EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: I just walked out of Spider-Man 3.
Inferno-Spirit
Sports Advocate
posted 05-07-2007 07:12:22 PM
quote:
Blindy. had this to say about Tron:
I've got a soft spot for red-heads.

Kirsten Dunst is a dirty cunt.

"He lets the last Hungarian go, and he goes running. He waits until his wife and kids are in the ground and he goes after the rest of the mob. He kills their kids, he kills their wives, he kills their parents and their parents' friends. He burns down the houses they grew up in and the stores they work in, he kills people that owe them money. And like that he was gone. Underground. No one has ever seen him again. He becomes a myth, a spook story that criminals tell their kids at night. 'If you rat on your pop, Keyser Soze will get you.' And nobody really ever believes." - Roger 'Verbal' Kint, The Usual Suspects
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 05-07-2007 07:33:26 PM
The three "villains" of the movie represented three darker reflections of Peter, in such ways that they couldn't have been done by other people.

1. Harry
Harry represented what the loss of a father figure could do. Any time Uncle Ben's killer has come up in the series, Peter becomes obsessive, violent, cut off from the world...exactly like Harry. Harry's spent the better part of two movies obsessing over destroying Peter/Spidey for what he thought Peter did to Norman. Ultimately, Peter had to recognize and overcome that cyclical turnover of hate begetting hate. In Harry forgiving him, Peter was able to forgive himself.

On the other hand, Harry couldn't have been the primary or sole "villain" of the movie because it would have rather quickly turned into a rehash of the conflict with the original Goblin. I thought it was fairly obvious that was what they were getting at when "Norman" told Harry to attack Spidey's heart. Again.

2. Sandman
Sandman in the movie was a guy who let circumstance force him into making bad choices. Imagine a world where Peter didn't learn from the death of Uncle Ben, or had learned the wrong lesson. Whereas Harry's reflection was that of a victim turned victimizer, Sandman's was a victim turned into a self-perpetuating ongoing victim. Marko was used to hating himself for his choices and having everyone else hate him, and in doing so it excused him to keep making bad choices because it wasn't like he had any other choice. Spidey fell into a similar trap in Spidey 2, as you might recall. Unhappiness with the choices Peter hadn't taken responsibility for making were putting him in very literal danger.

When Peter forgave Marko, he was breaking another cycle. Rather than the "wrath cycle" of Harry, in this case he was breaking the "Perpetual victim of circumstance" cycle he had set up with himself. He forgave Marko, which put Marko in a position where someone who he had done wrong wasn't going to help him perpetuate the self-fulfilling prophecy situation.

3. Venom
Venom is the threat of what Spidey could become, plain and simple. Become addicted to your power, overplay your hand constantly, snap to conclusions, win by any means necessary...you name it, that's Venom. You have to divorce yourself from the "kinder, gentler" Venom that Brock ended up becoming in the comic books. (Lethal Protector my ass!) Brock was always intended (in my opinion) to be the literal and figurative dark mirror of Peter. That's why there were so many deliberate parallels.

Peter's defeat of Venom couldn't be complete, because (here comes the message!) Peter will always, ALWAYS be tempted to go a little farther, push the border of right and wrong a little harder. And at the same time, Peter understands the temptation and wants to try and redeem/rescue Brock from himself.

So. That's my analysis on the villains. As for Gwen Stacy, she was there to fill a set role...she was there to make the idea that Peter was seeing someone else plausible enough to mess with MJ. Simple enough. Nothing more, nothing less. Convenient female character. As for the Goblin's disintegration bomb...uh...Sandman is made of sand, so when exposed to a high end incendiary (dunno if the goblin bombs are thermite or napalm or what) sections of him got glassed and/or detonated. Water? In the comics, there are very few things at Spidey's disposal that can slow down Marko. Water is the big one. Big explosions are another. Marko has to focus to retain shape. Water makes it near-impossible, and big explosions make it hard to hold it together. Marko is one of the few villains of Spidey's who doesn't regularly spend time locked up. Too hard. My big beef there was the flying sandstorm thing...someone's been watching too much Sandman. Oh and Venom constantly revealing Brock's face? Mainstay of the comics, folks. My big beef was Brock suddenly having big sharp fangs.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Mr. Parcelan
posted 05-07-2007 08:01:27 PM
Venom revealing Brock's face seems like it would have been fine. Venom routinely shifted between the two. "We are Venom."

Please tell me he talked like that.

Greenlit
posted 05-07-2007 08:31:03 PM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan had this to say about Knight Rider:

He didn't.

And that interpretation is great and all, Deth, but ultimately pointless. You have to go reaching to really find that message. Too bad you have to go reaching through a mound of shit to get to it.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 05-07-2007 08:36:27 PM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan said:
Venom revealing Brock's face seems like it would have been fine. Venom routinely shifted between the two. "We are Venom."

The movie portrayed it more like the symbiote simply being a tool that hungers and has little actual control over its actions beyond bonding with someone. Brock seemed to be completely in control. I might have missed it but I never heard the name "Venom" spoke once.

Blackened
posted 05-07-2007 08:41:02 PM
quote:
Mortious.
The movie portrayed it more like the symbiote simply being a tool that hungers and has little actual control over its actions beyond bonding with someone. Brock seemed to be completely in control. I might have missed it but I never heard the name "Venom" spoke once.
Brock was in essentially in control, because his desires had perfect synergy with what the symbiote wanted and fed off of.

Although my distaste for you as a human being is brobdingnagian,
what I'm about to do isn't personal.
Steven Steve
posted 05-08-2007 12:30:15 AM
quote:
Inferno-Spirit had this to say about dark elf butts:
Kirsten Dunst is a dirty cunt.

Agree

"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 05-08-2007 07:17:50 AM
quote:
Greenlit probably says this to all the girls:
He didn't.

And that interpretation is great and all, Deth, but ultimately pointless. You have to go reaching to really find that message. Too bad you have to go reaching through a mound of shit to get to it.

Funny...I more or less pieced it together in the five minutes or so after the movie...perhaps you went in expecting little and as such got exactly what you anticipated?

What really pissed me off was the lack of good trailers. A Shrek 3 trailer with about ten seconds more footage and the same Pirates 3 trailer I've been watching for weeks were the highlights. The rest were for movies that I do not have any interest in seeing and couldn't fathom why they were being shown with Spidey 3.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 05-09-2007 12:06:13 PM
I have just one other thing to say.

I had a few minutes of free time so I whipped this up.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 05-09-2007 12:54:52 PM
That looks like a Goth Three Stooges move.
To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 05-09-2007 01:42:14 PM
Keep in mind I didn't make that "move" up. I just looped it.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 05-09-2007 01:54:11 PM
Wobble.
Mr. Gainsborough
posted 05-09-2007 04:43:16 PM
How's the pie?
Akiraiu Zenko
Is actually a giddy schoolgirl
posted 05-09-2007 07:08:04 PM
Just saw it today.

I found evil Peter's funky dance HILARIOUS.

The artist formerly known as Zephyer Kyuukaze.
Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 05-09-2007 07:14:34 PM
quote:
Mr. Gainsborough stopped lurking long enough to say:
How's the pie?

Sooooo good.

Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 05-10-2007 10:16:36 AM
quote:
Out of a possible 10, Blindy. scored a straight 1 with:
Sooooo good.

Whoa, I just noticed that after Harry disappears, the guy in the background has GREEN SKIN OMG

Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 05-10-2007 09:15:52 PM
Dr. Conners?
(Insert Funny Phrase Here)
Steven Steve
posted 05-13-2007 12:52:38 PM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Bajah wrote:
Whoa, I just noticed that after Harry disappears, the guy in the background has GREEN SKIN OMG

But he's black hahah

"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."

Burori
Pancake
posted 05-14-2007 01:10:30 AM
Other than the fact that I wanted to hear Venom scream out: THERE IS NO EDDIE BROCK! WE ARE VENOM!

Or the fact that Venom was twice the reduced size he was supposed to be, the movie over all was quite enjoyable to be frank. I enjoyed the bit with Bruce Campbell then again I am from Quebec.

Oui?

Neverwinter Nights Characters:

Race: Dwarf
Name: (Kill) Kilinus
Class: Fighter/Weapon Master/ Doom Knight
Level: 14
Allignent: Neutral Evil
Diety: Bane

Stiddy
Pancake
posted 05-14-2007 05:13:33 AM
quote:
We were all impressed when Elvish Crack Piper wrote:
Dr. Conners?

I was confused by his appearance in the films, since Connors hasn't become reptile...though if they really are planning on releasing three additional Spiderman films, with or without Tobey Maguire and Sam Raimi, then I'm sure he'll be used eventually.

As for Spiderman 3, I think the movie could have actually been pretty good if the entire Venom plot was eliminated. Sure, there's the marketability of "The Black Spidey Suit" and Venom in general, but it's all unnecessary. Any theme about Peter's "dark side" is fulfilled by the Sandman and Harry characters- both of whom had something reasonably tragic happen to them, giving them reason to resort to supervillainy. The Topher Grace Eddie Brock, however, merely lost his job for committing journalistic fraud- hardly giving him any of the audience's sympathy, especially since Brock was already being set up as an asshole from his introduction on. Shit, even Connors turning into Lizard would've served as a better third-villain plot device- at least Connors is likable! I don't think anybody gave a shit about Brock in this movie.

Steven Steve
posted 05-14-2007 09:34:42 AM
I think I would have been a better casting choice for both Peter Parker and Eddie Brock

Greenlit
posted 05-14-2007 05:45:31 PM
A plank of wood would be a better casting choice than Tobey.

Topher could have been a good counterpoint to Tobey had he been given a writer worth a shit.

Steven Steve
posted 05-14-2007 09:16:52 PM
And if he weren't so homosexual

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: