EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: What is it?
Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 07-21-2007 07:30:56 AM
This is a question I ask in all seriousness.

What is it that makes Harry Potter so popular?

I mean, personally, I dont really like the books. I dislike Rowling's writing style, and her subject matter usually makes me cringe. When I read any of them, it reminded me of Roald Dahl, who was a good children's author, but would probably make my brain explode if I tried to read it today.

And it is not as though this was the first series of books to be written about a kid who finds out he has amazing powers greater than that of other mortals. I'm not trying to say the books shouldnt be successful, because if the public loves them, more power to Rowling. Frankly, I'm happy to see so many people get hyped into reading like this.

But what I cannot fathom is what makes the books so popular, especially when the subject matter is far to the outside of what the majority of the public reads (IE, fantasy fiction).

Any ideas?

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Gadani
U
posted 07-21-2007 07:36:29 AM
The world is interesting, the characters are interesting, and her writing style is accessible to everyone.
Talonus
Loner
posted 07-21-2007 07:42:46 AM
Light reading that is interesting enough for many to get people reading it and isn't horribly written. The craze is just a result of the popularity of the books growing exponentially. Many are simply reading it because the books are popular.

Compare it to The Da Vinci Code vs Foucault's Pendulum. The former is pretty blunt and poorly told, but it is interesting enough and easy to read. The latter is deeper, but far harder to read for the average reader. There's no question why the former was more popular in the first place and why that popularity kept growing.

Talonus fucked around with this message on 07-21-2007 at 07:45 AM.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 07-21-2007 07:43:05 AM
It's easily-understandable LOTR for stupid people and children.

So of course it's going to be popular to the general public.

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 07-21-2007 11:34:35 AM
It was on Oprah's Book Club List and it's a fantasy novel series.
Monica
I've got an owie on my head :(
posted 07-21-2007 11:36:58 AM
Yeah pretty much it's easily accessible and appeals to children.

The UPS guy should be bringing my copy of book 7 to the door any time now. Mwahahaha.

Ragabash
Pancake
posted 07-21-2007 11:50:20 AM
If someone really understood why they would be writing their own book series now.
Feed my hungry soul.
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 07-21-2007 08:43:41 PM
Teachers like it because it's easily accessible to young readers and, in a marketing genius ploy, it was made affordable to schools as part of the Scholastic novel series, so schools can get their hands on large numbers of copies pretty cheap. Then the level of writing scales up...so while the first book is pretty light and all fluffy and happy, by book five the writing and subject matter has matured along with the reader, while still remaining accessible.

No-one, I think, would say that it's the pinnacle of literary art (there really IS no one pinnacle of literary art) but there is a lot going for the series as a whole even if it isn't necessarily everyone's cup of tea.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Tier
posted 07-21-2007 10:46:59 PM
It's popular because it appeals to the satanist and the wiccan in each and everyone of us. Clearly such a book is a threat to Christianty.

But no, seriously. Here's an amazing concept. People possess opinions! And what do you know, they differ from one person to the other. Novel concept, isn't it? Trying to dissect other people's thoughts when yours are inherently tinged with subjectivity is a waste of mind.

I can tell you why I like the series personally. Sure, there are plenty of cliché fantasy books about your average Joe who finds out he has extraordinary powers. What makes this one special is how Rowling brings up tiny details into her world. It's not typical high fantasy where average Joe discovers his powers and wields them at an epic scale in order to save the world from a terrible menace. It's about a bunch of average joes who use their powers for intricate details ranging from moving photographs and ever-changing flavored beans to traveling through fireplaces or carrying howling letters by owl mail. This application to details of daily life is what makes the series much easier to relate to for myself and probably for many others.

Asha'man fucked around with this message on 07-21-2007 at 10:48 PM.

Callalron
Hires people with hooks
posted 07-21-2007 11:41:45 PM
Maybe it's the highly addictive, psychoactive chemicals lacing each page of the books?

What? It's as good a theory as any other.

Callalron
"When mankind finally discovers the center of the universe, a lot of people are going to be upset that it isn't them."
"If you give a man a fish he'll eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish he'll just go out and buy an ugly hat. But if you talk to a starving man about fish, then you've become a consultant."--Dogbert
Arvek, 41 Bounty Hunter
Vrook Lamar server
Mr. Parcelan
posted 07-21-2007 11:53:27 PM
Is Asha'man gay

[ ] Yes
[ ] No

Maradon!
posted 07-22-2007 12:11:47 AM
quote:
Peanut butter ass Shaq Callalron booooze lime pole over bench lick:
Maybe it's the highly addictive, psychoactive chemicals lacing each page of the books?

What? It's as good a theory as any other.

Looking at AP photos from Potter Parties I'd have to say this theory is a great deal more sound than the popular "it's good writing" theory

Skaw
posted 07-22-2007 01:05:17 AM
quote:
Verily, Asha'man doth proclaim:
Clearly such a book is a threat to Christianty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heCUEtPIl2M

Steven Steve
posted 07-22-2007 10:35:26 AM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan had this to say about pies:
Is Asha'man gay

[ ] Yes
[ ] No

"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Hostile Makeover
Evil as chocolate covered thistles
posted 07-22-2007 01:50:21 PM
Cause lit geeks can't read Umberto Eco and James Joyce all the time, lest our brains explode with cross-referencing and our backs break with bags full of tomes.

It's an easy, fun read. Finished the last one in under 10 hours, and it seems to me she decided to draw a lot of inspiration from messianic stories and Holocaust sources for the majority of it. The whole something for everyone angle, because in the end? JK Rowling just wanted buckets of cash.
*shrug*

Maradon!
posted 07-22-2007 02:32:57 PM
quote:
Peanut butter ass Shaq Xyrra booooze lime pole over bench lick:
and it seems to me she decided to draw a lot of inspiration from messianic stories and Holocaust sources for the majority of it.

Greenlit
posted 07-22-2007 02:34:30 PM
quote:
Maradon! obviously shouldn't have said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hero%27s_Journey

Maradon!
posted 07-22-2007 02:36:51 PM
quote:
Greenliting:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hero%27s_Journey

Doesn't account for specific similarities

It's no mystery that if you generalize your definitions enough, eventually you'll encompass everything.

Greenlit
posted 07-22-2007 02:40:51 PM
quote:
Maradon! impressed everyone with:
Doesn't account for specific similarities

no actually monomyth does account for almost every major plot point in both

the image macro ignores a few things as well for generalization (notably the resolution of the relationships in both)

Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 07-26-2007 10:45:56 PM
Well said, Asha. Did you ever get the chance to go to a launch party? Borders Friday night had "artifacts" from Diagon and Alley and Knockturn Alley, a "feel the ingredients" section where you could "feel" things like bowtruckle droppings, and a spot where someone would mix you up your own special type of "potion" of magic powder. It was great fun. But without the small details she provides in making her world so real, none of that would be possible.

As for the books themselves, I like them because they're an engaging read. They have good characters who learn and grow, and a well-fleshed out world that gives the feeling of really being part of it, like Asha said. When I read them, I care about the characters. I had tears in my eyes when Sirius and Dumbledore died, having to set each respective book aside for a moment to take it in. And I got misty a few places in 7. I also cheered along with the good guys when things went right and was angry when they had things to be angry about.

And the subject matter matures along with the series. The first book is a book about an 11 year old coming to a new place and school, making new friends and enemies and even facing a little danger. But it's all on the scale of danger for an 11 year old. By 7, when Harry, Ron and Hermione are 17 and recognized as of age, their problems, both with Voldemort and personal issues, have progressed far past those of a mere 11 year old and they're confronted with some rather serious events.

Also, one of my favorite things about her writing style is the way she can just mention something in a previous book, such as Harry talking to the snake in the zoo, which becomes a major facet of another later book. You get a kind of "aha!" feeling when you realize that what you thought was an offhand piece of flavor text turns out to be incredibly important.

I've read all but 7 multiple times and I've never gotten bored through any re-read, even though I knew full well what the story was. When I finished 7, I had the same feeling as when I finished FFIX, Xenogears or Lunar: Silver Star Story. I was sorry it was over and I wanted more. I wasn't ready to leave that world yet, and it's saddening to think that there very well could be nothing else written about that world but what has been put out.

So I think the reason the books are so popular is that from the first, they provide a satisfying, fulfilling read that makes you greedy for more.

Lyinar Ka`Bael fucked around with this message on 07-26-2007 at 10:49 PM.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Ares
posted 07-27-2007 12:37:19 AM
Anything that gets kids reading AND causes them to actually enjoy it is a plus in my book... Whether or not it's a work of great fiction or not. I've never read the books myself, I don't even know why. I'd probably actually really enjoy them.

It reminds me of when Goosebumps came out in my generation. HUGE success, we loved those books and enjoyed reading them, even though they were pretty terrible.. Teachers and parents of course encouraged and promoted the books, anything to get us into reading.

leckzilla!
Squeak!
posted 07-27-2007 06:10:12 AM
I read the first Harry Potter book about ten years ago before the craze picked up. Now i'm not trying to sound like i'm OLD SKOOL or that I was a 12 year old genius but I didn't find it particuarly challenging. It was far too easy a read for me personally even at 12.

I read it before anyone else because a lot of British schools get their year 8s (12-13 year olds) to read a selection of books shortlisted for the Carnagie Medal and then vote for their favourite. HP didn't even win, which does back up the idea that there are some that only read it because it's popular.

Another thing I discussed with a friend who has read all the books is that she was mildly annoyed by The fact the story ends with "And they all had ginger BAYBEEEEZZ and lived happily ever after." with no mention of what anyone did with their careers etc. Which seems like a spectacuarly lazy way to end such en enormous story.

leckzilla! fucked around with this message on 07-27-2007 at 06:11 AM.

tFUCKING RETARD
Pancake
posted 07-27-2007 06:59:58 AM
This thread got boring pretty quickly since I've never really gotten into the series. Seen some movies, read one book, never cared much either way about it.\

That said, the popularity seems to be in the everyday details it encompasses, as others have said, along with the fact that everything from characters to writing style and vocabulary slowly mature as the series continues. The themes get darker and angstier as the characters and primary audience get into puberty and all that.

Basically, it's done in such a way that the target audience can relate and continue relating as everything involved grows parallel one another.

There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive.
Steven Steve
posted 07-27-2007 09:45:08 AM
Perhaps now people can become obsessed with Animorphs and name their children Jake, Cassie, Marco, Rachel, and Tobias
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."

tFUCKING RETARD
Pancake
posted 07-27-2007 09:55:10 AM
quote:
Stalwart Steve had this to say about Duck Tales:
Perhaps now people can become obsessed with Animorphs and name their children Jake, Cassie, Marco, Rachel, and Tobias

Which reminds me, I hate Laurell K Hamilton for what she created in the minds of weird teenage girls when I was in high school.
There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive.
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 07-27-2007 10:19:20 AM
The fuck is an Animorph?
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Steven Steve
posted 07-27-2007 10:56:18 AM
An Animorph is a member of a group of Earth children who have been endowed the the ability to morph into any animal that they've touched, sworn to protect the planet against Yerk invasion

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 07-27-2007 11:24:45 AM
I see.

The fuck is a Yerk?

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 07-27-2007 11:51:39 AM
It's like a Jerk, but with a 'Y'.
Manticore
Not Much Fun Anymore
posted 07-27-2007 12:21:14 PM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Maradon!:
picture suggesting that Harry Potter was ripped off of Star Wars

Even if it was, JKR made a good job of changing the Star Wars story so much that it appeared to be an entirely different story that the vast majority of readers would not be able to see a similarity between.

OBTW, in the first instance of "Uncle and Aunt" in the image, it is referring to the Dursleys; in the second, it is referring to the "Potters".

I'm not by any means an HP fanboi, but I just think it is a little ridiculous to suggest that JKR somehow plagiarized the plot of Star Wars, especially since the Star Wars plot wasn't particularly unique or new.

"France tried to turtle, but Hitler did a tank rush before they were ready. Just shows how horribly unbalanced real life is. They should release a patch."
Oreowned
My friends call me 'Wiggles'
posted 07-27-2007 12:31:33 PM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Stalwart Steve:

I named my dog Tobias for those goddamn books. True story.

Steven Steve
posted 07-27-2007 01:19:43 PM
Was he a nothlit trapped in dog form?

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 07-27-2007 01:28:38 PM
the fuck is

Beer.

Steven Steve
posted 07-27-2007 01:38:25 PM

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 07-27-2007 02:46:09 PM
That always bothered me about that mission. I also got really pissed off at that building you could just barely see on the other side of the lake behind the dam, but that you could never visit. Fuckers.

Beer.

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 07-27-2007 06:04:08 PM
quote:
Karnaj had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
That always bothered me about that mission. I also got really pissed off at that building you could just barely see on the other side of the lake behind the dam, but that you could never visit. Fuckers.

In an early version of the game, you used to be able to take a boat out there and get some random crap.

Lazzay
omg mack attack :(
posted 07-27-2007 10:29:28 PM
Animorphs was awesome.

An alien kinda-centaur Andalite prince gives these human kids the ability to morph into any kind of biological creature they touch before he dies so they can fight the Yeerks, an alien parasite race that latches onto people's brains. They are trying to conquer Earth in order to have enough host bodies to launch a final attack against the Andalites.

Lazzay fucked around with this message on 07-27-2007 at 10:29 PM.

one two three fo let me see that tootsie roll
Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 07-28-2007 02:37:55 AM
quote:
leckzilla! had this to say about Knight Rider:
I read the first Harry Potter book about ten years ago before the craze picked up. Now i'm not trying to sound like i'm OLD SKOOL or that I was a 12 year old genius but I didn't find it particuarly challenging. It was far too easy a read for me personally even at 12.

I read it before anyone else because a lot of British schools get their year 8s (12-13 year olds) to read a selection of books shortlisted for the Carnagie Medal and then vote for their favourite. HP didn't even win, which does back up the idea that there are some that only read it because it's popular.

Another thing I discussed with a friend who has read all the books is that she was mildly annoyed by The fact the story ends with "And they all had ginger BAYBEEEEZZ and lived happily ever after." with no mention of what anyone did with their careers etc. Which seems like a spectacuarly lazy way to end such en enormous story.

Actually she's commented on that. Her original ending was detailed it even had all the names of all children that were born to the Weasley clan in those 19 years, but she felt it was like she was trying to cram too much in. So she changed it to a more poetic, sentimental ending. She's been quoted as saying that an encyclopedia of all things Harry Potter may be a potential item in the future, once she's had time for a good break. Apparently Dean has a very interesting backstory, which there wasn't really time to fit into the series. I was a bit disappointed in the ending myself until I read that news story

I also encountered HP before it became the huge sensation it was. My book club had a little blurb about it, sounded interesting, read it and I was hooked and looking for more. I can't remember how long after that that it exploded onto the scene here. I never imagined when I first read it that it would make the splash it did, even though I found it delightful. But I'm glad it did.

Lyinar Ka`Bael fucked around with this message on 07-28-2007 at 03:04 AM.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

leckzilla!
Squeak!
posted 07-28-2007 08:49:28 AM
Nah, that's missing the point. Fair enough if she wants to venture sideways and go into other stories but what i'm saying is from what I gather the ending's just plain, inexcusably lazy. All she talks about is one character being "the brightest witch ever" but nothing more is said because apparently she's too busy popping out ginglings. If she actually wrote more about interesting stuff and less about an irrelevant family that appears at the end it'd have been better. If she wanted to write about the offspring of the characters theres oppurtunities for books there but tying the ending of the characters that have been the basis for this huge great big world she's created would have been more of a priority surely?

I'm not saying she shouldn't have written about families and so on but it seemed like it was the focal point.

Vorago
A completely different kind of Buckethead
posted 07-28-2007 01:26:56 PM
quote:
Vallo said this about your mom:
Which reminds me, I hate Laurell K Hamilton for what she created in the minds of weird teenage girls when I was in high school.

I hate her for completely and spectacularly fucking up and over the anita blake novels after Obsidian Butterfly. Seriously, it is downright EPIC what she did to that damn series. And then continuing it further and further into realms of previously unexplored crap.

I made it two novels past Obsidian then just threw them both out and swore off the series forever

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: