EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Let's talk about Warhammer Online
Mr. Parcelan
posted 10-26-2006 06:45:44 AM
I'm excited for this game, very much so.

As many of you likely know, I am both a lore fanatic and an orc fanatic and when I get orcish lore, I tend to get rather violently fanatical.

The lore of Warcraft's orcs has become too stale for me. The orcs are a proud and shamanistic race, of course, but they seem too soft now. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that armor in WoW is all around the same on everyone, so all the orcs are running around in medieval European plate when they were going into battle with nothing more than helmets, axes and loincloths in Warcraft.

Meanwhile, the orcs of Warhammer are completely and totally psychotic. They aren't evil, per se, they just live to kick ass and tear people apart. Their whole society and racial personality (ie: WAAAAAGH!, Gork and Mork, the Cockney accents, etc.) just makes them seem more alive than WoW. They aren't exactly deep or hard to understand, but that's part of their charm.

And when you stack the Warhammer Orc against the Warcraft Orc, one of them seems insanely badass and another seems like a sissy.

I'm torn, though. Orcs are my chief love, of course, but I like the idea of the Chaos faction, as well. They aren't evil, either, not in the traditional sense...they're just mutated, chaotic, twisted. It's not about fire and brimstone, as that one guy who pitched the game said, it's about cutting open your arm and MICE coming out!

So yes, I am excited about this very much. What will you be playing?

I was also talking about this with Batty earlier, but in the cinematic trailer, is it just me or do the forces of Order seemingly get their asses kicked a lot?

Mr. Parcelan fucked around with this message on 10-26-2006 at 06:48 AM.

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 10-26-2006 07:01:35 AM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan's account was hax0red to write:

I was also talking about this with Batty earlier, but in the cinematic trailer, is it just me or do the forces of Order seemingly get their asses kicked a lot?

Except for the Orc at the start of the trailer...

I'm looking forward to it too. Love the background of the WH world. My only gripe at this moment is the emphsis on PvP the game will have. Hopefully I'll win a beta-spot soon, to find out myself. I subscribed their (very good) newsletter the day their site went up, dammit.

Charcterwise I will probably go either for a High Elf, Dark Elf or (Night)Goblin, as these are my favourite WH Armies.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Akiraiu Zenko
Is actually a giddy schoolgirl
posted 10-26-2006 07:30:46 AM
I noticed, when trying to dig up info, that there appear to be race-specific classes.

I hope I can be a Swordmaster of Hoeth...

The artist formerly known as Zephyer Kyuukaze.
Willias
Pancake
posted 10-26-2006 09:33:27 AM
I'd probably go with either an Orc or a High Elf.

If an orc, maybe shaman depending if it focuses more on smashing things, or healing/buffing things. If it leans more towards a heal bitch, I'll probably play whatever orc class allows me to smash things the hardest.

If a high elf, I'll be whatever allows me to throw around the biggest and most powerful spells.

Led
*kaboom*
posted 10-26-2006 09:51:12 AM
Going to be an orc, definetly

WAUGH

Sentow, Maybe
Pancake
posted 10-26-2006 09:54:26 AM
I normally play knight-in-shining-armor types, but I think it'll be refreshing to play a totally and irredeemably evil character.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!

Once more into the breach, my friends, once more. We'll close the wall with our dead. In peace, nothing so becomes a man as modesty and humility, but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with rage and lend the eye a terrible aspect.
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Pancake
posted 10-26-2006 09:59:04 AM
I'll probably play a Dark elf, if there are race specific classes, that'll be so badass, playing an executioner.
Willias
Pancake
posted 10-26-2006 10:01:52 AM
Now see, one of the things I'm looking forward to in Warhammer is that it might finally be possible to feel like you have a truly evil character.

Even the undead quests in WoW leave you feeling like you're working for some greater good half the time.

Greenlit
posted 10-26-2006 10:10:42 AM
quote:
From the book of Willias, chapter 3, verse 16:
Now see, one of the things I'm looking forward to in Warhammer is that it might finally be possible to feel like you have a truly evil character.

Even the undead quests in WoW leave you feeling like you're working for some greater good half the time.

Yeah, after level twenty they seem to grow out of the "Fuck YOU guys" theme towards all the other living races.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 10-26-2006 10:15:12 AM
WAAAAAAAAGHH!

This could be the first time I seriously play a non "pretty" race as my main character in an MMO. Orcs are just too damned cool.

Peter
Pancake
posted 10-26-2006 10:50:45 AM
I am thinking of going dwarf, possibly a slayer because I like the idea of the dwarf slayer alot.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 10-26-2006 11:39:32 AM
I might give it a try. If playing a Chaos warrior type is fun then I'll switch to this as my MMORPG of choice.
Timpofee
Mancake
posted 10-26-2006 11:42:07 AM
Chaos is the bomb
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 10-26-2006 12:53:29 PM
Though I'll likely have to wade through the leet doods who go to Chaos because of the "cool factor".
Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 10-26-2006 01:18:39 PM
Classes will be race specific, and so far the classes that have been announced are:

Dwarfs:
-Hammerer: Melee DPS, damage increases longer they stay in combat, kinda like Brutes in CoV
-Ironbreaker: Tank, damage dealt increases as team members take damage
-Engineer: Short ranged attack, lots of AOE damage
-Rune Priest: Nothing official announced, but most likely will buff/heal and nullify enemy magic

Orcs:
-Black Orc: Tank, damage increases with chain attacks, has special moves to stun, disorient, hamstring, etc.
-Goblin Shaman: Magic damage/support class, damage spells increase in power as they cast support spells and vice versa, encouraging them to alternate between the two.
-Goblin Squig Herder: Ranged/Pet class similar to WoW Hunters, but focuses more on pets. Able to have more than one pet out and different types, and pets stick around after death.
-Orc Berserker/Ironclaw: Been called both classes, though the WAR site states berserker currently. Presumably melee DPS class.

Empire:
-Bright Wizards: Fire mages. They set things on fire, then burn them, then make them explode.
-Warrior Priest: Melee/Magic Support class, presumably similar to Paladins

That's all that have been announced officially, though there has been concept art of the Bandit released at the same time as the Bright Wizard and Warrior Priest. Most likely if it is a class, will serve as the Empire's ranged attack class, as she was a multitude of pistols on her.

Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 10-26-2006 01:23:23 PM
Dark Elves, wheeee!
Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Pouncer of the 12th degree!
"Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"
Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 10-26-2006 01:28:28 PM
quote:
We were all impressed when Sakkra wrote:
Empire:
-Bright Wizards: Fire mages. They set things on fire, then burn them, then make them explode.

"I'm going to burn you to a cinder... then I'm going to burn that cinder to ashes... and then.. just to make sure... I'm going to blow the ashes straight to hell."

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
-----------------------------------
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 10-26-2006 01:31:04 PM

The aforementioned bandit.

Arrenn Lightblade
Yes. Yes he is.
posted 10-26-2006 05:27:06 PM
I am leaning towards a Goblin Squig-Herder. Dwarf Engineer seems cool, too.
The Berserker
Pancake
posted 10-26-2006 05:29:51 PM
I love the lore of Warhammer fantasy a lot, enough to seriously consider buying a fantasy army, but the rules are a bit wonky. I'm really looking forward to Warhammer online, just to see how everything works, and how the classes are going to be.
"Return of the Berserker"
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 10-26-2006 05:31:25 PM
Orc berserker.

All the way.

WAAAAAAAAGH

Ryuujin
posted 10-26-2006 06:03:48 PM
Black Orc.

WAAAAAUGH!

Willias
Pancake
posted 10-26-2006 06:04:07 PM
Okay, Greenskins are made up of Goblins and Orcs, each has two classes.

Goblins have Squig Herders and Shamen.
Orcs have Black Orcs and Choppas.

Edit: So I'm definately going to be an Orc Choppa. WAAAAAAGH!

Willias fucked around with this message on 10-26-2006 at 06:04 PM.

Vise the Stompy
Title now 100% ass free!
posted 10-26-2006 06:52:44 PM
If I play, I want to play Goblin since they are my favorite greenskins. Class isn't important.
Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 10-26-2006 07:44:37 PM
I may give it a whirl if they somehow have different Chaos factions worked out. I'm a big fan of Nurgle and Slaneesh. If it's just generic: "You've picked chaos! Be either a warrior, or a berzeker(Warrior)!" then I'll pass. Let me know how it is!
My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
Sentow, Maybe
Pancake
posted 10-26-2006 08:00:32 PM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Rodent King said:
I may give it a whirl if they somehow have different Chaos factions worked out. I'm a big fan of Nurgle and Slaneesh. If it's just generic: "You've picked chaos! Be either a warrior, or a berzeker(Warrior)!" then I'll pass. Let me know how it is!

I got the impression from here that all Chaos characters will be devotees of Tzeentch, the Changer of Ways. I like Tzeentch (if for no reason other than Citadel's awe-inspiring Lord of Change model), but I don't like my character being railroaded through what is, in the original game, a significant decision in forming a Chaos army.

So I may let out my inner WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!

Once more into the breach, my friends, once more. We'll close the wall with our dead. In peace, nothing so becomes a man as modesty and humility, but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with rage and lend the eye a terrible aspect.
Ryuujin
posted 10-26-2006 08:16:32 PM
Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 10-26-2006 08:59:37 PM
I don't know much about the Warhammer universe, I would like to know where I can go to read more about the races, the world, etc.

Please give me references!

Sentow, Maybe
Pancake
posted 10-26-2006 09:07:30 PM
quote:
Khyron got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
I don't know much about the Warhammer universe, I would like to know where I can go to read more about the races, the world, etc.

I'd check here first. The GW site is more concerned with the tabletop wargame, but you can still get a lot of information about the races' histories and character.

Peter
Pancake
posted 10-26-2006 09:43:18 PM
Wikipedia also has a plenty of background fluff for warhammer
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 10-26-2006 11:59:56 PM
quote:
Khyron was naked while typing this:

Also, if you feel like spending a bit. go to your local game store and pick up some of the codexes/lore books. Ask the people that work there, they can help you pick good books for general universe fluff.

You want Warhammer Fantasy, not Warhammer 40K.

Maradon!
posted 10-27-2006 12:04:02 AM
quote:
Peanut butter ass Shaq Falaanla Marr booooze lime pole over bench lick:
Also, if you feel like spending a bit. go to your local game store and pick up some of the codexes/lore books.

Haha, a bit?

Akiraiu Zenko
Is actually a giddy schoolgirl
posted 10-27-2006 12:43:59 AM
Of course, a Bestigor or something Slaaneshi might be fun to play, too...
The artist formerly known as Zephyer Kyuukaze.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 10-27-2006 12:58:28 AM
I absolutely dig how the classes are unique...in a way, I think they might be onto something by eliminating core classes entirely and making everything, to some degree, a hybrid.

The Black Orc seems like a baffling, interesting take on the tank idea: powerful brute combined with crowd control? Dirty fighting all the way, I say.

The Shaman seems like a cool trip between a mage and a cleric, which is pretty neat. If they do have to alternate between spells, that'd be even cooler, making them a real challenge to play.

The Squig Herder seems like some psychotic version of a Pokemon trainer: different squigs in an entire herd of them? I hope it's essentially commanding your pets with a little ranged action mixed in.

I eagerly await the other classes. It seems like they'd all be a cool experience unto themselves.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!

Ryuujin
posted 10-27-2006 01:11:24 AM
And apparently, Squig Herders can actually enter the squigs and use them for battle armor?
Tarquinn
posted 10-27-2006 02:10:46 AM
quote:
Sakkra had this to say about Cuba:

The aforementioned bandit.

According to the newsletter this is going to be a NPC.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 10-27-2006 02:37:28 AM
quote:
Nobody really understood why Maradon! wrote:
Haha, a bit?

If you're only after one faction, 20 bucks really isn't that much. Granted, the codexes are't the hugest things out there, but they might be of interest and generally sell pretty well to other potential players. I'll agree those aren't too cheap, though. But if you're really into a particular race, 20 bucks really isn't all that much to read up some good info on them. Though the lore type books are probably better.

As for the actual story type books and other lore books, you can get some really neat stuff at decept prices -- normal book costs, really. Some of the more special books are more expensive but, then again, so are most non-traditional novel type books.

Tarquinn
posted 10-27-2006 02:55:47 AM
quote:
Falaanla Marr had this to say about Pirotess:
If you're only after one faction, 20 bucks really isn't that much. Granted, the codexes are't the hugest things out there, but they might be of interest and generally sell pretty well to other potential players. I'll agree those aren't too cheap, though. But if you're really into a particular race, 20 bucks really isn't all that much to read up some good info on them. Though the lore type books are probably better.

As for the actual story type books and other lore books, you can get some really neat stuff at decept prices -- normal book costs, really. Some of the more special books are more expensive but, then again, so are most non-traditional novel type books.

Also, if you are only interested in the lore the armybooks have to offer, you can get the armybooks of older WH editions cheap on eBay.

Toktuk
Pooh Ogre
Keeper of the Shoulders of Peachis Perching
posted 10-27-2006 04:20:52 AM
If Chaos has an option for any Khorne-based classes, that'd be my first choice. To me, Chaos has always seemed like an infinitely more dangerous threat than Or(c|k)s. The Chaos Warrior in the movie didn't seem to have any color tint to it's armor, which makes me think they could be going with undivided Chaos instead of following a specific god. I'm OK with that too. Outside of those options, I think the Black Orc sounds like it will fit my play style very well.

My main problem is that my normal play group is full of people who always insist on playing "good" races and for some reason I have a hard time jumping into any character that doesn't have a bit of darkness to it. I suppose they'll need to make the switch or spend their time getting killed.

-H

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 10-27-2006 06:52:49 AM
quote:
Hellbender said:
If Chaos has an option for any Khorne-based classes, that'd be my first choice. To me, Chaos has always seemed like an infinitely more dangerous threat than Or(c|k)s. The Chaos Warrior in the movie didn't seem to have any color tint to it's armor, which makes me think they could be going with undivided Chaos instead of following a specific god.

I'm actually hoping they provide some kind of "army painter" tool like they have in Dawn of War. Or spend a certain amount of gold/loot and you can access the tool to retint your armour.

I mean.. I love Khorne.. but I'd also like to be a Chaos Sorceror of Tzeentch. They're self serving and power hungry, just like me! If only because every other Chaos will be a Khorne Warrior/Beserker.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: