EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: ATTN: Twentysomethings.
Monica
I've got an owie on my head :(
posted 05-13-2006 03:00:28 AM
It bothers the shit out of me. One of my best friends who is 20 is getting married in a week, and I am scared to death for her. I think she is rushing it way too much but I am afraid to express that to her because I know she'll get defensive and just want to do it even more. (It's exactly what she's doing to her mom - and her mom even has good reasoning behind trying to talk her out of it, as she had her when she was 16 and knows from personal experience that getting married way young like that is bad.) They've at least been together for like 2 years, though. I still think she's way young, but whatever.

My roommates have been talking about getting hitched come summer. She's 19, he is 24. They've been together a year.

I guess the kids thing doesn't bother me that much, because I got so used to everyone in high school having their own kid. It's the marriage thing that bothers me. My mom was married by like, age 21 and had my brother by 22. I recently found out that they'd only been together like, maybe a little over a year when they got married.

I cannot imagine being married to someone within the next 3 years.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 05-13-2006 05:28:24 PM
quote:
Monica had this to say about Matthew Broderick:
It bothers the shit out of me. One of my best friends who is 20 is getting married in a week, and I am scared to death for her. I think she is rushing it way too much but I am afraid to express that to her because I know she'll get defensive and just want to do it even more. (It's exactly what she's doing to her mom - and her mom even has good reasoning behind trying to talk her out of it, as she had her when she was 16 and knows from personal experience that getting married way young like that is bad.) They've at least been together for like 2 years, though. I still think she's way young, but whatever.

My roommates have been talking about getting hitched come summer. She's 19, he is 24. They've been together a year.

I guess the kids thing doesn't bother me that much, because I got so used to everyone in high school having their own kid. It's the marriage thing that bothers me. My mom was married by like, age 21 and had my brother by 22. I recently found out that they'd only been together like, maybe a little over a year when they got married.

I cannot imagine being married to someone within the next 3 years.

Intriguing and, perhaps, a bit telling that the idea of marriage is more disturbing than the idea of children without marriage. Not telling on the personal level, rather, it's something of a sign of the times. A lot of people now fear that whole lifelong commitment notion that marriage represents but they somehow think having children is different.

I guess that seems sort of backwards to me, despite my ranting in that "Roe vs. Wade for Men" thread. From my perspective, raising children is a terrifying prospect and so daunting that I cannot conceive of ever doing it. On the other hand, marriage and commitment are absolutely natural and appealing to me. I cannot fathom why so many people are afraid of it.

Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

leckzilla!
Squeak!
posted 05-14-2006 11:25:45 AM
quote:
How.... Xyrra.... uughhhhhh:
The very idea of breeding freaks me the hell out. Something about it just feels parasitical and wrong. *twitch*

That being said, my roommate works with a 23 year old who is currently knocked up with her SIXTH kid!

Once again Xyrra knocks the nail on the head.

Never actually been there but had a few scares like every woman has and I think "parasitical" is a fitting description. The feeling of having this... thing inside me that'll not only cause an awful lot of grief while it's growing but once it gets out is gonna sap my money, my freedom, completely kill my career and energy is a terrifying concept and so I can't imagine what a woman is thinking when she wants to reproduce.

I think it weirds me out because i'm far too selfish. I have such a lot of stuff to do that I don't think i'll ever have room for it and it suits me just fine.

It does bug me a little that people I went to school with have had children from the age of 16/17. It might be their problem but it annoys me to think that my bloody money goes to support wasters who are capable of working but can't be bothered to lift a finger to get a job.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 05-16-2006 11:12:48 PM
The marriage thing weirds me out more. It makes me realize how old I'm getting. The baby thing I'm neutral on. I had Simon at 19, but my oldest sister had her first at 16 after running off to get married at 15.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Azrael Heavenblade
Damn Dirty Godmoder
posted 05-17-2006 12:47:24 PM
Definitely weirds me out...few people I know of have had kids right here at college. Never kept up with high-school people, but I'm willing to bet there's a bunch of them that got married and have been busy popping out kids.

But hell, my former roommate was disturbed to be an uncle with his sister being just 27. I dunno, I think that if you're having kids this early, you're either very certain about who you're with...or not planning very well. Pretty sure it's the latter.

This makes me a little concerned though as to if there are some people that I know who already have kids...Wonder if I should attend a reunion just to find out?

"The basic tool for manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them." - Philip K. Dick
Monica
I've got an owie on my head :(
posted 05-17-2006 10:24:03 PM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Melpominee!
Intriguing and, perhaps, a bit telling that the idea of marriage is more disturbing than the idea of children without marriage. Not telling on the personal level, rather, it's something of a sign of the times. A lot of people now fear that whole lifelong commitment notion that marriage represents but they somehow think having children is different.

I guess that seems sort of backwards to me, despite my ranting in that "Roe vs. Wade for Men" thread. From my perspective, raising children is a terrifying prospect and so daunting that I cannot conceive of ever doing it. On the other hand, marriage and commitment are absolutely natural and appealing to me. I cannot fathom why so many people are afraid of it.

Well no. I don't mean that having children is any less scary, just that I'm used to my peers being irresponsible dumbshits who don't understand why they should protect themselves. I could never NOT have sex with someone without some kind of protection, yet I know a girl who has only ever used it with 1 of the 3 guys she's slept with, and who knows if that was consistently or not. She's got this "well it won't happen to me" attitude going on and doesn't understand that things like STD's and pregnancy don't discriminate... if you have sex, you might get pregnant or catch something. Dur dur dur.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 05-19-2006 09:17:38 AM
Barebacking it feels about a million and a half times better.

Woops, did I say that?! Wrap it up, kids!

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: