EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: If John McCain wins the nomination, I am voting democrat
Maradon!
posted 01-28-2008 08:03:02 PM
just sayin
Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 01-28-2008 08:03:51 PM
Even if Hillary is on the democratic ticket?
Maradon!
posted 01-28-2008 08:06:48 PM
quote:
Delphi Aegising:
Even if Hillary is on the democratic ticket?

Especially if Hillary is the nominee.

If America actually thinks John McCain is a good idea, then I want America to suffer.

Even if I must suffer along with it. I have weaponized my vote!

Now I just have to figure out how I'm going to afford socialized healthcare, since I actually choose not to buy health insurance right now and that won't be an option under Hillary...

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 01-28-2008 at 08:09 PM.

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 01-28-2008 08:08:45 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Optimus Prime:
Especially if Hillary is the nominee.

If America actually thinks John McCain is a good idea, then I want America to suffer.

Even if I must suffer along with it.

I have weaponized my vote!

If only all americans were so involved in the process and as patriotic as you.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 01-28-2008 08:23:55 PM
I hope Obama gets the nomination. Since I'm not a registered Demmycrat, I may have to register at my polling pace come next Tuesday.

Though I really don't like the idea of being associated with a political party.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Maradon!
posted 01-28-2008 08:36:56 PM
Being associated with a party just means you get to vote in primaries.

It pretty much ends there. I know at least a few registered republicans who are actually democrats that want to sabotage the republican primaries.

Mightion Defensor
posted 01-28-2008 09:43:10 PM
Maybe we need a parody song... maybe a parody of "Ruby Tuesday" called "Super Tuesday", or something...

"Good bye, Super Tuesday, who could blame McCain on you?"....

I'm half-inspired to write it.

Lechium
With no one to ever know
posted 01-28-2008 10:07:34 PM
Wait, in America if you guys want go get private medical insurance, you can't with a socialized system that Hilary wants to implement?
I'm serious, I'm really confused about that line of reasoning.
"The MP checkpoint is not an Imperial Stormtrooper roadblock, so I should not tell them "You don't need to see my identification, these are not the droids you are looking for."
Zair
The Imp
posted 01-28-2008 10:13:05 PM
If Romney wins you should vote Democratic too.

Doesn't Romney have a healthcare plan that fines you if you don't buy healthcare? At the least I know that was his plan as governor.

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 01-28-2008 10:14:14 PM
why the fuck wouldn't you want health insurance

doctor bills are fuckin expensive

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 01-28-2008 10:30:50 PM
quote:
Mr. Gainsborough got served! Mr. Gainsborough got served!

It makes sense if you don't have any assets that they can come after you for. Say that you're renting an apartment, you don't own a car, you don't have a lot of things, and you make enough money to get by. One day, you find out you have cancer. You can rack up huge medical bills as needed, file for bankruptcy protection after your cancer is in remission, and there's really nothing they can do about it, as long as you fully disclose your assets in bankruptcy court. They've already treated your cancer, and your debt has been removed. At worst, you lose your non-exempt items and, if you make more than your state's median income, your wages may be garnished. Repeat every eight years as needed.

In that situation, it makes sense not to have insurance, as it's just a needless expense. You get all the benefits of having insurance, in that you can access treatments needed, but you don't have to pay premiums. And when bankruptcy rolls around, your debt is discharged and you're not much worse off than you were before.

Once you start making good money and have assets that they can come after you for, though, health insurance is an absolute must. And car insurance. And homeowner's insurance. And flood insurance. And gay meteor insurance.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Maradon!
posted 01-28-2008 10:33:47 PM
quote:
x--Mr. GainsboroughO-('-'Q) :

Health insurance is fucking expensive and I never get sick.

Maradon!
posted 01-28-2008 10:43:17 PM
quote:
Peanut butter ass Shaq Lechium booooze lime pole over bench lick:
Wait, in America if you guys want go get private medical insurance, you can't with a socialized system that Hilary wants to implement?
I'm serious, I'm really confused about that line of reasoning.

You can, but you still have to pay for the public insurance on top of it. Kinda like how you can go to a private school if you want, but you still pay for the public school on top of it.

quote:
Peanut butter ass Shaq Zair booooze lime pole over bench lick:
If Romney wins you should vote Democratic too.

Doesn't Romney have a healthcare plan that fines you if you don't buy healthcare? At the least I know that was his plan as governor.

Even if that were so, Romney would be right about almost everything and wrong about one thing. McCain is wrong about literally everything and right about one thing, and not even really all the way right on that one thing.

Also, Romney never endorsed major infringements on freedom of speech (McCain-Feingold), Amnesty for illegal aliens (McCain-Kennedy), or allowing UN taxation and control of means of production by unelected bureaucrats (McCain-Lieberman)

Anyway, I really don't think Romney would ever consider a socialized medicine plan.

First of all, he'd be beholden to a moderate-to-conservative constituency instead of the flaming liberal one that he had to appease in MA. Second, it's in no way duplicitous to believe that something can be right on a state level but wrong on a federal one. MA's budget probably didn't have the immense deficits that the federal budget has, and could draw on the competitiveness of surrounding health industries.

Peter
Pancake
posted 01-28-2008 10:56:11 PM
quote:
Karnaj enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:
.... And car insurance......

You know, Car Insurance in this state has always Rankled me a bit. The State Makes it mandatory, and they pile some hefty penalties if you don't have it (If 1st offense Driving uninsured is as about as bad as maybe a really bad 2nd or 3rd offence DUI). With the amount of money that Cash Cow Makes, Or how much the Fucking MVC makes off us you would figure the stat could get some sore of basic Car insurance for any taxpayer.

quote:

Is this a question of regular health insurance, or of universal health insurance ?

quote:
This one time, at Maradon! camp:

In My experience, a lot of it has to do with your Employer. I find it odd that I have been able to get much better Health Benefits cheaper with the 2 smaller local companies I worked for than The Ones from a Major Nationwide Retailer.

Peter fucked around with this message on 01-28-2008 at 11:02 PM.

Maradon!
posted 01-28-2008 10:59:30 PM
quote:
Petering:
You know, Car Insurance in this state has always Rankled me a bit. The State Makes it mandatory, and they pile some hefty penelties if you don't have it (If 1st offense Driving uninsured is as about as bad as maybe a really bad 2nd or 3rd offence DUI).

Don't forget that they roll any payouts into your premium - with interest, making it not so much "insurance" as a "loan with a huge monthly fee that you pay even if your balance is zero"

Skaw
posted 01-28-2008 11:53:50 PM
Yeah, car insurance is definitely one of the biggest robberies ever.
Kermitov
Pancake
posted 01-29-2008 12:46:42 AM
quote:
Maradon! thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:

I thought the same way, but I still carried health insurance. Then in April I broke my arm.

My cost with health insurance was just over 2,000$

My cost if I had not had health insurance? 44,000$

I highly doubt I've paid more than 40,000$ for health insurance in my lifetime.

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 01-29-2008 12:51:06 AM
i would rather spend a little bit of my paycheck each week (or a lot a bit, whatever) on knowing that i won't have to worry about hospital debt and/or bankruptcy if a brick falls off a building onto me while i'm walking down the street or something
Noxhil2
Pancake
posted 01-29-2008 01:00:05 AM
The stupidity of choosing not to have health insurance is one of the reasons why health care costs are so inflated.
Monica
I've got an owie on my head :(
posted 01-29-2008 01:03:19 AM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when Maradon! said:

I went to a local clinic like 6 months ago for a UTI and my grand total for the visit and prescription was like $80 without any insurance. Then 3 months ago I had strep throat and my insurance at work had kicked in by then (same clinic as the UTI), so I used it, and the grand total for visit and prescriptions was like $100, and now they are saying I owe them like another $35 as well.

I don't really understand what happened there. They take about $20 out of every paycheck I get and it doesn't seem like it's saving me any money, really.

Granted I don't know WTF I'm doing anyway so whatever.

Plus I -usually- never get sick anymore so I guess I just have insurance for like if I get into a car wreck or something.

Monica fucked around with this message on 01-29-2008 at 01:05 AM.

Kaiote
Shot in the Face
posted 01-29-2008 02:20:44 AM
quote:
Kermitov got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
I thought the same way, but I still carried health insurance. Then in April I broke my arm.

My cost with health insurance was just over 2,000$

My cost if I had not had health insurance? 44,000$

I highly doubt I've paid more than 40,000$ for health insurance in my lifetime.

44k for a broken arm?

Henry had been killed by a garden gnome.He had fallen off the roof onto that cheerful-looking figure. The gnome was made of concrete. Henry wasn't. - Dean Koontz, Velocity
Kinanik
Upset about being titless
posted 01-29-2008 02:33:05 AM
The problem with pricing in medicine, especially with insurance covering every little thing, is that there is little to no incentive for price competition. So some doctors charge $250 for a physical without insurance, while others charge $60. If you call them up and ask, they rarely know the price off the top of their head because so few people actually shop around when it comes to things like that.

For example, most insurance will cover at least one annual eye exam, the place across the street was charging $320 for an appointment without insurance. After making a couple calls, we found a place that charged $170, and another that charged $80. There was no difference in what the exam actually contained, but since it's such a rare case that people without eye insurance actually get examined, there's little reason to check on the competition's price, or even set a price that's more than just a random guess.

Gully Foyle is my name
And Terra is my nation
Deep space is my dwelling place
The stars my destination
Ryuujin
posted 01-29-2008 03:49:12 AM
After racking up $35,000 in bills over Christmas after I had emergency surgery...

I want me some insurance.

Aaron (the good one)
posted 01-29-2008 05:37:02 AM
quote:
Rockstar games presents; Kaiote;
44k for a broken arm?

doctors fees, cast, rehabilitation costs a ton. Weekly check ups.

Galbadia Hotel - Video Game Music
I am Canadian and I hate The Tragically Hip
Vernaltemptress
Withered and Alone
posted 01-29-2008 06:24:31 AM
Unfortunately, a large amount of your payment for health insurance goes to pay for overhead costs at the insurance agencies, and a large portion of the costs of care by a doctor (et al) or at hospitals goes to pay for the overhead costs of hiring people to file insurance reimbursement paperwork.

In France, virtually no doctors have a secretary/receptionist and take care of their own paperwork. Patients who see doctors are expected to pay an upfront payment (depending on their income) and file the paperwork themselves to receive reimbursement. Thereby, making the patients responsible for paying the doctors (and knowing the costs of treatment) and filing the claim for reimbursement, as opposed to having the doctor be responsible for filing the claims. In the end, medical care in France is much lower than medical care in the US (though the quality of care can be debated).

Going back to the original topic of this thread: If Obama chooses John Kerry or Ted Kennedy (which is why I think they are enthusiastically endorsing Obama instead of Clinton) as his running mate for Vice President, I would definitely vote Republican.

Obamanomics: spend, tax, and borrow.
Maradon!
posted 01-29-2008 07:29:22 AM
quote:
Noxhil2ing:
The stupidity of choosing not to have health insurance is one of the reasons why health care costs are so inflated.

Like most of the things that you believe, this is exactly the opposite of the truth.

Healthcare costs are inflated because too many people have health insurance, and their cost stays the same regardless of the actual price the health industry charges, so they don't shop around for healthcare. There is zero downward pressure on prices, and almost zero competition.

Callalron
Hires people with hooks
posted 01-29-2008 01:48:33 PM
quote:
Monica had this to say about dark elf butts:
I went to a local clinic like 6 months ago for a UTI and my grand total for the visit and prescription was like $80 without any insurance. Then 3 months ago I had strep throat and my insurance at work had kicked in by then (same clinic as the UTI), so I used it, and the grand total for visit and prescriptions was like $100, and now they are saying I owe them like another $35 as well.

I had to get a CDL physical for work a couple of weeks ago so I can drive our forklift. It cost the company $125 and it was so brief and cursory I'd have gotten a more thorough check of my health via satellite surveillance.

Callalron
"When mankind finally discovers the center of the universe, a lot of people are going to be upset that it isn't them."
"If you give a man a fish he'll eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish he'll just go out and buy an ugly hat. But if you talk to a starving man about fish, then you've become a consultant."--Dogbert
Arvek, 41 Bounty Hunter
Vrook Lamar server
Mr. Parcelan
posted 01-29-2008 02:18:47 PM
What do you have against McCain, or as I call him, the MC?
Cherveny
Papaya
posted 01-29-2008 03:45:17 PM
I thought you were most scared of Huckabee on the Republican side (although, if he fails miserably on "Super Tuesday", maybe we can just ignore him)

Also, anyone else thing Thompson's picture in Mar's signature looks... odd?

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 01-29-2008 05:06:16 PM
quote:
Peter had this to say about Knight Rider:
You know, Car Insurance in this state has always Rankled me a bit. The State Makes it mandatory, and they pile some hefty penalties if you don't have it (If 1st offense Driving uninsured is as about as bad as maybe a really bad 2nd or 3rd offence DUI). With the amount of money that Cash Cow Makes, Or how much the Fucking MVC makes off us you would figure the stat could get some sore of basic Car insurance for any taxpayer.

Fuck uninsured drivers. Uninsured drivers can, and often do, have more of a penalty for the people around them than uninsured people for medical care. If you hit me and you are at fault for an accident but have no car insurance, I'm fucked and have to sue you. And since you don't have much money to begin with, my uninsured motorist coverage has to pay for it. Which, in turn, leads to MY insurance rates going up.

Fuck uninsured drivers. If you can't afford car insurance, you shouldn't be driving.

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 01-29-2008 05:10:32 PM
quote:
Falaanla Marr had this to say about Reading Rainbow:
Fuck uninsured drivers. If you can't afford car insurance, you shouldn't be driving.

quote if you're down

Anakha's Wii
Pancake
posted 01-29-2008 05:25:00 PM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Falaanla Marr!
"From the depths of my parent's basement, thy has truly struck a blow for nonconformity."
Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 01-29-2008 05:36:52 PM
quote:
It was not by my hand that I am once again given flesh! I was called here by Falaanla Marr who wishes to pay me tribute!

For once I jump on this bandwagon.

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piƱa coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Jargum
Doughnut
posted 01-29-2008 05:50:30 PM
quote:
Mr. Gainsborough thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:
quote if you're down
Maradon!
posted 01-29-2008 06:30:45 PM
quote:
x--ChervenyO-('-'Q) :
I thought you were most scared of Huckabee on the Republican side (although, if he fails miserably on "Super Tuesday", maybe we can just ignore him)

Huckabee is probably the second worst candidate. Huckabee is at least OK on a couple issues like gun control and he's sort of a gray area on immigration. He pays lip service to libertarian principles, but when it comes down to the wire, he just can't resist taxing and spending and increasing the scope of government, and then he uses the bible to justify it.

John McCain, on the other hand, jumps up and down and screams loudly in opposition to almost everything libertarians and conservatives believe in. He didn't just support amnesty, carbon taxes, and outlawing political speech - he fucking co-sponsored the bills they were on, then got onto a soap box and demagogued anyone who tried to tell him different. John McCain is the biggest dickweed in our government today.

quote:
Also, anyone else thing Thompson's picture in Mar's signature looks... odd?

Fred Thompson is a terrifying and intimidating person and that is why he would have made an awesome president. There are rumors circulating that he may be chosen to be VP and that's why he pulled out so early.

Zair
The Imp
posted 01-29-2008 07:13:51 PM
quote:
Maradon! stopped beating up furries long enough to write:
Fred Thompson is a terrifying and intimidating person and that is why he would have made an awesome president. There are rumors circulating that he may be chosen to be VP and that's why he pulled out so early.

I thought it was because he ran a completely unnoticed campaign and had no chance of winning any primaries.

Maradon!
posted 01-29-2008 07:28:23 PM
quote:
Peanut butter ass Shaq Zair booooze lime pole over bench lick:
I thought it was because he ran a completely unnoticed campaign and had no chance of winning any primaries.

Thompson actually had a pretty decent number of supporters. As my sig indicates, he did better than either Paul or Giuliani.

His campaign wasn't unnoticed so much as it was nonexistent. The guy just didn't sell himself very well. Still, he was funded at least through super tuesday, there was no reason for him to drop out when he did.

Zair
The Imp
posted 01-29-2008 07:39:20 PM
quote:
We were all impressed when Maradon! wrote:

His campaign wasn't unnoticed so much as it was nonexistent. The guy just didn't sell himself very well. Still, he was funded at least through super tuesday, there was no reason for him to drop out when he did.

Well, he was basically drafted into running by people who thought he would be Reagan II. We all know how well being drafted into running worked for Wesley Clarke.

The funniest part of Thompson's campaign was all the reports that came out from old colleagues about how lazy he was, from fellow senators to his old high school gym coach.

Noxhil2
Pancake
posted 01-29-2008 08:31:28 PM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Maradon!:
Like most of the things that you believe, this is exactly the opposite of the truth.

Healthcare costs are inflated because too many people have health insurance, and their cost stays the same regardless of the actual price the health industry charges, so they don't shop around for healthcare. There is zero downward pressure on prices, and almost zero competition.

Health care in the U.S. operates on the assumption that you have health insurance. Most people do. You do not. If you get prostate cancer tomorrow, guess who will pick up the costs for treating you? Then the hospitals have to pass on the costs in increased prices to everyone.

Now if you want to argue we should let you die, that's your right, but good luck convincing the country that people who can't afford health care should die.

Zair
The Imp
posted 01-29-2008 10:14:51 PM
Bump for the big McCain win in Florida. He is now the definite frontrunner going into Super Tuesday.

Also, NBC News is reporting Guiliani is going to drop out and endorse McCain tomorrow.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: