EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Poll: Are you playing Dragon Age: Origins?
Author
Topic: Dragon Age: Origins
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 11-08-2009 06:27:22 PM
I'm a shapeshifting ganking mage bastard. I run with the old hag who I only like because she's a healing MACHINE, the wise-cracking templar who makes me laugh, and the French strumpet because she picks locks and I'd like to bang her.

A good team I think.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 11-08-2009 06:46:55 PM
I finished most of Redcliffe and all of the Mage Tower only using 2 additional party members

WOOPS

I'm pretty much retarded

Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 11-08-2009 09:36:03 PM
I'm playing a main tank, Champion/Templar, dual weilding, and Alistair as a Templar/Berserker, Zavren as an assassin/duelist and Morrigan for my shifter/spirit healer.

I managed to kill off Wynne through the storyline, though, so my only healer alternative was Morrigan.

Oh, and my dog took down a dragon nearly single handed.

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 11-08-2009 10:27:21 PM
quote:
Mortious had this to say about Matthew Broderick:
Pretty sure that Simon Templeman (the voice of Kain from all the Blood Omen games) is in there too. Damn fine voice actor.

He voices Lohgan, that shifty bastard.

Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Pouncer of the 12th degree!
"Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"
Mr. Parcelan
posted 11-09-2009 02:01:51 AM
STEN WHY DO YOU KEEP DYING
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 11-09-2009 02:58:38 AM
Sten is horrible. I want to kick him in the nuts. All he does is whine in that annoying "one word answers" way of his.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 11-09-2009 05:26:58 AM
I like his personality fine. I'm just baffled at why everyone kicks the shit out of him.
Azakias
posted 11-09-2009 08:22:18 AM
His attacks are slow and for some reason (probably because he's HUGE) his pathing sucks.

I made the mistake of controlling him for part of the end battle.

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 11-09-2009 01:18:41 PM
I can't speak to Sten without him disapproving in some way, no matter what I say. Fuck that. I took his clothes away and made him the local campfire slave.
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 11-09-2009 01:39:34 PM
The DLC modules don't work for me.

Eat a kitten, Mort.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Azakias
posted 11-09-2009 02:09:30 PM
quote:
Mortious had this to say about Matthew Broderick:
I can't speak to Sten without him disapproving in some way, no matter what I say. Fuck that. I took his clothes away and made him the local campfire slave.

I've found that telling him off raises his respect for you.

I mean, I tell him to just take orders and his inclination to me rose. It was kinda weird.

Ive noticed that Sten likes authority, Sevren likes flirty/sarcasm, Alistair likes understanding, Leliana likes girly/wishy washy stuff, and Oghren likes it when you humor his drunkenness. As for Morrigan, I didnt really bother. I dislike her character.

Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 11-09-2009 03:39:05 PM
quote:
Azakias's account was hax0red to write:
I've found that telling him off raises his respect for you.

I mean, I tell him to just take orders and his inclination to me rose. It was kinda weird.

Ive noticed that Sten likes authority, Sevren likes flirty/sarcasm, Alistair likes understanding, Leliana likes girly/wishy washy stuff, and Oghren likes it when you humor his drunkenness. As for Morrigan, I didnt really bother. I dislike her character.

But Morrigan is like the best character ever!

"So now we're threatening priests? Wonderful!"

Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Pouncer of the 12th degree!
"Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"
Azakias
posted 11-09-2009 04:34:35 PM
Well, she does tend to lend herself to awesomely funny dialogue. I played my first go-round as almost saintly paladin-type (it made me throw up a little in my mouth) and now I'm going the rogue route and we're getting along a little better now.

Although... I just have to say that Oghren's conversation with Alistair about sex was hilarious, since I was playing a female dwarf that was sleeping with Alistair.

Tarquinn
posted 11-10-2009 04:12:02 PM
quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Katrinity was all like:
But Morrigan is like the best character ever!

"So now we're threatening priests? Wonderful!"

She had me after arguing against intelligent design with Imoen 2.0 (forgot her name). Really like her now.

quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Tarquinn was all like:
The DLC modules don't work for me.

Eat a kitten, Mort.

I take that back.

Everything works just fine.

Trent
Smurfberry Moneyshot
posted 11-11-2009 05:16:45 PM
so, the romance options, do you have to be straight? i like to my options open.
Azakias
posted 11-11-2009 08:26:14 PM
There's two NPC's that are straight and the other two go either way.

So far, I've managed to get three of them. Need to play through as a male to get the last one.

nem-x
posted 11-13-2009 10:39:26 PM
How different are the stories depending on which class you are?
I rolled a mage and I did Redcliffe, so I know who the guy locked in the cell was. Is it a different person if you are a different class?
Akiraiu Zenko
Is actually a giddy schoolgirl
posted 11-13-2009 11:28:53 PM
quote:
nem-x spewed forth this undeniable truth:
I rolled a mage and I did Redcliffe, so I know who the guy locked in the cell was. Is it a different person if you are a different class?

Nope, still him, you just don't know him.

The artist formerly known as Zephyer Kyuukaze.
Callalron
Hires people with hooks
posted 11-14-2009 12:16:14 AM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Tarquinn said this:
She had me after arguing against intelligent design with Imoen 2.0

See, now you got me to dig out my old Baldur's Gate CDs when you mentioned her name.

I found all my BG2 stuff, but I can't find my BG1 disks. Anyone know where I could d/l a replacement copy?

Callalron
"When mankind finally discovers the center of the universe, a lot of people are going to be upset that it isn't them."
"If you give a man a fish he'll eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish he'll just go out and buy an ugly hat. But if you talk to a starving man about fish, then you've become a consultant."--Dogbert
Arvek, 41 Bounty Hunter
Vrook Lamar server
Trent
Smurfberry Moneyshot
posted 11-14-2009 03:44:24 AM
i think, i love this game, it reminds me very much of Baldurs Gate. just without the annoying Imoen.

the character interactions are wonderful and remind me of NWN, before the broke it by making expansions with no story/weak plot and no character interactions. :|

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 11-14-2009 06:13:15 AM
I feel I must post a side-quest spoiler because if you wait too long you can't do it.

Click on the throne in the Dwarf city, it tells you something about something "caged in stone". Get a character to stand on the plate (it makes a grinding noise) outside the throne room, then get two other characters to stand on smaller plates inside the throne room on the left side (they look a bit like arrows). Then click the throne and a young dragon appears. Kill it (was a fairly easy kill for me at level 13, just paralyse/petrify/etc) and you get a legendary two-handed sword. Useless for me since no one in my team uses a two-handed weapon, but its stats are pretty amazing. I use Mr Templar as my tank with a sword and shield.

EDIT: You can no longer do this side-quest after a new king is elected.

Mortious fucked around with this message on 11-14-2009 at 06:13 AM.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 11-16-2009 04:46:39 AM
Holy crapola, Arcane Warrior is batshit insane. Pretty much lets you use your magic score to fulfill the strength limits on high end armour and weapons, so turns you into a full-on combat mage.

Some spells like petrify don't need you to sheath your weapon to cast, either. So I'm rocking the socks off Darkspawn in single combat.. with a god damn mage! Couple it with mastered Spirit Healer and you're running around kicking people in the face and healing your group.

It's damn near unstoppable when paired with Blood Dragon armour and Ageless (the legendary anti-Darkspawn 2H sword). Ageless also has two rune slots.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 11-16-2009 04:54:48 AM
If you want to respec your character, download the official Dragon Age Toolset from the Bioware website. You can give yourself 100 stats in everything.. but don't.. would spoil the game. I only used it to respec from Shapeshifter to Spirit Healer. Because Shapeshifter is absolute crap compared to the others.
Trent
Smurfberry Moneyshot
posted 11-16-2009 10:29:37 AM
who do you talk to, to become an Arcane Mage?!

i've found blood and shapeshifter and i imagine Wynne will offer up spirit when i get to know her a bit better, but i would like arcane. :|

Tarquinn
posted 11-16-2009 10:31:40 AM
quote:
Trent had this to say about Knight Rider:
who do you talk to, to become an Arcane Mage?!

i've found blood and shapeshifter and i imagine Wynne will offer up spirit when i get to know her a bit better, but i would like arcane. :

Get the Daelish Elves as allies. During their quest you will get the chance to become an Arcane Warrior.

Tarquinn fucked around with this message on 11-16-2009 at 10:57 AM.

Sentow, I Guess
Pancake
posted 11-16-2009 12:10:47 PM
Someone on the dev team loves superheroes, I think. My character incessantly announces that his "Warden senses are tingling!" On top of that, I had a batshit crazy random encounter where a farmer couple found a baby in the crater of a newly-fallen meteorite.

If you're curious, the purpose of the encounter is to take the starmetal from the meteorite, then give it to the blacksmith at Soldier's Peak so he can forge a godly sword with it.

KIERKEGAARD

Sigpic shamelessly stolen from Kate Beaton.

Trent
Smurfberry Moneyshot
posted 11-16-2009 12:27:07 PM
quote:
Tarquinn's fortune cookie read:
Get the Daelish Elves as allies. During their quest you will get the chance to become an Arcane Warrior.

thanks. i'm on that part now. i'll keep an eye out for the opportunity.

Tarquinn
posted 11-16-2009 12:33:18 PM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Trent:
thanks. i'm on that part now. i'll keep an eye out for the opportunity.

Just make sure you don't miss a room in the ruins.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 11-16-2009 03:52:51 PM
Also; the TAB key is your best friend in this game.
Tarquinn
posted 11-16-2009 04:06:27 PM
quote:
Mortious's account was hax0red to write:
Also; the TAB key is your best friend in this game.

Absolutely. I'd say it would be almost unplayable without. =/

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 11-16-2009 04:10:02 PM
Arcane Warrior with Arcane Mastery (improves all spells) from the Mage line is a beast. The downside is.. the game is almost too easy now.

Just pile on Combat Magic, Stone Skin, Arcane Shield, Flame/Ice Weapons with a decent 2H sword and good armour and you rip shit up and take barely any damage. I was tanking an Ogre Alpha earlier (red con mob) and laughing in his face.

Don't get me wrong though, some scenarios are still challenging. I had my ass handed to me several times at the Anvil of the Void because I didn't micromanage all the other retards in my team and they'd keep running up and leaping at the enemies like lemmings.

Mortious fucked around with this message on 11-16-2009 at 04:11 PM.

Greenlit
posted 11-16-2009 04:16:35 PM
Do what I did; make your team entirely ranged and tell them to sit on their thumbs while you kill shit yourself.

My DW Warrior is a fucking beast with Momentum, Dual Strike and Berserker abilities.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 11-16-2009 04:18:19 PM
Oh and don't forget that ring from Orzammar, which is the best ring in the game.

Lifegiver.

87. Fucking. Gold.

Akiraiu Zenko
Is actually a giddy schoolgirl
posted 11-17-2009 01:59:38 AM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Mortious said this:
Pretty sure that Simon Templeman (the voice of Kain from all the Blood Omen games) is in there too. Damn fine voice actor.

He's Teyrn Loghain, by the by.

The artist formerly known as Zephyer Kyuukaze.
Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 11-17-2009 09:35:16 AM
quote:
This is what nem-x is doing. This is what I want nem-x to do:

Let's see.

If you play a Human Noble, you'll get a chance to get revenge towards the end of the game. Trying to avoid spoilers here.

If you play a Human Mage, you'll known Jowan who is in the dungeons at Redcliffe.

If you play a Dwarf Noble, you'll know Gorim, who is now a merchant in Denerim.

If you play a Dwarf Commoner, you'll know Leske in Jarvia's Jails and Rica, your sister.

If you play a Dalish Elf, you'll uhm.. dunno, probably be cool with the guys in Brecilian forest... I haven't seen the Tamlen guy yet from the Origin, but I'd imagine he's around somewhere.

If you play a City Elf, you'll know Vaughan and Soris in the Arl of Denerim's jails.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Trent
Smurfberry Moneyshot
posted 11-17-2009 10:30:59 AM
three times through the ruins, i finally found it. and got a greatsword from the found star metal. i kind of rock now.
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 11-17-2009 01:33:56 PM
Wow. Respeccing your characters is a must.

I'm breezing through battles now that I've respecced my four main characters to have a much more focused skillset.

I know you can do it in console, but this mod is pretty nice. I highly recommend it. http://social.bioware.com/project/469/

Sentow, I Guess
Pancake
posted 11-17-2009 07:40:23 PM
Very minor last boss spoiler.

What exactly happens if you don't kill the Archdemon's generals before you confront it?

I've been getting slaughtered by a horde of Darkspawn that appear when I get the Archdemon to 50%. I thought this was something it always did, but I noticed in my quest log that it doesn't seem to think I killed the general in the Market District. Even though I distinctly remember killing a "Darkspawn General" in that area =|

Anyway, I'm hoping that maybe if I backtrack to Market Square and kill the general (again), the 50% event won't happen and I can actually kill the god damn Archdemon so I can see the ending to this game in which I've invested 50-some hours instead of having to replay the SAME GOD DAMN BOSS BATTLE OVER AND OVER AGAIN AGNARGNPiKL :gkl;FKP

Also: Kind of pissing me off that melee is so useless in this fight. It was really, really dumb of me to bring Alistair, although he's pulling his weight with a two-hander. Hmmm... maybe if I give Zevran a bow...

EDIT: Emoticons? In MY gibberish? It's more likely than you think.

Sentow, I Guess fucked around with this message on 11-17-2009 at 07:41 PM.

KIERKEGAARD

Sentow, I Guess
Pancake
posted 11-17-2009 08:41:13 PM
quote:
RARGH BOSS AM TOO HARD

So I just noticed I can summon troops while fighting the damned Archdemon.

/facepalm

brb

KIERKEGAARD

nem-x
posted 11-18-2009 06:09:38 PM
Beat the game as a good guy, but don't know what to start a second game with. I ran with 3 mages and a templar, and it seems that anything else would suck in comparison.

My endings also got bugged out in that people died/would be ruler in cutscenes even though it wasn't the choice I made. But then everything is fine after the cutscenes.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: