EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Nerf Time!
Yuri
posted 02-23-2007 11:47:07 PM
Maradon!
posted 02-23-2007 11:54:37 PM
quote:
"Dire Bear Form" now grants 25% increased stamina instead of 25% increased health.

what difference does that make?

Yuri
posted 02-23-2007 11:56:53 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about pies:
what difference does that make?

A shitton. When it was stamina it was applied after ALL other effects, including stuff that just buffed health like flasks. Now its just off stamina that the player has. It's quite a large nerf.

Aaron (the good one)
posted 02-24-2007 12:04:06 AM
Warriors are getting...buffed?
Galbadia Hotel - Video Game Music
I am Canadian and I hate The Tragically Hip
Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 02-24-2007 12:07:26 AM
quote:
Nobody really understood why Delidgamond wrote:
Warriors are getting...buffed?

they fucking needed it, tbh.

Thunderclap from def stance is huge. Not only does it make it easier to hold more then one mob (Something that druids and paladins had mildly better success at), it means MOST mobs will do a lot less damage to a warrior just on the attack speed slow alone. And nobody has to be the tclap whore in the back. heh.

The vampiric embrace change I didn't see coming though. Maybe our one shadowpriest will finally get out of it.

Aaron (the good one)
posted 02-24-2007 12:16:23 AM
quote:
Oh Delphi Aegis. Oh Delphi Aegis! Oh Delphi Aegis!!;
they fucking needed it, tbh.

Thunderclap from def stance is huge. Not only does it make it easier to hold more then one mob (Something that druids and paladins had mildly better success at), it means MOST mobs will do a lot less damage to a warrior just on the attack speed slow alone. And nobody has to be the tclap whore in the back. heh.

The vampiric embrace change I didn't see coming though. Maybe our one shadowpriest will finally get out of it.

I'm not arguing if they needed it, they did.

But just saying those words seems so..weird.

Galbadia Hotel - Video Game Music
I am Canadian and I hate The Tragically Hip
Willias
Pancake
posted 02-24-2007 12:32:11 AM
quote:
"Stoneclaw Totem" now has a 50% chance to stun attackers for 3 sec. when struck.

...what the fuck?

Seriously. What the fuck? Apparently the fucking stun is even on diminishing returns.

Edit2: I would also like to say that I am very happy for you warriors, this patch looks like it should kick ass for you guys.

I just hope that eventually, Blizzard will turn around and give us shamans some form of CC, or Anti-CC. Instead of giving shitty buffs to shitty totems.

Willias fucked around with this message on 02-24-2007 at 12:43 AM.

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 02-24-2007 01:00:02 AM
quote:
Nobody really understood why Willias wrote:
...what the fuck?

Seriously. What the fuck? Apparently the fucking stun is even on diminishing returns.

Edit2: I would also like to say that I am very happy for you warriors, this patch looks like it should kick ass for you guys.

I just hope that eventually, Blizzard will turn around and give us shamans some form of CC, or Anti-CC. Instead of giving shitty buffs to shitty totems.

Dude. Shamans use stoneclaw all the time!

To pick herbs and mine nodes.

Willias
Pancake
posted 02-24-2007 01:06:02 AM
I just think the idea of giving Stoneclaw a chance to stun is hilarious, and hilariously retarded.

Then again, as someone on the WoW Shaman boards put it: "Stoneclaw now has a 50% chance to stun retards."

stoneclawl

Willias
Pancake
posted 02-24-2007 01:17:37 AM
With a second glance, I've decided that the change to Elemental Focus might just be what shaman need to have Elemental spec be viable dps on raids.

Probably even more viable than I'm thinking, because without Totem of Wrath (which is +3% spell crit), we can get +11% lightning crit through talents. Getting to 20% crit rate with little +spell crit shouldn't be hard, and with a lot of +spell crit, it may be possible to get close to 30% crit rate on lightning spells.

...that's a lot of mana saved.

Willias fucked around with this message on 02-24-2007 at 01:20 AM.

Batty
Doesn't Like You. Specifically you.
posted 02-24-2007 01:21:24 AM
quote:
Willias impressed everyone with:
With a second glance, I've decided that the change to Elemental Focus might just be what shaman need to have Elemental spec be viable dps on raids.

Bingo.

I know when I was specced Elemental, I focused entirely on spell crit instead of spell damage. Back then it was just for fun. But I easily hit over 30% spell crit. Given that better than 1 in 4 shots resulted in a crit, combine with elemental focus going off crits now, and you have a Shaman that can continue to pour out DPS.

Maradon!
posted 02-24-2007 01:35:43 AM
Fucking melee shaman almost out-DPS'd me in sethekk halls... and he was tanking too
Willias
Pancake
posted 02-24-2007 01:47:14 AM
I've found that at level 42, with Dual Wield, my DPS ranges from 70 to 150 depending on how lucky I get with crits and procs.

I get an odd feeling that I'm doing a very high amount of DPS for a level 42 guy.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 02-24-2007 03:09:27 AM
Merely okay, but it won't change much.
Blackened
posted 02-24-2007 03:44:39 AM
I disagree. It'll change enough.

Meanwhile, Priests continue to have zero PvP survivability.

Although my distaste for you as a human being is brobdingnagian,
what I'm about to do isn't personal.
Maradon!
posted 02-24-2007 03:47:06 AM
quote:
Over the mountain, in between the ups and downs, I ran into Blackened who doth quote:
I disagree. It'll change enough.

Meanwhile, Priests continue to have zero PvP survivability.

Until priests somehow become a class that cannot heal, this will never be solved.

Blackened
posted 02-24-2007 03:55:02 AM
quote:
Maradon!.
Until priests somehow become a class that cannot heal, this will never be solved.
Because druids can't heal they have amazing survivability? How about Paladins? Priests are easily the worst healer to bring in a PvP battle, even specced for longevity. They simply die too fast.

It can be fixed, Blizzard just refuses to admit that AE scream, PW:S, and Inner Fire aren't enough.

Greenlit
posted 02-24-2007 03:55:53 AM
quote:
Blackened had this to say about Pirotess:
Priests are easily the worst healer to bring in a PvP battle, even specced for longevity. They simply die too fast.

True story.

I'd love a good Paladin healer on my side.

Maradon!
posted 02-24-2007 04:17:54 AM
quote:
Peanut butter ass Shaq Blackened booooze lime pole over bench lick:
Because druids can't heal they have amazing survivability? How about Paladins? Priests are easily the worst healer to bring in a PvP battle, even specced for longevity. They simply die too fast.

It can be fixed, Blizzard just refuses to admit that AE scream, PW:S, and Inner Fire aren't enough.

Druids and Paladins don't wear cloth, but when enough attention is on them they drop pretty fast too.

There's just no way to simultaneously make a class equally balanced with every other class while at the same time giving them the ability to survive a disproportionate amount of attention in PVP.

Demos
Pancake
posted 02-24-2007 04:41:36 AM
Paladins are far and away the most durable pvp healers. Druids become a lot squishier when out of bear form healing.
"Jesus saves, Buddha enlightens, Cthulhu thinks you'll make a nice sandwich."
Tier
posted 02-24-2007 05:57:39 AM
Thunder Clap is mediocre AE threat at best, just something to gather mobs's attention before you start cycling sunders into them. Which Demoralizing Shout did anyway. Thunderclap will last like one more low-agro Paladin heal before stuff beelines for the healer. The best source of initial agro is and still will be a Misdirection or Prayer of Mending. The 20 second cooldown on the latter will hurt a lot, though.

More rage is nice, it'll certainly help for single pulls in 5-man non-heroic instances that just didn't hurt enough to generate rage to keep agro off burst DPS. Too bad we've pretty much moved on to Heroics, where the question isn't about whether I can hold agro well enough, but whether the 2 mobs on me will decide to both do 6k crushing blows at once.

The Victory Rush and Unbridled Wrath changes are awesome, sadly I could've used them much earlier, when I was still levelling to 70.

Still, it's better than a jizz in the face. It's rather refreshing to see a positive Warrior patch for a change. Would've liked to see an increase in baseline or talent tanking ability, but feral Druids getting toned down to something slightly worse than Warriors will do.

Taeldian
Pancake
posted 02-24-2007 06:19:44 AM
quote:
We were all impressed when Asha'man wrote:
Thunder Clap is mediocre AE threat at best, just something to gather mobs's attention before you start cycling sunders into them. Which Demoralizing Shout did anyway. Thunderclap will last like one more low-agro Paladin heal before stuff beelines for the healer. The best source of initial agro is and still will be a Misdirection or Prayer of Mending. The 20 second cooldown on the latter will hurt a lot, though.

More rage is nice, it'll certainly help for single pulls in 5-man non-heroic instances that just didn't hurt enough to generate rage to keep agro off burst DPS. Too bad we've pretty much moved on to Heroics, where the question isn't about whether I can hold agro well enough, but whether the 2 mobs on me will decide to both do 6k crushing blows at once.

The Victory Rush and Unbridled Wrath changes are awesome, sadly I could've used them much earlier, when I was still levelling to 70.

Still, it's better than a jizz in the face. It's rather refreshing to see a positive Warrior patch for a change. Would've liked to see an increase in baseline or talent tanking ability, but feral Druids getting toned down to something slightly worse than Warriors will do.

Thunderclap's threat has always been excellent. Before this buff, it was around 2/3 of a sunder. After the buff, you'll be able to use it in defensive stance, adding another 30% threat to it (80% base threat in battle stance, 110% in defensive) or another 45% if you have defiance. That's in addition to making it a bajillion times easier to use.

The buff rocks.

Led
*kaboom*
posted 02-24-2007 06:25:07 AM
OMG WOO~

I think a pig just flew by my window.

The removal of the cooldown on victory rush is espeically awesome ;D

Talonus
Loner
posted 02-24-2007 07:32:45 AM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
Merely okay, but it won't change much.

It wasn't as terrible as many were calling for, but bear tanks got hit pretty hard. The biggest issue is bears will have a hard time doing holding aggro now; most high-end mobs and bosses are immune to lacerate (like pretty much everything in Karazhan), so damage was the only way for them to actually hold aggro. They need to either make more mobs vulnerable to lacerate or have swipe generate aggro again. I still say in a few weeks everything would have been fine if folks didn't bitch. Warriors got their kneejerk nerf though.

At least I'm resto and can take the spots of all the priests getting pissed and quitting though.

Blackened
posted 02-24-2007 08:08:45 AM
quote:
Maradon!.
Druids and Paladins don't wear cloth, but when enough attention is on them they drop pretty fast too.
When enough attention is on anyone, they drop pretty fast, but that's only half the problem. PvP survivability is not simply, "How well can class X weather focus fire?". Consider world/random PvP, even though Blizzard tends not to balance for it, a lot of the community's opinions will come from it. Even if it was, Priests would still come out rock-bottom compared to all other classes that can toss a heal.

It also doesn't really matter if all healing classes end up being balanced for PvP survivability, because that's simply not going to happen. Paladins and Druids will continually reign as number one and two. What simply needs changing, however, is the "productive time" as Priest has in any given PvP encounter.

It almost reads like a joke:

A Priest walks into a PvP fight...

He dies.

Greenlit
posted 02-24-2007 08:10:54 AM
That's not entirely true.

I mean, come on. Remember that time you beat me in a duel by actually punching me in the gut and nuking me down while I looked for something to bludgeon you with?

Maradon!
posted 02-24-2007 10:01:30 AM
quote:
Blackeneding:
What simply needs changing, however, is the "productive time" as Priest has in any given PvP encounter.

It almost reads like a joke:

A Priest walks into a PvP fight...

He dies.

I agree that's an issue, but what I'm getting at is that I don't see how you could help it without giving priests some kinda super powered 10 minute defense ability.

Blackened
posted 02-24-2007 12:21:34 PM
quote:
Maradon!.
I agree that's an issue, but what I'm getting at is that I don't see how you could help it without giving priests some kinda super powered 10 minute defense ability.
Bubbles and blocks are far from overpowered, and they serve their classes just fine. Something similar could work great with Priests. There are many solutions.

Ruvyen
Cartoon Broccoli Boy
posted 02-24-2007 12:28:08 PM
quote:
Verily, Taeldian doth proclaim:
(80% base threat in battle stance, 110% in defensive)

Defensive Stance is 130% threat, not 110%.

Thief: "I have come to a realisation. Dragons are not real in a general sense, but they may exist in certain specific cases."
Fighter: "Like how quantum mechanics describes how subatomic particles can spontaneously pop into existence at random!"
Thief: "No, that's stupid and stop making up words."
--8-Bit Theater
Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 02-24-2007 12:44:41 PM
quote:
When Maradon! says stuff like this, it proves there isn't a God:

There's just no way to simultaneously make a class equally balanced with every other class while at the same time giving them the ability to survive a disproportionate amount of attention in PVP.

1) Pain suppression un-purgeable.
2) Put all the (non shadow) PVP talents in discipline, and all the healing talents in holy. Like it should have been in the first fucking place.

Ruvyen
Cartoon Broccoli Boy
posted 02-24-2007 01:15:58 PM
More good news for warriors.

quote:
The published version on the website will be accurate. However, the notes pushed out that will appear on completion of downloading will have an inclusion that did not make it into this patch.

"Charge", "Intercept", and "Intervene" now remove all snaring effects.

The technology for this has not been completed, so we are holding off implementation to a future patch. We are still working to get this functionality into the game, but simply couldn't finish it for this patch's cut off date.

Thief: "I have come to a realisation. Dragons are not real in a general sense, but they may exist in certain specific cases."
Fighter: "Like how quantum mechanics describes how subatomic particles can spontaneously pop into existence at random!"
Thief: "No, that's stupid and stop making up words."
--8-Bit Theater
Taeldian
Pancake
posted 02-24-2007 04:18:03 PM
quote:
Argh! obviously shouldn't have said:
Defensive Stance is 130% threat, not 110%.

Blarg, you're right. I knew 110 didn't sound right.

Tier
posted 02-24-2007 05:19:24 PM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Taeldian!
Thunderclap's threat has always been excellent. Before this buff, it was around 2/3 of a sunder. After the buff, you'll be able to use it in defensive stance, adding another 30% threat to it (80% base threat in battle stance, 110% in defensive) or another 45% if you have defiance. That's in addition to making it a bajillion times easier to use.

Someone sucks at theorycraft here.

Thunderclap in its current state isn't anything close to 2/3 of a sunder with Defiance, it's rather .5. Any worthwhile agro building comes from single target abilities such as Revenge and Sunders, not from spamming Demo shout or (worse) switching to battle stance to use thunder clap.

Now when you'll be able to use Thunderclap with Defiance, it'll be the 2/3 ratio you mention. On a single target. However, it has a 4 second cooldown, as opposed to 1.5 second global cooldown. So it'll still be more efficient to use single target abilities on up to 4 targets. And quite frankly, if you're up to 4 loose targets to one tank, you/and or your CC are doing something wrong and are about to die.

Led
*kaboom*
posted 02-24-2007 05:58:14 PM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when Argh! said:

*Falls over*

OMG.

Greenlit
posted 02-24-2007 07:11:02 PM
quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Argh! was all like:

Yeah, because why not? It's a little frustrating to watch Blizzard try and 'fix' things. They do it without consideration to the other eight classes in the game.

Hunters' revamp a while back put them at godlike DPS and CC over Rogues, Mages and Warlocks until they (eventually) got reeled back in.

Warlocks became king dicks of the universe for a good long time until TBC itemization started putting HP totals past their Immolation/Corruption/Agony/Conflagrate sequence damage.

Rogue skill and talent juggling made them invincible cloth-caster killing machines, still unaddressed.

I need to figure out which one of my alts will be the next flavor of the month so I can get a head start on leveling him.

Taeldian
Pancake
posted 02-24-2007 08:13:21 PM
quote:
Asha'man had this to say about Captain Planet:
Someone sucks at theorycraft here.

Thunderclap in its current state isn't anything close to 2/3 of a sunder with Defiance, it's rather .5. Any worthwhile agro building comes from single target abilities such as Revenge and Sunders, not from spamming Demo shout or (worse) switching to battle stance to use thunder clap.

Now when you'll be able to use Thunderclap with Defiance, it'll be the 2/3 ratio you mention. On a single target. However, it has a 4 second cooldown, as opposed to 1.5 second global cooldown. So it'll still be more efficient to use single target abilities on up to 4 targets. And quite frankly, if you're up to 4 loose targets to one tank, you/and or your CC are doing something wrong and are about to die.

Pre-BC and before the Improved Thunderclap change, Thunderclap had about 160 threat (x4 targets!) while Sunder had about 260, which is 62%. Not quite 2/3, but pretty close. Add Improved Thunderclap, and now that Thunderclap can benefit from the threat bonus offered by Defiance and Defensive Stance, you can get quite a bit more out of Thunderclap than before.

How is it more efficient to stick with revenge/sunder spam when you can work them in with thunderclapping every cooldown? It's also a pretty retarded assumption to say you're automatically going to die if you have 4 unCCed targets. Have you ever been to Shattered Halls?

Willias
Pancake
posted 02-24-2007 08:17:01 PM
quote:
Yuri probably says this to all the girls:
A shitton. When it was stamina it was applied after ALL other effects, including stuff that just buffed health like flasks. Now its just off stamina that the player has. It's quite a large nerf.

Druids are noting that it's about a thousand less HP, and about 2 to 5% less physical mitigation.

In other words, this patch merely brought druid tanking down closer to where warriors are, and then toned down their damage to be around that of a prot warrior's.

Druids are noticing on the test realm, however, that they still hold aggro on multiple targets better than warriors do.

In other words, this isn't really a significant nerf, and merely brings druids back in line where they should have been, while everyone on the Blizzard forums is screaming bloody murder over a nerf that really didn't hurt anything but bear DPS.

The priest nerfs however are retarded.

Taeldian
Pancake
posted 02-24-2007 08:18:51 PM
I also want to add that I realize the 62% number does not include defiance being added to Sunder Armor. It doesn't change the fact that Thunderclap, an already strong threat ability, just got a lot stronger and easier to use.
Lechium
With no one to ever know
posted 02-24-2007 11:09:34 PM
quote:
If a targeted enemy has a magic effect granting immunity to spell or physical damage, “Mass Dispel” will now always pick that effect as its target.

That's the only good thing I see coming out of the patch for priests. Other than that, the threat reduction and no critical heals for Vampiric Embrace is lame.

"The MP checkpoint is not an Imperial Stormtrooper roadblock, so I should not tell them "You don't need to see my identification, these are not the droids you are looking for."
Mr. Parcelan
posted 02-25-2007 12:32:48 AM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Lechium:
That's the only good thing I see coming out of the patch for priests. Other than that, the threat reduction and no critical heals for Vampiric Embrace is lame.

I'm not even sure what the basis for these nerfs is, it's not like Priests were remotely close to overpowered before. It's almost vindictive and Blizz isn't saying anything.

Apparently there was a Priest riot on Dentarg last night.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: