EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Poll: Are you playing Dragon Age: Origins?
Author
Topic: Dragon Age: Origins
Mr. Parcelan
posted 10-29-2009 11:20:01 PM
Are you playing it?

I'm on the fence about it, currently.

I switched to a Mac some time ago, thus negating chances of going PC version. If the console version plays significantly worse, I'll just go fuck off until Assassin's Creed 2. Beyond that, the marketing really, really turned me off on it for awhile. The other trailers, though, have turned out fairly good, though.

Also, it has Steven Blum...Steven Blum doing a dwarven accent.

Really, the only thing compelling me is an odd cocktail of nostalgia for Bioware's games, curiosity and a vague yearning for a Western RPG.

Has anyone heard anything about it that may prove useful in tipping the scales?

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 10-30-2009 07:55:34 AM
I've pre-ordered it. Been yearning for a decent Baldurs Gate style RPG for eons. The Witcher was.. ok.. I guess.. but it had the same flaws all Eastern European RPG's do, ie sometimes the translations were wonky and it didn't make sense.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 10-30-2009 08:17:50 AM
How many Eastern European RPGs do you play?
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 10-30-2009 08:54:21 AM
There's quite a lot which have tons of potential but have been translated poorly with horrible English voice acting. Like The Witcher and the Gothic series (which I hear is awesome in.. German? Or something. It's shit in English).
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 10-30-2009 02:15:07 PM
Already pre-ordered my collector's edition.

But to be honest, at this point I'd buy Bioware's excrements, if they'd put thme into a nice box for me.

quote:
Mortious got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
There's quite a lot which have tons of potential but have been translated poorly with horrible English voice acting. Like The Witcher and the Gothic series (which I hear is awesome in.. German? Or something. It's shit in English).

Germany isn't Eastern Europe.

We tried to make Eastern Europe Germany, but that's a whole different story.

Also, Gothic is awesome. Try Risen (for the PC). The voice acting is supposed to be actually better than the German version this time. John Rhys Davies as one of the main characters, for example.

Tarquinn fucked around with this message on 10-30-2009 at 02:17 PM.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 10-30-2009 03:42:04 PM
I spotted Risen earlier, downloading a demo now. Let's give this a whirl.
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 10-30-2009 03:53:14 PM
Anyone played Torchlight? I've heard a lot of good things about it
Mr. Parcelan
posted 10-30-2009 05:02:03 PM
The control scheme for DA's console version looks pretty slick.

I'm pretty much resigned to getting this.

Should I be an elf whore or a bald misanthrope?

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 10-30-2009 06:13:21 PM
I'm stuck between the Human Noble and a Mage of some description. My normal archetype in RPG's would be the human noble (a good-aligned warrior, since beating shit up under a twisted sense of righteousness is fun), but the Mage storyline looks extremely interesting. That and the Mage can turn into other shit like giant spiders. Who doesn't want to be a giant spider? Fags, that's who.

Due to my short attention span and the reported length of this game, I'll likely only play through once then forget about it. SO I SHALL PICK WISELY.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 10-30-2009 07:22:50 PM
The game changes based on your origin story? What is the list, sir.
Sentow, I Guess
Pancake
posted 10-30-2009 11:50:26 PM
quote:
Kegwen had this to say about Optimus Prime:
Anyone played Torchlight? I've heard a lot of good things about it

It's very derivative of Diablo. Very derivative; like Runic used the Diablo III trailer as their design doc. The story is pretty much non-existent and serves only to move your character from one terrible foe to the next.

But it's still fun, and I love the Fable-like (Fablesque?) art direction. Plus, it runs smoothly and looks good even on my terrible computer.

And it's only $20!

So I'd recommend it.

As for Dragon Age, I've got it pre-ordered for the 360. I didn't need an overhead view for Knights of the Old Republic or Mass Effect, and by Crom I don't need one for this game.
And my computer probably wouldn't run it BUT ANYWAY.

KIERKEGAARD

Sigpic shamelessly stolen from Kate Beaton.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 10-30-2009 11:58:58 PM
well I mean they created Diablo I and II so they can steal from it all day long
Dr. Gee
Say it Loud, Say it Plowed!
posted 10-31-2009 02:47:23 AM
PC

I'm both excited and pretty ignorant about the game. I can't wait.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 10-31-2009 06:08:26 AM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan said:
The game changes based on your origin story? What is the list, sir.

Not sure as there isn't a full list. But it goes something like this:

Human Noble. (warrior archetype)
Mage. (mage archtype, duh)
City Elf. (looks like a warrior/thief archetype)
Dwarf Noble. (warrior archtype)
Dwarf Commoner. (warrior/thief archetype)
Daelish Elf. (wood elf archer/scout archetype)

The brackets are just my wild guesses based on what I've seen. The main storyline will be the same, but a lot of things wildly change based on what origin story you choose.

For example, Mages always remember what happens in The Fade (the place you go when you dream/die) and are capable of interacting with the demons/angels/spirits that inhabit the place so I can see that being a big part of their storyline. Non-mages cannot interact with it and forget everything they've seen there when they wake up.

Mortious fucked around with this message on 10-31-2009 at 06:11 AM.

Nina
posted 10-31-2009 10:06:25 AM
quote:
This one time, at Mortious camp:
The brackets are just my wild guesses based on what I've seen.

Apart from Magi, the backgrounds don't have anything to do with class. The rest is just race-based. All non-mage humans are nobles, all non-mage elves can be either Daelish or city elves, and all dwarves are either noble or commoners.

Greenlit
posted 11-03-2009 12:06:16 AM
I must need to hand in my nerd card or something, but this game is terribly fucking boring.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 11-03-2009 07:13:31 AM
Welp..

I played Risen..

I'm of two minds about it. I'll say right off the bat it's INCREDIBLY FUCKING DIFFICULT, definately made more in the line of the old school hardcore "this will kill you if you look at it wrong" dungeon crawler games. Only without the dungeons, as most of it is set outside like Oblivion (though there are dungeons, they are relatively small).

Getting into Harbour Town (gg imaginative naming scheme) then getting to be a Mage seems the best path, as creatures which would OWN me in melee are now beaten down like red headed stepchildren from a distance. If you get caught by the Inquisition before you get inside the town, welp, you're fucked because you're forced into the Inquisition and they're poo because they can't learn Rune Magic. Crystal Magic is like a wet sneeze compared to Rune Magic's explosive fart. Crystal Magic = the normal fireball, ice spear, magic missile stuff. Rune Magic = creating fucking fire from the fucking sky.

Overall an enjoyable game if you can overlook its flaws. It's quite buggy so save often in different slots in case your quests bug up (they only bug rarely). The English voice acting is actually pretty good for a mainland European game.

I'd wait until it goes down in price before you buy it though. Seems worth more like £10 than £25. Or a rental for console.

Tarquinn
posted 11-03-2009 11:56:01 AM
Didn't encounter single bug, or crash during my playthrough.

Well, some clipping errors.

Tarquinn fucked around with this message on 11-03-2009 at 11:56 AM.

Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 11-03-2009 12:00:54 PM
So while I wait for Dragon Age to finish installing on my PC, I'll share some things from the instruction manual.

There are 3 races, obviously. Human, Elf, and Dwarf.

There are 3 basic class archetypes, warrior, mage, rogue. These 3 have 4 specs each in them.

Warriors can become Bersekers (name says it all), Champions (battlefield commanders it sounds like), Templars (anti-magic warriors), and Reavers (masochists who flirt with death in hopes of bringing the same fate on their enemies.)

Magi can become Arcane Warriors (gives us some of their direct magic power for becoming a mix of mage and warrior), Blood Mage (using life force to fuel it, their magic is ugly but very powerful at controlling the wills of others), Shapeshifter (name says it all, probably the spider-transforming spec seen in trailers), and Spirit Healer (healer and buffer spec).

Rogues can become Assassins (good at exploiting weaknesses in enemies), Bard (buffer/debuffer), Duelist (speedy warriors), and Ranger (animal-friend, probably lots of animal pets).

Depending on your race and class selection, you are given the option of 6 total backgrounds to start off the game.

If Human and a Warrior or Rogue, you start as a Human Noble. "belong to the noble house Cousland, one of the most powerful families in Ferelden. But even a life of privilege can crumble in the face of betrayal."

If Human or Elf and a Mage, you start as a Magi. "It is time to undertake the Harrowing, the long-secret ritual by which an apprentice spellcaster either becomes a full mage... or disappears forever."

If Elf and a Warrior or Rogue, you start as a City Elf. "become a member of the Tabris family, hardscrabble city elves confined to the poorest quarter of the city of Denerim, where an arranged marriage offers hope of distraction--if only for a day--from a life of discrimination and abuse. But when a local lord claims his 'right' with the bride, racial tensions provide fuel for a massacre."

If Elf and a Warrior or Rogue, you can instead pick to start as a Dalish Elf. "a proud but trying life among the Mahariel clan of the Dalish elves, preferring to wander the ancient forests in perpetual isolation over letting humankind corrupt the last of true elven culture. But a chance encounter with a relic of your people's past threatens to change those plans."

If Dwarf and Warrior or Rogue, you can be a Dwarf Commoner. "begin among the Brosca family of the 'casteless,' the lowest rung of dwarven society, where subservience to a local crime lord has always seemed like the surest way to remain alive, at least for one more day."

If Dwarf and Warrior or Rogue, you can instead pick Dwarf Noble. "a life born to the royal family of Orzammar, House Aeducan, where the natural accompaniment to political power is cutthroat infighting between relatives."

Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Pouncer of the 12th degree!
"Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"
Dr. Gee
posted 11-03-2009 08:00:45 PM
Reviews are pretty stratospheric all across the interwebs.

And I won't be able to play until Thursday fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu. I really can't wait to sink into this.

Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 11-04-2009 10:11:42 AM
I started playing yesterday and was very pleasantly surprised. I was playing a drawf noble and the story was actually quite interesting. Its not all hack and slash, and the tracking during combat is nicely done. Same with the voice acting and dialogue choices. I do recognize some of the voices from Oblivion, which was somehow depressing.
"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Timpofee
Mancake
posted 11-04-2009 11:44:35 AM
This is the one game I have had in a while that I would actually take a day off of work to play
Willias
Pancake
posted 11-04-2009 02:17:16 PM
quote:
Greenlit thought about the meaning of life:
I must need to hand in my nerd card or something, but this game is terribly fucking boring.

I'm finding the game to be interesting and quite brutal at times.

I like the UI and the pacing better than Baldur's Gate, but the story hasn't grabbed me like BG2 did. Probably because the story seems to scream OH HEY GUYS WE REALLY LIKED THE LORD OF THE RINGS MOVIES.

I'm playing on Hard difficulty (fuck normal mode!) and some of the fights require a good bit of thought before running in unless you like getting wiped out or losing half your group.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 11-04-2009 03:00:15 PM
Captain Janeway (voice) is in it.

That makes it awesome.

/thread

Dr. Gee
posted 11-04-2009 03:03:04 PM
Human Noble Background: Oh hey, a dog neat! Here bo-OH SWEET MOTHER OF CHRIST WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?
Tarquinn
posted 11-04-2009 03:14:07 PM
quote:
Mortious had this to say about the Spice Girls:
Captain Janeway (voice) is in it.

That makes it awesome.

/thread

But her voice is horrible. :psyduck:

Tarquinn fucked around with this message on 11-04-2009 at 03:15 PM.

Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 11-04-2009 03:15:45 PM
quote:
Dr. Gee had this to say about Punky Brewster:
Human Noble Background: Oh hey, a dog neat! Here bo-OH SWEET MOTHER OF CHRIST WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?

My first thoughts: Its a Boxer breed on a lot (and I mean alot) of steroids.

Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Pouncer of the 12th degree!
"Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"
Tarquinn
posted 11-04-2009 03:24:33 PM
Amazon just informed my that my collector's edition will be delayed because of "production problems".

What will I do this weekend... where I don't have time to play video games anyway?

Well, got a 5 Euro Amazon gift coupon for my troubles, so all is good.

Zair
The Imp
posted 11-04-2009 07:30:48 PM
The only version I can buy would be the ps3 version. From what I read, the console versions are pretty inferior, so I guess I'm passing...

Zair fucked around with this message on 11-04-2009 at 07:32 PM.

Azakias
posted 11-04-2009 08:13:02 PM
I have it for the 360, and no complaints so far. Perhaps the graphics might be a bit better, but its not like they are bad o the console in any case.
"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Nina
posted 11-06-2009 11:56:10 AM
I haven't played the either console version, but with the whole tactical pausing + zooming aspect I seriously doubt it handles well on console. Anyway, I wanted a Baldur's Gate successor so I'm always playing overhead.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 11-06-2009 01:36:50 PM
Enjoying it so far.
Willias
Pancake
posted 11-06-2009 01:53:52 PM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Willias:

I'm playing on Hard difficulty (fuck normal mode!)

no this is wrong

i got tired of being raped by bandits and wolves :(

Dr. Gee
posted 11-06-2009 03:34:47 PM
quote:
Nina's account was hax0red to write:
I haven't played the either console version, but with the whole tactical pausing + zooming aspect I seriously doubt it handles well on console. Anyway, I wanted a Baldur's Gate successor so I'm always playing overhead.

I've found that running around in "console" mode and doing combat in overhead view has been the best. The game really doesn't let you scroll the map around anywhere NEAR far enough to work well in overhead view all the time. Plus the graphics are just amazing in some places and being able to look out at them is great.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 11-07-2009 06:49:56 AM
Could this game be any more obvious about who the traitors are?

The first one was a beak-nosed, snide weirdo with a shady story he corrects himself on...and if that wasn't enough, he's voiced by TIM FUCKING CURRY. WHEN HAS TIM CURRY NEVER BEEN A VILLAIN?

Also, Treyn Loghain? Huh. Who's going to be the traitor here? The golden-haired king? Probably not. The sagely father figure? Nooo...how about the dude with sunken eyes, cold metal armor and hair black as sin?

GEE.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 11-07-2009 06:57:34 AM
I'm not up to finding the traitor out but yeah I pretty much nodded and said "He'll be a bad guy later" as soon as he walked out the tent.

Also, the Mage intro is way more fun than the boring-ass Human Noble one. Not tried the Dwarves or the Elves yet.

Tarquinn
posted 11-07-2009 07:06:25 AM
Okay, the gore in this game is way over the top.

Just kiled some rats (that combat tutorial), and me and my party looked like they bathed in blood.

Those rats surely would've died without my help, just seconds later, because of their high blood pressure.

Azakias
posted 11-07-2009 09:40:55 AM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan was listening to Cher while typing:
Could this game be any more obvious about who the traitors are?

The first one was a beak-nosed, snide weirdo with a shady story he corrects himself on...and if that wasn't enough, he's voiced by TIM FUCKING CURRY. WHEN HAS TIM CURRY NEVER BEEN A VILLAIN?

Also, Treyn Loghain? Huh. Who's going to be the traitor here? The golden-haired king? Probably not. The sagely father figure? Nooo...how about the dude with sunken eyes, cold metal armor and hair black as sin?

GEE.

Tim Curry played Gabriel Knight, the main good guy protagonist in the first and third Gabriel Knight games.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 11-07-2009 04:49:58 PM
Pretty sure that Simon Templeman (the voice of Kain from all the Blood Omen games) is in there too. Damn fine voice actor.
Dr. Gee
posted 11-08-2009 05:44:30 PM
So far what's your favorite crew to run with?

Right now I'm running with Main Character as a Sword and Shield tank, Shale, Leliana, and Wynne since she elbowed in for the Mage Tower line. I've been using Morrigan though.

I'm really wishing I had done something other than a tank for the main character though. Alistair is actually pretty sweet and while I actually like Leliana, lisp aside, bows seem pretty worthless compared to getting up and backstabbing the fuck out of people. Not to mention that Shale is just a fucking bruiser.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: