EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Sony sent me a reactivation thing for EQ
BetaTested
Not gay, but loves the cock!
posted 12-17-2005 12:13:56 PM
I'm actually half tempted to check back on the status of the game, Since EvE is acting like a laggy little bitch today.

Anyone still play and have input on how EQs been doing? And how many more stupid expansions have they put out since the one after PoP that had all the instanced zones.

Got Xfire? Join me in the crusade to knock WoW from it's lofty #1 most played Xfire game with Solitare!
JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 12-17-2005 12:54:45 PM
quote:
BetaTested wrote this stupid crap:
And how many more stupid expansions have they put out since the one after PoP that had all the instanced zones.

I think maybe four.

I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Lashanna
noob
posted 12-17-2005 01:34:15 PM
The Ruins of Kunark (March 2000)
The Scars of Velious (December 2000)
The Shadows of Luclin (December 2001)
The Planes of Power (October 2002)
The Legacy of Ykesha (March 2003)
Lost Dungeons of Norrath (September 2003)
Gates of Discord (February 2004)
Omens of War (September 2004)
Dragons of Norrath (February 2005)
Depths of Darkhollow (September 2005)
Dad's going to kill you. Really. He is.
JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 12-17-2005 01:41:42 PM
I felt like the biggest sucker for buying Gates of Discord and leveling up a troll berserker to Lv.47 before finally realizing berserkers will forever suck. Who the hell thought it was a good idea to make a DPS melee class that did less DPS than rogues, monks, rangers and even warriors most of the time?

JooJooFlop fucked around with this message on 12-17-2005 at 01:42 PM.

I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Mightion Defensor
posted 12-17-2005 03:11:33 PM
They also have Everquest Titanium, where for 20 bucks you get EQ and all ten expansions on five cds. I uninstalled EQ when I read that - I don't currently play, and if I ever do play again (however unlikely) it will be easier to just buy that and install that.
Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 12-18-2005 12:48:42 AM
GoD, OoW, DoN and DoDH are all heavy on instancing. There are still regular zones to hunt in, but the EQ trend now seems to be having a lot of missions and adventures to do in each expansion.

The armor quests for OoW give some decent rewards. And DoN is very nice for gearing up, offering a crystal system when you succeed with a mission. These crystals can be traded, unlike LDoN points, and the base items that you later buy augments for are much improved in stats IMO.

I haven't delved into DoDH yet, just installed it a few days ago. But from what I hear the missions are pretty good there,too.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

very important poster
a sweet title
posted 12-18-2005 10:38:09 AM
SOE starts losing customers across the board as real alternatives to their MMOGs arise and subsequently starts an advertising campaign, more at 11.

Jensus fucked around with this message on 12-18-2005 at 10:38 AM.

hey
Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 12-18-2005 03:21:32 PM
They've done this before Jens, even before other games came out. It's an opportunity they periodically make available.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 12-18-2005 03:23:39 PM
Crystals?

Are we at the Muppets Take Norrath yet?

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 12-18-2005 03:31:42 PM
Please look at the game you play where I expect Spongbob to come down the road any minute and tell me about something being like the Muppets.

Taeldian
Pancake
posted 12-18-2005 03:34:59 PM
quote:
Lyinar Ka`Bael had this to say about Reading Rainbow:
Please look at the game you play where I expect Spongbob to come down the road any minute and tell me about something being like the Muppets.

What?

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 12-18-2005 03:49:18 PM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Lyinar Ka`Bael!

Hey let's take pot shots that are completely retarded

I don't even see the similarity between art styles. Your joke failed. Also, his wasn't about art styles so much as a stretching thin of ideas and content

Steven Steve
posted 12-18-2005 04:04:03 PM
If there's one thing any of you should remember, it's that all MMORPGs are created equally ridiculous. I got this email also but installing the game has become such a hassle at this point that I don't even feel like putting forth the effort to use it.
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 12-18-2005 05:38:17 PM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Kegwen:
Hey let's take pot shots that are completely retarded

I don't even see the similarity between art styles. Your joke failed. Also, his wasn't about art styles so much as a stretching thin of ideas and content

It's not a deal of art styles. I find it funny that someone who plays something that looks like a cartoon implies that another game has something "kiddy" in it because it mentions crystals.

Skaw
posted 12-18-2005 05:45:22 PM
quote:
Lyinar Ka`Bael spewed forth this undeniable truth:
It's not a deal of art styles.

looks like a cartoon.

Woah contradiction look out.

Talonus
Loner
posted 12-18-2005 05:49:52 PM
quote:
Lyinar Ka`Bael had this to say about (_|_):
It's not a deal of art styles. I find it funny that someone who plays something that looks like a cartoon implies that another game has something "kiddy" in it because it mentions crystals.

You're missing the point. The Muppets kick ass, but there's been far too many muppet movies. EQ is a good MMOG, but SOE has released far too many expansion packs. The basic premise has been stretched incredibly thin, to the point where there's no dead horse left for them to kick.

Peter
Pancake
posted 12-18-2005 06:40:55 PM
quote:
Talonus had this to say about the Spice Girls:
...EQ is a good MMOG, but SOE has released far too many expansion packs. ....

I think this is what got them in trouble with Lucasarts, It looks like they wanted to apply this idea to SWG, you had like 3 expansions come out in less than half a year.

--Also, Why to peopel bitch and moan about WoW's art style. It uses the same stylized looks that the RTS games used, no it is not going to look realistc. it is like WH40k the themes and art for it are higly stylized, if the do a game it will follow suit, it would do it justice otherwise.

Talonus
Loner
posted 12-18-2005 07:31:57 PM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Peter said:
I think this is what got them in trouble with Lucasarts, It looks like they wanted to apply this idea to SWG, you had like 3 expansions come out in less than half a year.

No, the game sucks. That continues to get SOE in trouble with Lucasarts.

Steven Steve
posted 12-18-2005 09:34:47 PM
Let's not delude ourselves though, WoW looks like a three-ring circus.
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."

Ruvyen
Cartoon Broccoli Boy
posted 12-18-2005 10:06:44 PM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Lyinar Ka`Bael:

WoW may look like a cartoon, but the art style is also anything but kiddy, despite what the average age of the user base may lead you to believe. Or do you think that a gigantic green hulk-man wielding a flaming battle axe and decapitating humans, elves, and gnomes would be perfect material for a children's show?

Thief: "I have come to a realisation. Dragons are not real in a general sense, but they may exist in certain specific cases."
Fighter: "Like how quantum mechanics describes how subatomic particles can spontaneously pop into existence at random!"
Thief: "No, that's stupid and stop making up words."
--8-Bit Theater
Steven Steve
posted 12-18-2005 10:11:45 PM
quote:
Ruvyen's fortune cookie read:
WoW may look like a cartoon, but the art style is also anything but kiddy, despite what the average age of the user base may lead you to believe. Or do you think that a gigantic green hulk-man wielding a flaming battle axe and decapitating humans, elves, and gnomes would be perfect material for a children's show?

Ruvyen
Cartoon Broccoli Boy
posted 12-18-2005 10:35:55 PM
quote:
Fazum'Zen Fastfist had this to say about Pirotess:
[xIMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/Suchiiben/he-man.jpg[/IMG]

I didn't think He-Man decrapitated anyone.

Thief: "I have come to a realisation. Dragons are not real in a general sense, but they may exist in certain specific cases."
Fighter: "Like how quantum mechanics describes how subatomic particles can spontaneously pop into existence at random!"
--8-Bit Theater
Steven Steve
posted 12-18-2005 10:41:49 PM
Neither do the orcs in WoW.

Kaiote
Shot in the Face
posted 12-18-2005 10:44:45 PM
The cartoony atmosphere of WoW is one of the things I really loved about it. From the idea that the elves lived in this HUGEASS tree. (In the crotch of said tree) to the little details like that gnome king guy and his spinning cog shield. The game itself was beautiful without trying to be realistic. It went for cartoonish, and did it well.

The gameplay just wasnt for me. Either I could be a fanatic, addicted gamer, or a perma-noob. Everythign seemed either too easy, or impossible. The most fun I had was spending 4 hours dueling people on the docks. The game was designed for end game level shit, and I'm just not an end game level kinda guy.

But I LOVED the cartoonishness of it.

Henry had been killed by a garden gnome.He had fallen off the roof onto that cheerful-looking figure. The gnome was made of concrete. Henry wasn't. - Dean Koontz, Velocity
Ruvyen
Cartoon Broccoli Boy
posted 12-18-2005 10:54:40 PM
quote:
Fazum'Zen Fastfist probably says this to all the girls:
Neither do the orcs in WoW.

Warrior's Execute skill, coupled with the fact that the warrior class has pretty much become the Orcs' racial identity. Yeah, they have their shamans, they have their assassins, but when you think orc, you think armour and axes.

--8-Bit Theater
Freschel Spindrift
Caucasian
posted 12-18-2005 10:56:27 PM
quote:
Fazum'Zen Fastfist thought about the meaning of life:
Let's not delude ourselves though, WoW looks like a three-ring circus.

Actually more of a retro Disney. As in 30's, 40's and 50's.

Who's that crazy kook that's destroying the world. It's Zorc (That's me) It's Zorc and Pals.
Bakura: Did you forget our anniversary, again? (laughter)
Zorc: Yes, I was busy destroying the world (laughter) Slaughtering millions. (Laughter)
Bakura: That's my Zorc.
The blood of the innocents will flow without end. His name is Zorc, and he's destroying the world.
Steven Steve
posted 12-18-2005 10:56:29 PM
So wait, when you perform this skill, it actually shows the weapon colliding with the opponent's neck, severing their head, and spraying blood everywhere? Or is it just a swing of a massive stylized weapon from 10 feet away and the enemy falls to the ground unmarked?

Ruvyen
Cartoon Broccoli Boy
posted 12-18-2005 11:00:44 PM
quote:
Fazum'Zen Fastfist painfully thought these words up:
So wait, when you perform this skill, it actually shows the weapon colliding with the opponent's neck, severing their head, and spraying blood everywhere? Or is it just a swing of a massive stylized weapon from 10 feet away and the enemy falls to the ground unmarked?

Well, from the fact that the skill is supposed to instantly kill an opponent by dealing huge damage, we can guess the warrior's attempting something really brutal and way too graphic for even WoW itself. I'm making a guess here.

--8-Bit Theater
Steven Steve
posted 12-18-2005 11:04:16 PM
I see.

Mod
Pancake
posted 12-18-2005 11:12:03 PM
quote:
From the book of Ruvyen, chapter 3, verse 16:

Yeah, that's pretty much what appeals to kids above six. What did you watch when you were that age, Barney the dinosaur? No, it was probably He-Man, the Transformers or something with lots of implied violence and no actual blood or decapitation like that. WoW is perfectly kid-friendly, there's really no shame in that, it's just a side-effect of the art style.

I like the way WoW looks, but quite honestly from what I've seen they've taken the easy road of trying to make things more 'badass' than actually stylish. One of my favourite places in WoW are all the little farms and towns around Stormwind, the houses are architecturally out of whack of course, but they just lookt the part of small towns, cartoon or not. It's subtle, the discrepancies in proportion and color don't jump out at you, in most cases the landscape looks real enough to allow you to suspend disbelief and immerse yourself in the world.

The recent screenshots coming out of wow however are more and more going towards just having more and more flames, more and more spines and more and more retardedly huge weapons. Two expansions down the line, it will probably have reached a "Final Fantasy"-like level of retardation with Paladins welding five foot flame-spitting gunblades with a Spawn action figure attached to the hilt for good measure.

Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Steven Steve
posted 12-18-2005 11:19:32 PM
I was about to say that I prefer City of Heroes' art style until I remembered that 90% of the zones are two-dimensional.

Ruvyen
Cartoon Broccoli Boy
posted 12-18-2005 11:37:42 PM
quote:
Mod had this to say about the Spice Girls:
Yeah, that's pretty much what appeals to kids above six. What did you watch when you were that age, Barney the dinosaur? No, it was probably He-Man, the Transformers or something with lots of implied violence and no actual blood or decapitation like that. WoW is perfectly kid-friendly, there's really no shame in that, it's just a side-effect of the art style.

Just because kids happen to like something, doesn't mean it was designed for them.

And some of us happen to like retardedly huge swords, with more sword blades coming off the main one, and even more blades coming off those.

--8-Bit Theater
Steven Steve
posted 12-18-2005 11:42:59 PM
So basically it's like ah nee may?

Mr. Parcelan
posted 12-19-2005 12:52:25 AM
quote:
Lyinar Ka`Bael was listening to Cher while typing:

You are out of your fucking mind.

Ruvyen
Cartoon Broccoli Boy
posted 12-19-2005 01:05:08 AM
quote:
A sleep deprived Fazum'Zen Fastfist stammered:
So basically it's like ah nee may?

Only without the satellite-dish-sized eyes and nearly-nonexistent mouths that can suddenly expand to take up over half the face.

--8-Bit Theater
Willias
Pancake
posted 12-19-2005 02:10:06 AM
quote:
We were all impressed when Talonus wrote:
No, the game sucks. That continues to get SOE in trouble with Lucasarts.

Seems as though that Lucasarts made the game suck more though.

And down to this shitty WoW's graphics are made for kids: they aren't, not exactly anyway.

WoW's graphics are done to be... "artistic" rather than realisitic which EQ and EQ2 seem to have aimed for. WoW's graphics are done up to be artsy and pretty to look at, and retain the feel of the older Warcraft games. They do their job, though as others have said, some of the high level stuff is starting to get... funky looking. In a few expansions, I expect people to be fighting in giant mech suits, simply because I don't see how the armor can get much more awesome looking, without looking freakish or wierd. Look at the Ahn'Qiraj stuff to see a good example of what might happen as the game progresses onward.

However, Ruvyen, the game's artwork is anything but something aimed at an adult audience. Blizzard is smart enough to know that WoW is going to be played by a vast assortment of ages. If you make the game look too "adult-like", you lose out on possible younger aged customers, if you make the game look too "kiddy" you lose out on older age customers. It's a blend, yo.

And if that didn't make sense, kiss my ass. It's 2 AM and I've lost some of my ability to think straight. :p

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 12-19-2005 02:56:13 AM
quote:
Willias wrote this stupid crap:

They do their job, though as others have said, some of the high level stuff is starting to get... funky looking. In a few expansions, I expect people to be fighting in giant mech suits, simply because I don't see how the armor can get much more awesome looking, without looking freakish or wierd. Look at the Ahn'Qiraj stuff to see a good example of what might happen as the game progresses onward.

I would just like to point out the new tier 2 paladin armor. In my opinion this particular suit looks very badass without being all blades and whatnot. This gives me confidance that the art department can do much more subtle design very well and they just have to decide to go in that direction. Then again I look at the warrior art and go wtf mate. Such is life though.

Willias
Pancake
posted 12-19-2005 03:01:13 AM
quote:
Naimah had this to say about the Spice Girls:
I would just like to point out the new tier 2 paladin armor. In my opinion this particular suit looks very badass without being all blades and whatnot. This gives me confidance that the art department can do much more subtle design very well and they just have to decide to go in that direction. Then again I look at the warrior art and go wtf mate. Such is life though.

Yeah, paladin one was done very well. However, it makes me wonder how you make suits of armor look more badass than that without going overboard and making armor just look stupid.

BTW, my personal favorite of the new tier 2 sets has to be the warlock set. It just looks badass and even more so in game.

Anyway, back to the original point of the thread: I don't think I could ever get back into EQ1. It lacks so much of the awesome stuff you see in more modern MMOs (WoW, EQ2) that I don't think I could sit down and play the game for very long without getting bored. Tried to goof around with Winter's Roar (before it was Shards of Delaya) and I just couldn't get into it. (No offense meant SoD guys, what you do is pretty awesome.)

I am however, really getting a kick out of EQ2 right now.

Whatever they did in the half a year where I bought the game, played it for 3 weeks and decided it sucked, has made the game much more awesome/tolerable. That and the SOGA models don't suck huge monkey ass like some of the older ones did. The game overall is MUCH more difficult than World of Warcraft, and it's a breath of fresh air in MMOs for me, because I was kinda getting bored with WoW.

I'm a paladin now, yo.

Willias fucked around with this message on 12-19-2005 at 03:07 AM.

Ruvyen
Cartoon Broccoli Boy
posted 12-19-2005 12:10:37 PM
quote:
Willias had this to say about John Romero:
However, Ruvyen, the game's artwork is anything but something aimed at an adult audience. Blizzard is smart enough to know that WoW is going to be played by a vast assortment of ages. If you make the game look too "adult-like", you lose out on possible younger aged customers, if you make the game look too "kiddy" you lose out on older age customers. It's a blend, yo.

I didn't say anything like that at all, I just said it isn't specifically made for kids. WoW's art style really doesn't have any specific target audience.

--8-Bit Theater
Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 12-19-2005 07:56:02 PM
quote:
Willias had this to say about Reading Rainbow:

Whatever they did in the half a year where I bought the game, played it for 3 weeks and decided it sucked, has made the game much more awesome/tolerable. That and the SOGA models don't suck huge monkey ass like some of the older ones did. The game overall is MUCH more difficult than World of Warcraft, and it's a breath of fresh air in MMOs for me, because I was kinda getting bored with WoW.

We had a combat revamp in September that really was a nice upgrade. It streamlined some classes and made it less button mashing I feel and more choosing the right skill for the right time.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: