best workout choice you could do, at least you are doing something, which is a lot more than most people. Just a suggestion, though, if you want to do something to burn more calories that wont make you terribly sore, try doing a brisk walk for an hour. That burns somewhere in the neighborhood of 400 calories. Sounds kinda scary to start out with, but one hour's brisk walk is about four miles.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 01-08-2010 01:30:31 PM
BMI is mostly bullshit anyway.

I still laugh every time one of my friends talks about it like it should be taken seriously.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 01-08-2010 01:46:47 PM
Seriously? No one's going to talk about the fact that one of Delid's nuts is hanging out in that animated gif he posted? Christ, you guys are jaded.

Beer.

Mightion Defensor
posted 01-08-2010 03:58:59 PM
quote:
Karnaj fell asleep and read just about every paragraph.
Seriously? No one's going to talk about the fact that one of Delid's nuts is hanging out in that animated gif he posted? Christ, you guys are jaded.

Well, I for one barely looked at the .gif, without focusing on his crotch.

Kaiote
Shot in the Face
posted 01-08-2010 06:29:15 PM
quote:
Mightion Defensor obviously shouldn't have said:
Well, I for one barely looked at the .gif, without focusing on his crotch.

This is the most gay sounding thing I think I have ever read here. Your grammar thinks you are a homo.

Edit: That includes anything the local fagfags have ever spewed out.

Edit Edit: It does not exclude what Mort slipped into Avatar chat that night when I crashed my TIE into his yacht.

Kaiote fucked around with this message on 01-08-2010 at 06:30 PM.

Henry had been killed by a garden gnome.He had fallen off the roof onto that cheerful-looking figure. The gnome was made of concrete. Henry wasn't. - Dean Koontz, Velocity
Mightion Defensor
posted 01-08-2010 06:54:53 PM
quote:
It has been ordained by Primus, that there will be a Chosen One who will use the Matrix to "light our darkest hour." That darkest hour may come sooner if Kaiote keeps posting things like this:
This is the most gay sounding thing I think I have ever read here. Your grammar thinks you are a homo.

Edit: That includes anything the local fagfags have ever spewed out.

Edit Edit: It does not exclude what Mort slipped into Avatar chat that night when I crashed my TIE into his yacht.

Let me rephrase- I didn't really look at the gif, or spend time focusing on his crotch.

Steven Steve
posted 01-08-2010 10:57:45 PM
Punchout with IR controls or any of the Wii Sports except golf and bowling are literally superior workouts compared to anything you will find on Wii Fit

Here is a physique you can obtain doing exercises other than those on the Wii Fit

Here is the best physique you can obtain only doing Wii Fit

Godspeed

Dr. Gee
Say it Loud, Say it Plowed!
posted 01-09-2010 09:14:36 PM
quote:
Steven Steve stopped beating up furries long enough to write:

Godspeed

Holy shit, it's Mighteon!

Mightion Defensor
posted 01-10-2010 01:08:10 AM
quote:
And the Replyobots combined to form Dr. Gee, who roared:
Holy shit, it's Mighteon!

Nah, the hair isn't long enough. Actually that body would be a vast improvement over the one I'm currently saddled with (no, I'm not taking pics for you lot).

Mightion Defensor
posted 01-10-2010 01:09:33 AM
quote:
Steven Steve wrote:
Punchout with IR controls or any of the Wii Sports except golf and bowling are literally superior workouts compared to anything you will find on Wii Fit

Here is a physique you can obtain doing exercises other than those on the Wii Fit

Godspeed

There's no way in hell I could get my 38 year old body to look like that - and why would I want to.

Oh, your opinion on Wii Fit carries no weight since you've only used it once, very briefly. You know nothing for fact.

Number 1 Poster
posted 01-10-2010 06:53:21 AM
Q: How much cardio do I have to do to get a body like this?

A: None

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: