EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: I got CoV today
Maradon!
posted 08-18-2006 04:04:25 PM
So where are all the cool kids?
Dr. Gee
Say it Loud, Say it Plowed!
posted 08-18-2006 04:09:14 PM
I play on Gaurdian and I think Sakkra does too. I haven't logged in in a while, but I've still got my account active.
Maradon!
posted 08-18-2006 04:11:48 PM
It's downloading a patch that's TWO GIGS!?
Dr. Gee
Say it Loud, Say it Plowed!
posted 08-18-2006 04:17:45 PM
That's probably the patching progress bar. It downloads then shows a seperate bar for looking over the whole game. You'll notice it's saying something like 2-3mB/second or it actually is a two gig patch and I'm sorry .
Mightion Defensor
posted 08-18-2006 04:18:24 PM
quote:
Maradon! wrote their words upon the rocks;
It's downloading a patch that's TWO GIGS!?

Much of that is the CoH half of the game, if you didn't have CoH installed before.

But yeah, issue 7 was pretty Xbox huge.

My account is still active on Guardian, but even standing in a freezer for several hours wouldn't turn me into a cool kid.

Cadga 2.0
Pancake
posted 08-18-2006 04:19:07 PM
I wanna play but I dont wanna pay for a game I wont like
Professional Heretic/Sinner/Linux User
"Every Breath leaves me one less to my last"
Maradon!
posted 08-18-2006 04:38:31 PM
Ah, sweet, you can log into your CoH characters without even installing anything else.

Now if I can just remember all my key bindings.

Maradon!
posted 08-18-2006 04:43:04 PM
So what's a fun, damaging, rogue-esque villain archetype to play?
Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 08-18-2006 04:45:51 PM
quote:
We were all impressed when Maradon! wrote:

Having not played CoV ever: Ninjitsu Stalker?

Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Pouncer of the 12th degree!
"Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"
Willias
Pancake
posted 08-18-2006 04:54:26 PM
Mastermind = Pet master. Controls up to 6 pets at one time. Mainly a support character. Very unique class.

Stalker = Assassin. Can kill stuff really fast, but has little to no defense, and very little health. Probably the most group dependant character in CoV, but once in a group is possibly one of the more powerful. Special ability as a stalker is to have a guaranteed chance to crit when attacking from Stealth.

Brute = Tanker/Scrapper combo. Takes hits a bit better than a scrapper can, but once it's rage is maxed out, easily does MORE damage than a scrapper can. (Starts off with damage a bit better than Tanker damage, then builds up fast as rage builds up.)

Corruptor = Support and Damage. Corruptors get heals and buffs as secondary abilites, and then Blaster powers for their primaries. As enemies lose health, Corruptors get stronger and get increasingly higher chances to crit on enemies, with near guaranteed chance to crit when an enemy is near death.

Dominator = Controller with an attitude. Still mainly relies on powers to hold opponents at bay, but instead of support powers, gets Blaster-esque damage powers. Special ability is Domination, which you can activate after powering up your Dominate bar enough by doing damage and locking down enemies. Once Domination is activated, you get a huge damage boost, and your control powers become much stronger and harder to resist.

Willias
Pancake
posted 08-18-2006 04:55:52 PM
quote:
Katrinity had this to say about Matthew Broderick:
Having not played CoV ever: Ninjitsu Stalker?

If you're going to go Stalker, don't grab Ninjitsu unless you like running away a lot. Some of the other power types allow a Stalker to stay in combat longer, while Ninjitsu has a lot of powers that allow you to control opponents and such, if I remember correctly.

You'd probably be better off going Super Reflexes.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 08-18-2006 05:00:07 PM
Pet Master/Force Fields is fun. Evil Deth has that arrangement. He does quite a bit of damage and wreaks quite a bit of havoc.
Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Willias
Pancake
posted 08-18-2006 05:00:11 PM
When in doubt...

Break out the Character Builder.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 08-18-2006 05:04:13 PM
You could even have the upgrading undead horde of doom.
Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Pancake
posted 08-18-2006 05:06:08 PM
=( I feel outnumbered, as I have yet to get CoV, but I have CoH again.
Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 08-18-2006 05:08:17 PM
My chars are all lowbies still.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Nina
posted 08-18-2006 05:09:14 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about dark elf butts:

Brute.

Stalkers are pretty much one trick ponies, once you have your assassin's strike in, you just can't take a hit and end up worse than the Brute smashing things up nonstop.

Brutes do have the unfortunate side effect of being a prime target in PVP, cause if you live long enough to fill your Fury bar, then those silly heroes are as good as dead.

Nina fucked around with this message on 08-18-2006 at 05:11 PM.

Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 08-18-2006 07:36:56 PM
Guardian is where the cool kids play.
Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 08-18-2006 07:47:24 PM
quote:
This one time, at Maradon! camp:

Well, pretty much every class does good damage, compared to CoH counterparts, with the exception of Dominators. Doms are pretty weak at the moment.

Brutes are fun, but dangerous, as you get into a "SMASH!" mentality. Despite the fact that you have the best HP and defenses of villains, a lot of brutes get killed because they rush at the next group without healing and resting so that their fury bar doesn't go down.

Corruptors are ranged and can be pure offense, debuff, buff, or anything in between, depending on your secondary powerset. You're a bit below blasters in terms of damage, but are much more survivable. For example, /cold offers great slows and recharge debuffs, providing a good deal of damage mitigation, while /thermal is primarily healing and buffs, and /radiation is a mix of heal, buff, debuff, etc.

Masterminds are a pet and support class. Pets are capable of dishing out an impressive amount of damage, and are very useful in that it doesn't really matter if they get killed compared to a teammate. As such, they're useful for taking the first big strike from a group of enemies. Also, they have good support secondaries, though not at the level of corruptors. The big advantage though, is that many buffs can be applied to your pets, making them more attractive when soloing compared to a corruptor.

Doms are pretty much the red-headed stepchild of CoV. They have good control and are useful in groups to lock stuff down, but solo their damage output falls off and isn't enough to supplement the control ability. Also, they usually have pretty severe endurance issues. Challenging for sure, but you're more or less relegated to teaming.

Note: I do not play a Stalker. Everything is based on watching and speaking with other stalkers, and from teaming with them.

The only class that's close to rogue is Stalker. You get hide, you get Assassin Strike (more or less backstab equivalent, does 7x normal damage when hidden, yadda yadda), but have a hard time taking hits until you get higher level and bring your defensive powers up to speed.

For terms of effectiveness, most people of the min/max mentality choose Energy Melee as their primary. It's a good set, with lots of damage, stuns, and dual damage (good if enemy has resistance to one damage type). However, I cannot get past how stupid it looks. When active, your hands glow with circular pink energy, which is affectionately known as "The Pink Pom-Poms of Doom". I like Ninja Blade myself, as it offers a great balance of speed, damage, recharge, etc, and has some nifty utility powers.

Maradon!
posted 08-18-2006 10:23:06 PM
quote:
Peanut butter ass Shaq Ctrl-Alt-Del booooze lime pole over bench lick:
=( I feel outnumbered, as I have yet to get CoV, but I have CoH again.

You're looking at a $19 total investment to get CoV

Maradon!
posted 08-19-2006 03:45:31 AM
Is it just the starting areas, or is this game populated by the absolute dregs of humanity?

I said something goofy on my new corruptor (Your Neighbor) and some guy just says "U WANNA GO, LITTLE MAN?"

I feel like I'm in a bar on a friday night in a college town, and the shittiest frat on campus is packing the place, and the RP'ers are frequently worse than the belligerent adolescents.

Oh, that was an NPC. hah, boy do I feel like a tool.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 08-19-2006 at 03:54 AM.

Maradon!
posted 08-19-2006 03:48:54 AM
I got a message saying "Gladiator unlocked"

what the fuck does that mean

Led
*kaboom*
posted 08-19-2006 04:40:21 AM
What server are you playing on, Mara, and what is your name? I am willing to restart (omg I am level 5) so I can play with someone I know.
Sentow, Maybe
Pancake
posted 08-19-2006 05:07:00 AM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about pies:
I got a message saying "Gladiator unlocked"

what the fuck does that mean

It's a special kind of badge that lets you use NPC "gladiators" in the PvP arenas.

Once more into the breach, my friends, once more. We'll close the wall with our dead. In peace, nothing so becomes a man as modesty and humility, but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with rage and lend the eye a terrible aspect.
KaLourin
Illanae's Stooge!
posted 08-19-2006 05:59:44 AM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Tron:
Is it just the starting areas, or is this game populated by the absolute dregs of humanity?

I said something goofy on my new corruptor (Your Neighbor) and some guy just says "U WANNA GO, LITTLE MAN?"

I feel like I'm in a bar on a friday night in a college town, and the shittiest frat on campus is packing the place, and the RP'ers are frequently worse than the belligerent adolescents.

Oh, that was an NPC. hah, boy do I feel like a tool.

not too far from the truth really though. Mercy Island is like comedy frikkin central on the broadcast channel. The dregs are about en masse. The threats of "dont make me get my <insert higher level AT>" are the best.

yeah... like what can they possibly do to someone by getting their lv 16 stalker. KS? onoes..

Dont make me slap you so hard your bucket spins around, and around,and stops sideways,thus confusing you, and making you run about London wearing your bucket, a g-string, and carrying a stick,smacking the ground while yelling "MAGICALLY DELICIOUS! MAGICALLY FUCKING DELICIOUS!"- {Tal} to Mortious
Hebrew 9:3- 'And the Lord said unto me, "Dude, there isn't a K in covenant."' - Snoota

This beer drops trou and fucks your mouth with pure hoppy goodness. - Karnaj
Maradon!
posted 08-19-2006 11:27:03 AM
I'm on guardian. That was apparently the EC server back in the day because all my old characters are there as well.
Maradon!
posted 08-19-2006 12:26:47 PM
As usual, it's way too easy to get caught up just making characters.

My ninja sword stalker, The Friendly Mr. Lunch

I imagine stalkers get harder once a sneak attack no longer 1-shots things.

Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 08-19-2006 12:37:22 PM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Maradon!!
As usual, it's way too easy to get caught up just making characters.

My ninja sword stalker, The Friendly Mr. Lunch

[xIMG]http://mysite.verizon.net/maradon/stalker_lunch.jpg[/IMG]

I imagine stalkers get harder once a sneak attack no longer 1-shots things.

Actually, stalkers get easier the higher level you get. For example, once you get build up, then you can 1-shot LTs with BU + AS. With placate, you can BU + AS, placate, then dish out a heavy damage normal attack for a crit, or wait a little bit and do placate + AS, dropping bosses easily.

The problem is that stalkers don't really do well against AV/GM/Hero mobs. Despite the fact they do tremendous burst damage, their overall DPS is usually lacking in long fights, and most big mobs have melee AOEs which will usually 1-shot a stalker.

Edit: AS = Assassin Strike, BU = Build Up, AV = Arch-villain, GM = Giant Monster. Hero in this instance refers to the mob tier of hero, which is the equivalent to AV.

Sakkra fucked around with this message on 08-19-2006 at 12:39 PM.

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 08-19-2006 12:47:25 PM
I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piƱa coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Maradon!
posted 08-19-2006 01:14:20 PM
My Fire/Dark Miasma corruptor, Your Neighbor

I think I'm going to actually spend some time leveling him.

Maradon!
posted 08-19-2006 01:21:45 PM
How do you tell an ability to auto-attack again?
Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 08-19-2006 01:23:05 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about pies:
How do you tell an ability to auto-attack again?

Ctrl+Click the icon.

However, interruptible attacks can't be set to auto.

Aury
My hair is a deadly weapon
posted 08-19-2006 06:50:57 PM
I'm on Guardian. Dark Wolphe, 13 corr lft
Maradon!
posted 08-19-2006 07:16:37 PM
quote:
x--AuryO-('-'Q) :
Dark Wolphe

Do you ever get an MMO and consider, even momentarily, not making a furry?

Led
*kaboom*
posted 08-19-2006 07:55:43 PM
Grargh, it is nearly impossible for me to play My connection is so incredibly crappy I keep teleporting everywhere. I have plenty of throughput on my connection (can download stuff at up to 90k) but nothing I do can get rid of the lossiness >.<
Maradon!
posted 08-19-2006 08:00:46 PM
Grargh!
Aury
My hair is a deadly weapon
posted 08-19-2006 09:37:15 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about (_|_):
Do you ever get an MMO and consider, even momentarily, not making a furry?

Actually, DW's the only 'furry' type persona I have on there. I have about seven characters that I pay with regularity. DW's just got the easiest name to remember.

Maradon!
posted 08-19-2006 10:16:55 PM
I'm just joshin

Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 08-20-2006 01:30:37 AM
If you plan on being a stalker, I highly recommend Energy Aura.

Stalkers rely quite a bit on burst damage done while hidden. There's 3 ways to hide. First is to activate the ability outside combat. Second is to not attack or be hit for several seconds. The third is to use placate.

Any stalker can wait between combat, or use placate. But defense-based stalkers can frequently avoid attacks enough to hide mid-fight without using Placate.

Just now, while fighting a PPD boss, I pulled off three AS's on him in a row

Led
*kaboom*
posted 08-20-2006 03:53:35 AM
Is anyone else having problems with crazy rubberbanding? My tracerts and netgraphs are showing perfectly normal, but I still bounce back and forth every few seconds
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: