EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Age of Conan
Xian
Pancake
posted 05-01-2008 10:34:53 AM
Who else is downloading?

File Planet Age of Conan

Subscribing members get free access into beta, which started today.

Xian fucked around with this message on 05-01-2008 at 10:45 AM.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 05-01-2008 11:31:24 AM
I'm not!
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Vorago
A completely different kind of Buckethead
posted 05-01-2008 03:32:40 PM
Steven Steve
posted 05-01-2008 03:43:01 PM
I PLAYED IT WHEN IT WAS DAOC HUHU
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 05-01-2008 04:21:33 PM
Someone tell me how this game is.
Xian
Pancake
posted 05-02-2008 12:16:39 AM
Installing - This may take a long time.

No kidding.

Maradon!
posted 05-02-2008 12:39:41 AM
Don't plan on getting on tonight, servers are down at present.
Led
*kaboom*
posted 05-04-2008 08:27:29 PM
Well? How is it? Curious minds want to know
Maradon!
posted 05-04-2008 08:31:06 PM
I like it. It feels more CRPG than any mmo I've ever played, in a good way.
Steven Steve
posted 05-04-2008 08:39:11 PM
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."

Callalron
Hires people with hooks
posted 05-05-2008 02:05:46 PM
But honestly, how exciting can a MMORPG about a late-night talk show host be?
Callalron
"When mankind finally discovers the center of the universe, a lot of people are going to be upset that it isn't them."
"If you give a man a fish he'll eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish he'll just go out and buy an ugly hat. But if you talk to a starving man about fish, then you've become a consultant."--Dogbert
Arvek, 41 Bounty Hunter
Vrook Lamar server
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 05-05-2008 03:11:25 PM
Probably more exciting than the actual game will be

Kegwen fucked around with this message on 05-05-2008 at 03:11 PM.

Ozimander
$$$$$$$$$$$
posted 05-05-2008 07:04:11 PM
You shut that mouth Kegwen
Steven Steve
posted 05-05-2008 07:58:45 PM
Afraid of the truth!?!? Even the Conan franchise deserves a better game than this filth.

Steven Steve fucked around with this message on 05-05-2008 at 07:59 PM.

Blackened
posted 05-06-2008 01:10:31 AM
I heard a rumor that you couldn't even adjust the mouse sensitivity.

Any truth to that?

Although my distaste for you as a human being is brobdingnagian,
what I'm about to do isn't personal.
Ozimander
$$$$$$$$$$$
posted 05-07-2008 12:51:00 AM
quote:
Steven Steve was naked while typing this:
Afraid of the truth!?!? Even the Conan franchise deserves a better game than this filth.

You are right. It is the truth I fear.

Cavalier-
Pancake
posted 05-07-2008 12:50:59 PM
From the little I've seen/played, its going to fail faster than a retarded kiddie in a university..

Such a pity, because the concept was great... but the execution is SEVERELY lacking..

Willias
Pancake
posted 05-07-2008 04:33:44 PM
I'm in open beta playing as a Bear Shaman, which at the low level we're capped at, seems to be pretty good at nothing but getting his ass kicked.

Game seems like it should be fun, though it's a bit overwhelming, playing MMO after MMO where most of the combat is handled for you (at least to a certain extent) and then jumping into this one, where all of the combat is controlled by you.

I like it so far, if only because it's something different.

Maradon!
posted 05-07-2008 04:52:06 PM
I'd like to hear what people think is so wrong with the "execution" without resorting to whining about the buggy beta client.

I been playing for several phases of beta now and I have fun with every character I make.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 05-07-2008 07:11:34 PM
Nina
posted 05-09-2008 12:26:13 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about John Romero:
I'd like to hear what people think is so wrong with the "execution" without resorting to whining about the buggy beta client.

Most likely the fact that it's due for release in less than a month.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 05-09-2008 02:10:44 PM
After the Anarchy Online release, people don't have much faith in FunCom. Anarchy Online's crappiness in beta was attributed to a very old beta client too...and the release didn't fix much at all.

This is Funcom's second MMO. People are afraid that they haven't learned their lesson.

Steven Steve
posted 05-09-2008 03:02:59 PM
You mean there was a version of Anarchy Online that wasn't a beta? humhumhumuhuhmuhm

Maradon!
posted 05-09-2008 08:38:45 PM
quote:
Peanut butter ass Shaq Nina booooze lime pole over bench lick:
Most likely the fact that it's due for release in less than a month.

The a great many of the bug fixes that were discovered by the beta won't ever be implemented in the beta client because it'd simply be impractical to pipe out that much data. Patches are ~1gb as it is.

There was a sticky on this in the forums for a while.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 05-09-2008 10:29:12 PM
quote:
Maradon!'s unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:
The a great many of the bug fixes that were discovered by the beta won't ever be implemented in the beta client because it'd simply be impractical to pipe out that much data. Patches are ~1gb as it is.

There was a sticky on this in the forums for a while.

Are you seriously ok with something like that?

"Oh yeah, we fixed it. We aren't going to let you test the fix to see that it is fixed, but hey! We fixed it!"

Betas are supposed to have big patches. How are they going to handle patching on release if they're all going to be this huge? I'm sorry, I'm quite concerned with a company that refuses to release new code to testers, since that new code can and will cause bugs in other areas that aren't going to be discovered until release.

Maradon!
posted 05-09-2008 11:14:07 PM
quote:
Peanut butter ass Shaq Falaanla Marr booooze lime pole over bench lick:
Are you seriously ok with something like that?

"Oh yeah, we fixed it. We aren't going to let you test the fix to see that it is fixed, but hey! We fixed it!"

Betas are supposed to have big patches. How are they going to handle patching on release if they're all going to be this huge? I'm sorry, I'm quite concerned with a company that refuses to release new code to testers, since that new code can and will cause bugs in other areas that aren't going to be discovered until release.

They're going to test the bug fixes the same way every MMO tests bug fixes - in-house at first, then on live servers.

They ARE patching beta, there are just a few bugs that cause a lot of other bugs and patching them would require huge changes to the install, so they're distributing them on the retail DVD's.

They're also extremely paranoid about letting out too much of the game's content in the betas, so they're leaving some of the simple rough edges in the client unpatched so it'll seem more fresh once it's released. Kinda like how Planetside held back the player models until release.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 05-09-2008 11:22:44 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Punky Brewster:
They're going to test the bug fixes the same way every MMO tests bug fixes - in-house at first, then on live servers.

They ARE patching beta, there are just a few bugs that cause a lot of other bugs and patching them would require huge changes to the install, so they're distributing them on the retail DVD's.

They're also extremely paranoid about letting out too much of the game's content in the betas, so they're leaving some of the simple rough edges in the client unpatched so it'll seem more fresh once it's released. Kinda like how Planetside held back the player models until release.

I have never seen you be so blindly loyal. Wouldnt expect you, of all people, to be so confident that these bugs are really fixed. Or that the bugs haven't introduced new ones.

I'll probably end up buying it myself anyways, mind you.

Falaanla Marr fucked around with this message on 05-09-2008 at 11:27 PM.

Maradon!
posted 05-09-2008 11:29:03 PM
quote:
x--Falaanla MarrO-('-'Q) :
I have never seen you be so blindly loyal. Wouldnt expect you, of all people, to be so confident that these bugs are really fixed.

I'm not being "blindly loyal". In fact I'm pretty badly regretting my pre-order, I'm probably not going to play the game much before WAR is released.

I'm not saying the bugs will be fixed, either. I'm just pointing out that they're only doing what every MMO developer does with bug fixes - test them in-house first, then on live servers.

If they're saying that these fixes are too big or too certain to bother distributing to the entire beta populace, I really can't come up with a more likely scenario than they're simply telling the truth.

Maradon!
posted 05-09-2008 11:58:31 PM
We settled our disagreement with fisticuffs
Aaron (the good one)
posted 05-10-2008 12:51:09 AM
Get a new avatar
Galbadia Hotel - Video Game Music
I am Canadian and I hate The Tragically Hip
Blackened
posted 05-10-2008 06:56:08 AM
quote:
Maradon!.
I'm probably not going to play the game much before WAR is released.
Is this still coming out?

Although my distaste for you as a human being is brobdingnagian,
what I'm about to do isn't personal.
Maradon!
posted 05-10-2008 12:06:51 PM
quote:
Peanut butter ass Shaq Blackened booooze lime pole over bench lick:
Is this still coming out?

Warhammer Online?

Yes? Sometime in october? I love question marks?

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 05-13-2008 01:35:14 PM
MoO 3
~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Wulfie
Pancake
posted 05-14-2008 12:30:54 AM
I was accepted into the beta, and it isn't bad if you don't mind the lag, crashes, the buggy graphics, the poorly designed controls. Its really a great game!
The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they are okay, then it's you.
-Rita Mae Brown
Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 05-14-2008 08:37:58 AM
There are exactly two MMO games I bought on release. WoW and SWG. Wow being wow, well, I don't regret that at all. SWG I regret quite a bit. Though I'm still waiting for the RPG to come out that has player housing that's as awesome as SWG's was.

I'm waiting to see how this one pans out before I decide to try it. I don't have a lot of faith in Funcom, though. AO killed that off pretty fast.

Khyron fucked around with this message on 05-14-2008 at 08:44 AM.

Blindy.
posted 05-15-2008 09:04:29 AM
Can someone explain to me why player housing is worth any consideration at all? Banks are easier and much better for storage, it seems silly to me to spend resources decorating something when they could go towards making your character better, and it's not exactly like having a visitor in your house is that common of an event (or even possible in some games), from what I gather, so why is this such an often requested feature?
Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 05-15-2008 09:29:30 AM
quote:
Out of a possible 10, Blindy. scored a straight 1 with:
Can someone explain to me why player housing is worth any consideration at all? Banks are easier and much better for storage, it seems silly to me to spend resources decorating something when they could go towards making your character better, and it's not exactly like having a visitor in your house is that common of an event (or even possible in some games), from what I gather, so why is this such an often requested feature?

The same reason The Sims is a multi-billion dollar franchise.

Steven Steve
posted 05-15-2008 09:51:52 AM
Because you can make your characters woohoo with anyone?

Blindy.
posted 05-15-2008 10:03:32 AM
So people who like player housing are female gamers who enjoy virtual dollhouses. Got ya.
Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 05-15-2008 02:49:24 PM
quote:
Blindy. had this to say about Cuba:

See, that's one reason why I enjoyed SWG so much. You could show off your house to anyone interested in stepping inside. You could show off armor and weapons you were proud of or thought looked cool. You could turn a house into a store (Or vice versa) and have people shop out of it. It was a real, physical presence in the world. Or you could lock it and just not deal with it. Stuff like that was great.

I still like housing in, say, FFXI or AO as a little diversion and time-waster, but SWG had an amazing housing system.

Khyron fucked around with this message on 05-15-2008 at 02:58 PM.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: