EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: EQ2 reset issue...
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 12-26-2005 08:46:21 PM
quote:
Malbi said:
and ths is differant from most companies...how?

I wondered which intellectual lightweight would bring this up.

If ALL companies were this way they would have zero consumer trust and no one would ever go shopping ever again. Believe it or not some companies actually care about their customers, but I can see how you might not believe that after playing SOE games for so long.

ZING.

Ruvyen
Cartoon Broccoli Boy
posted 12-26-2005 08:49:10 PM
quote:
Mortious had this to say about Jimmy Carter:

If ALL companies were this way they would have zero consumer trust and no one would ever go shopping ever again. Believe it or not some companies actually care about their customers, but I can see how you might not believe that after playing SOE games for so long.

ZING.

1. What does this have to do with the reset issue ArchAngel's experiencing?
2. I didn't think this was a flame thread.

[EDIT- I am an idiot.]

Ruvyen fucked around with this message on 12-26-2005 at 08:53 PM.

Thief: "I have come to a realisation. Dragons are not real in a general sense, but they may exist in certain specific cases."
Fighter: "Like how quantum mechanics describes how subatomic particles can spontaneously pop into existence at random!"
Thief: "No, that's stupid and stop making up words."
--8-Bit Theater
Batty
Doesn't Like You. Specifically you.
posted 12-26-2005 08:50:23 PM
Ruvyen. I am not the person who started this. I haven't even posted here. What the fuck.
Ruvyen
Cartoon Broccoli Boy
posted 12-26-2005 08:52:36 PM
quote:
Batty had this to say about Pirotess:
Ruvyen. I am not the person who started this. I haven't even posted here. What the fuck.

Whoops! My mistake!

Thief: "I have come to a realisation. Dragons are not real in a general sense, but they may exist in certain specific cases."
Fighter: "Like how quantum mechanics describes how subatomic particles can spontaneously pop into existence at random!"
--8-Bit Theater
Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 12-26-2005 08:58:15 PM
quote:
Willias was listening to Cher while typing:

Lyinar, Deth: Mort hasn't directly bashed EQ2 as a game, only bashed SOE as a company. He has the right to, since SOE squarely fucked SWG in the ass.

[/small]

He's telling someone not to play a game simply because it's made by the same developer, yet has never experienced the game itself. Not to mention it's in a thread asking people who DO play the game for help on getting said game to work. This isn't the first thread he's made a snotty comment about SoE's other games and it's getting tiring.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 12-26-2005 08:58:38 PM
quote:
Ruvyen said:
1. What does this have to do with the reset issue ArchAngel's experiencing?
2. I didn't think this was a flame thread.

[EDIT- I am an idiot.]

He asked how. I answered. It's not like I called him a fucking fucktard and told him to eat shit and die, I know it's not a flame thread. Duh.

Ruvyen
Cartoon Broccoli Boy
posted 12-26-2005 09:04:35 PM
quote:
Mortious spewed forth this undeniable truth:

This kinda sounds like a flame to me. And AA's system isn't resetting solely because it's playing a game made by SOE.

You hate SOE because they fucked up SWG. We get it. Prz to stop shitting up threads.

--8-Bit Theater
Redmage Darkrayver
Moron
posted 12-26-2005 09:11:22 PM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Mortious:
YOU ARE CORRECT GOOD SIR

As a company SOE cares nothing about its customers, it only obeys the almighty $$$.

*nods in agreement*

Honestly, I switched back to EQ for about an hour after playing WoW for 8 months...and I hate it. It's just so much more of a pain to play, controls and such just suck.

Not to mention the guild I was in moved to another server (ex girlfriend I got hooked into EQ ended up GM), and I would have probably had a 1% chance to see anyone I had on my friends lists on ever again.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 12-26-2005 09:12:31 PM
quote:
Mortious stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:

ZING.

Now you're just deluded. You think that people put out these online games just for the sake of making players happy? You think anything in our consumer market capitalist system is made around heart rather than profit? You think that if EVE online or WOW or any of those games weren't turning a profit they'd continue operation? Give me a break.

Even Blizzard modifies product to encourage people to buy product. The lure to Diablo 2 or Starcraft or Warcraft 3 (all playable via free BNet) isn't the solo story. It's playing it online with your friends. There's no way humanly possible to play Diablo 2 and get all of the possible magic items in the random generator. The game was designed with online play as the real draw (after the wild success of Diablo 1's BNet play).

It just so happens that something like that saves players from having to find their own online connection to play with others. But I guarantee you that, especially given that BNet is really just a connection point (IE the game doesn't run on BNet's computers), the potential money they bring in from additional sales on the party game scene is far more than they spend to maintain BNet.

Do you think DAoC is any different? I hear people heralding the coming of Vanguard or whatever...guys...it's Microsoft. Do you not remember Asheron's Call and AC2? AC was so bad off they were GIVING the GAME AWAY in the end so that people would pay them ten bucks a month to play.

Funny. I haven't seen EQ *OR* EQ2 get to that point yet, folks. SOE's only sin as far as product in general was it's handling of SWG. And frankly SWG was fucked to start. Now if you don't like the style of EQ or EQ2, that's fine. I have my beefs with EQ, and I'm far from the mindset that EQ2 is the ideal game I'd like to play if I had it all my way. Likewise, Planetside is a fun game; my biggest problem with it is that I can't easily exit the game. But to claim that all of SOE's games are crap? That's a bit much.

Likewise, Mort, you need to be careful who you call an intellectual lightweight when you are, by default, saying that gaming companies don't want to make money. Malbi's counterpoint to your assertion was valid. He didn't say SOE wasn't out to make money. He didn't say SOE games are without flaw. He merely attacked your patently false assertion that SOE is somehow unique in that all they care about is the bottom line, when in fact all online gaming companies are out for personal enrichment.

An insulting attack on the person doesn't make your assertion any more logical or true.

Likewise, I understand your anger. EQ let you down, EQ2 wasn't your thing, and they ruined a game where you were a god among men. And your anger, my friend, is completely valid. But don't dress your righteous anger up as something it isn't and try to argue that point when it's so obviously wrong. That's just bullshit.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Ruvyen
Cartoon Broccoli Boy
posted 12-26-2005 09:27:57 PM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Redmage Darkrayver!
*nods in agreement*

Honestly, I switched back to EQ for about an hour after playing WoW for 8 months...and I hate it. It's just so much more of a pain to play, controls and such just suck.

Not to mention the guild I was in moved to another server (ex girlfriend I got hooked into EQ ended up GM), and I would have probably had a 1% chance to see anyone I had on my friends lists on ever again.

And we all know that couldn't have anything to do with the fact that EQ is several years old.

--8-Bit Theater
ArchAngel
Not a girl, never will be, no matter how much you may hear differently
posted 12-26-2005 10:43:27 PM
Excuse me, if I might butt in on my own thread here...

If anybody would care to do something other than help out with the reason I posted this thread, then, please... I invite you to GET THE FUCK OUT.

Thank you.

Now, for those who are helping (Led, I'm looking at you), things are... um... progressing?

"What power would hell have if those imprisoned there could not dream of heaven?" -Dream, Sandman
"When the first living thing existed, I was there waiting. When the last living thing dies, my job will be finished. I'll put the chairs on the tables, turn out the lights, and lock the universe behind me as I leave." -Death, Sandman
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot." Dream, Sandman
Full sigpic image
Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 12-26-2005 11:15:01 PM
This might help, but you've probably already looked here.
"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Led
*kaboom*
posted 12-27-2005 12:10:05 AM
Reinstall directx (if you can, sometimes it gets cranky), then install the latest sound and video drivers you can get. If that does not work, go into your bios setup and try retarding the RAM speed settings (try setting it to auto if it aint already). After that, you could try swapping out your videocard or your RAM. Try one at a time until you find out which is buggery...

And if it still does not work, do not play a game made by SOE

Sorry! lol I just had to say it

Gadani
U
posted 12-27-2005 12:24:35 AM
quote:
Redmage Darkrayver attempted to be funny by writing:

Sorry ArchAngel...

I can see how EQ1 vs. WoW is a fair comparison. Wait, no, I can't.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 12-27-2005 10:41:55 AM
Dunno what to tell you about your problem, Archie. Seems to me you've been wrestling with this for a while. You even, as I recall, thought that mIRC was in some way geeking up your EQ2 for a while there.

My general troubleshooting for games like EQ2 is
1. DirectX the proper version? If yes, go to 2.
Don't laugh. Sometimes you have x.0a and you should have x.0b

2. Drivers updated with current Direct X install compatibility? If yes, go to 3.
Drivers are where I've had the most problem with games. Had that problem with Tron 2.0. I've had that problem with EQ2 before.

3. Fresh install. If this doesn't help, go to 4.
The SOE troubleshooter guys are going to tell you to do a fresh install anyway, and you know what? It might just fix the problem. Sometimes you patch and it doesn't get ALL of the file, or the file is geeked up, so some of your files are from previous patch versions or whatever. If you reinstall from CD then patch, your versions will either be obviously outdated (the CD version) and be replaced, or they'll be the new patch versions. With your DirectX and Drivers updated, and the newly patched fresh install, you're using everything that SHOULD work.

4. SOE tech support. If this doesn't help, go to 5.
Tell them everything you've done, in short concise explanations. Don't get threatening or whiny. Polite, clear, brief explanations of what you did and the logic behind it.

5. Check your hardware.
Could be a hardware issue rather than software. High end games (even moderately high end games like EQ2) wear out your system. Also keep in mind that if you're scraping the "minimum requirements" barrel and trying to load in during the massively-laggy period around the holidays where server load is at it's peak especially in the cities (everyone wants to do their holiday quests) it's going to play that much more havoc on your system. Usually I don't lag at all, but lately I've had patches of lag and skippy framerate. It's because of the holiday crap.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Malbi
posted 12-27-2005 12:55:44 PM
I apologize for derailing your thread Archangel.

now I have experienced something similar to your reset issue, though it hasn't happened since I went to the recommended drivers and not the most recent ones. The XP crash analysis thingy told me it was based on drivers. I would go to this list of supported video cards and drivers.
Now if you have already tried this and still having issues I have no clue.

I Didnt ask to be Secretary of Balloon Doggies, the Balloon Doggies demanded it!
Pesco
Is a copyright of Peachis. Don't underestimate his pants, either.
posted 12-27-2005 06:42:55 PM
Crawl around on the Tech Support forums. There are a lot of players that post there with fixes that SoE hasn't found yet.
Gork
Pancake
posted 12-30-2005 05:07:06 AM
The 9 cd comment makes me think you JUST installed EQ2, Am i correct?
Another Unsolved Mystery is goin' down in history.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: