EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Steve, give me resources to find out about weight lifting!
Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 02-25-2008 09:38:14 AM
There is an unbelievable amount of fluff about this on the Internets, but you're seeming pretty successful so I'm going to guess you've separated the wheat from the chaff. Could you give me a site/sites to get started with?
Greenlit
posted 02-25-2008 12:04:22 PM
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2523678
tFUCKING RETARD
Pancake
posted 02-25-2008 12:41:15 PM
www.Bodybuilding.com
There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive.
Greenlit
posted 02-25-2008 12:48:29 PM
quote:
Vallo had this to say about Robocop:
www.Bodybuilding.com

no

Tier
posted 02-25-2008 01:36:50 PM
quote:
Greenlit had this to say about Knight Rider:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2523678

/thread over

Steven Steve
posted 02-25-2008 02:36:57 PM
There are no good websites I'm afraid, as I haven't authored one yet.
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Mr. Parcelan
posted 02-25-2008 02:37:59 PM
Stalwart Steve, could you pleasure Blindy's wife better than he?
Steven Steve
posted 02-25-2008 02:39:11 PM
And the link to Something Awful sucks of course as it just links to gay old t-nation, which is a site dedicated to talking about irrelevant facts such as PCF ratios, Biotest products, etc. that no one except fatsoes care about.
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."

Steven Steve
posted 02-25-2008 02:40:10 PM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan had this to say about Reading Rainbow:
Stalwart Steve, could you pleasure Blindy's wife better than he?

Only if her g-spot lies one inch to the right of her center

Steven Steve
posted 02-25-2008 02:43:06 PM
Because to become women, girls must give up the pleasures of the clitoris

Blindy.
posted 02-25-2008 02:45:51 PM
I don't know what women you've been sleeping with but I assure you that's not generally true.
Steven Steve
posted 02-25-2008 02:46:43 PM
urgh... uauahhhh... *rolls around in empty pill bottles*

Just ask whatever questions about weightlifting, I know everything.

Steven Steve
posted 02-25-2008 02:50:39 PM
Just start lifting weights easy and lift more and more over a period of 4-5 years until you're the strongest human, made of pure muss.

Blindy.
posted 02-25-2008 02:56:25 PM
Well I'm interested in developing my chest, shoulders, arms and back. I was hoping you could point me to some effective free weight techniques for a beginner to those ends. Also advise on how many sets at what intensity per would be great.
tFUCKING RETARD
Pancake
posted 02-25-2008 03:21:18 PM
quote:
This one time, at Vallo camp:
www.Bodybuilding.com
Steven Steve
posted 02-25-2008 03:27:49 PM
Intensity should always be something managable and sustainable like 60-70% of your maximum effort. By development I guess you mean just general improvement, so your routine could consist of both ordinary strength work and a bodybuilding routine. With those parts listed I would recommend the following routine.

The strength portion of your workout may sound strenuous, but actually it should be pretty easy compared to what most people consider exercise. This portion consists of lifts of arbitrary sets and reps (as they aren't that important) that will help improve your coordination and confidence with weights. These exercises are barely injurious when performed properly and so can be done every day, or even at your leisure. Here's an example of what you could do every day to improve your strength and acquaint your chest, back, arms, and shoulders with weight training:

Bench press
Shoulder press
Front dumbbell raises
Side laterals
Reverse flyes
Pec flyes
One arm rows
Lat pulldowns or pull ups
Overhead tricep extension or French press
Concentration curl or barbell curl

These exercises, except for lat pulldowns, all utilize free weights which are thought to better simulate actual weight lifting than machines, thereby improving your coordination and strength. Though the changes are also slightly physiological, a large portion of human strength comes psychologically, and performing these lifts while good and relaxed (not to exhaust, but to practice) will do much to help your muscle development. As I said previously, the magnitude of the weight you lift should make up about a 60% effort, with around a 1-2% increase every week or so. Exact numbers are not important so long as you maintain both progress and optimism. I recommend doing no more than about 5 reps per set (you choose how many sets given your schedule, but more sets will almost certainly improve your gains) for these lifts, although it's not really important so long as you feel good about doing them and don't tire yourself out, as the next portion is a bit more taxing.

After that, there should be a bodybuilding routine. You've probably heard some about muscle tears and almost certainly know someone with a bad back. In addition to stimulating muscle growth or metabolism, bodybuilding can also help prevent these types of maladies by mechanically fortifying the muscles. This is probably what you mostly mean by development, as it will be the part that will be responsible for improving your appearance and largely for improving your overall health. To start out, I would recommend that you perform the following routine with weights that represent 30% of your maximum strength, as there will be little rest and the numbers can add up quickly. The bodybuilding portion will alternate days, unlike the strength portion, as the routine is slightly more injurious to the muscles, however intentionally so. Muscle building is a callus-like response to damage, and the body must be given time to repair itself. Therefore the first day of your routine will consist of chest and back exercises, and the next will have arm and shoulder exercises, and then it's back to day one again. Here are the lifts I suggest:

Day one (Chest/Back)
Circuit one
Bench press 5x10
Bent over row 5x10
Circuit two
Pec flyes 5x10
One arm rows 5x10
Circuit three
Incline flyes 5x10
Lat pulldown 5x10
Circuit four
Cable flyes 5x10
Straightarm pulldowns 5x10

Day two (Arms/shoulders)
Circuit one
Dumbbell shoulder press 5x10
Dumbbell shrugs 5x10
Circuit two
Front dumbbell raises 3x10
Side laterals 3x10
Reverse flyes 3x10
Circuit three
Overhead tricep extension or French press 5x10
Concentration curl 5x10
Circuit four
Cable tricep pulldown 5x10
Hammer curls 5x10
Circuit five
Cable tricep pulldown 5x10
Preacher or barbell curls 5x10

The circuits represent individual "stations" and are just temporal divisions between exercises. Each circuit is to be cycled through until all the sets in the circuit have been completed, and then you move to the next - e.g. bench press, then bent over row, then repeat four times, then onto pec flyes and one arm rows. This part of the routine will take about 20 minutes if you are fast, and up to 40-50 minutes if you are taking your time. However, I must emphasize that for this portion of the workout, it's best to not rest much, as you'll see better gains and improvements in your metabolism that way. This is the reason I suggest a lighter weight, as this can also become a light cardiovascular workout at the same time. Combine these two portions and you have a workout of about 40-50 minutes per day.

Those are just the basics, though. If you'd like me to continue, I could tell you some about nutrition, how to perform the lifts, and some extra tips.

Stalwart Steve fucked around with this message on 02-25-2008 at 03:31 PM.

Steven Steve
posted 02-25-2008 03:29:33 PM
And no Vallo, bodybuilding.com is barely edited. I've found maybe one or two truly useful articles there in a sea of half-truths and typos. It's better for ordering supplements or following bodybuilding news than reading up on basics.

Steven Steve
posted 02-25-2008 03:36:16 PM
Also the weights in the bodybuilding portion can be increased as much as 3-4% per week, just don't overdo it.

Blindy.
posted 02-25-2008 03:42:31 PM
Thanks, that's exactly the kind of info that I was looking for.
tFUCKING RETARD
Pancake
posted 02-25-2008 03:42:52 PM
quote:
Stalwart Steve's account was hax0red to write:
And no Vallo, bodybuilding.com is barely edited. I've found maybe one or two truly useful articles there in a sea of half-truths and typos. It's better for ordering supplements or following bodybuilding news than reading up on basics.

It's certainly not the be-all end-all of working out, but I've always found it a good place to look for stuff, and it has alot of miscellaneous basic info that people pay no attention to. There's also alot of stuff like nutrient info, what foods contain said nutrients, and a calculator to help you figure out target intakes if you don't know how to figure it out on your own.

I admit I haven't used it much since I actually became knowledgable but it was pretty useful to me when I first started getting in to it.

And of course there is the shop and a ton of links.

Dr. Gee
Say it Loud, Say it Plowed!
posted 02-25-2008 03:46:36 PM
Totally clueless question, but what exactly is a set? Do you do one set of 5 Dumbbell shoulder presses then 5 Dumbbell shrugs rinse repeat another 9 times? Also, how do you determine max strength? The heaviest thing that you can lift period?

I've been seriously thinking about adding something like this to my current martial arts stuff to hurry along the process of not being a lardass, but am pretty much clueless on it.

Steven Steve
posted 02-25-2008 03:48:49 PM
Nah it's the other way around, I wrote it as set x reps. But yes, you got the concept right. And yes, by "max strength" I'm just referring to an approximate number of what you can lift (or think you can lift well) for 1 to 3 reps.

Stalwart Steve fucked around with this message on 02-25-2008 at 03:49 PM.

Steven Steve
posted 02-25-2008 03:54:58 PM
As for you Geeorn, don't you do Brazilian Jiu Jitsu? Being big in that is sometimes helpful, but you may want to consider the strategic options of different size distributions also. For example if you have smaller legs you may have an easier time operating triangles, but if you have bigger legs then your center of gravity is lower and it will be harder to break your posture, etc. Generally it's probably best to have an intermediate size and weight though.

Dr. Gee
posted 02-25-2008 05:14:33 PM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Stalwart Steve said:
As for you Geeorn, don't you do Brazilian Jiu Jitsu? Being big in that is sometimes helpful, but you may want to consider the strategic options of different size distributions also. For example if you have smaller legs you may have an easier time operating triangles, but if you have bigger legs then your center of gravity is lower and it will be harder to break your posture, etc. Generally it's probably best to have an intermediate size and weight though.

Soo Bahk Do which is Tae Kwon Do with an emphasis on power generated through the hip/core than speed. So striking (lots of kicking) rather than grappling.

tFUCKING RETARD
Pancake
posted 02-25-2008 05:41:12 PM
The other BJJ guy was...fuck, I forgot his name. Talked alot in RP as a troll, lives in Duluth, Minnesota.
Alaan
posted 02-25-2008 06:16:51 PM
Toktuk
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 02-25-2008 06:24:30 PM
What pisses me off is that I was a fat kid, so now I'm slim my skin is quite "loose".

Makes it fucking hard to define anything without surgery.

Same for anyone who was fat and undergoes rapid weight loss.

Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 02-25-2008 06:36:58 PM
quote:
Mortious stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:
What pisses me off is that I was a fat kid, so now I'm slim my skin is quite "loose".

I have the same problem, so some extent.

I've found that for me, at least, cardio and endurance running as well as a metric shit ton of sit ups and push ups helped to tighten the skin. I dont exactly have muscle definition in my abs anymore, but its lightly visible under the skin. I will never sport a washboard, but I may be able to get it to where I have the impression of a centerline visible.

I dunno. Maybe that could help. But the body toning I have is the product of working out eight times a week in the hopes of being able to pass my physical assessment for the Navy this cycle so I can transfer on time. You gotta have some sort of motivation to do these things, and there's mine.

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 02-25-2008 06:39:47 PM
quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Mortious was all like:

Actually, if you start rolling your skin in waves, over time it will slowly tighten up. I've seen a few people who went through rapid weightloss like you said, who kept at it, and the effects were noticable.

The technique might be best described as pinching up a small portion of loose skin (And skin only, if possible. As little fat/muscle should be grabbed) and rolling it one way or another between your fingers so it's like a wave of skin being pulled away from the lower layers of muscle and fat.

Steven Steve
posted 02-25-2008 06:47:19 PM
Or you could just attempt to gain 50-60 pounds of muss until your skin is taut again

Steven Steve
posted 02-25-2008 06:49:54 PM
quote:
Dr. Gee had this to say about Optimus Prime:
Soo Bahk Do which is Tae Kwon Do with an emphasis on power generated through the hip/core than speed. So striking (lots of kicking) rather than grappling.

In striking, speed is a little bit more important than strength compared to grappling, so losing weight would help make you less inert and weight lifting would improve your proportional strength, making you faster (although you would lose the effect of your 200 pound ham arm slamming into people's faces with hell momentum).

I was always (and still sort of am, at 5'8" 185 pounds) a relatively small guy, and I fare better at speed sports. I'm doing BJJ right now and I can fare somewhat well because of my strength, but it's tough to keep people down. I'm also doing saber fencing and I'm doing a lot better at that because I'm more efficient pound for pound than most anyone in the class.

Stalwart Steve fucked around with this message on 02-25-2008 at 06:52 PM.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 02-25-2008 06:55:30 PM
quote:
Stalwart Steve said:
Or you could just attempt to gain 50-60 pounds of muss until your skin is taut again

That's what I'm aiming for now.

But fuck I was a fat kid, and loose skin around the lovehandle region (even without no fat being there) is hard to hide considering muscles don't thicken there very much.

I have great pecs and a 6-pack (you can see the "bulges" of the muscles beneath the skin), just wish I had tight skin so you could actually see the fuckers. It looks kinda strange to have a to-die-for upper body and yet still look like you have a fat tummy because of slightly loose skin.

It drives me nuts.

Dr. Gee
posted 02-25-2008 07:30:26 PM
quote:
Mortious had this to say about Optimus Prime:

Ya this. Fuck. It kinda sucks that I don't actually have to unbutton my pants to get dressed anymore (been putting off clothes shopping like crazy) but look like plastic bag filled with jam around the midsection. Although there's still plenty of fat in the area too that still needs to get worked on.

Greenlit
posted 02-25-2008 07:45:13 PM
quote:
Delphi Aegis stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:
Actually, if you start rolling your skin in waves, over time it will slowly tighten up. I've seen a few people who went through rapid weightloss like you said, who kept at it, and the effects were noticable.

The technique might be best described as pinching up a small portion of loose skin (And skin only, if possible. As little fat/muscle should be grabbed) and rolling it one way or another between your fingers so it's like a wave of skin being pulled away from the lower layers of muscle and fat.

this is fucking lol

Greenlit
posted 02-25-2008 07:47:52 PM
seriously i'm still loling at that
Skaw
posted 02-25-2008 08:38:18 PM
quote:
Alaan got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
Toktuk

That was Pesco's boyfriend.

Diadem was the EQ Troll IRL syndrome guy

Skaw fucked around with this message on 02-25-2008 at 08:38 PM.

Maradon!
posted 02-25-2008 09:05:50 PM
I'm sedentary as fuck.

I was exercising and dieting for a little while and that was pretty cool but then I started working 7:30-6 m-f and that went RIGHT out the window.

Fortunately I have a pretty swell metabolism and I'm not fat just soft-bodied

Steven Steve
posted 02-25-2008 09:48:56 PM
Yes, I have a workout that takes like 3-4 hours plus martial arts, but I also don't work.

Maradon!
posted 02-25-2008 09:55:56 PM
On the upside I pretty much live off turkey, wheat bread, peanut butter and jelly.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 02-25-2008 10:27:17 PM
quote:
Maradon! said:
On the upside I pretty much live off turkey, wheat bread, peanut butter and jelly.

Turkey is awesome.

I wish it actually tasted of something other than fresh air though.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: