EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Laptop Help.
Kaiote
Shot in the Face
posted 01-22-2008 10:03:04 AM
Ok boys and girls.. Here's the deal. I'm looking at buying two new laptops. But rather than just posting a parts list for people to argue about, or tell me to go and spend an extra 200 bucks for something different.. I want some help understanding shit.

Dual Core, CoreDuo and all that jazz. My thinking is that this means that while it might have the same Ghz rating as a single core, it's running two of those, and therefore is capable of doing more shit at the same time. Is this basically right? Or is there some not obvious reason for the naming scheme?

Mobile Video. How much is REALLY needed to run graphics design programs, AutoCad and games? I read reviews and it all confuses the ever loving shit out of me, because it's always 3-4 cockjockeys with their comps stats in their sig, arguing about the subtle differences between a GrafxFucker9800GTXaz and a GrafxFucker9800GTXba and both sides insist the other sides card is unplayable. I read benchmark shit, and it's greek and all looks alike.

My thought on the video is that theres basic groups of quality in laptop graphics. The baseline shit they stick in walmart discount machines, up to the ubercard that does everything but give you a handjob while you play. I'm figuring that for WoW and such, somewhere between Shit and Orgasm will be fine. Is this right?

I won't pretend to udnerstand Vista. From what I've read, I need nothing more than home premium. Is there any valid reason to spend the money on more crap in Vista?

I'm looking at HP and Dell for the extended warranties. Yes, I know its cheaper for more at ibuypower or cyberpowerpc or wherever the other flavor of the month discount machine site, but If I buy a lemon.. I want that lemon replaced promptly.

Is there anything else I should keep in consideration?

Henry had been killed by a garden gnome.He had fallen off the roof onto that cheerful-looking figure. The gnome was made of concrete. Henry wasn't. - Dean Koontz, Velocity
Vernaltemptress
Withered and Alone
posted 01-22-2008 10:11:35 AM
First, answer this question: What do you anticipate using the laptop for?
Obamanomics: spend, tax, and borrow.
Kaiote
Shot in the Face
posted 01-22-2008 10:19:59 AM
I'll be getting two, for two different people.

One will be used for general internet, college work, and light gaming.
The other will be used for rendering models, heavier gaming.

Henry had been killed by a garden gnome.He had fallen off the roof onto that cheerful-looking figure. The gnome was made of concrete. Henry wasn't. - Dean Koontz, Velocity
`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 01-22-2008 12:09:01 PM
With a standard (single-core) processor, there is one processing (thinking) section and one on-chip memory section. With a dual-core processor, there are two processing sections with one (possibly larger) on-chip memory section feeding them both. If you're looking at the GHz listing on the processors, then yes, a dual-core 2GHz processor will run a lot faster than a single-core 2GHz processor... for some things. It's best for multitasking, or for applications written to harness dual processors. Applications that need to perform calculations in an exact order (single thread iirc) won't take advantage of the dual-core processor, though you'll be less likely to bog down the operating system if an application hogs processor time. The number listed as part of the processor name (like 3400+ or 5600XT) can give you an indication of the processor's overall speed (relative to other processor names), though it's mostly wishful thinking.

I don't know much about mobile video. From what I've seen in other devices, the "mobile" part added to a device name typically implies lower power consumption for equal or near-equal performance.

When it comes to the support contracts, there's ups and downs. Dealing with support these days typically means 10-20 minutes bouncing around the automated system, followed by up to an hour on hold, then 2-4 hours on the phone with someone who barely speaks the language (HP is now subcontracting at least part of their English-speaking support to Costa Rica), possibly including more hold time. Support personnel are typically required to follow a script, designed specifically to prevent you from getting any other type of aid (technician on site, return merchandise authorization, etc) until all other possibilities (no matter how remote) have been exhausted. Even if they do give you an RMA, it means that, no matter what the problem, what you get back is someone else's refurbished laptop (so back up your data often).

On the whole, I'd advise you to go for Dell over HP, though people I know have had varying experiences with both brands of laptops. If you want a good deal, try searching on Google for word combinations like "dell coupon" or "hp rebate". If you know what model you want, you can include its name in the search as well.

Most of the features in Vista Business or Vista Ultimate that don't come with Vista Home Premium are meant for businesses. They can be useful to individuals at times, but for the most part you won't miss them. Vista also comes with a post-purchase online upgrade option, though I haven't tried it out. The biggest single difference is the level of security integrated into Business/Ultimate.

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Timpofee
Mancake
posted 01-22-2008 12:35:13 PM
Why do you want Vista? That is a hog and a half
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 01-22-2008 12:43:43 PM
quote:
Timpofee got served! Timpofee got served!

Most large vendors are no longer shipping or supporting XP with their home laptop offerings. Business laptops still have XP as an option, and probably will for a long time.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 01-22-2008 12:44:39 PM
quote:
A sleep deprived Timpofee stammered:

Because everything coming out is gonna be Vista only whether it's a good OS or not?

Kaiote
Shot in the Face
posted 01-22-2008 12:49:11 PM
Thanks Doc.. cleared up a lot for me.

As for wanting Vista..
Dell will still do XP if you want, but why?
When was the last time you saw new products for Windows 3.1? New products are produced with the predominant OS in mind. It may be a hog, but I'm buying machines designed to run on it. I don't see a problem.

Batty
Doesn't Like You. Specifically you.
posted 01-22-2008 01:28:37 PM
quote:
Kaiote had this to say about Reading Rainbow:
As for wanting Vista..
Dell will still do XP if you want, but why?
When was the last time you saw new products for Windows 3.1? New products are produced with the predominant OS in mind. It may be a hog, but I'm buying machines designed to run on it. I don't see a problem.

Except that Vista is not the predominant OS. Even after, what a year now, XP is vastly more common in any setting. There's quite a number of petitions to keep Microsoft supporting XP. Due to this, most new things that come out will still be able to run on XP.

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 01-22-2008 02:04:04 PM
From what I've seen thus far, the differences between XP and Vista are mostly a matter of "shiny". Vista has a metric ton of cosmetic changes, some of which are better than others, and most of which are intended for ease of use among the computer illiterate (though it doesn't seem to work out that way). Vista is by far the prettier operating system, but I've noticed very few functional differences. A fair amount of older software has issues on Vista, which is probably why vista has "compatability mode" (an option in the properties for any executable, that lets you tell Vista to pretend to be an older OS when running that program). On the other hand, Vista probably has better support for dual-core processor handling (i.e. load distribution), so going with Vista on a dual-core system is probably a good idea just for that.
Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Maradon!
posted 01-23-2008 12:21:28 AM
If you have 2gb of RAM or more, vista is in every way superior to xp.
Alaan
posted 01-23-2008 12:44:17 AM
The new search feature brings great happiness to my life.
Mr. Gainsborough
posted 01-23-2008 12:49:54 AM
quote:
`Doc had this to say about the Spice Girls:
From what I've seen thus far, the differences between XP and Vista are mostly a matter of "shiny". Vista has a metric ton of cosmetic changes, some of which are better than others, and most of which are intended for ease of use among the computer illiterate (though it doesn't seem to work out that way). Vista is by far the prettier operating system, but I've noticed very few functional differences. A fair amount of older software has issues on Vista, which is probably why vista has "compatability mode" (an option in the properties for any executable, that lets you tell Vista to pretend to be an older OS when running that program). On the other hand, Vista probably has better support for dual-core processor handling (i.e. load distribution), so going with Vista on a dual-core system is probably a good idea just for that.

so it looks better, has ways of running old programs and works better with dual-core systems (most systems out today), and functions just like XP for everything else

hm

Alaan
posted 01-23-2008 01:09:31 AM
Shockingly, XP has a funny little thing in it that lets you run older programs in compatibility mode. Because lots of stuff didn't run on XP when it came out! And gasp, everyone bitched about the resources it used. Everyone will get over themselves in a while and we'll be on our merry way with Vista and Server 08.
Gadani
U
posted 01-23-2008 01:49:41 AM
Compatibility mode isn't worth <insert worthless object here>.
Mr. Gainsborough
posted 01-23-2008 01:58:00 AM
quote:
Gadani's unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:
Compatibility mode isn't worth <insert worthless object here>.

ok

Gadani
U
posted 01-23-2008 02:06:47 AM
quote:
From the book of Mr. Gainsborough, chapter 3, verse 16:
ok

for xp.

in my experience.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 01-23-2008 02:06:52 AM
I've yet to encounter any compatibility issues in Vista. I think the closest thing might have been the cursor issue with CoX and that was resolved with a minor addition to the target line in the shortcut I used to open it. Other than that, everything has been quite smooth.
Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Alaan
posted 01-23-2008 02:13:39 AM
Been a few hiccups here and there, but nothing I couldn't work around. And some times programs that claim they didn't install correctly because they aren't compatible with Vista do work still.
Greenlit
posted 01-23-2008 02:24:09 AM
My only Vista issue is the start menu. Most programs' installers fail to create start menu shortcuts in Vista because of its local folders.
Damnati
Filthy
posted 01-23-2008 02:28:22 AM
quote:
Greenlit had this to say about Knight Rider:
My only Vista issue is the start menu. Most programs' installers fail to create start menu shortcuts in Vista because of its local folders.

I've never noticed such an issue myself. Even with stuff designed for XP (most recently CDex and foobar) seems to put the appropriate shortcuts there.

Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Greenlit
posted 01-23-2008 02:29:02 AM
Maybe it's a double whammy of being 64-bit Vista.
Maradon!
posted 01-23-2008 07:10:29 AM
quote:
Over the mountain, in between the ups and downs, I ran into Greenlit who doth quote:
Maybe it's a double whammy of being 64-bit Vista.

I've got 64-bit vista and I haven't noticed such a thing either.

Don't forget, if it's a game, Vista will shuffle the shortcut into the "Games" folder by default

Alidane
Urinary Tract Infection
posted 01-23-2008 01:07:49 PM
Are there separate Home/Business/Ultimate editions for the 64-bit Vistas?
Greenlit
posted 01-23-2008 01:15:02 PM
Everything except that freaky cheapo third world version of Vista supports both 32 and 64 bit.
Alidane
Urinary Tract Infection
posted 01-23-2008 01:45:44 PM
quote:
Greenlit posted

Everything except that freaky cheapo third world version of Vista supports both 32 and 64 bit.

According to the MS website, they're under separate licenses which is kinda poo-ass.

Thanks.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 01-23-2008 02:10:31 PM
quote:
Alidane said this about your mom:
According to the MS website, they're under separate licenses which is kinda poo-ass.

Thanks.

What? I was told that the key was interchangeable between 32 and 64? Maybe that only applies to MSDNAA licenses. I also remember hearing that if you own 32 bit and wish to upgrade they will switch your media for like 10bux, but if you don't see anything about it on Microsoft's website then :/

Alidane
Urinary Tract Infection
posted 01-23-2008 02:49:44 PM
quote:
Kegwen posted

What? I was told that the key was interchangeable between 32 and 64? Maybe that only applies to MSDNAA licenses. I also remember hearing that if you own 32 bit and wish to upgrade they will switch your media for like 10bux, but if you don't see anything about it on Microsoft's website then :/

If the key is interchangeable, that'd be spiffy. I just saw 64-bit and 32-bit being sold separately, and assumed the licenses were separate as well.

Amazing how complicated they can make this.

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 01-23-2008 03:39:56 PM
quote:
See, your Mr. Gainsborough means your hair. So technically it's true.
so it looks better, has ways of running old programs and works better with dual-core systems (most systems out today), and functions just like XP for everything else

hm

More or less, though there are a few annoyances involved as well. In order to protect inept users from self-installing software (viruses, spyware, etc), Vista prompts anywhere from 2 to 12 times whether the user is sure they want to run the (i.e. any) installer. Any programs that need administrator rights must be specifically told to run as an administrator (prompting another round of are-you-sure inquiries), including the DOS prompt (if you want to run admin-rights commands). The new "simplified" control panels are annoying, but switching to "classic view" helps. It has a [windows][tab] version of the [alt][tab] feature, which is prettier but does the same thing. And as others have mentioned, Vista consumes more resources (though you knew that). Whether you'll like the new Start Menu (or is it called the Windows menu now?) layout depends entirely on you. (I personally dislike how the self-contained All Programs menu puts files above folders. The search/run duplex feature was annoying at first, but it was nice once I got used to it.)

Alaan
posted 01-24-2008 12:09:55 AM
So, one thing that you can disable in about 2 minutes, Control Panel just like XP's default, and complaining about a new feature. BRILLIANT.
Maradon!
posted 01-24-2008 12:11:11 AM
quote:
Peanut butter ass Shaq Alidane booooze lime pole over bench lick:
If the key is interchangeable, that'd be spiffy.

It is interchangeable. I know this because I did it.

Alidane
Urinary Tract Infection
posted 01-24-2008 01:06:19 AM
quote:
Maradon! posted

It is interchangeable. I know this because I did it.

Great, thanks.

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 01-24-2008 09:22:28 AM
quote:
See, your Alaan means your hair. So technically it's true.
So, one thing that you can disable in about 2 minutes, Control Panel just like XP's default, and complaining about a new feature. BRILLIANT.
I have yet to find a way to turn off the "are you sure? really? can you prove it?" prompts. They're most troublesome at work, where I need to perform administrative tasks regularly. Once in a while an installer just won't finish, because it stalls on an "are you sure?" prompt that fails to actually appear on the screen.

The control panel isn't just like XP. The main menu has two modes like XP. (I always preferred classic mode, because I can actually find what I'm seeking. The newer format forces a person to go through several tiers of wizard-like menus with names designed to be friendly rather than descriptive.) Beyond that, half of the control panels themselves have gone through similar beautification in Vista, which makes some (more basic) functions easier to find while hiding other (more powerful) ones. And of course it has the "are you sure?" prompts for every one of the advanced menus.

As for the rest, it's basically a matter of taste. The new window-toggle feature is just an example of "pretty" that's functionally unnecessary; like most of the cosmetic changes, whether a person considers it good or bad is a matter of taste, but it won't make or break the OS.

Tier
posted 01-24-2008 10:05:52 AM
quote:
`Doc's account was hax0red to write:
I have yet to find a way to turn off the "are you sure? really? can you prove it?" prompts. They're most troublesome at work, where I need to perform administrative tasks regularly.

Are you for real? You work at this and haven't looked it up on Google or anything?

Greenlit
posted 01-24-2008 12:33:56 PM
It's always safe to assume that Doc doesn't have any fucking clue about anything he's talking about. He just babbles incessantly in an attempt to remain relevant to any conversation at hand.
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 01-24-2008 12:53:49 PM
While I went back to XP on my main system, Vista still is not a horrid operating system and I'll probably move back to it within 6 months to 1 year.

And Doc -- try typing in the search box what you need to get to on the control panel. I use that extensively on Vista and love it. For add remove programs, just type add and you'll get it, for example. And yes, turning off UAC is pretty friggin easy.

Maradon!
posted 01-24-2008 01:49:29 PM
LITTLE KNOWN VISTA FACT:

The search box at the bottom of the start menu is also the run box from XP. Little commands you used to use like "calc" or "notepad" or "cmd" still work

Greenlit
posted 01-24-2008 02:45:37 PM
Not for me they don't. What the fuck is going on with my install.

I just use Windows-R to pull up a Run prompt anyway.

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 01-24-2008 02:57:03 PM
quote:
100% USDA grade-A Falaanla Marr
And Doc -- try typing in the search box what you need to get to on the control panel. I use that extensively on Vista and love it. For add remove programs, just type add and you'll get it, for example. And yes, turning off UAC is pretty friggin easy.
I've done that in cases where I know the name of the program I want. It works for most programs, but not all, and there are certain programs it insists on hiding. I did say I liked that feature once I got used to it, but it was annoying at first. Oh, and you won't get "Add/Remove Programs" by typing "add", because they renamed it to "Programs and Features".
quote:
Asha'man is attacking the darkness!

Are you for real? You work at this and haven't looked it up on Google or anything?

Maybe it would have helped if I'd ever heard it called the UAC. It's not listed by name in any of the prompts (which is strange, since the name is clearly shown in the pictures from those articles), and I haven't needed to work with it before Vista (since it apparently didn't exist before Vista). Now I know. Since it doesn't seem to affect other aspects of system security (like the firewall or the need to authenticate), I'll turn it off on one system at work, to see if {a} it turns itself back on (because of one of our domain's group policies), or {b} turning it off results in an unexpected security risk (like the antivirus software suddenly failing). I'm also somewhat concerned about it being an all-or-nothing feature. Maybe the next version of Windows will make it scalable.
quote:
Previously on Planet Maradon!...
LITTLE KNOWN VISTA FACT:

The search box at the bottom of the start menu is also the run box from XP. Little commands you used to use like "calc" or "notepad" or "cmd" still work

That reminds me, I need to look up a way to forcibly hide the Vista search box. We have group policies in place that hide both the XP search function and the Run command, but it still shows up. Google is coming up empty, though I may just not know the right phrasing for the search.

Maradon!
posted 01-24-2008 06:46:16 PM
Another upside to vista: Vista-tan is about a billion times hotter than any of the other OS-tans

Awwww yeaaah

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: