EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: ATTN: Twentysomethings.
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 05-10-2006 04:34:06 PM
We'll say that this pertains to persons between ages 20 and 25 inclusive.

The question is simple: does it weird you out when you hear about people you went to high school with having a kid? How about 2 or 3 children?

For me, when I hear who's having children, I usually shrug and am not really surprised. One girl from my class is 23 and has a third kid on the way. I'm guessing welfare scam, or really, really poor use of contraception. But again, given who it is, I'm not surprised, but I do find it a little trippy that people my age are becoming parents.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

LeMiere
posted 05-10-2006 04:39:50 PM
It weirds me out when I hear that they're getting married. I just can't see marriage being an option at 19-23. Maybe after that, sure... possibly. Not for me, but sure.

My ex-girlfriend recently had a child with her current boyfriend. -That- was extremely unsettling to hear. See. Ugh.

And then one of my childhood friends recently got married. He's 21. She's 20. I can't identify with the desire.

Aury
My hair is a deadly weapon
posted 05-10-2006 04:50:51 PM
quote:
This one time, at Karnaj camp:
We'll say that this pertains to persons between ages 20 and 25 inclusive.

The question is simple: does it weird you out when you hear about people you went to high school with having a kid? How about 2 or 3 children?

For me, when I hear who's having children, I usually shrug and am not really surprised. One girl from my class is 23 and has a third kid on the way. I'm guessing welfare scam, or really, really poor use of contraception. But again, given who it is, I'm not surprised, but I do find it a little trippy that people my age are becoming parents.

It was trippy at first when I got a myspace and started running into people from school, but now I'm sort of used to it.

The Blob
Approved by Maradon
posted 05-10-2006 04:51:02 PM
I've been out of highschool for 8 years now, married for 5, but my response when I hear about someone having a kid is still the same (even when it's a financially well-off 30-something coworker who has been married and trying to have kids for 12 years):

"Oh shit, dude, that sucks. What are you gonna tell your parents?"

Yeah. I'll be a great parent someday. Pfft.

Hostile Makeover
Evil as chocolate covered thistles
posted 05-10-2006 04:58:55 PM
The very idea of breeding freaks me the hell out. Something about it just feels parasitical and wrong. *twitch*

That being said, my roommate works with a 23 year old who is currently knocked up with her SIXTH kid!

Blackened
posted 05-10-2006 05:06:04 PM
^^^ don't be a liar, you're not younger than 25!

Answer: no

Although my distaste for you as a human being is brobdingnagian,
what I'm about to do isn't personal.
Sean
posted 05-10-2006 05:10:08 PM
God yes.

I do contract work now for a company I used to be full-time with, and there are three other guys at that place my age. 'My age' being actually younger than I (20) am. All three of them are married, two of them both have two kids, and the third's wife is pregnant.

A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 05-10-2006 05:12:42 PM
Not really, but I suppose that's because several girls I went to high school with were popping out their second kid their freshman or sophomore year.
Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Alidane
Urinary Tract Infection
posted 05-10-2006 05:24:35 PM
Jesus, yes. Anyone under 25 with a kid is insane in my eyes.
The Blob
Approved by Maradon
posted 05-10-2006 05:28:08 PM
I never understood the urge to breed. I have friends that can't wait to have kids. I didn't even want the fucking cat (at first, I warmed up after 3 or 4 minutes). I always figured that I have enough responsibilities thrown at me on a daily basis, any more would really fuck up this whole drinking thing I got going on.
Snoota
Now I am become Death, shatterer of worlds
posted 05-10-2006 05:30:47 PM
quote:
The Blob stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:
I never understood the urge to breed.

Yeah, why follow the same mistakes your parents made.

The Blob
Approved by Maradon
posted 05-10-2006 05:36:11 PM
Don't get me wrong, I understand perfectly the urge to fuck.

But, yeah. "Be like your ancestors or not."

We're all DEVO.

Kaglaaz How'ler
Pancake
posted 05-10-2006 06:05:49 PM
quote:
Karnaj was naked while typing this:
I'm guessing welfare scam, or really, really poor use of contraception.

One girl from my graduating class was bragging to my brother about all the welfare money she was getting for her 3 kids, She had one before she graduated and a couple in the few years after graduating. Scary thing was that she was the ugliest thing in the high school and someone was banging her?

A year or so after she bragged about the welfare money and while she was pregnant with number four, Gov. Tommy Thompson and the Wisconsin state legislature passed the W2 program and restricted payments for a maximum of 3 children unless you actually start working to contribute something to society. I'm a bit fuzzy on the details of the reform package, but I cackled with glee thinking of her when the welfare reform went through.

Part of the reform was also to keep welfare fraud down, a number of people from Chicago also had P.O. Boxes in Milwaukee and were drawing welfare from both Illinois and Wisconsin (folks from Milwaukee area were getting P.O. Boxes in Chicago area to do the same) saving both states millions of dollars.

Kaglaaz How'ler fucked around with this message on 05-10-2006 at 06:06 PM.

http://www.bloodfin.net
BetaTested
Not gay, but loves the cock!
posted 05-10-2006 06:24:48 PM
I'm 19, I'm close enough to comment on this crap.

It still weirds me the fuck out to think about people I know getting knocked up/having kids. My ex-girlfriend got married and had a kid within a year of breaking up with me. Really odd feeling. Then again I was almost dumb enough to marry her(was planning to after college, so much for that, lol).

I do not want to have the huge responsibility of having a kid. No way man.

Got Xfire? Join me in the crusade to knock WoW from it's lofty #1 most played Xfire game with Solitare!
Maradon!
posted 05-10-2006 07:15:47 PM
quote:
Peanut butter ass Shaq Xyrra booooze lime pole over bench lick:
The very idea of breeding freaks me the hell out. Something about it just feels parasitical and wrong. *twitch*

While I have no particular urge to reproduce, I've never understood people who try to demonize reproduction by painting a fetus as a "parasite." The comparison is specious and pointless.

My cousin who is four years younger than me had a kid that she now dumps off on any willing babysitter, usually my grandma, at every given opportunity so she can continue living as if she were single.

That was kinda shocking to me, but after that I kinda take it in stride.

What upsets me is when EVERYBODY my age seems to have a kid, spouse, or live-in mate.

BeauChan
Objects in sigpic may be hammier than they appear
posted 05-10-2006 08:58:24 PM
I'm turning 21 in July, and my ex had a baby by his now-fiancee at the tender age of 18, when she was 16. It was her second kid.

My cousin had a kid at the age of 16, and she can't even take care of herself. My grandmother has practically raised the child and he is the worst kid in my family.

Literally.

And he's only 3.

BeauChan fucked around with this message on 05-10-2006 at 08:59 PM.

Endured by EC for over 7 years and counting...
Lechium
With no one to ever know
posted 05-10-2006 09:06:07 PM
I found it really really weird. Like when I went to college and then came back home two years later I saw a bunch of old friends pushing baby carriages.
"The MP checkpoint is not an Imperial Stormtrooper roadblock, so I should not tell them "You don't need to see my identification, these are not the droids you are looking for."
Nicole
The hip-hop-happiest bunny in all of marshmallow woods
posted 05-10-2006 09:33:54 PM
Not so much, no. I got used to seeing people my age with kids in high school.

Though it always was sort of funny to have 17-year-olds nursing their children give me funny looks when I mentioned that I don't plan on having any, ever.

I just spent
my last cent
purchasing this poverty.

Vorbis
Vend-A-Goat
posted 05-10-2006 09:43:38 PM
quote:
Maradon! obviously shouldn't have said:
specious

Did somebody give him a word a day calendar?

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 05-10-2006 09:50:12 PM
I still remember one time I went to Jack in the Box and this one girl I knew since elementry school was working the drive thru and she was pregnant as all hell. The first thing I thought of when I saw her was when we were in health class together and we were watching The Miracle of Life I asked her "Looks like fun, eh?"

Almost put me off my lunch, but then I remembered that was the same time some kid started singing the Magic School Bus theme during the footage of the urethra. I had a good laugh on my way home and enjoyed my bacon ultimate.

I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 05-10-2006 10:05:06 PM
Maradon, just to point out... Parasite is about the right term if you really want to get into it. A fetus takes nutrients from the mother that it needs, regardless of what it can do to the mother. I've seen people who are pregnant get inadequate nutrition and they look like hell, while the baby is still healthy.

I guess you might call it a symbiotic relationship... but that means it would have to have benefits for both parties. As the fetus feeds off of the mother with little to no positive effect on the mother, it cannot exactly be symbiotic. (Unless you count the hopped up immune system.)

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Steven Steve
posted 05-10-2006 10:35:58 PM
Symbiosis with one member benefitting and the other being unaffected is called commensalism, but even so it would only apply if you considered your own bodily organs to be symbiotic.
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Fizodeth
an unflattering title
posted 05-11-2006 12:44:52 AM
I turn 20 in just over 48 hours. Ive been noticing a great deal of people my age with kids around my home town. I saw one girl that had a mustache in high school... had two kids.

Its crazy. It also makes me feel a little better about myself.

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 05-11-2006 01:58:35 AM
Well, while I'm not in the requested age bracket, it weirds me out anyway.
~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Sentow, Maybe
Pancake
posted 05-11-2006 01:59:12 AM
Almost 25er checking in.

If I heard someone I went to school with was first having children now, I would think it's weird only because I knew that person at an age when s/he was the exact opposite of a parental figure.

Hearing that the same someone started having children years ago would blow my mind, however.

Once more into the breach, my friends, once more. We'll close the wall with our dead. In peace, nothing so becomes a man as modesty and humility, but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with rage and lend the eye a terrible aspect.
Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 05-11-2006 02:03:51 AM
23 (Well, will be tomorrow) and it creeps me right the hell out.
Pvednes
Lynched
posted 05-11-2006 02:13:06 AM
Not really. One of my friends is nineteen, and she has six children. After that, all the weird in anyone else having kids just drops clean away.

Pvednes fucked around with this message on 05-11-2006 at 02:14 AM.

Sean
posted 05-11-2006 02:16:17 AM
quote:
Pvednes's unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:
Not really. One of my friends is nineteen, and she has six children. After that, all the weird in anyone else having kids just drops clean away.

Wait, WHAT? 9x6 = 54 = OVER A FIFTH OF HER FUCKING LIFE SPENT PREGNANT

A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Batty
Doesn't Like You. Specifically you.
posted 05-11-2006 02:27:37 AM
One of my friends got married and had a kid. His wife is a bitch too. Barely even friends anymore because if I go to hang out with him, his wife bitches at me until I leave. If he goes anywhere else, she calls him 5 minutes after he gets there telling him to come home. Fuck getting married and having kids in your 20's.
Demos
Pancake
posted 05-11-2006 02:37:28 AM
And people wonder why the rate of divorce is so high.
"Jesus saves, Buddha enlightens, Cthulhu thinks you'll make a nice sandwich."
Pvednes
Lynched
posted 05-11-2006 02:53:26 AM
quote:
Sean said this about your mom:
Wait, WHAT? 9x6 = 54 = OVER A FIFTH OF HER FUCKING LIFE SPENT PREGNANT

She's had a few miscarriages as well...so that's an underestimate.

Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 05-11-2006 02:54:57 AM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Pvednes wrote:
She's had a few miscarriages as well...so that's an underestimate.

Please tell me some are twins.

Pvednes
Lynched
posted 05-11-2006 03:31:48 AM
quote:
Hay guys what's going on in this Sakkra?
Please tell me some are twins.

She's pretty much been pregnant since puberty set in.

The fact that she's still managed to get to university is downright amazing.

Pvednes fucked around with this message on 05-11-2006 at 03:33 AM.

Azymyth
Not gay; just weird
posted 05-11-2006 03:36:44 AM
quote:
How.... Pvednes.... uughhhhhh:
So she started having kids when she was 13 and kept having another every year? WTF? O_o
I suffer from CRS: Can't Remember Shit.

Sig pic done by the very talented SJen!

Peter
Pancake
posted 05-11-2006 06:29:24 AM
quote:
So quoth Pvednes:

Should spend sometime around a prominently Hassidic Jewish community, I remember pulling a checks from a bunch of them and looking at the age on their Diver licenses, most were like 20 and had a whole mob of kids and one in the oven.

Toktuk
Pooh Ogre
Keeper of the Shoulders of Peachis Perching
posted 05-11-2006 11:00:28 AM
quote:
Batty wrote this stupid crap:
One of my friends got married and had a kid. His wife is a bitch too. Barely even friends anymore because if I go to hang out with him, his wife bitches at me until I leave. If he goes anywhere else, she calls him 5 minutes after he gets there telling him to come home. Fuck getting married and having kids in your 20's.

I'm 24. My wife is 24. We have kids. She and my friends get along great. My kids and my friends get along great. Your friend just married a bitch.

-H

Willias
Pancake
posted 05-11-2006 11:29:36 AM
quote:
Nicole said this about your mom:
Not so much, no. I got used to seeing people my age with kids in high school.

Same here, pretty much. Except that I started seeing some friends getting pregnant in middle school.

THAT weirded me out.

Edit: Fuck the word "weird" and it's anti-"i before e except after c" regime.

Willias fucked around with this message on 05-11-2006 at 11:30 AM.

Jajahotep
Vader to Deth's Obi-wan
posted 05-11-2006 11:36:11 AM
Weirds me out just like I am sure it weirded others out that I had my son when I was 20.

There's a girl here at work who is 19 and due in July. She's extremely immature and has no idea what to do with her kid once he's here.

As for people I know.. only couple I know from high school had a baby right afterward. Nobody else seems to be married yet. But it was practically a right of passage at my ex-husband's school to get knocked up shortly after graduation. All of his friends had children within a year of graduating and soon came marriage (and divorce/remarriage). It was a big joke when his baby bro graduated when he'd knock some girl up because his three closest friends were all expecting. Oy.

Led
*kaboom*
posted 05-11-2006 06:16:04 PM
It weirds me out for a bit, then I just end up feeling like I am really missing out
Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 05-11-2006 08:33:49 PM
"Love is blind. Lust is not."
* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
-----------------------------------
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: