EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Sooo, I bought WoW
Toktuk
Pooh Ogre
Keeper of the Shoulders of Peachis Perching
posted 05-27-2007 12:49:24 AM
I'm committed for at least 6 months. Anyway, since I'm a complete newb to this and whatnot, I had a few questions for some of the WoW faithful around here.

1. Predictably, I have rolled an Orc Warrior. From what I've read, focusing on a combination of Arms and Fury in my specs is ideal if you intend to do mostly solo and small group stuff. Any suggestions about particular skills I should focus on?

2. Seems like getting a 3rd party UI is going to be a requirement. What are some of the better ones?

3. Anything else I should keep in mind?

-H

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 05-27-2007 12:52:47 AM
I was thinking about reactivating so if Sean would post his UI configuration that would be great :3
Damnati
Filthy
posted 05-27-2007 01:31:27 AM
Ace2 mods are a must as they usually don't break after patches; I use them almost exclusively. Specific recommendations include Bartender, FuBar, SimpleMinimap, and AG Unit Frames. Also, if you go here you can get a program that will update all your Ace mods with a few clicks rather than painful individual downloading. Other good mods to use are CTViewport, Drathal's HUD, and Monkey Quest.

Edit: I like it like this:

Party frames go down in the right hand corner and I don't have target or player frames; I use the HUD instead as it covers Player, Target, and Pet frames in semi-transparent bars around the character.

Damnati fucked around with this message on 05-27-2007 at 01:39 AM.

Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Maradon!
posted 05-27-2007 02:32:35 AM
quote:
Over the mountain, in between the ups and downs, I ran into Hellbender who doth quote:
1. Predictably, I have rolled an Orc Warrior. From what I've read, focusing on a combination of Arms and Fury in my specs is ideal if you intend to do mostly solo and small group stuff. Any suggestions about particular skills I should focus on?

It's like this

everybody says fury is best for PVE, but that is not my experience. I can only assume that the people saying this have very good one handers. I don't, so I level arms. Really it's up to you.

People WILL expect you to have some kind of tanking ability. Once you hit 60 or so you have the choice of taking arms/prot or fury/prot but if you take arms/fury you're basically locked out of any productive instance group. Yeah, sure, if you have a bunch of close friends who know everything about the instance and are geared up perfectly and are actually skilled, you can tank even heroics arms/fury. This never happens, though, so you're stuck taking prot up to at LEAST 3/3 defiance. Odds are good you'll want tactical mastery anyway.

quote:
2. Seems like getting a 3rd party UI is going to be a requirement. What are some of the better ones?

I have several raiding guildies who have sworn them off entirely and use the default UI. I'm not among them but I'm probably the wrong guy to ask anyway.

quote:
3. Anything else I should keep in mind?

Horde is like sparta, alliance is like persia.

Play on doomhammer.

Dr. Gee
Say it Loud, Say it Plowed!
posted 05-27-2007 03:29:26 AM
Avoid PvP servers till you get a feel for the game unless you want some serious pain. I'm not sure how it is on most, but on Auchindoun the amount of corpse camping by 70s is massive. That might be due to it being a reccomended server and there not being any backup though.
Led
*kaboom*
posted 05-27-2007 07:20:00 AM
Play on a PvP server. If you roll on a carebear server, every time you see some gnome running by that you cannot smash, you will die a little more inside.

Fury is best for leveling, as enrage/flurry is a great boon to your PvE DPS, and it has other skills that boost your damage output in roundabout ways. Arms is really all about mortal strike.

The current warrior build most people are using is 31 arms 30 fury, as to stack mortal strike and deathwish.

I am 31 fury 30 arms though, so I can dual weild swords and get swordspec, and I have a shammy following me around too xD I am like a blender! Chop chop chop.

Toktuk
Pooh Ogre
posted 05-27-2007 08:06:55 AM
quote:
A sleep deprived Maradon! stammered:
It's like this

everybody says fury is best for PVE, but that is not my experience. I can only assume that the people saying this have very good one handers. I don't, so I level arms. Really it's up to you.

People WILL expect you to have some kind of tanking ability. Once you hit 60 or so you have the choice of taking arms/prot or fury/prot but if you take arms/fury you're basically locked out of any productive instance group. Yeah, sure, if you have a bunch of close friends who know everything about the instance and are geared up perfectly and are actually skilled, you can tank even heroics arms/fury. This never happens, though, so you're stuck taking prot up to at LEAST 3/3 defiance. Odds are good you'll want tactical mastery anyway.

I'll probably look at focusing on prot more, then. A co-worker advised me to stick with arms/fury up until 40 or so just so I could get some fast levels, but I'm not in a hurry to get anywhere. I'm just looking for something to do during the little free time I have during the week. I'll poke around and see if I can find some templates that look decent to me.

quote:
Play on doomhammer.

I might, but I kind of like the fact that I don't know anyone on Hellscream. Having a special needs child means my schedule is never consistent and I have to cut and run really fast if something comes up. I hate feeling like I'm always walking out on groups / raids I'm in with friends. It's why I haven't played an MMO in almost two years. I'm totally OK with screwing PUG's over, though.

-H

Led
*kaboom*
posted 05-27-2007 10:01:13 AM
I hate to rain on your parade But prot spec seriously is not necessary until you start tanking heroic instances, and before that it will only slow you down. The defense gained by the spec does not outweigh the damage lost.
Zaeron
Pancake
posted 05-27-2007 10:07:05 AM
If you play prot before 60, you're just plain being dumb. There's absolutely no reason to be prot at ALL before 60 now, except maybe enough to get tactical mastery.

Fury is the best leveling spec, and you can tank decently with it as long as you know what you're doing, and you can learn the basics in the first couple instances. Fury works best with two extremely fast one handers - daggers are worth considering. The faster, the better.

Arms is all about heavy, slow hitting two handers. 3.8 speed or slower is best. This is less important than it used to be, since attack speed for instant attacks is normalized, but it still makes a significant difference.

Protection completely gimps you outside of instances. A protection warrior cannot pvp at all (solo, anyway), and can barely do any pve without backup.

PVP servers are the most fun, and arms is the best pvp spec, generally. If you level as fury, you'll struggle a bit more in PVP as you go, but now that tactical mastery isn't in arms, it's a little easier to go Fury. When I leveled my warrior, tactical mastery was in arms so it was practically required to go that deep into arms before doing anything else.

Once you hit level 60 or so, you might consider respecing to at least 15 points in protection, but that's only if you instance a lot. A full protection build locks you out of solo pretty much completely.

And finally - anybody who says 'it doesn't matter what you spec, it's just a game!' probably plays on a PVE server.

Toktuk
Pooh Ogre
posted 05-27-2007 11:21:47 AM
Any suggestions for Fury templates, then? I've been looking at the ones on WoWWiki. I don't have Burning Crusade yet, I'll probably pick it up once I get higher.

-H

Manticore
Not Much Fun Anymore
posted 05-27-2007 12:38:39 PM
Honestly, there is nothing wrong with going fury and massing crit with a 2h weapon. Having like 30% crit (which isn't hard in zerk), you'll constantly have flurry up.
"France tried to turtle, but Hitler did a tank rush before they were ready. Just shows how horribly unbalanced real life is. They should release a patch."
Maradon!
posted 05-27-2007 02:12:24 PM
There are three rules on a PVP server:

1) If it's a fair fight, run away.
2) If it's your gank, sit back and relax.
3) If it's their gank, sit back and die.

and it doesn't take a damn bit of skill for any of them

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 05-27-2007 03:02:43 PM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when Maradon! said:

or overtake them and cause their gank to fail

edit: or come back later and be a dick to them for an hour, preferably with help

Kegwen fucked around with this message on 05-27-2007 at 03:03 PM.

Vorago
A completely different kind of Buckethead
posted 05-27-2007 03:23:29 PM
I played a warlock on a pvp server for about a month...

One time I was running along and some lower alliance priest (Green con to me) saw me, stopped, looked around and then ran behind a tree... all in plain sight to me. It was so sad to watch, I ended up feeling so bad for the poor guy I didn't bother thumping him

Led
*kaboom*
posted 05-27-2007 04:06:25 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about John Romero:

Or, better yet, you fucking attack everything you come across, even ?? level players.

Be surprised how much you win

Greenlit
posted 05-27-2007 04:13:24 PM
Many are rather retarded, this is true.

And then there's class balance issues, leading to my 20-something Hunter kiting 40+ Mages, Priests and Warlocks to death.

Vorago
A completely different kind of Buckethead
posted 05-27-2007 04:15:32 PM
quote:
Greenlit had this to say about dark elf butts:
Many are rather retarded, this is true.

And then there's class balance issues, leading to my 20-something Hunter kiting 40+ Mages, Priests and Warlocks to death.

Those are some impressively bad warlocks then O_o

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 05-27-2007 04:20:13 PM
We have this thread every fucking week, is it that hard to search the, what, 5 pages of threads we've had in the past month or two and find one?
Greenlit
posted 05-27-2007 04:20:39 PM
At the time most Warlocks were demonology, it was never any great feat to kill one.
Cherveny
Papaya
posted 05-27-2007 04:29:41 PM
Personally, I've always liked the RP-PvP servers. It's the fun of PvP, but with, usually, a more mature acting playerbase (not everyone will be more mature, but there seem to be far fewer idiots from my experience on both types of servers.)
Maradon!
posted 05-27-2007 05:13:31 PM
quote:
Over the mountain, in between the ups and downs, I ran into Kegwen who doth quote:
or overtake them and cause their gank to fail

If that's even remotely possible then it isn't a gank, and you should be running away in accordance with rule 1. But if you're on a PVP server, it's usually a gank.

quote:
edit: or come back later and be a dick to them for an hour, preferably with help

That would be rule 2.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 05-27-2007 at 05:14 PM.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 05-27-2007 05:23:04 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Knight Rider:
Horde is like sparta, alliance is like persia.

This is actually quite true in many ways.

Overall, an organized Horde team will always defeat an organized Alliance team. A Horde PuG will always defeat an Alliance PuG. When you're in a good, big guild, being Horde is great. You can breeze through instances, dominate PvP, get tons of great gear...

...likewise, when you're out of a guild, it can suck a lot. PuGs are next to impossible thanks to low populations across the board. Guilds tend to get very territorial, as well, and egos play a big deal in the Horde.

The Alliance is, on the whole, more easygoing and laid-back. It tends to be easier to get stuff done, even if it takes a few tries, and you can usually find more people to help you out.

Everyone predicted that the Blood Elves would ruin the Horde and, to a point, it's true. However, as opposed to Blood Elves being the problem, the national IQ for the rest of the Horde went down collectively.

So, play what you want to play. The Horde would dominate like the Spartans of 300...if there were collision detection in PvP.

Toktuk
Pooh Ogre
posted 05-27-2007 07:03:28 PM
quote:
Mr. Gainsborough had this to say about pies:
We have this thread every fucking week, is it that hard to search the, what, 5 pages of threads we've had in the past month or two and find one?

You're right, I just went back and found a Warrior spec thread by Maradon around the beginning of April that had some decent info in it. I think you should be able to move on with your life after having to waste time on my little thread, though.

Anyway, I've got some good info that's got me pointed in the right direction. At least I can respec if I'm not happy with my template.

-H

Led
*kaboom*
posted 05-27-2007 07:53:43 PM
If you have any questions, feel free to shoot me a PM.

So far I have leveled three warriors 60+, and many more to 30+ *sigh*

I see the endgame raiding stuff and I run the other way! I do not think I have raided anything in any game ever.

Maradon!
posted 05-27-2007 08:05:10 PM
quote:
Over the mountain, in between the ups and downs, I ran into Led who doth quote:
I see the endgame raiding stuff and I run the other way! I do not think I have raided anything in any game ever.

25 man raids are about a billion times more fun than 40 man raids ever were.

Led
*kaboom*
posted 05-27-2007 08:12:16 PM
How bad were those?

I just realized I have been playing since about six months after the release of the game, and have never had a max leveled character.

That, and I completely missed out on all the good times warriors had. I have yet to even touch an arcanite reaper xD Oh wells.

Wonder how the game is going to be in a year and a half

Maradon!
posted 05-27-2007 08:19:39 PM
quote:
Leding:
How bad were those?

I just realized I have been playing since about six months after the release of the game, and have never had a max leveled character.

40 man raids weren't bad, but they were very much a slow experience, and you felt pretty disconnected from the fights. The part you played individually was pretty small (unless you were MT...). You'd sit back and nuke or stab, and watch the mob's HP bar move by a fraction of a percent.

In a 25 man raid, it's much more active. You nuke, and nightbane feels it. You stand in an ash pit too long and you can knock the whole healing chain out of balance or, worse, die and hurt your raid's DPS significantly. All in all, you're at the controls and concentrating a great deal more.

I'd say 70% of the game's fun is had in raids, 20% in PVP. Especially post-BC.

Led
*kaboom*
posted 05-27-2007 08:37:01 PM
... seriously?

Even considering how much I love to smash face.

70% fun in raids? Jeeze what have I been missing out on And will be, too. All this content is going to be obsolete when I get back >.<

Maradon!
posted 05-27-2007 08:54:40 PM
quote:
Peanut butter ass Shaq Led booooze lime pole over bench lick:
... seriously?

Even considering how much I love to smash face.

70% fun in raids? Jeeze what have I been missing out on And will be, too. All this content is going to be obsolete when I get back >.<

I don't know about obsolete. There's still people in MC and even naxx. Up and coming raiding guilds use it as a training ground since it's structured like a major raid but easy for a bunch of 70's to do.

But yeah, you've really only experienced a small amount of the game by the time you hit 70.

Maradon!
posted 05-27-2007 09:37:57 PM
What I'm hoping for is heroic versions of MC, Naxx, AQ40, and maybe even ZG and AQ20.

I mean, it seems obvious; new content without all the work, with new events to keep the old story lines relevant.

The heroic versions could even have quest drops to upgrade the legendaries like people have been asking for.

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 05-27-2007 11:01:50 PM
quote:
A sleep deprived Maradon! stammered:
40 man raids weren't bad, but they were very much a slow experience, and you felt pretty disconnected from the fights. The part you played individually was pretty small (unless you were MT...). You'd sit back and nuke or stab, and watch the mob's HP bar move by a fraction of a percent.

In a 25 man raid, it's much more active. You nuke, and nightbane feels it. You stand in an ash pit too long and you can knock the whole healing chain out of balance or, worse, die and hurt your raid's DPS significantly. All in all, you're at the controls and concentrating a great deal more.

I'd say 70% of the game's fun is had in raids, 20% in PVP. Especially post-BC.

Nightbane's in a 10-man UBRS style raid.

FAIL!

(I actually agree with you though, I just wanted to nitpick)

Maradon!
posted 05-28-2007 01:43:41 AM
quote:
Delphi Aegising:
Nightbane's in a 10-man UBRS style raid.

FAIL!

(I actually agree with you though, I just wanted to nitpick)

I never said nightbane was in a 25 man raid.

Willias
Pancake
posted 05-28-2007 10:42:25 AM
But it certainly reads that way.
Blackened
posted 05-28-2007 12:16:36 PM
Look to me like Maradon was trying to pass off Nightbane as a 25 man as well.

WAY TO LIE MARADON

Although my distaste for you as a human being is brobdingnagian,
what I'm about to do isn't personal.
Maradon!
posted 05-28-2007 03:42:56 PM
yeah, I just phrased that really, really badly and put two mostly unrelated ideas next to eachother.
Tier
posted 05-28-2007 04:53:32 PM
Disregard the Protection naysayers -- it's a good tree to have no matter what. It's not a must for tanking, but it does help. Still, I wouldn't touch it before 40-50ish anyhow.

Try this. It mostly shines at high levels, but it's great.

Oh and I've been looking for a unit frame mod that's a bit more aesthetic than ag unit frames. I kind of like Blizzard's original ones, but I need to be able to move and customize them more. Being a part of Ace is a definite plus.

Asha'man fucked around with this message on 05-28-2007 at 04:55 PM.

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 05-29-2007 07:55:24 PM
quote:
What is a Asha'man? A miserable little pile of secrets! But enough talk... Have at you!
Disregard the Protection naysayers -- it's a good tree to have no matter what. It's not a must for tanking, but it does help. Still, I wouldn't touch it before 40-50ish anyhow.

Try this. It mostly shines at high levels, but it's great.

Oh and I've been looking for a unit frame mod that's a bit more aesthetic than ag unit frames. I kind of like Blizzard's original ones, but I need to be able to move and customize them more. Being a part of Ace is a definite plus.

Although it's kinda bulky, I've fallen in love with Perl. The windows are, of course, scalable.
I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Tier
posted 05-30-2007 03:36:31 AM
Did protection warriors get buffed besides the revenge damage boost? Cause I'm killing mobs super fine when I couldn't do shit before.
Maradon!
posted 05-30-2007 03:58:06 AM
quote:
Asha'maning:
Did protection warriors get buffed besides the revenge damage boost? Cause I'm killing mobs super fine when I couldn't do shit before.

check your attack power?

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 05-30-2007 08:35:19 AM
Pitbull is the one, true unit frames.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: