EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Does anyone here play guitar?
Gadani
U
posted 03-07-2006 12:53:40 AM
I want to start playing and I want to know a good way to begin learning.

Any help would be appreciated.

Gadani fucked around with this message on 03-07-2006 at 12:54 AM.

Sean
posted 03-07-2006 12:56:03 AM
Stars in his eyes.
A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 03-07-2006 12:56:44 AM
please god get a teacher
Gadani
U
posted 03-07-2006 12:57:20 AM
why
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 03-07-2006 01:14:58 AM
I could get my friend who is training to teach to expound upon it, but from what I understand the big benefits of getting a teacher vs self-taught are:

actually learning all the theory
having solid technique (this is more important than you might think)
good/appropriate pacing
more motivation to keep up the practice during the week (getting your moneys worth for the lessons)
etc

nem-x
posted 03-07-2006 01:17:02 AM
Learn the basics on your own first, then go to a teacher.
Kaglaaz How'ler
Pancake
posted 03-07-2006 01:23:38 AM
The questions you need to ask yourself are:

1: What style of music / guitar playing?

2: What can I afford for lessons/ equipment?

There's the basic's of guitar that every guitar player needs if you're going to just play an electric or accoustic guitar, Check with your local musical instrument store to find out who the local instructors are and then ask around to find out who is a quality teacher.

The reason I ask about style of music is because there is also Classical Guitar which is considerably different than standard guitar playing. The strings are typically plucked using 4 fingers of your hand (little finger isn't used) with strumming mixed in when needed. It's more intensive training and takes a LONG freaking time to get really good, plus to sound halfway decent you have to spend quite a bit of money to get a really good Classical Guitar. (my best friend's Takamene (sp) classical guitar costs upward of $1500 and some can reach over $10,000) If you've seen the latest SubWay commercial with thier new Bistro Steak Sandwich (yummy!), the guitar music playing in the background sounds like Christopher Parkening, whom I consider the best living example of classical guitarists. The best place to find out about classical guitar is to contact the local college music department and ask who is in the area that can teach classical.

Standard guitar uses plastic or metal picks to do your strumming and picking, the guitars are typically cheaper and more widely available. Also because of the use of many standard chords, the standard/modern form of guitar is relatively easier to learn than classical.

http://www.bloodfin.net
Gadani
U
posted 03-07-2006 01:41:26 AM
I already have an electric guitar and a Marshall stack.

I guess I plan on playing rock music.

Nae
Fun with Chocolate
posted 03-07-2006 02:07:54 AM
My family is a family of musicians. All self-taught. Pretty much everyone can play an instrument, sing, compose music, whatever. There are more than a couple bands in my family.

So when I became a certain age, my father decided it was time for me to learn an instrument and he chose guitar. He had me take lessons. My teacher taught me Classical guitar. I learned arpeggios and how to read music.

I was pretty much ruined in my father's eyes because I couldn't sit down with the rest of the family and "pick and grin". I didn't know how to play by ear. If they were all playing a song in the key of G.. they all just knew what chords went where. I was handicapped by needing a sheet of music in front of my face.

I gave up after 3 years of lessons.

The short of it is, if you can't learn some of it on your own.. don't bother getting lessons. You need the ear. I lost my chance to learn by ear by having to rely upon the sheet music.

Vernaltemptress
Withered and Alone
posted 03-07-2006 02:10:41 AM
*starts singing to the tune of "We don't play guitar" from Chicks on Speed*

Vernaltemptress fucked around with this message on 03-07-2006 at 02:12 AM.

Obamanomics: spend, tax, and borrow.
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 03-07-2006 02:28:38 AM
Learning to play by ear is part of any skilled musician's training and a good teacher will place emphasis on it as well as theory and technique.

Playing by ear/improvising and taking lessons are not mutually exclusive because they're both a part of becoming "good" at your instrument(s)

imo

Kegwen fucked around with this message on 03-07-2006 at 02:29 AM.

Gadani
U
posted 03-07-2006 02:32:36 AM
I can play fairly simple things by ear, but that's about it.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 03-07-2006 03:08:06 AM
Find a teacher, you fat sack of lard.
Parce Looks Like Donkeylips
Tremendous Faggot
posted 03-07-2006 11:16:29 AM
quote:
Nobody really understood why nem-x wrote:
Learn the basics on your own first, then go to a teacher.

imo

Maradon!
posted 03-07-2006 02:12:13 PM
Look if nickelback, drowning pool, and system of a down can make it big by playing the same 3 shitty chords and screaming really loud, then I contend that you don't have to have a teacher to play a guitar.
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 03-07-2006 02:14:40 PM
I play air guitar and the skin flute.
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Kael
Whistlepig
posted 03-07-2006 02:24:04 PM
Ziggy played guitar.

Guitar Hero is good if you want to build up stamina, or if you just want to have fun butchering Bark at the Moon.

The Blob
Approved by Maradon
posted 03-08-2006 02:08:37 PM
I took weekly lessons from a guy for like a year or so, just to get the basics. I wish I would have cared more about scales and modes than in figuring out the 2 chords to each song off of "Nevermind", but hindsight's 20/20, and hey, I was 13 and it was 1992, what are you gonna do?

Anyhow, after that I basically played along with CDs and figured songs out from tabulature (my dad has all the Guitar World magazines cataloged back to like 83). Later on, like in 96-97 when I actually started doing original stuff I was lucky enough to have a decent group of similary interested/influenced and fairly talented friends to jam with and exchange ideas. It worked for me. Then I played in some punk bands and free-jazz/noise stuff so I didn't really know any of the stuff I'd figured out anyhow. Maybe at that point it helped on a subliminal level, but now that I'm trying to do stuff that has more complicated structure and room for little flourishes and earcandy, I really regret not taking the lessons for longer and paying more attention to the actual theory.

Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 03-08-2006 04:37:15 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about the Spice Girls:
Look if nickelback, drowning pool, and system of a down can make it big by playing the same 3 shitty chords and screaming really loud, then I contend that you don't have to have a teacher to play a guitar.

Godsmack.

1 CHORD OVER AND OVER

Sakkra fucked around with this message on 03-08-2006 at 04:37 PM.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 03-08-2006 04:54:07 PM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Maradon!!

perhaps if you want to play well you might want one

Agent A
Underpowered on Purpose
posted 03-09-2006 12:57:45 PM
I taught myself by figuring tabs out. They are easy. Just go find a song and try to read the tab.
"How do you all feel about beastiality with taxidermy? It seems like most people aren't very down with it, in fact, alot of people are only medium down with it. But if you only get to second base, where's the harm, right?"
- Melora Creager
Maradon!
posted 03-09-2006 01:40:29 PM
quote:
Peanut butter ass Shaq Sakkra booooze lime pole over bench lick:
Godsmack.

1 CHORD OVER AND OVER

Yeah but they're wiccan so we have to do the PC thing and let them do whatever the fuck they want without question.

quote:
Kegwening:
perhaps if you want to play well you might want one

Oh, well that's a different story!

Kaiote
Shot in the Face
posted 03-09-2006 03:32:44 PM
quote:
Maradon! stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:
Oh, well that's a different story!

Wicca is less of a religion, and more a phase teenage girls go through.

Henry had been killed by a garden gnome.He had fallen off the roof onto that cheerful-looking figure. The gnome was made of concrete. Henry wasn't. - Dean Koontz, Velocity
Redmage Darkrayver
Moron
posted 03-09-2006 06:23:50 PM
Buy an acoustic and start learning on one of those

That will help build and stretch your hand/finger muscles, and you don't have to plug it into anything.

Acoustic guitars are FAR more easier to push down the strings on the frets than an electric.

But if you already have an electric, then all you really have to do now is either take a few lessons to get started, or buy the self help books and work on your scales 'n such.

Leftover Mog
No, the spelling errors are not intentional
posted 03-09-2006 09:38:24 PM
Holy fuck, Amber and red mage are back! Ambers awesome!
Won't you be my friend

"I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God."
-- George Herbert Walker Bush

The Blob
Approved by Maradon
posted 03-09-2006 09:39:39 PM
I agree with Redmage about how starting on an acoustic is better for strengthening hands, but I think he oppositized the easier-to-push-down-on-strings thing. I started on an acoustic and always had acoustic 12s on it, much thicker and more resistant to pressure than the 9s & 10s (Ernie Ball Hybrid or Skinny Top Fat Bottoms, depending on scale/which guitar I'm putting them on) I use now on my electrics.
Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 03-10-2006 06:55:11 PM
quote:
Nae Model 2000 was programmed to say:

The short of it is, if you can't learn some of it on your own.. don't bother getting lessons. You need the ear. I lost my chance to learn by ear by having to rely upon the sheet music.

Bullshit. "learning by ear" only happens once you've had years of experience and know the instrument as if it were a part of you. I didn't learn how to play by ear with my Saxophone until around my 5th or 6th year of playing it.

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 03-10-2006 06:56:43 PM
quote:
We were all impressed when Kaiote wrote:
Wicca is less of a religion, and more a phase teenage girls go through.

QFT

I'm still snickering.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Nae
Fun with Chocolate
posted 03-10-2006 11:20:17 PM
quote:
Densetsu had this to say about Captain Planet:
Bullshit. "learning by ear" only happens once you've had years of experience and know the instrument as if it were a part of you. I didn't learn how to play by ear with my Saxophone until around my 5th or 6th year of playing it.

Not bullshit. My father, my uncle, and most of my cousins were all self taught. One of my cousins has a hugely popular country band in Phoenix, another writes gospel music that other country singers pay her for. Nobody taught them a thing.

My most famous cousin taught herself to play so well she now has an amusement park named after her.

If you don't have talent, you can't buy it from a teacher.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 03-11-2006 01:21:24 AM
Yes, if you aren't good at something right away, you never will be and no amount of practice or teaching will change that.

Maradon!
posted 03-11-2006 01:44:31 AM
quote:
Naeing:
Not bullshit. My father, my uncle, and most of my cousins were all self taught. One of my cousins has a hugely popular country band in Phoenix, another writes gospel music that other country singers pay her for. Nobody taught them a thing.

My most famous cousin taught herself to play so well she now has an amusement park named after her.

If you don't have talent, you can't buy it from a teacher.

Not everybody learns the same way, and not everybody has talent from day 1. Almost all of the most talented artists in the world weren't worth a damn dime when they started out, and got where they are through endless hard work and practice. Practice, frequently, under tutelage.

In fact, it's unbelievably rare for any human being to show any innate talents at all without serious dedication.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 03-11-2006 at 01:44 AM.

Nae
Fun with Chocolate
posted 03-11-2006 10:25:52 AM
I don't think you are getting my point. Maybe I am not wording it well.

There isn't a guitar teacher made that can teach a guy to learn to play music by ear. That is something that comes naturally.

What I am saying is you have to learn that on your own through practice and goofing around with different pieces of music.

"oh hey.. this sounds good with this song" Whatever.

A teacher can help you fine tune the mechanics of the art, but he can't help you learn to play by ear.

Not everyone was meant to be a guitar hero.

Liam
Swims in Erotic Circles
posted 03-11-2006 11:55:05 AM
SMOKE ON THE WATER

FUCK YEA

Mr. Parcelan
posted 03-11-2006 03:57:27 PM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Liam:
SMOKE ON THE WATER

FUCK YEA

Like fire in the sky.

Brahmin Bloodlust
High Priest of Drysart
posted 03-11-2006 09:51:28 PM
I've been skating around this thread for a while. I've been playing guitar for nearly 17 years now. I never had a lesson in my life and taught myself to read music first from Tabliture (for obvious ease reasons) to true music. I've also have played drums for 6+ years now. Music and rythem run in my blood, (but I can't dance for the life of me... go figure)

My advice, pick up a cheap guitar that sounds good, If you have the money get one acoustic and a beginer strat replica for cheap with a small practice amp.

And just pick at it. If you are serious about it, you'll run up and down the neck making funky noises and off key notes. You'll try to figure out how to play your favorite songs to how figuring out how to keep your guitar in tune.

Don't bounce around from styles too much and stay focused on a handful of songs you like. If you spread yourself across different genres so early, you will get frustrated and drop it like a sack of dead babies.

The only reason I can really remember picking up a guitar, was because I was an avid Iron Maiden and Metallica fan. I picked up a guitar wanting to play the song ONE, which had floored me that such a song was playing on the airwaves, considering all I could hear of them is when my brothers would play the records.

Thats when I became the anomoly, my brother tried to learn guitar, got help from a guitarist that was trained and couldn't learn squat, couldn't even play mary had a little lamb and twinkle twinkle little star (both seem to be a staple of people just learning guitar). For some reason, I just started picking at it untill I found the magic notes. And played the first 4 notes of ONE. From there I was hooked.

But thats just me, I always think someone should play an instrument. Or at least give it a try.

Get a guitar and give it a shot... if it doesn't work out then... well... thats why God made pawnshops.

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 03-11-2006 10:07:48 PM
quote:
How.... Nae.... uughhhhhh:
I don't think you are getting my point. Maybe I am not wording it well.

No, you explained it perfectly well. You weren't good from the start, so you gave up after practically no time of trying it. You don't get good at playing an instrument in just a few years of casual play (Casual is defined differently for different people). Three years is not enough time to be good at playing any instrument. Most people who end up in symphony orchestras or become hugely popular have finished college, playing music all the way through, and many major in it.

Your arguement is, "I had a teacher for 3 years, I sucked, so teachers suck."

All that "learning by ear" does is let you play improvisation. Ever been to a symphony? You know those stands in front of them? Those stands hold sheet music.

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Peter
Pancake
posted 03-11-2006 11:27:01 PM
quote:
Densetsu had this to say about Duck Tales:
You know those stands in front of them? Those stands hold sheet music.

Golllly, I wonder were all those guitar players hid the stands at concerts?

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 03-12-2006 12:04:26 AM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Peter wrote:
Golllly, I wonder were all those guitar players hid the stands at concerts?

Because playing a few different rhythms several times over the course of a set of 2-3 minute songs is tha same as playing through a long, ever-changing symphony.

I had to memorize songs for Marching Band. It's not like it's all that difficult.

Gadani
U
posted 03-12-2006 12:25:36 AM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Densetsu wrote:
Because playing a few different rhythms several times over the course of a set of 2-3 minute songs is tha same as playing through a long, ever-changing symphony.

I had to memorize songs for Marching Band. It's not like it's all that difficult.

(Probably not the best example, but the best I could think of)What about Opeth(Or any progressive music for that matter?)? Their songs are like 13 minutes long with many different variations and they don't have sheet music stands on-stage.

edit:grammar

Gadani fucked around with this message on 03-12-2006 at 12:26 AM.

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 03-12-2006 10:56:26 AM
quote:
How.... Gadani.... uughhhhhh:
(Probably not the best example, but the best I could think of)What about Opeth(Or any progressive music for that matter?)? Their songs are like 13 minutes long with many different variations and they don't have sheet music stands on-stage.

edit:grammar

You're missing the point.

Just because you use sheet music to reference to while playing, does not make you a bad musician. That even the best musicians in the world will have the music in front of them as a reference.

There are many types of music, and many types of musicians. And every single one of them that becomes even remotely "good" has worked very, very hard at it.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: