EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: What. The. Fuck. Yo.
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 08-12-2006 02:15:16 AM
http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3152830

quote:
Blizz sez:

Haha hey lets fuck with people that have guilds tailored around 40 man content and give them no reason at all to buy the expansion by limiting raids to 25 men!

This is the dumbest idea ever for Blizzard. Great for smaller guilds, horrible for 40-man raid groups. Forcing them to cut over 20 members of their regular force (most have 45-50 people available but only pull in 40 a night) is a very bad idea. These guilds aren't going to want to keep doing Naxx forever.

Falaanla Marr fucked around with this message on 08-12-2006 at 02:16 AM.

Sean
posted 08-12-2006 02:19:32 AM
It's the same thing Sony did with EQ at the end of PoP, why should Blizzard be any different?

I'd say it's a good idea though, but I've always preferred smaller raids to large ones. I feel like I accomplish more when my efforts have a visible result. Because I don't play a Warrior or Healer. Well, I didn't. I don't play anymore, because Snoota sucks.

Sean fucked around with this message on 08-12-2006 at 02:20 AM.

A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Nina
posted 08-12-2006 02:19:46 AM
Hi.

Run 2 instances.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 08-12-2006 02:23:02 AM
That's actually awesome. I don't see how it harms the larger guilds; now they can just put together multiple raid groups. It actually gives the smaller guilds a fighting chance to get up with the equipment necessary to fight in high-end PvP. Further, it increases the chance of pick-up groups for raids which further increases the opportunities for more equipment for the little guys.

This will probably upset raiders since it will mean a huge dent in honor farming (thought that also looks to be changing for the better in the expansion) and it also upsets the whole "CASUAL PLAYERS DON'T DESERVE EPICS" mentality.

All in all, I'd say it's a great change.

Tyewa Dawnsister
In Poverty
posted 08-12-2006 02:32:42 AM
Greetings,

This is something that is being done for the vast majority of WoW players who are not members of large raiding guilds. Design content to your player base, and believe it or not casual players are that player base.

If anything Blizzard made a mistake in setting up forty man content in the first place, and they are going to attempt to correct the mistake with the expansion. If they created bigger and better forty man content then they would also have to continue to create even more massive amounts of "trival" content for those not in large raiding guilds.

I imagine that Naxx is going to be it for a very long time when it comes to forty man raid instances. I am also of the opinion that the rewards for the ten to twenty-five man content in the expansion will be on par with current forty man content.

Sure some large guilds will break up, or create A and B teams for the new content, and there is nothing wrong with that. They can adapt or move on, Blizzard cannot constantly cater to that small group of players.

"And God said: 'Let there be Satan, so people don't blame everything on me. And let there be lawyers, so people don't blame everything on Satan." - George Burns
Mr. Parcelan
posted 08-12-2006 02:34:13 AM
Tyewa got it right. Dissent among the casual players is rising and Blizzard finally decided not to cater to a small minority of elite players with a lot of time on their hands.
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 08-12-2006 02:35:29 AM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Nina said:
Hi.

Run 2 instances.

Hi.

Guild Drama. My raid group has around 50 regulars. Forcing them to split into two 25-man groups is a very bad idea. One group will end up doing better/progressing faster than the other, causing people in the "B-Team" to be upset that they aren't part of the "A-Team (sans Mr. T, of course)." sure, you could change the groups around each night...but that is a ton of work.

Not to mention, with this out there, guilds will likely start to "favor" certain members. That'll cause guild drama pre-expansion. I mean, to keep the 40-man groups happy, Blizz just needs to push out a new dungeon once every four or five months or so. Why can't they try to include a single one in the expansion?

It isn't as simple as saying to run two instances.

Now, I agree -- this ROCKS for the smaller guilds. Thing is, it should have been like this from the beginning. I'm with Sean -- I like small-group stuff because my efforts have more of an impact. Casual players do deserve epics just as much as non-casuals...but don't kid yourself -- 25 man raids still won't be any more casual than 40-man raids. The hardcore will still get more epics faster. I know casuals that still raid 40-man stuff and get epics too. It only takes a small time committment to raid Molten Core each week. And, if you're casual, you will rack up the loot faster (on a per-run basis) than someone who plays a lot.

Falaanla Marr fucked around with this message on 08-12-2006 at 02:38 AM.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 08-12-2006 02:37:10 AM
I think guild drama is a problem only for people like you.
Willias
Pancake
posted 08-12-2006 02:39:21 AM
I like the sound of this change.

I also like the fact that Honor is being changed from a ranking system to a point-buy system.

I also think it's interesting that BC's dungeons will have multiple difficulty settings.

quote:
Gamespot:

In addition, Burning Crusade's raid dungeons will offer multiple difficulty settings based on your character's level, and may actually offer some replay value after you've finished them. For instance, the rampart section of the Hellfire Citadel dungeon, which lies beyond the Dark Portal (the same swirling gate flanked by two menacing statues that appears at the original game's login screen) will be well-suited for players of level 60-62. However, once you've finished the dungeon in your early 60s and climbed all the way to level 70, you'll be able to return to the area, set it to level 70 difficulty, and have a new experience in the same dungeon against tougher monsters who carry more-powerful loot. Currently, Blizzard plans to use the scaled-down raid party size and the multiple difficulty settings only for Burning Crusade's dungeons, though the team is considering the possibility of adding these features to some of the dungeon areas in the original game at some point in the future.

I also like the fact that Blizzard sounds like they're going to be setting up some truly desireable World PvP points.

quote:
Gamespot:
We then jumped to Nagrand, the sprawling, lush, green area we saw earlier at E3. Nagrand will be home not only to PvP arena, but also to a neutral town that will be a flashpoint for Burning Crusade's "open-world PvP." The town, which is built around a series of ravines spanned by ramshackle bridges, will begin as a neutral settlement at first, but can later be captured by either the Horde or Alliance faction. Once the town is captured, it will spawn some tough computer-controlled guards, but it will also let you fight your way into the outskirts, then eventually set up flight towers at the edges of these ravines that you can use to hop onto pre-set flying mounts, then go on bombing runs on the town, pelting the guards and any enemy players with damaging bombs as a first assault before charging in and capturing the settlement's control points, which act like the timed flags in shooters like Battlefield 2--stand near them long enough, and the control point will "convert" to your faction's control.

And I also like this bit:

quote:
1-up:

The long-rumored Shaman ability Bloodlust from previous Warcraft games will be live in Burning Crusade and available to level 70 players. Bloodlust will be a party buff that will increase the speed of melee attacks and reduce cast times (and include the requisite growing animation and beastly howls Lore fiends would expect) for a short duration. The ability's duration and its and its cooldown are still undergoing internal testing.

giggity giggity giggity gooooooo

Oh, and the Blood Elf mount will be a cockatrice, and Draenei will get some elephant demon thingy called an "elekk". And there will be two epic flying mounts, an armored griffon for Alliance, and an armored Wyvern for Horde.

This looks like it'll be a better expansion than I thought it would be.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 08-12-2006 02:40:47 AM
quote:
This one time, at Willias camp:

I also like the fact that Honor is being changed from a ranking system to a point-buy system.

Yes. This may get me to PVP.

And don't get me wrong here -- I'm happy to see Blizz listening to the majority of their customer base. As a part of a larger raid group, though, I don't much like what this is going to do.

I'd like to see Blizz try to put something out for both groups. God knows they pull in enough money, I'm sure they could have a team working on 40-man content and one working on 20-man content.

Falaanla Marr fucked around with this message on 08-12-2006 at 02:48 AM.

Tyewa Dawnsister
In Poverty
posted 08-12-2006 02:49:50 AM
quote:
So quoth Mr. Parcelan:
Tyewa got it right. Dissent among the casual players is rising and Blizzard finally decided not to cater to a small minority of elite players with a lot of time on their hands.

What makes this even better is that instances like Molten Core and to a lesser extent Blackwing Lair will become virtual 20-30 man raiding zones with the increased level cap. AQ40 and Naxx will still be difficult enough to be considered forty man content, and may even be made more difficult to keep up with the new level cap.

If anything this is great for big guilds, because doing the content in a twenty person raid challenges personal ability rather than organizational ability. Good players will really shine, instead of just being another warm body who can follow instructions. Time to go on a diet and trim the fat!

"And God said: 'Let there be Satan, so people don't blame everything on me. And let there be lawyers, so people don't blame everything on Satan." - George Burns
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 08-12-2006 02:53:36 AM
quote:
We were all impressed when Tyewa Dawnsister wrote:
If anything this is great for big guilds, because doing the content in a twenty person raid challenges personal ability rather than organizational ability. Good players will really shine, instead of just being another warm body who can follow instructions. Time to go on a diet and trim the fat!

A lot of the big guilds have already trimmed a lot of fat to stay at 50 or so people.

Don't kid yourself -- there will be just as much organization going into the lower-man-requirement stuff as there was in MC/BWL/AQ. And, from what I'm told by certain people, Naxx is just as much a test of personal ability as it is organizational. And the encounters will only test ability until you gear up, then it'll be less and less about that and more about having the right gear for the encounter.

I don't see the whole dynamic of the MMO raid changing, just the amount of people that'll be there.

Anakha
my standards skyrocket when im on my keyboard heh
posted 08-12-2006 02:54:12 AM
quote:
The Paladin class will see a class-defining ability of its own in an ability to pull aggressive creatures off of classes with a "snap-aggro" ability. That ability, Chilton explains as the equivalent of an AOE taunt, but instead of being cast on the enemies, instead, true to the Paladin's role of buffing and supporting players, it is castable buff on a party member. At that point, the mobs that were attacking the party member within an Area of Effect range will then turn and attack the Paladin. It continues to reinforce Blizzard's desire to turn the Paladin into a secondary tank and a healer, instead of the simple healer the class has been relegated to.

Thank you blizzard, for making sure im still a buff bot.

"Buzz Beer, the beer of attainable women!"
"You try balancing a cow on the end of a fencepost to wield it like a club. Thats a physical damn challenge!"
"The only problem i have is too much aggro."
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 08-12-2006 02:59:19 AM
quote:
Anakha had this to say about the Spice Girls:
Thank you blizzard, for making sure im still a buff bot.

No, the buff will likely be a short-term (like 5-10 second deal). More of an interactive "guard" ability than anything else. In an RP sense, it is like the paladin throwing himself at the mob before it can chop the caster in half.

It sounds like it will make the paladin more of a defender type class but not make them more of a buff-bot.

Anakha
my standards skyrocket when im on my keyboard heh
posted 08-12-2006 03:00:56 AM
And now you realize that that buff will be the new paladin job in raids? Yay, i get to protect the casters! woot Woot! Its so great since they give me all this SPELL DAMAGE GEAR!
"Buzz Beer, the beer of attainable women!"
"You try balancing a cow on the end of a fencepost to wield it like a club. Thats a physical damn challenge!"
"The only problem i have is too much aggro."
Mr. Parcelan
posted 08-12-2006 03:03:18 AM
quote:
Anakha stopped beating up furries long enough to write:
And now you realize that that buff will be the new paladin job in raids? Yay, i get to protect the casters! woot Woot! Its so great since they give me all this SPELL DAMAGE GEAR!

You could be a shaman.

Shut the fuck up.

Tyewa Dawnsister
In Poverty
posted 08-12-2006 03:04:49 AM
quote:
Falaanla Marr had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
A lot of the big guilds have already trimmed a lot of fat to stay at 50 or so people.

Don't kid yourself -- there will be just as much organization going into the lower-man-requirement stuff as there was in MC/BWL/AQ. And, from what I'm told by certain people, Naxx is just as much a test of personal ability as it is organizational. And the encounters will only test ability until you gear up, then it'll be less and less about that and more about having the right gear for the encounter.

I don't see the whole dynamic of the MMO raid changing, just the amount of people that'll be there.

I do not see this from my stand point, in AQ40 and beyond yes you have to be both organized and good, but BWL? MC? No not really. I have been in what amounts to pugs in both zones and have cleared both (excluding Nef) in said pugs. It was simply a matter of doing what you were told to do and those around you doing what they were told to do. The ability of the leader to organize the raid was more important than anything else.

For content like AQ20 or to a lesser extent ZG initiative and adaptability are paramount. This is amplified if you are doing the content without being "overgeared" for it. Doing AQ20 or ZG in dungeon or .5 gear is a vastly different experience than going in with full BWL gear. Yes you still need a good leader, but personal excellence is not only more noticeable but has a far greater impact.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 08-12-2006 03:11:30 AM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when Anakha said:

Yeah, because you can't do anything beyond casting the spell on casters.

I mean, shit. How do you think the prot tanks feel? All they do is run up and taunt the mob. That's their only job in the raid! And they get all those nice high damage two-handed weapons!

quote:
Tyewa Dawnsister's account was hax0red to write:
words

Skill gets thrown out the window in BWL and MC when you have a ton of nice gear. It only truly takes skill the first few times. Doing BWL or MC in greens and blues is a vastly different experience than in purples

Having lower end gear will make the raid require more skill, no matter the zone. Having higher end gear allows for more mistakes and less of a requirement for precision. And I've been on both ends of the stick -- I've been with a guild that took 5-6 hours to clear through Domo in MC (over two days) and one that can blow through it in just under 2 hours. The 5-6 hours took far more skill and more paying attention because we had far less room for error.

I'm sure AQ40 will get to the point one day when people will just breeze through it. Hell, the group i'm with doesn't even stop on anything through the Twin Emps. While some of the encounters require us to do more than just sit there and tank while others DPS, it still really boils down to people being in the right place and doing what they are told.

Note: PvP is an exception to the rule here -- while having nice gear will make things easier, someone skilled WILL trump someone in nice gear but without much skill nine out of ten times.

Falaanla Marr fucked around with this message on 08-12-2006 at 03:15 AM.

Skaw
posted 08-12-2006 03:51:12 AM
Remember, Casual Players are paying majority of the bills. You pay the same monthly, but Blizzard(and other MMO companies) makes more net gains off Casual Players, so they're going to usually try to get them to stick around longer than the hardcore player.
Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 08-12-2006 04:00:25 AM
We're also not including the announcement Bliz made of having a shitload of instances being released along with the expansion. Since there won't be much way to know about which instance to run through first, guilds can easily break up into 2 groups of 25 people and try different ones or break up the groups based on the gear they've already got.

Let the loot-crazy-people not forget: They will almost assuredly not lower the average drop rate of 2-4 good items per boss. 15 less people per raid means more of a chance for everyone to pick something up.

My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 08-12-2006 04:03:19 AM
quote:
Skaw wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
Remember, Casual Players are paying majority of the bills. You pay the same monthly, but Blizzard(and other MMO companies) makes more net gains off Casual Players, so they're going to usually try to get them to stick around longer than the hardcore player.

lawlz i never knew that thanks for telling me.

Seriously, though -- the majority you speak of probably never even raids and I'd be willing to bet they'll get more use out of the PvP stuff than they would out of the 25 man dungeons.

That, or they aren't even near the level for the expansion anyways.

The 25-man raid crowd is a sizable chunk. And yes, most likely a larger one than the 40-man raid chunk. But leaving one group out (and one that isn't tiny in the least) with the expansion still isn't the best of ideas. Unless Blizzard NEVER EVER plans to release a 40-man dungeon again -- if that is the case, the changeover will suck but will be dealt with and then things iwll smooth out.

I just highly doubt Blizzard will stick with only 25-man stuff for the rest of the time.

With all this, I'm curious as to how people around here define Hardcore and Casual. to me, casual has always represented the player that can't commit a couple hour stretch to the game -- he can only play for 30 minutes here and 30 minutes there. the hardcore player plays for longer stretches. By this definition, casual players really don't raid -- there are just more-hardcore and less-hardcore players out there.

Falaanla Marr fucked around with this message on 08-12-2006 at 04:06 AM.

Addy
posted 08-12-2006 05:50:24 AM
As a person of a 50ish person raiding guild that is decently progressed, it's a bit frustrating to hear this.

In a way it's good, I personally enjoy 20 mans over 40 mans too, but that was till Naxx came out. They seriously got it right there, and it's a little confusing when they use the fact that they can make encounters based more on individual skills with 25 man raid groups when they already do it now.

C'thun: Phase 1 requires precise spacing and knowing when to move by 40.
Anub'Rekhan: Despite being probably the easiest encounter in Naxxramas, it still has little room for error. If you don't watch yourself you die, and when you die you spawn fun corpse scarabs which add up pretty fast and wreck a raid group.
Patchwerk: Ultimate test for your healers--have to heal a tank from low HP to full within 3-4 seconds for seven minutes. If your healer is a touch slow, grats, you pretty much caused a wipe.
Heigan: The "DDR" encounter; people have to know when to move to avoid the environmental damage (slime erupts from the ground similar to Ony phase 3 in different areas of the room), turning this fight into a whacky dance routine. Oh yeah, the gauntlet is the worst yet.
Thaddius: Infamous encounter thanks to lag. Requires 40 people to be paying attention to where they are standing due to the debuff Thaddius puts on your group. If you have the wrong debuff, grats! You just dealt 2k damage to everyone around you with the opposite debuff. Add that on top of the nasty chain lightning he does, it can own a raid pretty quick.
Gothik: Probably the fight that requires some of the most coordination (ignoring four horsemen, zero experience with them). Raid is essentially split up into two raid groups and you deal with awesome add zerg which puts Nefarian Phase 1 and Razorgore to shame. One side kills adds, it spawns some on the other side. One side requires precise crowd control while the other needs sick DPS. If both sides aren't communicating properly you're gonna end up getting yourself overwhelmed and killed.

Anyway, guilds will adjust to this overtime, the leveling to 70 will weed out people easily. However it is still going to suck and I am not looking forward to the drama that is going to happen. You are either going to have to deal with the A and B Team which is stupid (there is no chance people are going to want to split up their best players, they are going to want to raid together), since you lose out on the ability to swap people out and you get a ton of hurt feelings. Or you /gremove the weak links and still have to sit out 5-10 real good players.

The worst part of this is going to be pre-expansion, I don't even want to imagine some of the threads that are gonna happen on private guild discussions. Oh well, didn't EQ go through this around GoD time? We'll adjust, just not looking forward to the short-term stuff >_<

BTW--paladins already have the "protect the caster" job. Ever heard of BoP?

EDIT: The smaller cap is going to make it harder for players to get into the top raiding guilds on their servers, since the credentials for joining have just shot up by a lot. It does, however, let more casual players form up and hit a dungeon without having to find 15 more randoms. But don't fool yourself into thinking the encounters are going to be like AQ20 or ZG, they're still going to be tough as heck and will require good gear and time (thanks consumables).

Addy fucked around with this message on 08-12-2006 at 05:56 AM.

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 08-12-2006 07:21:58 AM
Good news.

Never ever liked huge raids.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Talonus
Loner
posted 08-12-2006 07:38:07 AM
My 2 cents here. While requiring less people will allow for smaller guilds, it doesn't mean the raids will be any easier; there will simply be less loot in general, less margin for error, and more focus on taking certain classes. Its not like Blizzard has tried to make things easier in the past. This doesn't necessarily mean the high-end raids will accomodate casual players anymore than it does now.

That said, good idea on Blizzard's part for finally moving away from an end-game tuned towards larger uber guilds into a (possibly) more casual friendly end-game. I've never understood why they continually catered post-60 towards the elite, while pre-60 was so casual friendly. This may help to correct this, but considering Blizzard's history with WoW I'm not exactly holding my breath.

I only wish I could see the drama on guild forums concerning this. Oh how funny the drama must be.

Willias
Pancake
posted 08-12-2006 12:18:46 PM
quote:
Talonus's unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:
My 2 cents here. While requiring less people will allow for smaller guilds, it doesn't mean the raids will be any easier; there will simply be less loot in general, less margin for error, and more focus on taking certain classes. Its not like Blizzard has tried to make things easier in the past. This doesn't necessarily mean the high-end raids will accomodate casual players anymore than it does now.

The fact that they'll be extremely difficult 25 man encounters is the best part, though I don't see how it's going to cause there to be less loot in general.

Willias fucked around with this message on 08-12-2006 at 12:19 PM.

Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 08-12-2006 02:57:53 PM
quote:
Falaanla Marr had this to say about (_|_):

My guild is having to rebuild after a rather noticible chunk of our upper-end people left guild/game/server so we're being forced into recruit mode. Sadly instead of recruiting enough people to have 1 or 2 'spare' per class the current guild leadership wants to have like 5 spare. IMO not a great decision (although I think doing Razorgore with 11 Rogues would be funny) because it's going to be harder to gear everyone.

To tell you how fucked up things are, I've been made the Rogue Class Leader at this point. The old CL went on vacation and left me in charge, but he's back now and I'm getting the impression that he's on the verge of quitting the game.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 08-12-2006 03:28:51 PM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when Random Insanity Generator said:
words

That depends -- does your guild require any sort of attendance for people? If not, having a few extra is good. It all depends on the attendance of those that play the class and their performance -- if there are 11 rogues but only 4 or 5 show up regularly, it can work out.

Take the group I'm with as an example. We have 4 warlocks -- all of us are there for pretty much every raid. The only reason I'm even trying to help us find a 5th is so we can have the occasional day off.

But we have other classes without regular attendance of some key players -- they'd need more overall to fill out those spots on the raid.

Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 08-12-2006 04:33:37 PM
quote:
Falaanla Marr had this to say about Knight Rider:
That depends -- does your guild require any sort of attendance for people? If not, having a few extra is good. It all depends on the attendance of those that play the class and their performance -- if there are 11 rogues but only 4 or 5 show up regularly, it can work out.

Take the group I'm with as an example. We have 4 warlocks -- all of us are there for pretty much every raid. The only reason I'm even trying to help us find a 5th is so we can have the occasional day off.

But we have other classes without regular attendance of some key players -- they'd need more overall to fill out those spots on the raid.

I'm supposed to fill 6 slots with Rogues. We have (assuming none quit on me) 7 in the guild right now (8 technically, but the CL who may be quitting has 2) so I can fill our spots and we've been having good attendance lately. Part of what 'forced' the GM to tell me to recruit was the CL was on vacation, one Rogue was thrown out of the guild by me (major rule violations), and one of the Trial Members we had quit dropping me to 5 total. I'd feel ok carrying 7 or 8 but he's wanting me to pack 10 to 12 total and right now I don't feel that's in the better interests of the guild. I technically *HAVE* to go every raid as the CL. If the attendance keeps up I'm put in the position of either telling people they can't go ("you don't like me! *wah!*") or we have to roll for spots which is just stupid. We've had 4 Rogues go 8/8 Bloodfang and all 4 have left. Right now I'm the best geared Rogue (well, the CL and I both are, but he's Dagger and I'm Swords) and I'm in 5/8 Bloodfang. I have Raiders who are still in partial bits of Shadowcraft/Darkmantle. I have 2 Recruits who haven't even completed Shadowcraft. I need to get these people geared up if we expect to put all of BWL back on farm stats and start working on Naxx. How can I create a good Rogue Corps if I've got raiders who (1) Don't know fights and (2) Have shit gear because I can't get them in on the necessary runs to get the gear?

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 08-12-2006 04:45:16 PM
Yayyy we don't have to depend on a raid alliance anymore
Flea
Pancake
posted 08-12-2006 04:46:51 PM
The change is stupid. large guilds tuned to current 40 man content will have to cut fat in order to tune it towards 25 man content. Those 15 will most likely quit the game. I play this game to raid, if I'm cut because they decide to only take the 4 protection of our 7 active warriors and cut the other 3, I'm most likely done with this game.
Talonus
Loner
posted 08-12-2006 06:03:41 PM
quote:
Willias enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:
The fact that they'll be extremely difficult 25 man encounters is the best part, though I don't see how it's going to cause there to be less loot in general.

I worded that badly; I meant less worthwhile loot. In short, they're obviously not going to give as much good loot per mob as they would a 40 man. You can't get rid of trash or unneeded loot, so each trash or unneeded item will matter more in the scheme of things. Thus, you'll get less worthwhile loot per mob in general than in a 40 man.

Willias
Pancake
posted 08-12-2006 07:14:45 PM
quote:
We were all impressed when Flea wrote:
The change is stupid. large guilds tuned to current 40 man content will have to cut fat in order to tune it towards 25 man content. Those 15 will most likely quit the game. I play this game to raid, if I'm cut because they decide to only take the 4 protection of our 7 active warriors and cut the other 3, I'm most likely done with this game.

IMO, if your guild does that then it's led by soulless jackasses that have no intention of playing the game other than to be the UBERST DOODZ EVAR.

Seriously, is it that bad to get 10 more members and have two groups raiding?

That, and if a lot of guilds do "cut fat" to shrink their guilds down so that they don't have spare members (oh god), then there's going to be a lot of people looking for raid guilds. I don't see it being too hard to join a new one.

quote:
Anyway, guilds will adjust to this overtime, the leveling to 70 will weed out people easily. However it is still going to suck and I am not looking forward to the drama that is going to happen. You are either going to have to deal with the A and B Team which is stupid (there is no chance people are going to want to split up their best players, they are going to want to raid together), since you lose out on the ability to swap people out and you get a ton of hurt feelings. Or you /gremove the weak links and still have to sit out 5-10 real good players.

I was in a massive guild alliance on Dark Iron that had well over 500 people that were leveling up, and likely looking to raid.

I think they've only gotten to BWL, but they still exist, and raid often. They have over 900 members raiding Molten Core, 700 doing Onyxia, and 100 doing BWL.

If PAA can raid with that many people, have many different raids going at the same time, and stay well organized, I don't see why a small guild can't just say "Hey, we need a few more people to get 2 raids going" and go from there.

quote:
I worded that badly; I meant less worthwhile loot. In short, they're obviously not going to give as much good loot per mob as they would a 40 man. You can't get rid of trash or unneeded loot, so each trash or unneeded item will matter more in the scheme of things. Thus, you'll get less worthwhile loot per mob in general than in a 40 man.

I honestly think we'll have to wait and see before coming to any conclusions on stuff like that.

Willias
Pancake
posted 08-12-2006 07:54:10 PM
Just realized something while in the shower.

Guilds that cut players will have to cut 16 to 18 players so that they can recruit paladins or shaman.

So current tight knit 40 man raid guilds will have two choices: Remove nearly half your guild and recruit a few paladins/shaman, or recruit a few paladins/shaman and a couple other people and run two raids at once.

Willias fucked around with this message on 08-12-2006 at 07:54 PM.

Flea
Pancake
posted 08-12-2006 09:41:55 PM
Actually, we're having people who are already in our guild designated to reroll paladin come expansion and we're going to powerlevel them. So it won't change our numbers.

And really, it's not so much a thing as just recruiting 10 more people. I've ran dual ZG's and dual AQ20's at the same time. One raid will finish a lot earlier than the other if the other even finishes at all. And until zones such as Illidans are on farm status, they will probably have raid timers, so while learing bosses, it's good to have people waiting outside who can be subbed in and out depending on the encounter and what classes are needed. Or you have 2 25 man raids the first night, then the second night you have 15 from the first raid log on and 18 from the second, but they're saved to different instances, so neither can make any progress.

I hate this change.

Tyewa Dawnsister
In Poverty
posted 08-13-2006 02:04:47 AM
quote:
This one time, at Flea camp:

I hate this change.

You are supposed to hate this change, this change is supposed to break up the high end elite guilds. To prevent the creation of "trival" content for consumption of the masses, that is what this is all about.

Oh the drama, look what this is going to do to my uber guild, please it is such a small percentage of players that are going to be "hurt" by this change.

By the way, remind me how Fires of Heaven managed to get a PvE to PvP server transfer arranged. Irony.

Sorry Flea, Hyjal does not really miss FoH much. Even though in my experience most of FoH is good people.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 08-13-2006 02:44:34 AM
quote:
Tyewa Dawnsister had this to say about Reading Rainbow:
You are supposed to hate this change, this change is supposed to break up the high end elite guilds. To prevent the creation of "trival" content for consumption of the masses, that is what this is all about.

Oh the drama, look what this is going to do to my uber guild, please it is such a small percentage of players that are going to be "hurt" by this change.

Yeah, those damn high-end/elite guilds. Just because the percentage of them isn't as high (it is higher than you think), they don't deserve to have fun in 40-man dungeons, something Blizzard led them to believe would keep coming out.

Creating 25-man content that is just as difficult as current 40-man content will NOT allow "the masses" easier access to epic items. Instead of high end elite guilds geared around 40-man instances, high-end elite guilds centered around 25-man instances will form.

Those not in the high-end guilds will always progress slower for varying reasons. Be it the lack of a consistent xx member base, a lack of drive to push through the instances or the lack of desire to spend hundreds of gold in repairs/consumables, they will advance slower.

High end content will always require a time committment. Blizzard isn't really catering to the non high-end player base with this change -- said non high-end players are generally non high-end because they don't want to spend 3-5 hours a day 3-5 days a week raiding, not because they lack numbers.

Scarlet Monastery is the type of dungeon blizzard needs to design more of. Instead of having one massive dungeon with trash respawns, have the dungeon broken up into multiple smaller chunks. Then have a, say, 25 person cap on each of those parts. If they did that, those with less time could take out a chunk in an hour or so while those with more time could take out all four areas with their extra time.

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 08-13-2006 02:50:00 AM
quote:
We were all impressed when Falaanla Marr wrote:
Scarlet Monastery is the type of dungeon blizzard needs to design more of. Instead of having one massive dungeon with trash respawns, have the dungeon broken up into multiple smaller chunks. Then have a, say, 25 person cap on each of those parts. If they did that, those with less time could take out a chunk in an hour or so while those with more time could take out all four areas with their extra time.

You just described hellfire citadel.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 08-13-2006 02:57:53 AM
quote:
Delphi Aegis thought about the meaning of life:
You just described hellfire citadel.

Curious, then, as to how easy this place will be at level 60. If it'll be able to be done in hour long chunks per wing for those that don't want to commit hours a raid to it. Or if they'll have to commit hours to learn the stuff.

The article describes the areas as wings -- I wonder if it actually means Scarlet Monastery style with different zone ins, etc. I also have heard naxx described as having wings (though I've not been yet).

Falaanla Marr fucked around with this message on 08-13-2006 at 02:58 AM.

Tyewa Dawnsister
In Poverty
posted 08-13-2006 03:52:25 AM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Falaanla Marr:
STUFF

This is not about getting purples in the hands of casual players, this is about not having to create two sets of content. At the pace Blizzard was going they were going to need to create two sets of content, one for those raiding end game forty man instances, and another set of "trival" content for everyone else. The new format prevents that from being needed, and manages to maintain the high level of difficulty in the end game. This will mean more content for everyone, and that content entering the game faster since development resources will not be divided.

Of course the end to forty man raids is bad for large end game guilds, but compared to what the other option is it is far better for the game.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 08-13-2006 11:57:11 AM
quote:
This one time, at Tyewa Dawnsister camp:
This is not about getting purples in the hands of casual players, this is about not having to create two sets of content. At the pace Blizzard was going they were going to need to create two sets of content, one for those raiding end game forty man instances, and another set of "trival" content for everyone else. The new format prevents that from being needed, and manages to maintain the high level of difficulty in the end game. This will mean more content for everyone, and that content entering the game faster since development resources will not be divided.

Of course the end to forty man raids is bad for large end game guilds, but compared to what the other option is it is far better for the game.

If by maintain you mean completly dismantal then you are correct.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: