EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: I just walked out of Spider-Man 3.
Greenlit
posted 05-04-2007 03:12:19 AM
You should wait for Peter Jackson to release the extended edition DVD.
Blackened
posted 05-04-2007 03:26:33 AM
The movie was too much. Too much plot, too many characters, too much writing, too much angst.

Sean and I basically rewrote the movie on the car ride home. What it came down to was a lot of characters and their relationships with each other getting completely cut out. Sandman is the first that comes to mind; he could have been completely forgotten.

Sam Raimi seemed to be in a rush to get as much information and resolution packed into one movie as possible. Which I can understand, evidently there's a lot of cast and crew not interested in doing anymore Spider-Man movies. [Citation Needed] Unfortunately, this means Sam had the task of wrapping up the plot lines of Ben Parker's death (re-opened for the sake of Sandman's character), Brock's rivalry with Pete, Harry's hatred of Pete because of his father, and the major love story between Mary Jane and Parker.

I'll type out a minor synapses of how I think the movie could have been done better (Dare I say, perfectly?) if anyone wants.

2.5/5

Although my distaste for you as a human being is brobdingnagian,
what I'm about to do isn't personal.
Azymyth
Not gay; just weird
posted 05-04-2007 03:53:43 AM
I agree that it honestly could have gone better.

Suddenly bringing in both Eddie Brock and Venom was still a bad idea in my book. I can understand the need for a second villain to bring Peter and Harry back together at the end but they could have chosen countless others that would have worked better.

I suffer from CRS: Can't Remember Shit.

Sig pic done by the very talented SJen!

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 05-04-2007 03:54:32 AM
90% of this movie was laughably bad (and I do mean laughably).

The other 10% of it was action scenes that we've already seen in other movies.

Fucking fail.

On a side note, every time I saw Sandman's human form I couldn't help but think "RIP AND TEAR! RIP AND TEAR!"

Mr. Gainsborough fucked around with this message on 05-04-2007 at 03:55 AM.

Alaan
posted 05-04-2007 03:55:48 AM
Someone should have told me I was going to the number one comedy of the year.
Y.O.T.C
No longer a Towel Girl
posted 05-04-2007 04:01:02 AM
HOW THE FUCK DID YOU POST THAT THAT FAST GAINS!

You just left my house like 5 fucking minutes ago!

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 05-04-2007 04:01:57 AM
My nerd rage compelled me to bitch about it on the internet.
Blackened
posted 05-04-2007 04:32:52 AM
quote:
Mr. Gainsborough.
90% of this movie was laughably bad (and I do mean laughably).
Though I didn't like the movie, I disagree with this point. If you think about the majority of the movie's scenes, you'll realize they were actually pretty well done. I firmly believe that underneath the mountain of plots this movie was buried in, there's a much better movie just waiting to be unlocked.
quote:
The other 10% of it was action scenes that we've already seen in other movies.
This, however, I agree with fully. And that other movie is called, "Spider-Man 2." It's like the minds behind SM3 just couldn't let go of the pure awesome that were the Doc Ock/Spider-Man fights. It's too bad they ended up just repeating the same thing over again.

The only exception being the first fight of the movie, with Harry. Sean pointed out to me how that was easily the best action scene in the movie, and I agreed.

Hayato
Pancake
posted 05-04-2007 04:45:36 AM
I really want my three hours of sleep back.
Mr. Gainsborough
posted 05-04-2007 07:36:41 AM
quote:
Blackened Model 2000 was programmed to say:
Though I didn't like the movie, I disagree with this point. If you think about the majority of the movie's scenes, you'll realize they were actually pretty well done. I firmly believe that underneath the mountain of plots this movie was buried in, there's a much better movie just waiting to be unlocked.

I dunno. I agree that everything was really well done, because obviously it had to be. With a budget like that how could it not? But it just seemed like whenever there wasn't action going on, it was like you said too much plot, or horrible, horrible cheese flowing out of every orifice.

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 05-04-2007 08:21:23 AM
IMHO, you could cut everything except the action and wouldn't miss much.
~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
nem-x
posted 05-04-2007 08:44:53 AM
Steven Steve
posted 05-04-2007 09:35:26 AM

I'm gonna go see it tonight in IMAX; no I'm not paying, not even for gas. I rather hated Spider-Man 2 and I suspect I'll hate this one too.

"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Suddar
posted 05-04-2007 11:05:17 AM
Well jeez, I thought the movie was really good. Sandman was forgettable and the Venom plotline was rushed, but it was still fun to watch.
Vorago
A completely different kind of Buckethead
posted 05-04-2007 06:27:00 PM
There are spoilers here but considering the nature of the thread title that really should be expected...

1) OK, seriously, that was how the fight against Sandman ended?
"Oh look, a giant resevoir of water... I'll just shoot him with a couple missiles and he'll fall over and not get up instead!"
I kept waiting for him to come back... and waiting... then he shows up, goes, "I didn't mean for this to happen... you know... shooting your uncle... or the dozens of cops I've killed or seriously injured this week... see ya"

2) I'm not sure if Spiderman running in front of the gigantic, fluttering american flag was cheesy bad... or if it was so cheesy it looped back around into entertaining.

3) Dyeing Bryce Dallas Howard's natural red hair is a crime against the god damn human race. Not to say she isn't hotness... but still... redheads... UNF!

4) I found Peter's transformation to sort of evil more funny than anything (Wait a second... I can wear my bangs DOWN!) and that dance scene was WAY too over the top.

5) Venom's mouth glaringly didn't work, one minute it is 2 feet wide, then the symbiote peels back like a layer of skin and it is normal again, folds back over... half the size of his head again! His death just seemed rushed, especially the super special total disintigration grenade Harry just happened to have capable of vapourizing a human body in seconds. Guess it was a good thing he didn't throw one of THOSE at Peter eh? <_<

All in all, it wasn't terrible, I've seen far worse (Oh god Ultraviolet my fucking brain) but I rank this very much below the first two movies.

Seems to me it would have worked better to have kept it to the Sandman and Harry as Peter struggles with the suit and ending it with Peter tearing off the symbiote and it then finding Brock. Didn't even really need Gwen either (She was mostly just a throwaway in this movie anyways), could have easily used more of Harry's manipulations and the black suit's effects to get in the way of him and MJ and been able to better focus things.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 05-04-2007 09:43:12 PM
quote:
Suddar impressed everyone with:
Well jeez, I thought the movie was really good. Sandman was forgettable and the Venom plotline was rushed, but it was still fun to watch.

Yeah. This.

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 05-04-2007 10:59:50 PM
quote:

2) I'm not sure if Spiderman running in front of the gigantic, fluttering american flag was cheesy bad... or if it was so cheesy it looped back around into entertaining.[/QB]

Yeah, the audienace here actually groaned at that scene. Go Spidey, FOR FREEDOM!

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Naimah
In a Fire
posted 05-05-2007 02:52:05 AM
I don't know if it was just the expectations of it bad that had to have been one of the worst movies I've seen in a long while.

The exposition was boring. The emo rage parker was pretty much unbearable, I had to convince myself not to leave during the whole I'm bad montage. Why the hell was Venom in the movie? Sandman was barely in the movie. Having character development after you no longer care about the character doesn't work to well. And since when can Sandman, who hates water, cry. If your going to have a graveyard monologue have that end the movie. When you cut from that to a scene that has no dialog it's pretty much a shitty way to end a movie.

Boring, terrible movie that doesn't deserve the $80+ mil that it is going to make.

Aaron (the good one)
posted 05-05-2007 11:43:22 AM
Better than 1 and 2 combined.

Is what I'm gonna say.

Galbadia Hotel - Video Game Music
I am Canadian and I hate The Tragically Hip
Steven Steve
posted 05-05-2007 03:29:51 PM
Would you like a piece of chocolate cake?

And a glass of milk?

"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."

Lechium
With no one to ever know
posted 05-05-2007 11:38:42 PM
quote:
Stalwart Steve obviously shouldn't have said:
Would you like a piece of chocolate cake?

And a glass of milk?

That scene was so painful to watch. Fucking Tobey Maguire and unimportant blond girl.

"The MP checkpoint is not an Imperial Stormtrooper roadblock, so I should not tell them "You don't need to see my identification, these are not the droids you are looking for."
Reynar
Oldest Member
Best Lap
posted 05-06-2007 12:35:57 AM
quote:
Nobody really understood why Naimah wrote:
I don't know if it was just the expectations of it bad that had to have been one of the worst movies I've seen in a long while.

The exposition was boring. The emo rage parker was pretty much unbearable, I had to convince myself not to leave during the whole I'm bad montage. Why the hell was Venom in the movie? Sandman was barely in the movie. Having character development after you no longer care about the character doesn't work to well. And since when can Sandman, who hates water, cry. If your going to have a graveyard monologue have that end the movie. When you cut from that to a scene that has no dialog it's pretty much a shitty way to end a movie.

Boring, terrible movie that doesn't deserve the $80+ mil that it is going to make.

I enjoyed the movie

"Give me control of a nation's money, and I care not who makes its laws."
-Mayer Rothschild
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 05-06-2007 11:03:43 AM
I spent the time fencing tongues with my gf.

So it was a good movie. Whatever it was about.

Steven Steve
posted 05-06-2007 03:03:06 PM
quote:
Lechium had this to say about John Romero:
That scene was so painful to watch. Fucking Tobey Maguire and unimportant blond girl.

Yeah... I'd like that.

Alaan
posted 05-06-2007 04:12:37 PM
quote:
Mortious had this to say about Pirotess:

The appeal of making out in movie theaters is greatly exaggerated. Those seats aren't designed for it!

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 05-06-2007 07:54:56 PM
quote:
Alaan got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
The appeal of making out in movie theaters is greatly exaggerated. Those seats aren't designed for it!

A lot of theatres nowadays have seats with armrests that go up into the back of the seat.

Newer ones, at any rate. And Prolly IMAX's.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 05-06-2007 10:08:42 PM
quote:
Mortious attempted to be funny by writing:

My GIRLFRIEND.

Steven Steve
posted 05-07-2007 12:23:51 AM
"Move, BITCH! Get out the way, get out the way!" - Mortious

Azymyth
Not gay; just weird
posted 05-07-2007 04:22:20 AM
quote:
Lechium's fortune cookie read:

Unimportant but cute and doesn't talk much.

I suffer from CRS: Can't Remember Shit.

Sig pic done by the very talented SJen!

Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 05-07-2007 09:48:43 AM
Finally got around to seeing this last night and almost walked out as well... but as I've never actually walked out of a movie, I didn't want to ruin my record. The only other movie I was tempted to walk out of was The Order.

The movie had waaaaay too many 'emotional' scenes. The theater actually burst out laughing when Peter and MJ were on the bridge. It seriously stuns me how they managed to get away with such poor acting all around. Ugh.

I was sitting there towards the end thinking "We should go now, before Spidey cries again."

Things the movie didn't need:
1. MJ Singing. Anywhere.
2. "Dark" Parker.
3. "Dark" Parker shootin the guns at everyone he walked past.
4. "Dark" Parker turning into some kind of Disco Fever reject.
5. Venom showing his Topher Face every other minute.
6. Sandman getting to cause millions of dollars of property damage and civilian injury throughout the movie, but he can escape because Spidey forgives him for his uncle.

I leaned over to my girl about 3/4th through the movie and said something to the effect that if they hurried, they could probably get a few more emotional scenes into the movie. And damned if they didn't.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 05-07-2007 09:55:02 AM
quote:
Bajah said:
5. Venom showing his Topher Face every other minute.

That got on my nerves too.

It was for the stupid people, to remind them who he was. Just like Goblin Junior taking his protective mask off every other minute. It's a protective mask.. you're in a fight.. KEEP IT THE FUCK ON.

Blackened
posted 05-07-2007 11:02:35 AM
I was also bothered by the mask removal in all of the Spider-Man movies. However, if you actually give this a moment's thought, you'll realize how quickly scenes will turn to shit when you can't make out people's facial features when they emote.

It was a bit over the top for Spider-Man 3 though. A few scenes could have suffered through keeping the masks on a bit longer.

quote:
Mortious.
It was for the stupid people, to remind them who he was. Just like Goblin Junior taking his protective mask off every other minute. It's a protective mask.. you're in a fight.. KEEP IT THE FUCK ON.
that's stupid, you're stupid

Steven Steve
posted 05-07-2007 11:45:54 AM
*removes mask, revealing Glenn Hughes of the Village People*

LeMiere
posted 05-07-2007 01:44:05 PM
It gave me an Advent Children vibe.

Not in a good way. The heavy-on-action, over-the-top-emo, and skimpy-on-motivation elements lead me to draw that connection. Not to mention that ali-oop scene in the final fight.
But I enjoyed it. I even liked 'dark Parker' pelvic thrusting at every lady that walked by. It was bad, but fun to laugh at with my girlfriend.

I enjoyed both Advent Children and Spiderman 3. They just suffered from the lack of ambition in story telling. I'm sure there are other films before, and will be more after.

Then I watched some of the Spiderman cartoon last night- the episodes where Brock inherits the suit from Peter. And wow, how this movie followed that pretty close.
This made me realize how cartoony the movie felt.

There was a camp factor here. An overwhelming, angsty camp factor. Thank heavens Bruce Campbell made it appropriate for five minutes.

LeMiere fucked around with this message on 05-07-2007 at 01:48 PM.

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 05-07-2007 04:56:32 PM
My fiancee and I had a long conversation about this on the way home. We came to the conclusion that if you removed the entire sandman plot, you would have no reason for parker to fall victim to his character flaw, which is his overwhelming desire for vengeance, and then you're left with no real character development.

While I agree that it was too long, I don't see any way of simplifying the plot without destroying it.

Greenlit
posted 05-07-2007 05:07:50 PM
quote:
Blindy. stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:
My fiancee and I had a long conversation about this on the way home. We came to the conclusion that if you removed the entire sandman plot, you would have no reason for parker to fall victim to his character flaw, which is his overwhelming desire for vengeance, and then you're left with no real character development.

Not quite.

Had Sandman been removed, much more time could have been given to Harry and Brock. All that would have been needed to bring out Parker's wrath and vengeance was Brock. If he had muscled in, taking over Peter's job and his girl (because that would have been required, thanks female fanbase) then you could have set up - in my opinion - an even more realistic scenario for Peter to fall in love with the symbiote. He could use it to get the one-up on Brock, cause the accidental death of Gwen Stacy - who fucking needed to die - and then you're right back at Spidey hating the suit and Brock hating Spidey/Peter.

Sandman shooting Ben was shoehorned in because a writer fucking failed at writing. The symbiote could have been written in so many better ways.

Greenlit fucked around with this message on 05-07-2007 at 05:10 PM.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 05-07-2007 06:25:32 PM
quote:
Blackened said:
However, if you actually give this a moment's thought, you'll realize how quickly scenes will turn to shit when you can't make out people's facial features when they emote.

Little Goblin's mask only covered his mouth and cheeks, from what I saw, unless I missed something. I was watching it at an angle (god damn packed Saturday night cinema) so I could have missed it. There are a full range of emotions that can be expressed with the eyes alone and they are often more of an impact than full-face expressions. As long as it's a decent actor.

Venom was CGI so he wasn't really a "mask" in the sense of an immovable emotionless barrier. Putting masks on and off every five seconds just got silly.

Unsure why you called me stupid though since you basically agreed with me. Unless you mistook my sarcasm for seriousness.

Blindy.
posted 05-07-2007 06:59:25 PM
quote:
Greenlit needs to learn to type:
Not quite.

Had Sandman been removed, much more time could have been given to Harry and Brock. All that would have been needed to bring out Parker's wrath and vengeance was Brock. If he had muscled in, taking over Peter's job and his girl (because that would have been required, thanks female fanbase) then you could have set up - in my opinion - an even more realistic scenario for Peter to fall in love with the symbiote. He could use it to get the one-up on Brock, cause the accidental death of Gwen Stacy - who fucking needed to die - and then you're right back at Spidey hating the suit and Brock hating Spidey/Peter.

Sandman shooting Ben was shoehorned in because a writer fucking failed at writing. The symbiote could have been written in so many better ways.

I don't know- Brock being able to move in on MJ that quickly would have completely destroyed any likability she had as a character, and how exactly would Peter need the suit to "one up him"?

The story needed a super bad-guy for whom Peter had great wraith and furious anger to get his addiction to vengeance started. Harry wouldn't work because Peter still wanted to be friends with him. Brock isn't a super villain until he gets the suit.

Although I suppose we could have seen Harry get MJ to break up with him and then say that he's the other man or whatever, but I still think that until Peter got a taste of vengeance he would have been like "Oh. ok. She'll be happier with him."

Greenlit
posted 05-07-2007 07:02:07 PM
quote:
Blindy. had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
any likability she had as a character

You had me until right here.

Blindy.
posted 05-07-2007 07:11:30 PM
quote:
At least Greenlit isn't Somthor:
You had me until right here.