EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: GH2 360 thread
Maradon!
posted 04-03-2007 06:24:06 PM
GRAAGH fucking nirvana
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 04-03-2007 07:31:23 PM
I need to sell my PS2 version in order to have enough spending money to buy the 360 version

I must have The Trooper

Maradon!
posted 04-03-2007 07:41:53 PM
I replayed the first three songs until I got five stars. I'm a perfectionist

Still, I've never played guitar hero... ever, so that's pretty swell.

Maradon!
posted 04-03-2007 07:46:53 PM
Haha, on a whim I plugged the USB guitar into my computer, and if you "connect to the internet to install drivers" it'll actually find them and install it as a game controller.
Blackened
posted 04-03-2007 07:48:14 PM
quote:
Maradon!.
I replayed the first three songs until I got five stars. I'm a perfectionist

Still, I've never played guitar hero... ever, so that's pretty swell.

Don't do this. You'll get better faster by simply progressing through the game as fast as your skills allow you. It's a common mistake for people to keep replaying lower tier songs hoping to five star them all, thinking this will improve their chances at later songs.

Instead, try to get to Medium as fast as possible, then Hard, then Expert. If you find yourself stuck on a Hard/Expert song, then go back and start re-doing some of the easier stuff. Not to mention, I believe that five starring a song on a higher difficulty will automatically five star it on a lower tier.

Although my distaste for you as a human being is brobdingnagian,
what I'm about to do isn't personal.
Willias
Pancake
posted 04-03-2007 07:51:30 PM
quote:
Blackened's unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:
Not to mention, I believe that five starring a song on a higher difficulty will automatically five star it on a lower tier.

Sadly, no it doesn't.

You get the money as if you 5-starred the songs on lower difficulties, but you still have to go back and 5 star songs on lower difficulties for guitar unlocks.

Or at least that's the way it works on the PS2.

Blackened
posted 04-03-2007 08:02:48 PM
quote:
Willias.
Sadly, no it doesn't.

You get the money as if you 5-starred the songs on lower difficulties, but you still have to go back and 5 star songs on lower difficulties for guitar unlocks.

Or at least that's the way it works on the PS2.

Yeah, I was thinking of the money reward part of it.

Maradon, something else you might want to consider someday is the hyper-speed code (BOYOBOYY at the menu screen). This will speed up the scrolling of the notes. It'll help your timing and accuracy on some of the harder, faster songs.

Willias
Pancake
posted 04-03-2007 11:05:20 PM
I'm starting to feel like an asshole here, but unless it's different for the 360 version, it's OBOYOBOY (oh boy oh boy), and I actually used it to help remember the note patterns of the songs, and I had an easier time reading the notes on super fast speed compared to normal speed.

I guess I just didn't handle the clusters well on normal speed.

Gadani
U
posted 04-03-2007 11:10:05 PM
The code is different on the 360.
Blackened
posted 04-03-2007 11:51:26 PM
quote:
Willias.
I'm starting to feel like an asshole here, but unless it's different for the 360 version, it's OBOYOBOY (oh boy oh boy), and I actually used it to help remember the note patterns of the songs, and I had an easier time reading the notes on super fast speed compared to normal speed.

I guess I just didn't handle the clusters well on normal speed.

Asshole.

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 04-03-2007 11:57:57 PM
.. I'd have to sink money into this if the downloadable songs are any good.
Willias
Pancake
posted 04-04-2007 12:00:50 AM
quote:
Gadani had this to say about Optimus Prime:
The code is different on the 360.

okay then!

edit: Blackened was right, by the way.

Willias fucked around with this message on 04-04-2007 at 12:05 AM.

Maradon!
posted 04-04-2007 01:04:42 AM
man adding that fourth fret completely fucking changes things.

I can't even begin to contemplate a fifth. MOVING MY HAND!?

Plus I can never seem to hold the guitar correctly. In the position that feels most comfortable, my fingers rub together badly

Maradon!
posted 04-04-2007 01:09:26 AM
according to gamefaq's the hyper speed code is the same for 360...
Willias
Pancake
posted 04-04-2007 01:11:56 AM
It isn't.
Blackened
posted 04-04-2007 01:31:26 AM
quote:
Maradon!.
according to gamefaq's the hyper speed code is the same for 360...
quote:
Maradon!.
to gamefaq's the hyper s
quote:
Maradon!.
gamefaq
yup

Willias
Pancake
posted 04-04-2007 02:02:18 AM
Actually, I found out it wasn't the same via Gadani, and then looking it up on the GameFAQs forums.

Just means the code hasn't been added yet to the cheat section.

Willias fucked around with this message on 04-04-2007 at 02:02 AM.

Blackened
posted 04-04-2007 02:49:28 AM
quote:
Willias.
Just means the code hasn't been added yet to the cheat section.
Someone put the OBOYOBOY code under the 360 version of GH2 as the hyperspeed cheat. You mean to say "the correct code hasn't been added..."

The point I was trying to make is GameFAQs has information often inaccurate for games that have just been released. And it was someone's mistake to believe it as a reputable source.

Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 04-04-2007 09:50:44 AM
Most new players train themselves to only 'strum' down on the bar for the notes. Try to train yourself to do up AND down with your notes and you'll be able to hit the faster clusters with much better ease as you go.
Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 04-04-2007 02:15:02 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Knight Rider:
man adding that fourth fret completely fucking changes things.

I can't even begin to contemplate a fifth. MOVING MY HAND!?

Plus I can never seem to hold the guitar correctly. In the position that feels most comfortable, my fingers rub together badly

It just takes some time and practice.

Less Talk More Rock on hard (at least for me) was just like playing the scales and really solidified my hand placement. Because eventually you play with your index finger on red, not green, and reach for green rather than stretch your pinky. Stronger fingers and all that.

Boss
Pancake
posted 04-04-2007 02:40:42 PM
quote:
Bajah had this to say about John Romero:
Most new players train themselves to only 'strum' down on the bar for the notes. Try to train yourself to do up AND down with your notes and you'll be able to hit the faster clusters with much better ease as you go.

I suck at the up and down. I only strum down and can beat quite a few songs on expert, but there's a couple that are impossible (seemingly) for just strumming down. Madhouse? I think is one.

Delphi Aegis
posted 04-04-2007 03:14:06 PM
quote:
A sleep deprived Boss stammered:
I suck at the up and down. I only strum down and can beat quite a few songs on expert, but there's a couple that are impossible (seemingly) for just strumming down. Madhouse? I think is one.

You might be thinking of the surfer song in the last set. That and fucking institutionalized agonized me for a good two weeks.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 04-04-2007 05:46:03 PM
Joystiq said this GH2 guide was good. I haven't looked at it, but whatever there you go
Boss
Pancake
posted 04-04-2007 09:02:37 PM
BOYOBOYY... I'm just saying...
Greenlit
posted 04-04-2007 09:04:56 PM
quote:
From the book of Delphi Aegis, chapter 3, verse 16:
You might be thinking of the surfer song in the last set. That and fucking institutionalized agonized me for a good two weeks.

Institutionalized agonizes everyone.

Misirlou is fun for all.

Maradon!
posted 04-04-2007 10:33:52 PM

If I have a run and a note arranged like in the image, should I be able to do a hammer on?

Do two notes NEED to be on consecutive lines in order to do a hammer on/pull of?

Are hammer ons/pull offs just DISABLED on easy mode?

It seems like a useful concept but I have not been able to do it outside the tutorial.

Willias
Pancake
posted 04-04-2007 10:42:02 PM
Okay, you cannot hammer on/pull off after a note that you have to hold. You cannot hammer on/pull off to/from chords. Also, you can't hammer on/pull off to notes that do not have white tops.

Note markers have two kinds of tops: White, and black. White you can hammer on/pull off, Black you have to strum.

Edit: And there aren't going to be very many hammer ons/pull offs in Easy mode, as it's considered to be part of advanced play. However, you'll run into EPIC sized ones in Expert difficulty.

Willias fucked around with this message on 04-04-2007 at 10:43 PM.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 04-04-2007 10:47:33 PM
I find it pretty much impossible to keep track of white vs black while playing on expert. Especially in hyperspeed mode.
Willias
Pancake
posted 04-04-2007 10:51:13 PM
After I play hyper speed mode for like 10 minutes, it feels like it slows down, then I use it to allow me to quickly read the notes bit by bit instead of chunks like in normal speed.

I still can't play Jordan by the way. The first huge blockade of notes kills me every time unless I use star power, but if I use it then, then I can't get past the final massive chunk. arg

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 04-04-2007 10:54:37 PM
quote:
Willias's account was hax0red to write:
After I play hyper speed mode for like 10 minutes, it feels like it slows down, then I use it to allow me to quickly read the notes bit by bit instead of chunks like in normal speed.

Yeah, same here, but I still can't process white/black. I thought it might have been because I was on a tinyass blurry TV, but I have the same issue on a 37" HDTV with progressive scan on so I guess the blame rests on me

Maradon!
posted 04-04-2007 11:01:58 PM
ALL these notes have white tops.
Delphi Aegis
posted 04-04-2007 11:06:37 PM
quote:
Willias had this to say about dark elf butts:
Okay, you cannot hammer on/pull off after a note that you have to hold. You cannot hammer on/pull off to/from chords. Also, you can't hammer on/pull off to notes that do not have white tops.

Note markers have two kinds of tops: White, and black. White you can hammer on/pull off, Black you have to strum.

Edit: And there aren't going to be very many hammer ons/pull offs in Easy mode, as it's considered to be part of advanced play. However, you'll run into EPIC sized ones in Expert difficulty.

Minor contention: You can hammer on FROM chords, just not to.

As far as the white tops, it's possible the 360 version is different in this regard. There should be tutorials that explain them.

The epic hammer-ons in Laid to Rest and Thunderhorse are enjoyable.

As is the fast strumming start of The Light that Blinds.

Maradon!
posted 04-04-2007 11:09:04 PM
yeah, there's no mention of tops in the tutorials
Willias
Pancake
posted 04-04-2007 11:09:49 PM
Right, right.

And Maradon is right too, it's not the top of the note that's white/black, but there's a ring around the top that is either white like the top of the note, or has a black ring. The notes that have black rings must be strummed, the notes that do not can be hammered on/pulled off.

Maradon!
posted 04-04-2007 11:38:58 PM
I see what you mean by white tops now.

There were none on easy until "Who was in my room last night?"

Maradon!
posted 04-05-2007 12:08:51 AM
an easier way to explain it would have been "you cannot hammer on or pull off except where you are scripted to be able to do so."
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 04-05-2007 12:25:18 AM
quote:
Maradon! wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
an easier way to explain it would have been "you cannot hammer on or pull off except where you are scripted to be able to do so."

uh well yeah because it's there to make advanced play viable not to make easy even easier than it already is

Maradon!
posted 04-05-2007 12:55:38 AM
The tutorial and instruction manual - and even the people I talked to - said nothing about white notes, so I naturally assumed that you could do this anywhere.

There's really no need to be an ass and make fun of the fact that I'm struggling to get through easy.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 04-05-2007 at 12:57 AM.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 04-05-2007 01:03:14 AM
quote:
Maradon! stopped beating up furries long enough to write:
The tutorial and instruction manual - and even the people I talked to - said nothing about white notes, so I naturally assumed that you could do this anywhere.

Yeah, even in the PS2 version it never mentions them. You're right. I suppose it's hinging upon you noticing them. I certainly never noticed them, because as I said I have a hard time paying attention to a minor detail like that while playing. That said, I've never run into a time where I've tried to HO/PO when it's not acceptable. It's allowed in places that seem to make sense to me, so I've never really had an issue with it

edit: Everyone struggles with it, especially if it's their first rhythm game. Don't worry, though, you'll be making fun of yourself in a week or so.

Kegwen fucked around with this message on 04-05-2007 at 01:04 AM.

Blackened
posted 04-05-2007 01:58:17 AM
quote:
Maradon!.
It's scripted that way for a reason. It's a halfway decent attempt to mimic how you could HO/PO with a real guitar.

Delphi mentioned Laid to Rest, and he's correct. There is roughly 2(?) minutes of that song where it's completely ho/pos. Not a single bit of strumming needed. Though, in terms of pure fun, Thunderhorse takes the crown.

On a side note: The solo to Symphony of Destruction is EPIC with GH2's HO/POs. Fucking epic.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: