EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: EQ2 reset issue...
ArchAngel
Not a girl, never will be, no matter how much you may hear differently
posted 12-25-2005 08:12:49 PM
Anybody else have an issue with EQ2 where it seems to randomly reset the computer? If so... how is it fixed?
"What power would hell have if those imprisoned there could not dream of heaven?" -Dream, Sandman
"When the first living thing existed, I was there waiting. When the last living thing dies, my job will be finished. I'll put the chairs on the tables, turn out the lights, and lock the universe behind me as I leave." -Death, Sandman
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot." Dream, Sandman
Full sigpic image
Gadani
U
posted 12-25-2005 08:28:51 PM
quote:
So quoth ArchAngel:
Anybody else have an issue with EQ2 where it seems to randomly reset the computer? If so... how is it fixed?

Yes.

I bought a new computer.

Sorry this isn't much help :/ I asked around and no one could help me either

Gadani fucked around with this message on 12-25-2005 at 08:29 PM.

New Age Bane
Waste Management Crisis
posted 12-25-2005 09:28:24 PM
It could be that its overheating...
What am I supposed to in here again? Oh yes something witty and oh so pretty!
Sean
posted 12-25-2005 09:47:35 PM
Update video and sound drivers.
A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 12-25-2005 09:58:10 PM
Play a game not made by SOE.
Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 12-25-2005 10:09:44 PM
quote:
Mortious said this about your mom:

There's nothing wrong with the game. I play it just fine.

You're starting to slip seriously into Maradon territory.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Led
*kaboom*
posted 12-25-2005 10:14:25 PM
I am going to have to agree with Mort on this. SOE reams every game they have
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 12-25-2005 10:16:04 PM
quote:
Lyinar Ka`Bael said:
There's nothing wrong with the game. I play it just fine.

You're starting to slip seriously into Maradon territory.

Eh, it was explained by myself and 5 or 6 other people in that other thread why SOE is the worst MMORPG developer/publisher in the history of the genre. I don't see why you continue to support them.

Sean
posted 12-25-2005 10:16:40 PM
quote:
We were all impressed when Mortious wrote:
Eh, it was explained by myself and 5 or 6 other people in that other thread why SOE is the worst MMORPG developer/publisher in the history of the genre. I don't see why you continue to support them.

Fangirl optimism.

Willias
Pancake
posted 12-25-2005 10:17:29 PM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Mortious wrote:

I figure that since SOE screwed up SWG, they'll try harder now on EQ2 so that they still make some money.

That being said, whatever has happened in EQ2 since I quit last, it's become a pretty decent game. Like, World of Warcraft, if the game was more difficult.

And it's only getting better, they're removing the "I don't really know what class I want to play yet, wah" part of the game from levels 1 to 19, and allowing you to pick your final class at character creation. They're also revamping the newbie areas (specializing them for race) and revamping the newbie island (changing the island to be unique for Freeport and Qeynos).

It's like they've figured out why people don't like the game, and are trying to change the stuff that people don't like. Now if they could only not have rushed expansion packs like they had in EQ1, where the expansion pack says it will have so-and-so content, and will actually be missing some of that promised content for a while.

Edit: I have one big complaint though: EQ2's art team doesn't know how to fucking make realistic bird models. They all look like plastic figures with flapping wings.
They did manage to figure out how to copy DAoC's flying mobs though.

Willias fucked around with this message on 12-25-2005 at 10:21 PM.

ArchAngel
posted 12-25-2005 10:26:27 PM
Ok. Everybody who intends to post just to bash SoE/EQ/EQ2/whatever in this thread, just keep your mouth shut.

For those who have tried to help, and for those who intend to try, thank you. Still working on the issue.

"What power would hell have if those imprisoned there could not dream of heaven?" -Dream, Sandman
"When the first living thing existed, I was there waiting. When the last living thing dies, my job will be finished. I'll put the chairs on the tables, turn out the lights, and lock the universe behind me as I leave." -Death, Sandman
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot." Dream, Sandman
Full sigpic image
Willias
Pancake
posted 12-25-2005 10:35:47 PM
quote:
ArchAngel had this to say about Knight Rider:
Ok. Everybody who intends to post just to bash SoE/EQ/EQ2/whatever in this thread, just keep your mouth shut.

For those who have tried to help, and for those who intend to try, thank you. Still working on the issue.

I honestly don't know. I put the game in, installed, and it worked.

That being said, the only thing I can think of is updating drivers and such. Knowing what your computer's specs are might help us help you as well.

Willias fucked around with this message on 12-25-2005 at 10:36 PM.

ArchAngel
posted 12-25-2005 10:40:32 PM
Was mainly just curious if it was a common problem and had some sort of simple solution.
Full sigpic image
Sean
posted 12-25-2005 10:42:24 PM
quote:
Did they say why, ArchAngel, why they want you to terminate my command?
Was mainly just curious if it was a common problem and had some sort of simple solution.

It is a common issue among people with oudated drivers and the updating thereof is very simple.

Led
*kaboom*
posted 12-25-2005 10:43:18 PM
I used to have this problem with my computer, except it was not exclusive to any one game. I would be playing and BLAMMO it would randomly reboot. Turned out it was a memory issue... I had my RAM clocked faster than the motherboard could handle. Try retarding your RAM speed or setting it to automatic if it is not already.
ArchAngel
posted 12-25-2005 10:44:34 PM
I have the most recent updates for my drivers and it's still doing it.

Nothing is overheating, by the way.

And it's exclusive to EQ2.

ArchAngel fucked around with this message on 12-25-2005 at 10:45 PM.

Full sigpic image
Willias
Pancake
posted 12-25-2005 10:50:41 PM
Try changing your video card drivers to a supported driver?

Edit: And if all else fails... Check this out.

Willias fucked around with this message on 12-25-2005 at 10:53 PM.

Led
*kaboom*
posted 12-25-2005 10:56:39 PM
quote:
ArchAngel had this to say about (_|_):
I have the most recent updates for my drivers and it's still doing it.

Nothing is overheating, by the way.

And it's exclusive to EQ2.

Check your ram timings anyways, EQ2 may be taxing your system just enough for them to cause a problem.

RAM errors are the the most common (and likely) reason for a computer to just go 'SCREW YOU I REBOOT NOW'. Other errors will just crash the game or maybe just give you a BSOD.

OH! On that note, you can disable your computers automatic rebooting, which I reccomend. It will give you a BSOD instead which you can use to diagnose your problem.

Rightclick on My Computer, hit properties, then go to the Advanced tab. Click on Startup and Recovery. Make sure the 'Automatically restart' button is unchecked. Viola! Next computer malf should give you a BSOD

omg I am such a geek for remembering that off the top of my head lol

Malbi
posted 12-25-2005 11:03:19 PM
the last few drivers for Nvidia cards have caused more problems than they fix for games
kinda frustarting
I Didnt ask to be Secretary of Balloon Doggies, the Balloon Doggies demanded it!
ArchAngel
posted 12-26-2005 12:46:27 AM
Ok, here's the latest. I turned off the auto-reset thing, as Led suggested... and it gave me a nice little error... here's the gist of it:

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

The problem seems to be caused by the following file: nv4_disp.dll

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AERA

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x00000050 (0xAFED1000, 0x00000001, 0xBFC75B44, 0x00000000)
*** nv4_disp.dll - Address BFC75B44 base at BF9D4000, DateStamp 00000000"

Full sigpic image
Sean
posted 12-26-2005 12:48:55 AM
Yeah your video's hosed.

ArchAngel
posted 12-26-2005 12:49:54 AM
Lovely... I'm using what they said would work. Yay.
Full sigpic image
Sean
posted 12-26-2005 01:03:08 AM
You're looking at possible hardware failure, not software.

Memtest86 the hell out of your ram.

ArchAngel
posted 12-26-2005 01:12:30 AM
quote:
Nobody really understood why Sean wrote:
Memtest86 the hell out of your ram.

Not to sound like a complete newbie but... wha?

Full sigpic image
Sean
posted 12-26-2005 01:19:27 AM
http://www.memtest86.com/

You'll need a bootdisk.

ArchAngel
posted 12-26-2005 01:21:50 AM
The fact that this only happens with EQ2 seems a little odd to me...
Full sigpic image
Gadani
U
posted 12-26-2005 01:29:27 AM
Have you tried reinstalling it?
ArchAngel
posted 12-26-2005 01:31:03 AM
quote:
Gadani had this to say about (_|_):
Have you tried reinstalling it?

I must admit... no.

I really didn't want to have to (9 CDs then patch make me a sad fuzzball). But I suppose I'll have to try.

Full sigpic image
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 12-26-2005 01:47:13 AM
I don't want to be nasty to Mort and Led here, but...

Look...I understand SOE apparently popped your onling gaming cherry. I know that, in Mort's case in particular, it then proceeded to whore his heart out to slimy, dickless morons.

...nonetheless, I've never had this mysterious "crash bug" issue with EQ2. The only hardware issue I had tied to EQ2 was, as I recall, tied to a bad motherboard and it crashed with other games. I've never had any real problem with EQ2. Even the vaunted "memory leak" issue" doesn't seem to really happen to me.

I cannot believe I got the one non-botched copy of EQ2 out there.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 12-26-2005 01:53:29 AM
quote:
Willias said:
I figure that since SOE screwed up SWG, they'll try harder now on EQ2 so that they still make some money.

That's the problem though, they haven't shelved SWG as a lost cause because if they do that then there's a good chance they'll never be approached by a major franchise for an MMORPG ever again. So they continue to pour cash into supporting a mostly dead product, akin to bringing it back as a zombie to suck the brains (intelligence) from the people still playing it.

Willias
Pancake
posted 12-26-2005 02:01:15 AM
quote:
From the book of ArchAngel, chapter 3, verse 16:
The fact that this only happens with EQ2 seems a little odd to me...

My dad's older computer would randomly crash in World of Warcraft due to the exact same driver that you're having a problem with.

He had to buy a new computer to get rid of it.

Willias
Pancake
posted 12-26-2005 02:03:55 AM
quote:
Mortious had this to say about Reading Rainbow:
That's the problem though, they haven't shelved SWG as a lost cause because if they do that then there's a good chance they'll never be approached by a major franchise for an MMORPG ever again. So they continue to pour cash into supporting a mostly dead product, akin to bringing it back as a zombie to suck the brains (intelligence) from the people still playing it.

They may still be pooring money into it, but I hope (key word ) that with the massive amount of lost subscriptions due to what they did to SWG, they're also looking at their remaining games and saying, "Hey, we better not fuck these up too."

Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 12-26-2005 02:06:51 AM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when Mortious said:

Because I play the game every single day and I've experienced it on multiple characters for over a year now. It's a solid game and I enjoy it, so I continue to play it.

I fell off playing SWG before the NGE because it got boring. I don't play Diablo II anymore really because it got boring. EQ2 still holds my interest, and I poke my head into EQ now and then.

Now, when was the last time you logged into EQ2 that makes you such an expert on how much it sucks and how awful it plays?

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Willias
Pancake
posted 12-26-2005 02:42:21 AM
EQ2 is actually a pretty decent game. They made a very sucessful combat revamp, and it's actually fun to play now. I, however, am not 50+ and can't speak about Desert of Flames' content, so I can't say how good the first expansion is.

Sony on the other hand... bleh.

Lyinar, Deth: Mort hasn't directly bashed EQ2 as a game, only bashed SOE as a company. He has the right to, since SOE squarely fucked SWG in the ass.

I don't care for SOE too much either, as they have a bad habit of doing stupid stuff to their games. On the other hand, just because a company prefers whoring out money rather than making a good game doesn't mean I'm going to boycott any good games they happen to make.

(Edits caused by brain not fully functioning at 3 AM.)

Willias fucked around with this message on 12-26-2005 at 02:49 AM.

Gadani
U
posted 12-26-2005 02:44:01 AM
quote:
Willias had this to say about Reading Rainbow:
He has the right to, since SOE squarely fucked SWG in the ass.

That was just the SWG developers.

And for the record, I love EQ2

Willias
Pancake
posted 12-26-2005 02:48:14 AM
quote:
Gadani had this to say about Pirotess:
That was just the SWG developers.

Whom happen to be part of SOE.
I also don't see developers making such ground shaking changes to the game without being told to by some higher-up peoples.

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 12-26-2005 02:24:58 PM
quote:
A sleep deprived Mortious stammered:

You should see the TV ads they have running here in the states. One of the lines is "Even advance to the level of Jedi!" .. by clicking a button at character creation. It's like trying to hype a movie everybody knows sucks.

Peter
Pancake
posted 12-26-2005 05:58:18 PM
I have had some Crash to desktop errors and video fuck ups with eq2, but nothing BSOD or restarting the puter
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 12-26-2005 06:25:04 PM
quote:
Willias said:
Lyinar, Deth: Mort hasn't directly bashed EQ2 as a game, only bashed SOE as a company. He has the right to, since SOE squarely fucked SWG in the ass.[/small]

YOU ARE CORRECT GOOD SIR

As a company SOE cares nothing about its customers, it only obeys the almighty $$$.

Malbi
posted 12-26-2005 08:42:44 PM
quote:
Mortious spewed forth this undeniable truth:
YOU ARE CORRECT GOOD SIR

As a company SOE cares nothing about its customers, it only obeys the almighty $$$.

and ths is differant from most companies...how?

I Didnt ask to be Secretary of Balloon Doggies, the Balloon Doggies demanded it!
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: