EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: So I gots me dat lazer eye sergery
Aaron (the good one)
posted 03-03-2007 11:19:07 AM
This first day sucks. My glasses don't work, everything is blurry, and I have this 'dream sequence' haze effect on everything. Doctor said it's going to take 3-4 days before I can see straight.

But oh well, no more glasses!

Galbadia Hotel - Video Game Music
I am Canadian and I hate The Tragically Hip
Ares
posted 03-03-2007 11:25:20 AM
Ryuujin
posted 03-03-2007 11:25:22 AM
I've been thinking of getting that done. What vision were you and what should be after everything heals?
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 03-03-2007 11:40:35 AM
Which surgery did you have done?

I had PRK done in 2002, and it was a good 2 months before everything really dialed in. On the plus side, though, I went from 20/400 to 20/15 and that's stayed pretty constant since.

Whatever you do, follow the doctor's advice rigorously--the only guys I know who had problems didn't follow orders about rest and pain medication and drops and things.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Aaron (the good one)
posted 03-03-2007 12:06:15 PM
quote:
Rockstar games presents; Bloodsage;
Which surgery did you have done?

I had PRK done in 2002, and it was a good 2 months before everything really dialed in. On the plus side, though, I went from 20/400 to 20/15 and that's stayed pretty constant since.

Whatever you do, follow the doctor's advice rigorously--the only guys I know who had problems didn't follow orders about rest and pain medication and drops and things.

PRK for me too. Doctor said in a week I'll be 'seeing good' and in 3 months my eyes will be probably fully healed. I am going through he eye drops like crazy.

Cost me $3000 and had it done in New Westminister at the Laser Eye Center in British Columbia.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 03-03-2007 12:27:39 PM
Cool--keep up with the treatment religiously and it'll be cool pretty quick. PRK seems to be the least invasive way to do it, though I wish they'd have immobilized my eye for the laser instead of just saying, "Now it's really important that you look at the red light and don't move your eye. . .or the laser with zap something it's not supposed to. No pressure, now hold still while we take a Dremel to your eyeball to prep it for the surgery."

Kermitov
Pancake
posted 03-03-2007 12:40:42 PM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Bloodsage:
Cool--keep up with the treatment religiously and it'll be cool pretty quick. PRK seems to be the least invasive way to do it, though I wish they'd have immobilized my eye for the laser instead of just saying, "Now it's really important that you look at the red light and don't move your eye. . .or the laser with zap something it's not supposed to. No pressure, now hold still while we take a Dremel to your eyeball to prep it for the surgery."

I really want to do it... but this part scares me.

That and I'd have to take 6 months off from flying before the FAA will give my medical back.

Aaron (the good one)
posted 03-03-2007 02:07:37 PM
There's nothing really scary about it. After it was done I was more like "That's it?" For $3000 I wanted something more!

The wierdest part is when they were brushing my eyeball.

nem-x
posted 03-03-2007 02:15:09 PM
I thought it was supposed to be like half the cost of that
Ares
posted 03-03-2007 02:36:14 PM
$3000 isn about average.

I forgot you're out west, cause I'm looking into getting it done. (though, a long time from now)

Aaron (the good one)
posted 03-03-2007 02:39:05 PM
My brother got it done by Dr. Tayfour in Windsor. He's suppose to be really, really good.
Hostile Makeover
Evil as chocolate covered thistles
posted 03-03-2007 02:49:59 PM
I really want to get it done, but comments like "No pressure, now hold still while we take a Dremel to your eyeball to prep it for the surgery." make me curl up in a corner and rock back and forth for awhile.
Aaron (the good one)
posted 03-03-2007 02:58:02 PM
I don't know what the hell you people are talking about. Here's exactly what happened.

• Go into the prep room where you get 5 different eye drops in each eye
  • Go into the operating room where you lay down and stare at a blinking light
  • Get an eye patch put over 1 eye
  • Doctor puts clips under your eye lid so you don't blink
  • Doctor puts eye drop in your eye so you don't feel the need to blink
  • Doctor puts some kind of cloth on your eye and everything goes black for 15 seconds
  • Doctor lasers your eyeball
  • Doctor puts some REALLY REALLY REALLY COLD WATER ON YOUR EYE
  • repeat for other eye

The entire process takes about 3 minutes.

• Galbadia Hotel - Video Game Music
    Bloodsage
    Heart Attack
    posted 03-03-2007 03:36:40 PM
    You forgot the part where they wipe the surface of the eyball to remove the protective coating so the laser can operate directly on the lens. Don't know what they used for you, but they used a power tool on me that was suspiciously similar to the rotating brush the dentist uses to put fluoride on your teeth.

That was the one part of the procedure, of course, they neglected to mention when the explain the surgery to me beforehand.

Bloodsage
    Heart Attack
    posted 03-03-2007 03:38:41 PM
    quote:
    Bent over the coffee table, Xyrra squealed:
    I really want to get it done, but comments like "No pressure, now hold still while we take a Dremel to your eyeball to prep it for the surgery." make me curl up in a corner and rock back and forth for awhile.

To be fair, I didn't feel a thing. It was just the watching while they did it that was a bit traumatic.

Ares
    posted 03-03-2007 03:42:45 PM
    Actually, there's a proceedure now that does not remove the film on the cornea. It's fairly new, I know my optomitrist promotes it. It's basically "No 'scalple'" surgery. Perhaps that was the procedure that Delid had?
    Maradon!
    posted 03-03-2007 04:53:45 PM
    quote:
    x--nem-xO-('-'Q) :
    I thought it was supposed to be like half the cost of that

That was the comment I made. Around here you can get it done for about $800, and that's at a good place - the chop shops can be as low as $400

Greenlit
    posted 03-03-2007 05:14:05 PM
    quote:
    Maradon! had this to say about the Spice Girls:
    That was the comment I made. Around here you can get it done for about $800, and that's at a good place - the chop shops can be as low as $400

Sweet Jesus I hope that's per-eye and not total.

Maradon!
    posted 03-03-2007 05:39:22 PM
    quote:
    Greenliting:
    Sweet Jesus I hope that's per-eye and not total.

No, total.

I can scan the newspaper ad if you like.

Greenlit
    posted 03-03-2007 05:42:30 PM
    Please do. I have to see this.
    Lechium
    With no one to ever know
    posted 03-03-2007 05:43:34 PM
    That does sound really low, unless they have enough people constantly coming in to get the procedure done to justify a cost like that.
    "The MP checkpoint is not an Imperial Stormtrooper roadblock, so I should not tell them "You don't need to see my identification, these are not the droids you are looking for."
    Maradon!
    posted 03-03-2007 05:57:52 PM
    Gram tossed the paper with the ad that I saw, but the Luna Eye Center are the ones running radio and newspaper ads for $400/eye.

If you google up other places, like the LASIK vision institute, the prices are similar.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 03-03-2007 at 06:01 PM.

Rodent King
    Stabbed in the Eye
    posted 03-03-2007 06:00:08 PM
    I had my eyes done a while ago during a charity auction. A local clinic was auctioning off a procedure and donating it, and I somehow got it for $500. Anyway, yeah. You may to be very sensitive to light from now on; quite a pain at times, but helps at night.

The biggest wierd-out came when they peeled back the protective layer of the eye with a little hook.

If anyone wants, I took some videos of the procedure that I could try to upload.

My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
    Bloodsage
    Heart Attack
    posted 03-03-2007 06:36:23 PM
    quote:
    Rodent King startled the peaceful upland Gorillas, blurting:
    I had my eyes done a while ago during a charity auction. A local clinic was auctioning off a procedure and donating it, and I somehow got it for $500. Anyway, yeah. You may to be very sensitive to light from now on; quite a pain at times, but helps at night.

The biggest wierd-out came when they peeled back the protective layer of the eye with a little hook.

If anyone wants, I took some videos of the procedure that I could try to upload.

Sounds like you had LASIK--not the same thing as PRK. With PRK, they shape the front of the lens, leaving the eye intact; LASIK shapes the back, and gives quicker results, at the expense of some integrity (contact sports, for example, would run a risk of detaching the retina).

Maradon!
    posted 03-03-2007 06:40:35 PM
    quote:
    x--BloodsageO-('-'Q) :
    Sounds like you had LASIK--not the same thing as PRK. With PRK, they shape the front of the lens, leaving the eye intact; LASIK shapes the back, and gives quicker results, at the expense of some integrity (contact sports, for example, would run a risk of detaching the retina).

Sounds like that answers the question.

$3000 or the chance that my eye will fall out? I think I'll stick to glasses.

And wait, did you cross the border for this? Isn't paying for healthcare illegal in canada?

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 03-03-2007 at 06:42 PM.

Bloodsage
    Heart Attack
    posted 03-03-2007 06:49:11 PM
    quote:
    Bent over the coffee table, Maradon! squealed:
    Sounds like that answers the question.

$3000 or the chance that my eye will fall out? I think I'll stick to glasses.

And wait, did you cross the border for this? Isn't paying for healthcare illegal in canada?

LASIK is quite safe, and actually an easier procedure, as the patient gets up off the table with his new vision, whereas PRK takes days or weeks to settle down to the final corrected vision. It's just that with LASIK, you shouldn't play contact sports or pull G's or jump out of airplanes or things like that.

The Air Force did my surgery--PRK is the only one approved for aviators in the service.

Maradon!
    posted 03-03-2007 07:14:28 PM
    quote:
    Bloodsageing:
    It's just that with LASIK, you shouldn't play contact sports or pull G's or jump out of airplanes or things like that.

Well, I plan on being a super hero some day - or at least a secret agent - so I probably shouldn't. Really though, I find it kinda difficult to just up and say I'll abstain from high contact physical activity for the rest of my life just to save myself the inconvenience of glasses or contacts (or $2400 and a seven day dream sequence)

Naimah
    In a Fire
    posted 03-03-2007 08:09:08 PM
    Yea, I'm planning on doing eye surgery as soon as my vision stops changing. I'l probably have to do PRK as I do racquetball a fair ammount and risking a detached retina if the ball hits my head is not something that I would like to risk.
    Doomjudge
    Pancake
    posted 03-03-2007 08:19:09 PM
    quote:
    Maradon! had this to say about John Romero:
    Well, I plan on being a super hero some day - or at least a secret agent - so I probably shouldn't. Really though, I find it kinda difficult to just up and say I'll abstain from high contact physical activity for the rest of my life just to save myself the inconvenience of glasses or contacts (or $2400 and a seven day dream sequence)

Sorry man, you need 20/20 vision to join the super hero/secret agent club.

I think it's rule number 5...

Pvednes
    Lynched
    posted 03-03-2007 08:49:20 PM
    I'm going to get this done fairly soon, hopefully.

However, to actually succeed in doing it to me, I think they're going to have to firmly strap down my arms and legs and hold my head in place.

Mightion Defensor
    posted 03-03-2007 09:02:50 PM
    quote:
    It has been ordained by Primus, that there will be a Chosen One who will use the Matrix to "light our darkest hour." That darkest hour may come sooner if Rodent King keeps posting things like this:

That part about the hook almost made me scream out loud just reading it.

I've had two surgeries on my eyes and they didn't adjust well to contacts, so I'm kinda sensitive about my eyes.... reading this thread made me wanna curl up like Xyrra.

They'd have to sedate me to do that. No question. Not that it matters - I'm nearsighted and astigmatic so they'd have to carve up my cornea like a Thanksgiving turkey to do lasik on them.

Mightion Defensor fucked around with this message on 03-03-2007 at 09:03 PM.

Mortious
    Gluttonous Overlard
    posted 03-03-2007 09:42:57 PM
    quote:
    Pvednes said:
    However, to actually succeed in doing it to me, I think they're going to have to firmly strap down my arms and legs and hold my head in place.

I'd have to be the same way. I'm very thankful for my good eye sight, because god damn I can't stand anything even remotely close to my eyeball. I've never been able to open my eyes underwater without searing pain and every summer they react violently to pollen if I venture out of doors for more than a couple of hours at a time.

My eyes are pussies. Damn well engineered pussies though.

Greenlit
    posted 03-03-2007 11:34:09 PM
    quote:
    How.... Pvednes.... uughhhhhh:

I'm in this boat.

They might need some large German women to hold me down. Hulga and Helga.

Mr. Gainsborough
    posted 03-04-2007 09:16:03 AM
    quote:
    Greenlit had this to say about Cuba:
    They might need some large German women to hold me down. Hulga and Helga.

Uh, yeah. Me too.

What is this thread about?

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
    I posted in a title changing thread.
    posted 03-04-2007 10:09:42 AM
    My buddy Leonard had the Lasik. He was impressed beyond measure. He goes in, they set him up, zap zap, and he says suddenly it was like adjusting the zoom on a camera...everything just came into focus. And this was a guy who was so fucked up he was wearing contacts AND glasses at the same time. Couldn't see shit without glasses. The only drawback was the constant itching for several weeks and the knowledge he wasn't supposed to rub his eyes.

Oh and the sclera was blood red for a day or two.

But he hasn't had any problems since then.

I wish there was something for my eyes. When I was younger, I was severely farsighted. Plus "Lazy Eye" whatever the hell that means. Thick glasses, etc etc. Then when I hit seventh grade, I suddenly didn't need the glasses anymore. Go to the eye doctor, he said it's fairly common for kids like me to grow out of their glasses, and that it might regress once my body caught up to itself, but I should enjoy it while it lasted. Sure enough, by tenth grade I needed glasses to read....kinda....

For the next two years, I needed glasses to see anything at distance. But it wasn't really that things were fuzzy. Just hurt my eyes. So when I was due for new glasses, I went in and got an exam. Doctor tells me, after having me sit in the chair for like an hour and a half, slipping through all sorts of lenses, and adjusting the light, that I suffer from a degree of light sensitivity. Upside is I have great nightvision (it's something to do with the pupil's contractions, I gather), downside is incandescent lightbulbs tend to be harder on my eyes, glare or indirect light while trying to focus on something can give me headaches, etc.

Anyway...believe me, when they come up with a surgery for my problem, eye trauma or no, I'll be all over that shit.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
    "All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
    *Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

CBTao
    Pancake
    posted 03-04-2007 11:39:06 AM
    quote:
    Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:
    My buddy Leonard had the Lasik. He was impressed beyond measure. He goes in, they set him up, zap zap, and he says suddenly it was like adjusting the zoom on a camera...everything just came into focus. And this was a guy who was so fucked up he was wearing contacts AND glasses at the same time. Couldn't see shit without glasses. The only drawback was the constant itching for several weeks and the knowledge he wasn't supposed to rub his eyes.

Oh and the sclera was blood red for a day or two.

But he hasn't had any problems since then.

I wish there was something for my eyes. When I was younger, I was severely farsighted. Plus "Lazy Eye" whatever the hell that means. Thick glasses, etc etc. Then when I hit seventh grade, I suddenly didn't need the glasses anymore. Go to the eye doctor, he said it's fairly common for kids like me to grow out of their glasses, and that it might regress once my body caught up to itself, but I should enjoy it while it lasted. Sure enough, by tenth grade I needed glasses to read....kinda....

For the next two years, I needed glasses to see anything at distance. But it wasn't really that things were fuzzy. Just hurt my eyes. So when I was due for new glasses, I went in and got an exam. Doctor tells me, after having me sit in the chair for like an hour and a half, slipping through all sorts of lenses, and adjusting the light, that I suffer from a degree of light sensitivity. Upside is I have great nightvision (it's something to do with the pupil's contractions, I gather), downside is incandescent lightbulbs tend to be harder on my eyes, glare or indirect light while trying to focus on something can give me headaches, etc.

Anyway...believe me, when they come up with a surgery for my problem, eye trauma or no, I'll be all over that shit.

Maradon!
    posted 03-04-2007 01:50:59 PM
    quote:
    Peanut butter ass Shaq Doomjudge booooze lime pole over bench lick:
    Sorry man, you need 20/20 vision to join the super hero/secret agent club.

I think it's rule number 5...

Uuhhhhh hello? Colbert wears glasses duh

Ares
    posted 03-04-2007 08:18:21 PM
    quote:
    Maradon! thought about the meaning of life:

Optometry isn't considered a "needed" health thingymabob... Therefore, you have to pay for it.. (glasses, appointments, etc.) same with dental, othodontics, certain immunizations (Hep A, for example, I had to pay for) etc.... So, being half blind like I am without my glasses, isn't considered a nesscessity. Unless you have coverage from work benefits, it comes out of your pocket.

Alaan
    posted 03-05-2007 01:43:30 AM
    I can understand your socialized gov't health not paying for a fully optional service like getting your eyes permanantly fixed. But them not covering glasses and stuff is weird. I am completely incapable of driving(IE: getting to work to make a living) without glasses or contacts.
    Inferno-Spirit
    Sports Advocate
    posted 03-05-2007 04:06:50 AM
    quote:
    And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Maradon! was all like:
    Uuhhhhh hello? Colbert wears glasses duh

No lenses, it's like Superman.

"He lets the last Hungarian go, and he goes running. He waits until his wife and kids are in the ground and he goes after the rest of the mob. He kills their kids, he kills their wives, he kills their parents and their parents' friends. He burns down the houses they grew up in and the stores they work in, he kills people that owe them money. And like that he was gone. Underground. No one has ever seen him again. He becomes a myth, a spook story that criminals tell their kids at night. 'If you rat on your pop, Keyser Soze will get you.' And nobody really ever believes." - Roger 'Verbal' Kint, The Usual Suspects
    All times are US/Eastern
    Hop To: