EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Wii Fit Plus observations
Trent
Smurfberry Moneyshot
posted 01-10-2010 04:28:52 PM
we got the wii fit.

and it's good. it's not a gym, it's not a hard core training program to be sure, but it's great for getting non-gymrats/bunnies up and moving.

no, i won't end up with a super buff body or anything close, but i will be moving more, i will be feeling better and overall i will be a hell of a lot better off than if i did nothing at all.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 01-10-2010 04:43:22 PM
A lot of interesting stuff here.

Steve's right that you can't get ripped using WiiFit...but that's not the point of the program. It can take you from couch potato to average fitness, though. And some of the programs, such as the step aerobics and yoga, are actually pretty good.

And, sure, you won't die without carbs, but they are a really good source of energy and fiber if you eat the right kind and tailor the quantity to you activity level. There's a reason endurance athletes carbo load.

Delid's got a point that you can get buff without either cardio or stretching. But so what? You'll have big muscles and be limber as a 2x4 and unable to run a lap. Woot? Even elite bodybuilders incorporate some flexibility and cardio into their workouts, for good reason.

If your goal is something less than bodybuilding, it's good to combine weights with cardio and flexibility. And total calories remains much more important than the ratio of carbs to protein. The complicated stuff is only important if you aspire to be an elite athlete.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Maradon!
posted 01-10-2010 08:43:56 PM
quote:
Peanut butter ass Shaq Mightion Defensor booooze lime pole over bench lick:
Oh, your opinion on Wii Fit carries no weight since you've only used it once, very briefly. You know nothing for fact.

Haha, so wait, how much longer should he have played to get to the part where they admit that BMI is bullshit?

Mightion Defensor
posted 01-10-2010 08:51:50 PM
quote:
It has been ordained by Primus, that there will be a Chosen One who will use the Matrix to "light our darkest hour." That darkest hour may come sooner if Maradon! keeps posting things like this:
Haha, so wait, how much longer should he have played to get to the part where they admit that BMI is bullshit?

It's already been conceded that BMI is bullshit. *I* think BMI is bullshit. Most professional reviews of the thing say BMI is bullshit. Doesn't make the whole product worthless.

It's a four-sensor scale that can only determine center of balance and weight. What other value *can* it measure, besides BMI? It's technically

Greenlit
posted 01-10-2010 08:52:25 PM
quote:
Mightion Defensor spewed forth this undeniable truth:
There's no way in hell I could get my 38 year old body to look like that - and why would I want to.

Oh, your opinion on Wii Fit carries no weight since you've only used it once, very briefly. You know nothing for fact.

You do realize that Steve is probably the most fitness knowledgeable person in your sad little life, right? Exercise for Steve is not a video game and a set of Perfect Push-ups, it's his fucking lifestyle, you petulant shit.

Greenlit
posted 01-10-2010 08:53:16 PM
you make me irrationally angry

it's some sort of kryptonite

Skaw
posted 01-10-2010 09:00:28 PM
Get an exercise bike and play real video games while you real exercise, you fat fucks.
Maradon!
posted 01-10-2010 09:02:24 PM
I want an exercise bike too.

Next big expenditure once I pay off my TV.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 01-11-2010 04:29:27 AM
Bikes are so 80's.

Get an elliptical trainer.

Addy
posted 01-11-2010 10:46:57 AM
Wii Fit, from what I understand, is pretty decent for warming up/cooling off and for people in physical therapy. Although any game that gets people off the couch and more active is good in my book. One game that is fun for me anyway is the EA Sports Active. It's better cardio than Wii Fit.

But like others have suggested, definitely look into investing in an elliptical or a gym membership when the time comes. Look into getting some free weights too. I personally find lifting more rewarding than cardio.

In terms of food, eat 5 small balanced meals a day. Ignoring carbs is dumb, but your diet also shouldn't just be them.

A 38 year old can definitely get in shape. Hell my dad is almost 58, suffered from a heart attack awhile ago that was supposed to kill him, and now he is running in marathons.

edit: Damn, Delid, I hope you are at least taking multi-vitamins, fish oil, or some other nutrients. Sure it will get you buff but the lack of nutrition is going to affect you when you're older.

Addy fucked around with this message on 01-11-2010 at 10:53 AM.

Number 1 Poster
posted 01-11-2010 04:06:55 PM
Multi vitamin once a day
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 01-11-2010 04:13:16 PM
Taken rectally to ensure maximum absorption. Also, because it's fun.
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 01-11-2010 04:59:24 PM
THEY looked into multivitamins and found out they were complete money-draining bullshit.

You do not argue with THEM.

Akiraiu Zenko
Is actually a giddy schoolgirl
posted 01-11-2010 06:18:10 PM

Zephyer Kyuukaze fucked around with this message on 01-11-2010 at 06:19 PM.

The artist formerly known as Zephyer Kyuukaze.
Dr. Gee
Say it Loud, Say it Plowed!
posted 01-11-2010 07:54:58 PM
quote:
Greenlit had this to say about the Spice Girls:
You do realize that Steve is probably the most fitness knowledgeable person in your sad little life, right? Exercise for Steve is not a video game and a set of Perfect Push-ups, it's his fucking lifestyle, you petulant shit.

qft

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 01-11-2010 11:19:30 PM
I've been working out trying to get into shape for the next sailing season and was starting to wonder if there are more/better exercises I can be doing then what I do currently. Basically while sailing I have to be able to pull ropes from a seated position that can have pretty high loads on them. Other activities but other then the occasional scrambling around the deck pretty much the most demanding part of whole exercise.

I've mostly been focusing on Chin-ups and dips (assisted for the time being) and can't think of much else that really targets the needed muscle groups. Any other ideas?

Dr. Gee
Say it Loud, Say it Plowed!
posted 01-12-2010 02:12:07 AM
quote:
Naimah impressed everyone with:
I've been working out trying to get into shape for the next sailing season and was starting to wonder if there are more/better exercises I can be doing then what I do currently. Basically while sailing I have to be able to pull ropes from a seated position that can have pretty high loads on them. Other activities but other then the occasional scrambling around the deck pretty much the most demanding part of whole exercise.

I've mostly been focusing on Chin-ups and dips (assisted for the time being) and can't think of much else that really targets the needed muscle groups. Any other ideas?

There are actual cable machines that could simulate this well, although most of them are from standing positions. Obviously you'd need a gym for this though. Something like bent over rows might be good too. Dunno. Row machines set to super high resistance?

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 01-12-2010 08:42:19 AM
Looking around I had come across an exercise where you basically do a row laying chest down on a bench. Haven't done it because it's weird looking and don't want to draw any more attention to myself then I have to. Cursed public places.
Number 1 Poster
posted 01-12-2010 09:21:28 AM
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 01-12-2010 03:25:03 PM
quote:
Channeling the spirit of Sherlock Holmes, Naimah absently fondled Watson and proclaimed:

Seated cable rows sound like what you need, as well as lat pull-downs as an alternative to assisted pull-ups.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 01-12-2010 07:20:40 PM
quote:
ACES! Another post by shut up you're fat:
Hello

That would be great if I knew what muscle groups I actually needed. I know what I do, not what I do does.

Number 1 Poster
posted 01-12-2010 07:28:40 PM
Back for pulling chest for pushing
Steven Steve
posted 01-14-2010 05:14:45 PM
After returning to this forum for my semimonthly visit I just looked at the second page of this thread and laughed

"It gets me moving" - anyone's defense for this awful program

I'm moving now

Finally I can be healthy again

"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Steven Steve
posted 01-14-2010 05:17:20 PM
quote:
Naimah was naked while typing this:
Looking around I had come across an exercise where you basically do a row laying chest down on a bench. Haven't done it because it's weird looking and don't want to draw any more attention to myself then I have to. Cursed public places.

It's called a pronated row, and it's an actual exercise, although you might as well do bent over or one arm rows (bent over at the waist and rowing or rowing one dumbbell while using the other hand for support on your knee, respectively) or just a seated row machine. No one thinks twice if they see you doing these exercises unless they're 12 year old girls that think exercise = "moving".

"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."

Trent
Smurfberry Moneyshot
posted 01-14-2010 06:35:22 PM
well Steve, ya don't like it, don't use it. if you feel you must bitch about it to the world feel free, won't change my opinion or use of the thing.
Steven Steve
posted 01-14-2010 09:58:49 PM
Okay, Wii Fit sucks

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: