EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: San Diego's Burning Again
Dr. Gee
Say it Loud, Say it Plowed!
posted 10-22-2007 02:23:21 PM
Remember the fuckoff huge fires that happened in San Diego and most of the rest of southern California a few years ago? Well it's happening again. The sky's been covered with ash and smoke since yesterday and there are evacuations starting <10 miles away from my house. The shit is seriously hitting the fan out here due to the santa ana wind conditions.

And when I say less than ten I'm not fucking around. I'm just south of the line here on this map: map

Dr. Gee fucked around with this message on 10-22-2007 at 02:26 PM.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 10-22-2007 02:32:34 PM
Try to survive.

We have to rebuild.

Demos
Pancake
posted 10-22-2007 02:45:17 PM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Mr. Parcelan said this:
Try to survive.

We have to rebuild.

We require additional pylons.

Sorry, couldn't resist

Joking aside, stay safe, and I hope everything turns out ok. Do you have a plan set up in case you need to evacuate, with alternate routes?

If you have to leave, take any gas with you that you can, and if you have any yard tools or mowers that use regular unleaded, siphon that out into a safe container too. Then not only are you prepared if you're unable to make it to a gas station, but anything you empty is less likely to go up in the event that the line does make its way near your house.

"Jesus saves, Buddha enlightens, Cthulhu thinks you'll make a nice sandwich."
Razor
posted 10-22-2007 04:06:16 PM
My home up north was evac'd and the fire is burning less than 2 blocks from the condo up there. My mom got the important papers and the two furballs (Dog and Cat) and is now down south where i've been living for a few months. Stay safe Gee, DoR, etc in the burn areas.
Astronomy is a passion...
Engineering is a love...
My job isn't a job, it's my career, and I love every minute of it: Observatory Superintendent
Dr. Gee
posted 10-22-2007 04:07:11 PM
With the way the wind's going it's doubtful I'm gonna have to get out within the next few days.

Current count right now is between 250000 and 300000 people having been evacuated with well over 100000 acres burned.

Only 1 death and 17 injuries have been reported due directly to the fire and all of those happened yesterday when the whole thing was getting started. Since then evacuations have been going smoothly.

The county's pretty much shut down with all the city schools being closed tomorrow and they just shut down the elementary schools today at noon.

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 10-22-2007 04:09:58 PM
GLOBAL WARMING

WE DIDN'T LISTEN

Alidane
Urinary Tract Infection
posted 10-22-2007 05:02:25 PM
Jesus. Here's to hoping I'll have something to visit for the holidays.
Damnati
Filthy
posted 10-22-2007 05:03:58 PM
I've a friend who works for CDF. Seeing reports of dead and injured fire fighters has me a bit worried for him; I imagine his entire immediate family is working on this fire in some manner. Hopefully they've got someone taking care of their animals; they live out in Descanso and there's fire there too.
Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Dave
)_(
posted 10-22-2007 05:08:34 PM
quote:
Mr. Gainsborough had this to say about Reading Rainbow:
GLOBAL WARMING

WE DIDN'T LISTEN

The fire nation must be attacking! ...Who killed the avatar?

Seriously though.. best wishes to all out those over there.

Dr. Gee
posted 10-22-2007 05:12:48 PM
Ya, they just put Scripps Ranch (the area of San Diego just east of me) on notice to evac so right now there are mandatory evacuations to the east and north of me aka time to start packing shit up.
Death of Rats
Pancake
posted 10-22-2007 05:27:32 PM
Yea, the area I work in (Miramar) is being evacutated. I live a few miles away from that area.

Our boss is telling us we have to stay at work.

Death of Rats fucked around with this message on 10-22-2007 at 05:28 PM.

A particularly crafty sea lion is befuddling the Army Corps of Engineers, who have come to believe the 1,000-pound mammal is either from hell -- or from Harvard.
Dr. Gee
posted 10-22-2007 05:39:57 PM
If your area is a mandatory evacuation area and your boss is telling you to stay you need to tell him to shut the fuck up. Just make sure you are in an evac zone first

Right now they're saying north of miramar road and east of the 15, so if you're in miramar proper you're (as of 20 or so minutes ago on the 8 news site) not in an evac point yet.

Death of Rats
Pancake
posted 10-22-2007 05:44:49 PM
Not quite, I work at the Miramar landfill, south of the base. And my boss is the mayor. He's telling everyone to stay home and don't go to work, but when we try that, they tell us taht the landfill is an emergency service and is vital to staying open. *shakes his head*

If it gets any closer, jumping south of miramar road, or west of the 15, I'm just going to walk off. but yea, it sucks over here. They say that the air quality is poor. I ask, their still using the word quality?

It was sad though watching one of the tv news casters home burning on live tv while he reported on it, ( him being Larry Hamil on news 8.).

Death of Rats fucked around with this message on 10-22-2007 at 05:47 PM.

A particularly crafty sea lion is befuddling the Army Corps of Engineers, who have come to believe the 1,000-pound mammal is either from hell -- or from Harvard.
Maradon!
posted 10-22-2007 07:09:41 PM
Then a rolling blackout knocks out the power at the fire stations.

Then an earthquake knocks down power lines which cause even more fires.

Then the hippies get together and protest the firefighters for interfering with nature reasserting itself.

Razor
posted 10-22-2007 08:31:06 PM
Word so far is that my house is safe up in RB, but won't be sure till tomorrow when they post up stuff on the city website. Most likely won't be 100% sure till Wed. What a wonderful fire season.
Engineering is a love...
My job isn't a job, it's my career, and I love every minute of it: Observatory Superintendent
Death of Rats
Pancake
posted 10-22-2007 08:44:05 PM
Glad to hear that razor. Good luck with that and will be hoping you pull out of it alright.

my g/f found this cool national fire site.

Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 10-22-2007 09:03:07 PM
Crazy stuff everywhere.

My entire ship is on recall status so we can help people out with random problems and let people volunteer.

(Insert Funny Phrase Here)
Mr. Parcelan
posted 10-22-2007 09:24:39 PM
Here's something I've been wondering since I read this thread.

Why did Razor decide to evacuate and not burn himself to death?

Kill yourself, Razor.

Kill yourself, Razor.

Kill yourself, Razor.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 10-22-2007 09:45:38 PM
quote:
We were all impressed when Mr. Parcelan wrote:
Here's something I've been wondering since I read this thread.

Why did Razor decide to evacuate and not burn himself to death?

Kill yourself, Razor.

Kill yourself, Razor.

Kill yourself, Razor.

Razor did not evacuate because, as he said, he doesn't live anywhere near the burn zones anymore.

quote:
My home up north was evac'd and the fire is burning less than 2 blocks from the condo up there. My mom got the important papers and the two furballs (Dog and Cat) and is now down south where i've been living for a few months.

Reading comprehension for the lose?

Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 10-22-2007 09:46:56 PM
Why did Razor not kill himself?
Mr. Parcelan
posted 10-22-2007 09:47:29 PM
One of your characters is named Moonwhysper.

Tell us about that.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 10-22-2007 09:48:31 PM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan had this to say about dark elf butts:
One of your characters is named Moonwhysper.

Tell us about that.

That was a traumatic event, I'd rather not speak of it.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 10-22-2007 09:50:28 PM
How do you feel about my sigpic?
Damnati
Filthy
posted 10-22-2007 09:54:44 PM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Mr. Parcelan said:
How do you feel about my sigpic?

I'd hit it like the fist of an angry god.

Dr. Gee
posted 10-22-2007 10:27:52 PM
Ya, I think it's my turn to start getting the fuck out of dodge. Need to verify, but I think the news just reported that my area is getting a mandatory evac order.

Nope, I'm now at the exact edge of the evac area though so time to go into stage 2 of getting shit together. A friend of mine is probably going to be coming down here though since she's in the evac zone.

Dr. Gee fucked around with this message on 10-22-2007 at 10:36 PM.

Willias
Pancake
posted 10-22-2007 11:04:43 PM
Stay safe man.
Kermitov
Pancake
posted 10-22-2007 11:04:44 PM
Just got off the phone with my Mom, She said this morning channel 10 was saying anything south of hwy 78 and in between 5 and 15 was mandatory but now it's changed to voluntary. They live just off 78 in Vista.

Her car is packed and they can see a fire a ways off to the southeast from their porch.

Razor
posted 10-23-2007 12:09:17 AM
quote:
Kermitov had this to say about Pirotess:
Just got off the phone with my Mom, She said this morning channel 10 was saying anything south of hwy 78 and in between 5 and 15 was mandatory but now it's changed to voluntary. They live just off 78 in Vista.

Her car is packed and they can see a fire a ways off to the southeast from their porch.

Depending where in San Marcos and Vista, it varries.

Evac/fire maps for SD

Also there's some nice pics from Nasa up of the LA fires: NASA

Engineering is a love...
Dr. Gee
posted 10-23-2007 01:15:24 AM
Those maps are out of date unfortunately :/

News 8 keeps throwing up one that doesn't show the current evac area under the 56.

Dr. Gee
posted 10-23-2007 01:29:10 PM
Just got up. The KPBS news reported that the evacuee count is at around 500k right now and the initial estimate of the total houses burned is at 1000. Of course, the Witch and Harris fires are still going batshit crazy and I haven't seen any reports of them being at all contained yet.

It seems San Diego is getting mad props right now for how the city handled the emergency. Not so much in dealing with the fire itself since we litterally don't have the resources to contain the shit, but in getting out timely and ordered evacs to everyone in harms way and the fact that the evac shelters were set up perfectly and have been very well organized.

Personally I think I'm totally out of the way of the fire at this point, but who the fuck knows. One of my friends and her family is staying here since they were evacuated. Ironically I just hauled my two spare beds to the dump on Saturday to prep for some other friends moving in, so they're on sleeping bags on the carpet right now.

I'll post up any interesting news that happens or better damage reports when I hear them.

Death of Rats
Pancake
posted 10-23-2007 02:15:46 PM
I've just heard that the haris fire is 5% contained and the Witch fire is still 0% contained. And yea, they don't expect to really start getting it contained till... this WEEKEND!

Also, they have been evacing Del Mar (the multi-million dollar homes) which is right on the coast. The fire is almost to the ocean. As for the Harris fire, the winds have changed direction and it is now starting to blow into the rancho san diego community, which is a heavy populated area. Its also where my parents live the fire is probably within 3 miles of their home.

Death of Rats
Pancake
posted 10-23-2007 03:38:07 PM
This mapis kept up to date so it has the current evac and fire areas.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 10-23-2007 03:46:32 PM
Why is Razor not dead yet?
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 10-23-2007 03:58:24 PM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan said:
Why is Razor not dead yet?

Fate has a sense of humour.

Death of Rats
Pancake
posted 10-23-2007 04:08:39 PM
And if things arn't bad enough, a dump truck here at the landfill caught fire while it was waiting in line to come in. It's dropped its load so im now watching a huge pile of trash burning right next to a several sq. mile field of dried grass.
Razor
posted 10-23-2007 08:54:38 PM
*lives on*
Well my house is fine, only smoke damage, turns out the governator was touring our area, and Bush might be on Thu.

Fate loves me too much for me to die yet.

Engineering is a love...
Maradon!
posted 10-23-2007 09:21:46 PM
What I'm wondering is why does this happen in october but not in august?
Death of Rats
Pancake
posted 10-23-2007 09:37:52 PM
quote:
Maradon! attempted to be funny by writing:

San Diego is not what you would call 'normal' or 'sane' nature or human wise.

Callalron
Hires people with hooks
posted 10-23-2007 11:06:31 PM
quote:
Maradon! thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:

Because you need a whole summer of hot, rainless weather to dry out the brush to the perfect tinder-dry state. Mix in 80+ mph Santa Ana winds which occur this time of year and an ignition source and viola California Flambe.

Just wait until this coming winter. If it actually manages to rain--mudslides galore! And not the good Kaluha type, either.

Callalron
"When mankind finally discovers the center of the universe, a lot of people are going to be upset that it isn't them."
"If you give a man a fish he'll eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish he'll just go out and buy an ugly hat. But if you talk to a starving man about fish, then you've become a consultant."--Dogbert
Arvek, 41 Bounty Hunter
Vrook Lamar server
Naimah
In a Fire
posted 10-23-2007 11:17:39 PM
Isn't Cali a great place to live?
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: