EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Poll: Select...
Author
Topic: [Poll] Let it be known.
Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 05-22-2006 03:11:03 PM
What will your next gen console selection be?
Blackened
posted 05-22-2006 03:13:30 PM

WHAT IS A man

Although my distaste for you as a human being is brobdingnagian,
what I'm about to do isn't personal.
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 05-22-2006 03:19:48 PM
Wii, despite the asstastic name. Though I might get the PS3 eventually, if only for GT5 and the next GTA game.
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Alberd
Pancake
posted 05-22-2006 03:23:27 PM
A Wii for me when it's released, and possibly a 360 for Dead Rising and several other games that look interesting.
To live by the sword is to die by the sword.
Honor those who honor thee, be merciful to those who show thee mercy.
To those who offend thee and thine, show no mercy.
Zaeron
Pancake
posted 05-22-2006 03:26:45 PM
I answered Wii, because I'm not sure which, if either of the other two I'll be purchasing. I would have said Wii and PS3 for sure, but I just don't console game as much as I used to and it's tough to justify $600 just to play a few games.
Blackened
posted 05-22-2006 03:26:52 PM
All right, seriously.

Sony's business plan is so transparent it hurts. They want everyone to watch proprietary Sony movies and listen to proprietary Sony music on proprietary Sony systems using proprietary Sony HDTVs and you may as well just send all your disposable income to Sony right now. They expect the PS3 to be the gateway drug for a new generation of consumers.

Sony is the 400-pound gorilla and they're getting dangerously smug about it. "We're the biggest, we're the baddest, we can do what the hell ever we want and you consumers can CHOKE ON IT" has destroyed many a corporate leader. I don't necessarily want them to fail, but watching raw avarice get smacked down is just so satisfying, you know?

Microsoft doesn't seem to have the whole "take over the world" vibe that Sony's doing (surprising, innit), but they too are going for a total media experience rather than concentrating on one thing. I don't know how good or bad that may be. In most people's experience, "one machine does all" means "one machine that does a lot of things half-assedly." True or not, there's still that taint to it. We'll see how consumers will respond.

Nintendo is a game company what makes games and systems for games. If people flock to the Wii over other systems, it'll be because of the taint thing I just mentioned. I also like their strategy of leapfrogging the hardcore gaming market. I'm reminded of Macarthur's Pacific Island campaign, where the Japanese set up huge fortresses to prevent islands being invaded, and Macarthur just sailed straight past them. Nintendo is poised to make huge lucrative inroads into untapped markets, and all Sony and Microsoft will be able to do is wave as they sail by.

I'll go out on a limb and predict that Nintendo will be the big winner in this round of the Console Wars.

The PS3 and 360 are aimed at the 20-something crowd, with one entertainment center doing one thing at a time. Their specs seem to be almost identical, so barring a breakaway killer game available on only one or the other, there seems to be little incentive for people to buy both. Nintendo, on the other hand, is aimed at families. Mom and Dad will watch a movie in one room on the expensive HDTV, while Junior plays Mario on an old TV in another room. 6-10-year-olds won't really care about about HDTV as long as their games look OK. Though, heaven forbid they get their hands on some of Sony's M rated games. They'll get in one little fight and my Mom got scared and said, "You're moving with your Auntie and Uncle in Bel-Air!" I whistled for a cab and when it came near, the license plate said, 'Fresh' and it had dice in the mirror.

If anything I could say that this cab is rare, but I thought, 'Now, forget it! Yo, holmes, to Bel-Air!' I pulled up to the house around seven or eight, and I yelled to the cabbie, yo ho, smell you later! I looked at my kingdom, I was finally there. To sit on my throne as the Fresh Price of Bel-Air. The real differentiating factors are going to be price and gaming experience. All the reviews I've seen thus far claim that the new Nintendo controller lives up to its hype and then some. While the 360 and PS3 will offer prettier graphics, the basic gameplay will be the same old same old. The Wii seems to offer a quantitatively different experience. Given the prices, I'm guessing most households will settle on 2 consoles - either a 360 or a PS3, and a Wii. That leaves Nintendo with 50% of the market, with Sony and Microsoft splitting the other half.

Of course, I'm aware this is all speculation. I'll be interested to see what popular opinion is on this generation of consoles is a year from now, once all three are on the market.

Edit - spelling.

Blackened fucked around with this message on 05-22-2006 at 03:28 PM.

Although my distaste for you as a human being is brobdingnagian,
what I'm about to do isn't personal.
«Banned»
Not A Winner
posted 05-22-2006 03:28:41 PM
WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

and a ps3 when it drops in price.

[b].sig removed by Mr. Parcelan[/b]
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 05-22-2006 03:34:24 PM
The Wii has a love/hate relationship with my mind. Some fun looking games, but eh...not a LOT of fun looking games.

On the other hand, PS3 frankly doesn't have much to offer me right now. The most profound thing I saw for it was the remake of Warhawk.

I do, however, like the look of a LOT of the games coming out for the 360. They may very well pull out of the faux pas of launching too early if the bevvy of games I'm liking actually do well popularly.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

LeMiere
posted 05-22-2006 03:38:10 PM
I will buy all three.

I will only buy a couple games for each.

It will be a HUGE waste of money. But I'll have my thirteen hours of enjoyment on each console.

(I've had my X-Box for two years and haven't owned a single game.)

Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 05-22-2006 03:38:49 PM
I really want to know who in the forums is touting enough cash to be able to afford all three systems. I mean, outside of Mort I don't recall anyone in the forums being exactly rich...
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 05-22-2006 03:41:56 PM
Don't know enough of the games yet.

In the first year, none of the above, most likely.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
«Banned»
Not A Winner
posted 05-22-2006 03:42:32 PM
They more than likely mean all three eventually, which is probably true for me too, but I won't be getting a 360 for at least a couple years. I know I won't play it that much, but I do want Halo 3 and DDR Universe.
[b].sig removed by Mr. Parcelan[/b]
Blindy.
posted 05-22-2006 03:49:12 PM
I'd like to point out that so far every single person voting is going to buy a Wii.
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 05-22-2006 03:50:13 PM
quote:
And coming in at #1 is Blindy. with "Reply." I'm Casey Casem.
I'd like to point out that so far every single person voting is going to buy a Wii.

Well, Maradon's probably still at work or something.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Blindy.
posted 05-22-2006 03:52:06 PM
quote:
A thousand monkeys at a thousand typewriters couldn't ever match Karnaj:

He's not a person anyway. He's a souless construct of the damned, programmed to vote republican and shoot stuff.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 05-22-2006 04:09:37 PM
Already have a 360, don't plan to buy the others.
To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Kaiote
Shot in the Face
posted 05-22-2006 04:11:20 PM
Where is the "Fuck Consoles" option?
Henry had been killed by a garden gnome.He had fallen off the roof onto that cheerful-looking figure. The gnome was made of concrete. Henry wasn't. - Dean Koontz, Velocity
Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 05-22-2006 04:13:54 PM
quote:
Kaiote obviously shouldn't have said:
Where is the "Fuck Consoles" option?

We don't appreciate your kind here...

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 05-22-2006 04:20:26 PM
quote:
Verily, the chocolate bunny rabbits doth run and play while Mooj gently hums:
I really want to know who in the forums is touting enough cash to be able to afford all three systems. I mean, outside of Mort I don't recall anyone in the forums being exactly rich...

It wouldn't be a stretch for me. . .but neither the PS nor Nintendo gamesets do anything for me.

I think my next toy is going to be a video i-Pod and the thingamabobber that lets you watch the videos on your TV.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

LeMiere
posted 05-22-2006 05:08:41 PM
quote:
Mooj had this to say about Reading Rainbow:

Well, I obviously don't eat, so I get to budget that money towards machines.

Liam
Swims in Erotic Circles
posted 05-22-2006 05:17:51 PM
Anakha
my standards skyrocket when im on my keyboard heh
posted 05-22-2006 05:22:35 PM
I will get a Wii, and play with it. Mostly because nintendo seems to have delightful game ideas. Pick up Chibi-Robo for Gamecube and you'll see what i mean.
"Buzz Beer, the beer of attainable women!"
"You try balancing a cow on the end of a fencepost to wield it like a club. Thats a physical damn challenge!"
"The only problem i have is too much aggro."
New Age Bane
Waste Management Crisis
posted 05-22-2006 05:23:38 PM
quote:
LeMiere wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
Well, I obviously don't eat, so I get to budget that money towards machines.

We all know you whore yourself out to Japanese business men.

On a serious note, Wii is going to be cheap and have all those awesome games from yesteryear, not only Nintendo but also Sega! X-box 360 just doesn't thrill me, and PS3 is way out of my price range.

What am I supposed to in here again? Oh yes something witty and oh so pretty!
BetaTested
Not gay, but loves the cock!
posted 05-22-2006 06:20:36 PM
I'll probably eventually get a PS3. I'm hoping when the PS3 releases though that the 360 price will drop, and I'll snag one. I probably won't get a Wii though. I haven't been entertained by a Nintendo console since the SNES. The N64 had a few moments, but half of them could be enjoyed on my PSX anyway.

Besides, I'll let a buddy buy one, and when I do want to play it I'll just crash his house.

Got Xfire? Join me in the crusade to knock WoW from it's lofty #1 most played Xfire game with Solitare!
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 05-22-2006 06:49:07 PM
None of the above.

Ah love mah PC.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 05-22-2006 06:53:44 PM
Wii on release and I'll make the call between 360 and PS3 in a year or two
nem-x
posted 05-22-2006 07:46:29 PM
El Cuchillo
RETARD! DO NOT FEED!
posted 05-22-2006 08:01:29 PM
Wii, if I buy anything. I may just stick with PC games for the foreseeable future.
Strip Club - Online Comic Reader and Archiver for Linux and Windows (and maybe OSX)
Alidane
Urinary Tract Infection
posted 05-22-2006 08:09:50 PM
I'd need to buy a TV first.
Naj
I asked for a title and didn't get banned!
posted 05-22-2006 08:10:24 PM
I'm buying the Wii as soon as SSB:B comes out.

Nothing on the XBox360 interests me that I can't also pick up for my computer, and nothing on the PS3 interests me enough to pay 600$ for it.

Maradon!
posted 05-22-2006 08:34:26 PM
quote:
Karnajing:

I'm abstaining until I can see how release titles start to shape up. I'm open to the possibility that Nintendo won't fuck up and release predominantly kiddy shit titles like they did with the Gamecube and N64 even though everybody said they wouldn't. God save me for disparaging a company for being exclusively loyal to a demographic that is a decade younger than me. My baseless gut feeling is that they have not learned anything, but you knew that.

Sailing around the "hardcore" market landed them solidly in last place in the previous generation, (even despite the x-box making much smaller market penetration in Japan) which I kinda predicted and was flamed for, but what's new about that.

The PS3 might be a flop but will probably be the most popular console for the same reasons the PS2 was the most popular console - because it's predecessor was the most popular, it attracted the most customers, who in turn attracted the most developers. It takes a lot to fuck up the snowball effect.

I don't buy the line about sony trying to force blue ray down everybody's throats as a part of some huge tinfoil hat conspiracy. Blue ray discs still cost less than an N64 cart ever did, and the PS3 still plays every other existing disc medium except HD-DVD. At 54Gb blue-ray discs have about 40% more capacity than HD-DVD discs anyway, and it's looking like blue-ray discs will only cost a few cents more.

Simply having a preferable product doesn't amount to forcing your product on people, and if Blue-Ray discs aren't preferable to HD-DVD's, simply owning a PS3 won't stop people from not buying blue-ray movies and could even hinder PS3 sales.

Don't forget, folks, 1080i videos and 5.1 audio take up an asinine amount of space. The PS3 will flop if the exclusively blue-ray games are very expensive, but having 54Gb of elbow room for games to spread out in, up from 8gb DVD-9s on the 360 (and, knowing nintendo, probably less than that on the Wii) will probably turn out to be a huge benefit and it seems like it will remain the only proprietary thing about the console. The PS3's popularity is waning with the price tag as it is, and trying to force a bunch of proprietary shit on people for no other reason than because they're $ony brand, will cause the console to flop. I seriously doubt this will happen to an extent that is any greater than what the other consoles will be doing.

If you've actually bothered to read all this and are thinking about starting off a response containing an ad hominem attack and following up with a line-by-line rebuttal of every point I've made that contains little or no factual information but much emotional vitriol, or if your name is Skaw, be forewarned that my only response to your post will be "ROFL"

On second thought the "if your name is skaw" provision is probably redundant.

Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 05-22-2006 08:36:19 PM
I'll be sticking with my PC, thankyouverymuch.
"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 05-22-2006 08:51:40 PM
Lyinar and I could probably swing all three systems. Though the PS3 would be a Team Ka'Bael effort (rather than a "Deth sneaks the game system into the house" effort, or a "Deth blinds Lyinar with the Wii while sneaking the 360 into the house" effort). Meh.
Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Maradon!
posted 05-22-2006 09:04:09 PM
http://revolution.ign.com/articles/673/673799p1.html

quote:
Exact clock rates were not disclosed, but one development source we spoke to had this to say of the Revolution CPU and GPU: "Basically, take a GameCube, double the clock rate of the CPU and GPU and you're done."

Interesting new technology!

Reading the rest of that article really makes the revolution seem a lot like just a second revision of the gamecube with a fancy pants controller thrown in.

I'm starting to wonder if the graphics will be able to rival those of the X-Box, and by that I mean the first X-Box.

Hey! Maybe the games will be foreward compatible with the gamecube and you won't even have to buy one! Oh wait that's right the gamecube can't load full sized discs, so much for that idea.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 05-22-2006 at 09:10 PM.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 05-22-2006 09:13:44 PM
At least watch gameplay trailers of Wii games before you make stupid comments about its graphics capability being less than or equal to the original Xbox
Maradon!
posted 05-22-2006 09:20:30 PM
quote:
Over the mountain, in between the ups and downs, I ran into Kegwen who doth quote:
At least watch gameplay trailers of Wii games before you make stupid comments about its graphics capability being less than or equal to the original Xbox

The excite truck and press montages are partly what I base my tongue-in-cheek ridicule on.

If you care to link me something that you believe would be more impressive I would gladly watch it, but something tells me that I will not see the same thing in it that you do.

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 05-22-2006 09:21:30 PM
The Wii and maybe a PS3 a year or so after it is released. The 360 doesn't really have anything that interests me and both previous Playstation systems had some pain in the ass flaw that fucks the early adopters. The Wii I can at least count on for fantastic 1st party games and a well-built machine.
I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 05-22-2006 09:33:41 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Reading Rainbow:
The excite truck and press montages are partly what I base my tongue-in-cheek ridicule on.

If you care to link me something that you believe would be more impressive I would gladly watch it, but something tells me that I will not see the same thing in it that you do.

Sonic Wildfire is probably the best I've seen thus far, though admittedly it doesn't hold a candle graphics-wise to the Sonic trailers for 360/PS3.

Maradon!
posted 05-22-2006 09:37:00 PM
Oh yeah and no HD on the Wii at all, period. Just now learned that little gem, I just kinda assumed it'd be there since both the 360 and PS3 have it.

Considering that 95% of all American households are predicted to have an HDTV by 2010, less than 3 years after the Wii's debut, that's asking a lot of people to put up with the grey bars.

Sean
posted 05-22-2006 09:44:11 PM
For about thirty replies this was a good thread.
A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: