EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Recommend some books please!
Gadani
U
posted 12-08-2006 12:25:47 AM
My mom wants to know what kind of books my grandmother should get me for Christmas (she doesn't really have much money, but she wants to get me something anyway) and I don't really know what to tell her.

To give you an idea of what I like, I have all of the Discworld books as well as Good Omens(the one Pratchett and Gaiman wrote together).

Mr. Parcelan
posted 12-08-2006 12:38:29 AM
A Song of Fire and Ice books by George R.R. Martin are real nice, yeah.

If all else fails, though, you could ask for Robert E. Howard's "Conan the Barbarian" series, which have been recently re-published. Conan is important as he heralds the first break from medieval European fantasy and births the genre of swords and magic where bony wizards in thick, flowing robes abduct scantily-clad young women who are raped by brawny men after said men disembowl said wizards.

Nice.

Gadani
U
posted 12-08-2006 12:50:19 AM
I'm not really into the fantasy so much as the humor/satire.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 12-08-2006 12:52:01 AM
Go fuck yourself.

Maybe ask for a BOOK OF POETRY so you can impress the ladies.

Gadani
U
posted 12-08-2006 01:13:42 AM
I hate poetry.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 12-08-2006 01:17:56 AM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Gadani!
I hate poetry.

The key to reading poetry is to discover what words fit best in a limited amount of space. Fiction is an adventure, a long and drawn out episode in someone's life, whereas poetry is intended to be not even a scene, but more like a glimpse into someone's life.

To that end, it helps immensely when seducing women.

Kinanik
Upset about being titless
posted 12-08-2006 01:25:02 AM
The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester!
Gully Foyle is my name
And Terra is my nation
Deep space is my dwelling place
The stars my destination
Arrenn Lightblade
Yes. Yes he is.
posted 12-08-2006 01:35:25 AM
Gadani
U
posted 12-08-2006 01:37:42 AM
quote:
Arrenn Lightblade's fortune cookie read:
The Zombie Survival Guide

I have that book.

I also have America: The Book by THE DAILY SHOW WITH JON STUART.

So, humor/fantasy humor/political humor is what I'm looking for, I guess.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 12-08-2006 06:17:46 AM
I just...oh, well, that's sci-fi. Some of it is quite funny, though.
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 12-08-2006 09:03:21 AM
I have recently been introduced to the writings of Robert Asprin. His work has a similar feel to Terry Pratchett's Discworld, so if you like one, you'll probably like the other. The one I've read so far is the first book of Phule's Company, but I've been told that the Myth series is funnier.
Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 12-08-2006 09:10:15 AM
Yep, Asprin's quite good. I've read his MYTH and Phule's Company series about 15 or more years ago. I don't remember a single word of novels, but I do remember that I liked them.

Of course I was 15 years younger then.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Zaeron
Pancake
posted 12-08-2006 10:02:46 AM
If you haven't read everything by Douglas Adams, ask for some of that. Other than him and Terry Pratchet, I don't read much humor though, so..
Kait
has made another completely pointless and off-topic post that nobody cares about
posted 12-08-2006 02:16:06 PM
Well, you might enjoy the Kushiel Triology by Jacqueline Carrey, it's about a political spy courtesan girl person thing...hard to explain. Kind of out there, basically fantasy with only vague references to magic, but the writing's so good that it actually made me care about the politics of the book, and I typically hate politics in my fiction.

Or Trio for Lute by R. A. MacAvoy is a good, epic fantasy, somewhat akin in spirit to Discworld, I'd say. Beware though, it can be a tear-jerker.

"A black cat dropped soundlessly from a high wall, like a spoonful of dark treacle and melted under the gate."
-Elizabeth Lemarchand
Cadga 2.0
Pancake
posted 12-08-2006 02:25:38 PM
anything by Kurt Vonnegut

Cadga 2.0 fucked around with this message on 12-08-2006 at 02:26 PM.

Professional Heretic/Sinner/Linux User
"Every Breath leaves me one less to my last"
Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 12-08-2006 02:34:05 PM
Just read a whole shitload of Terry Pratchett. You'll feel better about yourself.
Talonus
Loner
posted 12-08-2006 04:36:08 PM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when Mr. Parcelan said:
If all else fails, though, you could ask for Robert E. Howard's "Conan the Barbarian" series, which have been recently re-published. Conan is important as he heralds the first break from medieval European fantasy and births the genre of swords and magic where bony wizards in thick, flowing robes abduct scantily-clad young women who are raped by brawny men after said men disembowl said wizards.

I'm reading through these books now actually. These new re-published versions are much better than the old edited versions. The stories are formulaic, but I can't help but love them.

Demos
Pancake
posted 12-08-2006 05:12:00 PM
Piers Anthony.
"Jesus saves, Buddha enlightens, Cthulhu thinks you'll make a nice sandwich."
Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 12-08-2006 05:12:39 PM
Sort of dark humor in places, but I've been re-reading the Anita Blake Vampire Hunter series. It's good before it turns into softcore erotica.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 12-08-2006 05:38:06 PM
quote:
Gadani startled the peaceful upland Gorillas, blurting:
I'm not really into the fantasy so much as the humor/satire.

Robert Rankin's The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Sentow, Maybe
Pancake
posted 12-08-2006 07:03:03 PM
quote:
Cadga 2.0 had this to say about dark elf butts:
anything by Kurt Vonnegut

Indeed.

Slaughterhouse V is generally considered his best, if you're not sure where to start.

Once more into the breach, my friends, once more. We'll close the wall with our dead. In peace, nothing so becomes a man as modesty and humility, but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with rage and lend the eye a terrible aspect.
Ozimander
$$$$$$$$$$$
posted 12-08-2006 07:27:25 PM
World War Z, the follow up to the Zombie Survival Guide

Devices and Desire, by someone I forget. It's a neat little political fiction with some weird kinda Arabs or Turks and an Italian City-State

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrel by Susan something

American Gods by Neil Gaiman

Fragile Things by Neil Gaiman

Final Exits, by someone I forget which is an encyclopedia of ways we die.

Any Solomon Kane story by Robert. E. Howard.

Faelynn LeAndris
Lusty busty redheaded wood elf with sharp claws
posted 12-08-2006 08:17:40 PM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Demos!
Piers Anthony.

Good suggestion here. He also covers several different genres beyond fantasy as well so you are covered there as well.

And it's ALL humor/satire, without the obscurity of some of Pratchets work. So it's a good deviation from the Discworld type.

I miss my Discworld collection though.

Anyway, yeah, Piers Anthony is awesome. He is also responcible for the ever popular "Total Recall".

I highly recomend the "Incarnations of Immortality" series. Unfortunately you absolutely MUST read them in the order they were produced.

There is also the "Adept" series and the infamous "Xanth" world of puns series which is still insanely popular and still running today (29 novels in).

My LAUNCHCast Station
"Respect the Forest, Fear the Ranger"
I got lost for an hour and became god.
Blackened
posted 12-08-2006 08:20:36 PM
Piers Anthony is pretty much a closet paedophile.

Although my distaste for you as a human being is brobdingnagian,
what I'm about to do isn't personal.
Vernaltemptress
Withered and Alone
posted 12-09-2006 02:21:59 AM
quote:
Faelynn LeAndris had this to say about Robocop:
Anyway, yeah, Piers Anthony is awesome. He is also responcible for the ever popular "Total Recall".

Which was actually inspired by the novelette "We Can Remember It for You Wholesale" by Phillip K. Dick.

Obamanomics: spend, tax, and borrow.
Kinanik
posted 12-09-2006 02:53:03 AM
They jacked the name though. "Blade Runner" was a novel by someone else, but they thought it fit the movie, so they bought the title.
Gully Foyle is my name
And Terra is my nation
The stars my destination
Kinanik
posted 12-09-2006 03:00:15 AM
For Vonnegut, I would actually recommend Cat's Cradle as a good starting point, I find it funnier than Slaughterhouse V, but both are amazing.

Kinanik fucked around with this message on 12-09-2006 at 03:01 AM.

Gully Foyle is my name
And Terra is my nation
The stars my destination
Kait
has made another completely pointless and off-topic post that nobody cares about
posted 12-09-2006 03:58:41 AM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Blackened said:
Piers Anthony is pretty much a closet paedophile.

I used to exchange emails with him when I was fourteen, and yeah, even then I got said vibes x.x Good writer, buuut....

"A black cat dropped soundlessly from a high wall, like a spoonful of dark treacle and melted under the gate."
-Elizabeth Lemarchand
Faelynn LeAndris
Lusty busty redheaded wood elf with sharp claws
posted 12-09-2006 07:19:12 AM
quote:
Kait attempted to be funny by writing:
I used to exchange emails with him when I was fourteen, and yeah, even then I got said vibes x.x Good writer, buuut....

So are we going to go back to posting about how you are personally involved somehow with every topic?

quote:
Vernaltemptress had this to say about Pirotess:
Which was actually inspired by the novelette "We Can Remember It for You Wholesale" by Phillip K. Dick.

Yep, among other sources. Dick is actually credited in Anthony's original novel. Which is really just an expanded verion of the novelette.

It was his novelette that prompted the movie being made, as Ronald Shusett,and Gary Oldman were fans of it. The script was pulled from the novell obviously since it contained more, and futher expanded material.

Kinanik... "Blade Runner"? That has nothing to do with "Total Recall". That was based off of Dick's "Do Androids Dream."

"We Can Remember It for You Wholesale" was the basis for Piers Anthony's "Total Recall" which was based off that novelette, and inspired the movie.

Edit: Actually needed to clarify something. The actual "novel" novel came after the movie, it was his prewrite that would BECOME the novel that was the major basis for it. Noteably, once the movie was actually released, Anthony got caught in the backlash because the then released novel's ending was different from that of the movie.

Faelynn LeAndris fucked around with this message on 12-09-2006 at 07:28 AM.

My LAUNCHCast Station
"Respect the Forest, Fear the Ranger"
I got lost for an hour and became god.
Kait
posted 12-09-2006 04:08:49 PM
e.e Or you could take it for what it is, an agreement with Blackened.
Aren't you supposed to be ignoring me anyhow?
-Elizabeth Lemarchand
Mr. Parcelan
posted 12-09-2006 05:08:14 PM
The Game: Penetrating the Secret Society of Pickup Artists by Neil Strauss is actually a pretty fun read. I always like books like that, so you might, too.

Also get a copy of the Kama Sutra for when you get an STD.

The Berserker
Pancake
posted 12-09-2006 05:43:15 PM
David Eddings is a pretty ok fantasy writer, but he likes to put a lot of humor in his books.
"Return of the Berserker"
Kinanik
posted 12-09-2006 07:42:43 PM
I meant that Blade Runner, like Total Recall, was a Philip K. Dick story, that they bought the title from a different sci fi novel to use for the movie.
Gully Foyle is my name
And Terra is my nation
The stars my destination
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 12-10-2006 09:35:13 AM
There's also Doug Adams' Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency and The Long Dark Teatime of the Soul.
To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Taylen
Pancake
posted 12-10-2006 06:18:01 PM
Asprin is funny but like most longer running series the earlier books in the MYTH series are much better then some of the new ones. I liked the first 2 Phule's company books but later ones seemed to be trying to hard and lost something.

Piers Anthony's Xanth novels suffer from the same issue earlier books are better than later ones, especially since so much humor relies on puns, I think he went through the best ones earlier on.

Loved his Incarnations series though definatly read the whole thing, not really worth reading otherwise especially for the ending on the final book.

Bill, The Galactic Hero series by Harry Harrison is good for mindless and often Sophmoric humor.

Any of the novels involving Wuntvor by Craig Shaw Gardner are funny but I believe out of print.
As is Go Quest Young Man by K. B. Bogen but if you can find it at a used book store is definatly a fun read.

Taylen fucked around with this message on 12-10-2006 at 06:25 PM.

"When correctly viewed, everything is lewd." - Tom Lehrer.
Sadomasochism: It's Fun!
Taylen Ashenbow
Rangers never run we mearly stratigically retreat.
Thats not a train thats a pull, my trains are always much bigger.
Hostile Makeover
Evil as chocolate covered thistles
posted 12-11-2006 01:26:31 AM
Towing Jehovah and Blameless in Abaddon, by James Morrow.
God is dead, and a ship captain (recovering from an oil spill ala the Exxon Valdez) has been hired to tow the holy remains to the Arctic. The second book involves said remains and a theme park scheme!

Xyrra fucked around with this message on 12-11-2006 at 01:27 AM.

Norim Stumpfighter
Milkmaid
posted 12-11-2006 02:10:20 AM
Since it is on the same topic, what would people suggest for someone who loves forgotten realms/dragonlance novels (specifically salvatore, greenwood and weiss & Hickman) along with some more of the more "mainstream" fantasy like WoT, Sword of Truth, etc.

I have been wondering about discworld books for awhile but am afraid to buy something I might not like.

if this ends up looking like a hijack of Gadani's thread, i apologize and ignore me. Just figured he had 30+ replies so he had some pretty good material to work with

Maradon!
posted 12-11-2006 02:13:26 AM
quote:
Peanut butter ass Shaq Norim Stumpfighter booooze lime pole over bench lick:
I have been wondering about discworld books for awhile but am afraid to buy something I might not like.

You'll like it.

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 12-11-2006 07:47:10 AM
quote:
Norim Stumpfighter is attacking the darkness!
If you want to try out Discworld without sinking yourself into a sequence, start with Small Gods. If you like it, look up the Discworld reading chart and pick one of the starting-point books.
Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Peter
Pancake
posted 12-11-2006 08:40:14 AM
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: