EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: M59, AC2... SWG?
Maradon!
posted 12-14-2005 07:49:59 PM
SWG taking a dive?

I've got to admit, it kinda makes me sad

Mod
Pancake
posted 12-14-2005 08:07:24 PM
quote:
How.... Maradon!.... uughhhhhh:
SWG taking a dive?

I've got to admit, it kinda makes me sad

Is that Brian Orr guy RIG?

Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Malbi
posted 12-14-2005 08:17:14 PM
I must say whoever okayed The NGE has probably been fired at this point.
I Didnt ask to be Secretary of Balloon Doggies, the Balloon Doggies demanded it!
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 12-14-2005 08:20:53 PM
quote:
Malbi said:
I must say whoever okayed The NGE has probably been fired at this point.

This all came about when the new LucasArts director and Smedley came together to discuss SWG.

Mightion Defensor
posted 12-14-2005 08:24:22 PM
All those changes and stuff and they still couldn't fix the fact my Imperial pilot still had the Heavy X-wing badge.

The thing I missed the most from Pre-NGE were the lightsaber animations - all gone, changed to the current poke-frenzy, as I call it.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 12-14-2005 08:35:43 PM
quote:
Mightion Defensor said:
The thing I missed the most from Pre-NGE were the lightsaber animations - all gone, changed to the current poke-frenzy, as I call it.

The lightsaber animations are fucking stupid now. Poke-o-rama until whatever you're fighting dies.

Kaiote
Shot in the Face
posted 12-14-2005 08:56:54 PM
That whole "Experience may change during online play" thing...

Yeah, not such a good idea to abuse it THAT much in one shot.
I left because while I did still kinda like the community, it was like playing a Star Wars version of Quake 2, with a really shitty framerate, and player housing.

When Mort left the game for Eve Online.. the folks at SWG shoulda started crying, and packing up thier desks.

Henry had been killed by a garden gnome.He had fallen off the roof onto that cheerful-looking figure. The gnome was made of concrete. Henry wasn't. - Dean Koontz, Velocity
Peter
Pancake
posted 12-14-2005 09:16:05 PM
I wonder How badly will this affect SOE when they lose SWG, I mean it can not look good to lose like a holy grail of licening that is starwars.

On the other hand, if SOE can ge the blame put on Lucasarts, migth come off fairly clean, Lucasarts has soon some really bad moves lately, like Canning Full Throttle 2 and Sam and Max 2, nearly done, to make shitty Star Wars based games.

Y.O.T.C
No longer a Towel Girl
posted 12-14-2005 09:39:20 PM
Lucas arts needs to die a horrible flameing death. That is all.
KaLourin
Illanae's Stooge!
posted 12-15-2005 07:42:33 AM
"In the previous version of the game, only a precious few dedicated, lucky players could hope to attain the use of the Force."

wait.. what?

Dont make me slap you so hard your bucket spins around, and around,and stops sideways,thus confusing you, and making you run about London wearing your bucket, a g-string, and carrying a stick,smacking the ground while yelling "MAGICALLY DELICIOUS! MAGICALLY FUCKING DELICIOUS!"- {Tal} to Mortious
Hebrew 9:3- 'And the Lord said unto me, "Dude, there isn't a K in covenant."' - Snoota

This beer drops trou and fucks your mouth with pure hoppy goodness. - Karnaj
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 12-15-2005 07:57:56 AM
quote:
KaLourin thought about the meaning of life:
"In the previous version of the game, only a precious few dedicated, lucky players could hope to attain the use of the Force."

wait.. what?

Well, it's only half wrong....

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Gadani
U
posted 12-15-2005 08:01:26 AM
quote:
KaLourin impressed everyone with:

wait.. what?

Before holocrons, you had to guess which professions to master.

Right?

Peter
Pancake
posted 12-15-2005 10:23:17 AM
quote:
Gadani painfully thought these words up:
Before holocrons, you had to guess which professions to master.

Right?

Pre holocrons, Guess all professions, After holocrons, only had to guess 1 profession, After Jedi village, Gain certain badges and complete village Quests. All prior ways to get Jedi were Massive Time sinks, Which were already killing the game.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 12-15-2005 10:25:46 AM
And yet there were still way too many Jedi
Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 12-15-2005 10:40:51 AM
quote:
Peter said:
Pre holocrons, Guess all professions, After holocrons, only had to guess 1 profession, After Jedi village, Gain certain badges and complete village Quests. All prior ways to get Jedi were Massive Time sinks, Which were already killing the game.

Actually those time sinks were the only things keeping people playing the game.

Now that they're gone, it's tanking.

Peter
Pancake
posted 12-15-2005 10:40:55 AM
quote:
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael had this to say about Cuba:
And yet there were still way too many Jedi

Well, after they put the village in, It became easy for powergamers to make Jedi. The put the village in because holo grinding was killing the game--Most Players were spending their time mastering professions, kinda kills the game when people brake down and formulate how to macro master a profession in a day, also plays havoc on the economy when all the resources were being consumed and nothing put back in.-- Hell, when you get down to it, Jedi were broken to start with, and should have never been put in.

--Prior to the village I think the Only Jedi in AV was Crisby, with Kavol or Scoricco coming in second, And I think Mort might have made it sooner if he didnÂ’t hold onto DE so long.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 12-15-2005 10:42:15 AM
quote:
Peter said:
--Prior to the village I think the Only Jedi in AV was Crisby, with Kavol or Scoricco coming in second, And I think Mort might have made it sooner if he didnÂ’t hold onto DE so long.

Uh excuse me? I was the first Jedi in AV.

Crisby never even unlocked. Are you off your meds again?

Peter
Pancake
posted 12-15-2005 10:46:51 AM
quote:
Mortious had this to say about Tron:
Actually those time sinks were the only things keeping people playing the game.

Now that they're gone, it's tanking.

Yeah, but when your game desgin is to place some massive timesinks in rather than devolpe and add content, what else do you think will happen? I joined what about a half a year or a full year after release I think, and they only recently added Vehicals, and only 3 of them? out of the metric fuckload you could find in any Starwars book or the movies?

Peter
Pancake
posted 12-15-2005 10:48:04 AM
quote:
Mortious obviously shouldn't have said:
Uh excuse me? I was the first Jedi in AV.

Crisby never even unlocked. Are you off your meds again?

Possibly, I could have sworn he made it.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 12-15-2005 10:48:29 AM
And then when there were too many Jedi, then there were too many Bounty Hunters.

Powergaming leads to Jedi, Jedi lead to Hunters, Hunters...lead to suffering.

"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty

very important poster
a sweet title
posted 12-15-2005 01:04:00 PM
The solution is obvious: Mort, start a petition to have them hire Za, Liam and me!

I don't understand how SOE could mess up a success handed on a silver platter like SWG. That's just kooky.

hey
Mightion Defensor
posted 12-15-2005 02:04:38 PM
I think I was the second last AV Jedi. I remember the last (what was his name?) asking me "Where do I get a lightsaber?" when he was on the ninth Padawan trial.
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 12-15-2005 02:48:24 PM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Mightion Defensor said this:
I think I was the second last AV Jedi. I remember the last (what was his name?) asking me "Where do I get a lightsaber?" when he was on the ninth Padawan trial.

Bans?

Mightion Defensor
posted 12-15-2005 02:53:36 PM
quote:
It has been ordained by Primus, that there will be a Chosen One who will use the Matrix to "light our darkest hour." That darkest hour may come sooner if Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael keeps posting things like this:
Bans?

How could anyone forget his name? No, I think it was Waffen.

FYI: The ninth Padawan trial was/is to construct a lightsaber.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 12-15-2005 03:09:10 PM
quote:
Bent over the coffee table, Y.O.T.C squealed:
Lucas arts needs to die a horrible flameing death. That is all.

It's really sad, too; they used to make awesome games. Remember The Dig and Loom?

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

New Age Bane
Waste Management Crisis
posted 12-15-2005 06:14:29 PM
quote:
Bloodsage spewed forth this undeniable truth:
It's really sad, too; they used to make awesome games. Remember The Dig and Loom?

You forgot, Sam and Max, Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle, and MANIAC MANSION, and Full Throttle was alright. Now there were some great games.... Though I have some hope for that RTS. Games today just seem to disappoint me more and more even when I'm not even hyped about them.

Why can't anyone make a game that plays for more than 10 hours and a somewhat decent story? Or am I insane...

New Age Bane fucked around with this message on 12-15-2005 at 06:15 PM.

What am I supposed to in here again? Oh yes something witty and oh so pretty!
Malbi
posted 12-15-2005 06:18:42 PM
quote:
New Age Bane had this to say about Knight Rider:
You forgot, Sam and Max, Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle, and MANIAC MANSION, and Full Throttle was alright. Now there were some great games.... Though I have some hope for that RTS. Games today just seem to disappoint me more and more even when I'm not even hyped about them.

Why can't anyone make a game that plays for more than 10 hours and a somewhat decent story? Or am I insane...

Its called big business taking over the gaming industry. If you know a friend who has a subscription to Game Informer theres a nice little article written by American Mcgee, creative director, the Mauretania import export company, in the newest issue.
I Didnt ask to be Secretary of Balloon Doggies, the Balloon Doggies demanded it!
Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 12-15-2005 06:20:55 PM
quote:
This one time, at New Age Bane camp:

Play an RPG

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Malbi
posted 12-15-2005 07:19:57 PM
real gamers don't need to:
save
sleep
eat
use toilets
bath
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 12-15-2005 07:26:25 PM
quote:
Malbi said:
real slobs gamers don't need to:
save
sleep
eat
use toilets
bath

Fixed.

Malbi
posted 12-15-2005 07:28:16 PM
you mean theres a differance between gamers and slobs?
Sean
posted 12-15-2005 08:05:07 PM
quote:
Malbi had this to say about pies:
you mean theres a differance between gamers and slobs?

Yes.

You fucking slob.

A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Peter
Pancake
posted 12-15-2005 09:54:32 PM
Out of a whim i pulled up the lancher today, Finally have 2nd slots, but i noticed this :
Harvester Changes

Added a 50% Bonus to Harvesting amounts on All Harvesters.
You must be an Owner of a Harvester/Generator to deposit money into it.
Harvesters can only be accessed and operated by the person who placed it.
All existing condemned Harvesters are now destroyed.
Harvesters no longer pull credits from the bank when the maintenance pool reaches 0.
Harvesters will now destroy themselves instead of going into condemned status. The Harvester will still take damage when it runs out of maintenance and decay to 0%. Once it hits 0%, it will destroy itself rather than pull credits from the owner's bank account.

...They removed one of the best features for crafting they had put in the game, what a fucking crock.

Peter fucked around with this message on 12-15-2005 at 09:56 PM.

Kaiote
Shot in the Face
posted 12-16-2005 02:10:12 AM
Best?

I HATED the damn harvesters all over the place..

Henry had been killed by a garden gnome.He had fallen off the roof onto that cheerful-looking figure. The gnome was made of concrete. Henry wasn't. - Dean Koontz, Velocity
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 12-16-2005 03:34:14 AM
Having all those harvesters was the only way to have a large-scale galaxy spanning business. But we all know that SOE hate crafters now, so they want to shoehorn them into almost insignificant roles.

Did any see the interview with Julio Torres (lead SWG designer) on G4? It was hilariously bad, the questions and answers and even the phone calls were scripted and sounded like they were reading from an auto-cue. When they fired up the game on live TV to see Obi-Wan he was bugged and wouldn't spawn for them, hahahahahaha.

The big laugh was that Julio said he plays WoW and never mentioned at all if he plays SWG or not.

El Cuchillo
RETARD! DO NOT FEED!
posted 12-16-2005 07:55:53 AM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when Mod said:
Is that Brian Orr guy RIG?

I'm surprised nobody answered this yet... I'm pretty sure it is, if it's not it's a huge coincedence. I remember his last name being different, but I remember his first name was Brian.

Strip Club - Online Comic Reader and Archiver for Linux and Windows (and maybe OSX)
Zaza
I don't give a damn.
posted 12-16-2005 08:01:36 AM
Reading SA's memorial kinda thread thingy on SWG, the original vision of the game seems to have been really really great. Too bad it never really followed that vision.

Oh well, another dead MMOG.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 12-16-2005 09:13:18 AM
quote:
Zaza said:
Reading SA's memorial kinda thread thingy on SWG, the original vision of the game seems to have been really really great. Too bad it never really followed that vision.

Oh well, another dead MMOG.

Not just any dead MMOG, a dead MMOG based on the largest franchise in the civilised world.

If only LucasArts hadn't picked SOE where managers who know nothing about MMORPG gameplay rule.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 12-16-2005 10:24:17 AM
quote:
Mortious had this to say about Knight Rider:
Did any see the interview with Julio Torres (lead SWG designer) on G4? It was hilariously bad, the questions and answers and even the phone calls were scripted and sounded like they were reading from an auto-cue. When they fired up the game on live TV to see Obi-Wan he was bugged and wouldn't spawn for them, hahahahahaha.

Yeah I saw that...I couldn't believe how bad that interview was.

And I disagree that the (dare I say it) vision for SWG was always a little flawed. Only idiots would assume that people playing a Star Wars game wouldn't want to play a Jedi out of a gate. So the era they stuck the game in was badly flawed. They had every opportunity to tie the game in with the prequels by setting it in the "Rise of the Empire" era.

Then when they installed the Jedi, people were frustrated and they made it easier. Suddenly they're no longer remotely within continuity and they shrug and say "we never claimed we'd stick to canon"

Two red flags right there. They should have, frankly, stuck some comic geeks in command of the game. Comic geeks understand the need to be loyal. SWG never was.

Zaza
I don't give a damn.
posted 12-16-2005 03:39:30 PM
quote:
Mortious had this to say about Captain Planet:
Not just any dead MMOG, a dead MMOG based on the largest franchise in the civilised world.

If only LucasArts hadn't picked SOE where managers who know nothing about MMORPG gameplay rule.

Any idea what's going to happen to it? I've heard everything from a complete licensal revoke to some other studio taking over and running a few skeleton servers.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: