EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: M59, AC2... SWG?
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 12-16-2005 03:42:51 PM
quote:
Zaza said:
Any idea what's going to happen to it? I've heard everything from a complete licensal revoke to some other studio taking over and running a few skeleton servers.

No idea yet, SOE have said they're never giving up on it but with server numbers in the triple digits at prime time it's flopping like a beached whale.

Mightion Defensor
posted 12-16-2005 05:34:11 PM
quote:
From the Book of Armaments, Mortious did read;
No idea yet, SOE have said they're never giving up on it but with server numbers in the triple digits at prime time it's flopping like a beached whale.

Interesting... where'd you find out/hear that?

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 12-16-2005 08:10:36 PM
I'm tempted to play City of Villains.
Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Zaile Ghostmaker
You've gotta remember, I'm an EverQuest character.
posted 12-16-2005 08:22:43 PM
quote:
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:
I'm tempted to play City of Villains.

You should. We have lab coats and blast goggles.

I find that most problems can be solved by excessive violence.

It is held in thought
only by the understanding
of the Wind.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 12-16-2005 09:06:11 PM
quote:
So quoth Zaile Ghostmaker:
You should. We have lab coats and blast goggles.

Yeah and I'd want to be a villain anyway. It's tempting. I tried going back to SWG, but man...it hurts my brain.

"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty

Mightion Defensor
posted 12-16-2005 09:09:37 PM
quote:
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael wrote their words upon the rocks;
Yeah and I'd want to be a villain anyway. It's tempting. I tried going back to SWG, but man...it hurts my brain.

I still have one 14-day City of Heroes trail key left. May not be villain side, but you can at least get used to the interface and the basics.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 12-16-2005 09:30:44 PM
we'll see. I may just get CoH with the Villains expansion when my funds stabilize after the X-Mas season

Lechium
With no one to ever know
posted 12-16-2005 10:42:51 PM
It's kinda sad to see this happen. I wonder if the devs had good intentions in mind and wanted it to make it more action oriented, but it's too bad that it had a negative impact.
"The MP checkpoint is not an Imperial Stormtrooper roadblock, so I should not tell them "You don't need to see my identification, these are not the droids you are looking for."
Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 12-16-2005 10:46:02 PM
quote:
A sleep deprived Mortious stammered:

If only LucasArts hadn't picked SOE where managers who know nothing about MMORPG gameplay rule.

Yeah, it's really hard to keep an MMORPG going for 6 years knowing nothing about MMORPGs and not being a forerunner in bringing MMORPGs to the masses and vastly increasing their popularity

I'm not saying I don't agree with your points on SWG. But SoE DOES know MMORPG gameplay rule. That I will give them.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Noxhil2
Pancake
posted 12-16-2005 10:58:39 PM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Lyinar Ka`Bael said:
Yeah, it's really hard to keep an MMORPG going for 6 years knowing nothing about MMORPGs and not being a forerunner in bringing MMORPGs to the masses and vastly increasing their popularity

I don't think SOE increased the popularity of MMOs. It's more likely they stigmatized them.

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 12-16-2005 11:32:15 PM
quote:
Lyinar Ka`Bael impressed everyone with:

I'm not saying I don't agree with your points on SWG. But SoE DOES know MMORPG gameplay rule. That I will give them.

They kept one going for six years with a carrot on a stick and because there was no real competition.

People have tasted WoW, and they like it. They won't go back to EQ. Even for nostalgia's sake.

Led
*kaboom*
posted 12-17-2005 12:07:36 AM
SoE did not develop EQ either Verant and 989 Studios did.
Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 12-17-2005 12:14:55 AM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when Led said:

That's what I was going to say. SoE had it all handed to them by the guys that really figured it out.

Mind you, I hate the Verant crew for all the time sinks and such. Looking at that damned spellbook all the time was NOT fun, and I have NO idea why I put up with it for so long.

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 12-17-2005 12:55:15 AM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Led wrote:

Verant was a subset of SOE. Don't believe me? Go look at the copyright on the install screen and see where it says "Copyright Sony Online Entertainment" at the bottom. Or watch the Icons show about EQ. This has been Sony-financed and run since the beginning. They just had a masochist in charge before they officially took it over and made it 100x better than the crap Brad McQuaid had.

Cavalier-
Pancake
posted 12-17-2005 05:35:54 AM
quote:
Lyinar Ka`Bael impressed everyone with:
Verant was a subset of SOE. Don't believe me? Go look at the copyright on the install screen and see where it says "Copyright Sony Online Entertainment" at the bottom. Or watch the Icons show about EQ. This has been Sony-financed and run since the beginning. They just had a masochist in charge before they officially took it over and made it 100x better than the crap Brad McQuaid MR STINKY had.

That's better.

And IIRC, SOE actually formed out of Sony's takeover of Verant/989...

Maradon!
posted 12-17-2005 05:41:22 AM
quote:
Over the mountain, in between the ups and downs, I ran into Lyinar Ka`Bael who doth quote:

Actually it's really easy, you just have to be the only 3d MMORPG on the entire market for the first couple years.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 12-17-2005 08:37:43 AM
quote:
Cavalier- obviously shouldn't have said:
That's better.

And IIRC, SOE actually formed out of Sony's takeover of Verant/989...

There was no takeover. Sony was the financial backing from the start. They just started running their project rather than letting Brad and the rest continue to have free reign.

And SoE I can verify has been around since 2000, probably earlier, but my first exposure to EQ was during Kunark and that's the earliest date I can confirm with my CDs having the copyright information at the bottom of the install screen. I just saw it there when I re-installed a few days ago.

Maybe someone with an original EQ disk can re-intall just to check that screen and see if it says the same for 1999?

Peter
Pancake
posted 12-17-2005 09:23:43 AM
EQ used to have the Verent and 989 studios splash screen

How ever, both were companies that were under Sony, Sony disolved the two, creating SOE to focus on Computer entertainment, and another branch for consoles.

--You can check the Back of the Kunark Jewel case and see the Verant logo on it. and see verant is copyright to sony computer entertainment.

Peter fucked around with this message on 12-17-2005 at 09:26 AM.

Sean
posted 12-17-2005 09:33:17 AM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Lyinar Ka`Bael:
They just started running their project rather than letting Brad and the rest continue to have free reign.

What part of this sentence do you not understand?

It was a good product when Brad 'and the rest' had free reign; SOE ruined it the moment they took creative control.

Sony Online Entertainment has not had a quality product since Everquest was handed to them on a silver platter.

A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Noxhil2
Pancake
posted 12-17-2005 09:41:04 AM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Sean!
What part of this sentence do you not understand?

It was a good product when Brad 'and the rest' had free reign; SOE ruined it the moment they took creative control.

Sony Online Entertainment has not had a quality product since Everquest was handed to them on a silver platter.

This is so obvious; I don't even know why there's an argument about it.

Toktuk
Pooh Ogre
Keeper of the Shoulders of Peachis Perching
posted 12-17-2005 10:47:09 AM
989 Studios was a Sony owned break off of Sony Computer Entertainment (aka The Playstation guys). Brad & Co broke off from 989 to form Verant, which was purchased by 989, which was rebranded as Sony Online Entertainment.

So, yea, it's been Sony financed and controlled from the get go. I believe the group didn't carry the Sony brand name at the start because it originally worked with games that would have been considered somewhat risky at the time (Verant's online only offerings and challenging EA with their 989 Sports games). It got renamed to SOE once consistant revenue streams were established.

As for SWG, I'm of the opinion that SOE decided to promote Raph Koster and move him to San Diego just to get him out of the way so they could rework SWG from basically being UO+ to something else.

Something to be clear about: The boys in San Diego that run SOE understand EverQuest. That doesn't mean they understand MMOG design in general. They want every game to basically have EQ level success instead of being content producing a handful of niche games the way that NCsoft does (speaking from an American market perspective). If they'd quit trying to chase Blizzard, they'd be in a lot better shape. But with the way their going, EverQuest is going to be the only franchise they'll be able to sustain.

-H

Ruvyen
Cartoon Broccoli Boy
posted 12-17-2005 11:00:45 AM
quote:
Maradon!'s unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:
Actually it's really easy, you just have to be the only 3d MMORPG on the entire market for the first couple years.

Pretty much. The only reason most people didn't go to DAoC when it came out, is because they already had high-level characters on EQ and it would be a waste to just quit.

Thief: "I have come to a realisation. Dragons are not real in a general sense, but they may exist in certain specific cases."
Fighter: "Like how quantum mechanics describes how subatomic particles can spontaneously pop into existence at random!"
Thief: "No, that's stupid and stop making up words."
--8-Bit Theater
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 12-17-2005 02:11:59 PM
Well here I was going to reply to Lyinar with points on why she's wrong but everyone else has done it for me.

Don't defend SOE, they're money-grabbing scum who care about you as much as an ant they'd accidently step on in pursuit of profit.

Led
*kaboom*
posted 12-17-2005 04:17:30 PM
Actually I thought EQ was a lot more fun when that 'machocist' was in charge

A bunch of those old guys broke off and are developing Vanguard, which is supposed to herald back to the ol' days of spending five hours running across Antonica and requiring a full group to kill an even con mob I like hard games!

Talonus
Loner
posted 12-17-2005 04:45:06 PM
quote:
Led spewed forth this undeniable truth:
A bunch of those old guys broke off and are developing Vanguard, which is supposed to herald back to the ol' days of spending five hours running across Antonica and requiring a full group to kill an even con mob I like hard games!

Vanguard is targetted for a more hardcore crowd than EQ in general. More or less, Brad's targetting the sadists who love to catass. That doesn't mean the game will be hard, just that it will involve tons of time spent grinding to level or gear up. Also, as I believe you're a casual player the game is definitely not for you. Actually, the game is being designed so that a casual player will hate it. I'd say stay away from Vanguard.

If you want a hard game that you can play casually, I'd honestly say you should look to DDO. It'll be casual friendly, provided you have a couple friends you can play with, and is a bit more harder than the standard MMO fare. Quite frankly I had no hopes for the game being decent, but the stress test surprised me. Considering how cynical and bitter I am about the genre that's... surprising. And that reminds me, I need to write up a review on it...

Maradon!
posted 12-17-2005 04:59:01 PM
quote:
x--LedO-('-'Q) :
I like hard games!

You're confusing tedium for challenge.

Noxhil2
Pancake
posted 12-17-2005 05:16:32 PM
quote:
This one time, at Maradon! camp:
You're confusing tedium for challenge.

It was only tedious after you mastered it. I remember breaking in Fear the first time... that was hard.

Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 12-17-2005 05:26:26 PM
quote:
Noxhil2 stopped beating up furries long enough to write:
It was only tedious after you mastered it. I remember breaking in Fear the first time... that was hard.

Staring at a spellbook to recover mana was tedious. It was beyond tedious, and I'm ashamed that I spent so long putting up with it.

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 12-17-2005 05:31:18 PM
quote:
Palador ChibiDragon said:
Staring at a spellbook to recover mana was tedious. It was beyond tedious, and I'm ashamed that I spent so long putting up with it.

Don't worry, I feel the same way about grinding Jedi for months, only to have people get it now by pressing a button at character creation.

Sean
posted 12-17-2005 06:57:04 PM
quote:
Mortious got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
Don't worry, I feel the same way about grinding Jedi for months, only to have people get it now by pressing a button at character creation.

Listen Mortious Sony knows exactly what it's doing because it is an industry leader in MMOGS.

A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Toktuk
Pooh Ogre
Keeper of the Shoulders of Peachis Perching
posted 12-17-2005 10:26:23 PM
quote:
So quoth Palador ChibiDragon:

They took away the med book in...Kunark? Velious? It didn't stay that long. EQ had it's mechanics problems, but if you're going to bash it, at least use something relevant.

Anyway, I never sat on my ass. Shaman dance for their mana.

-H

Mr. Parcelan
posted 12-17-2005 11:08:33 PM
Vanguard sounds like generic fantasy without anything really neat about it.

EQ was neat because it was pretty much revolutionary. WoW is neat because it's Warcraft.

Vanguard is...what

Zaza
I don't give a damn.
posted 12-17-2005 11:09:29 PM
SOE has run several previously popular MMORPGs into the ground. Industry leader or not, that is a really telling thing.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 12-17-2005 11:13:36 PM
quote:
Zaza said:
SOE has run several previously popular MMORPGs into the ground. Industry leader or not, that is a really telling thing.

They now have giant billboards that say things like BANK and STARPORT near the respective buildings in a city. They're green and metal and look so bad on Tatooine, and I don't ever remember seeing one in the movies.. nor do I recall Obi Wan pointing at the big garish sign that says "CANTINA" for where they need to be going.

SOE just keeps getting worse. Did you know they removed faction pets? Yes, because those ineffectual AT-ST's and troopers used for roleplaying were so game breaking.

Zaza
I don't give a damn.
posted 12-18-2005 12:14:21 AM
quote:
Mortious got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
They now have giant billboards that say things like BANK and STARPORT near the respective buildings in a city. They're green and metal and look so bad on Tatooine, and I don't ever remember seeing one in the movies.. nor do I recall Obi Wan pointing at the big garish sign that says "CANTINA" for where they need to be going.

SOE just keeps getting worse. Did you know they removed faction pets? Yes, because those ineffectual AT-ST's and troopers used for roleplaying were so game breaking.

Hahahahahaha. That's just horrible.

I'd love to be put in charge of SWG and turn it back into a non-shitty game, really. It seemed like what it needed was improvements to some professions (Squad Leader lol, droids to actually do things for you?), a serious fixing of tradeskills, more use of player towns in the GCW, and a not-shitty Jedimaking system.

Instead it got... NGE.

On the note of AT-STs, is it true that they were easily killable with Flamethrowers?

Zaza fucked around with this message on 12-18-2005 at 12:18 AM.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 12-18-2005 12:29:34 AM
quote:
Led Model 2000 was programmed to say:

Tedium is not challenging. All that does is make the game a niche game and considering Microsoft has their finger in the pie in regards to account management, I seriously doubt it's going to survive six months without some serious changes to make it more appealing in general. Microsoft would be idiots to continue helping something that's only going to appeal to a tiny portion of online gamers.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 12-18-2005 12:31:37 AM
quote:
How.... Hellbender.... uughhhhhh:
They took away the med book in...Kunark? Velious? It didn't stay that long. EQ had it's mechanics problems, but if you're going to bash it, at least use something relevant.

Anyway, I never sat on my ass. Shaman dance for their mana.

-H

They didn't take it out till Brad was gone. I started in Kunark and I remember I had to put up with that thing all the way through Kunark at least and I'm fairly sure through Velious.

Zaza
I don't give a damn.
posted 12-18-2005 12:45:36 AM
quote:
Lyinar Ka`Bael probably should have googled this:
Tedium is not challenging. All that does is make the game a niche game and considering Microsoft has their finger in the pie in regards to account management, I seriously doubt it's going to survive six months without some serious changes to make it more appealing in general. Microsoft would be idiots to continue helping something that's only going to appeal to a tiny portion of online gamers.

Original EQ had some really stupid ideas, but the fact that people romanticize about medding in their book doesn't mean that SOE aren't really really shitty game designers. They have middle managers deciding over the development of games they don't even understand.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 12-18-2005 12:50:40 AM
quote:
Zaza had this to say about Cuba:
Original EQ had some really stupid ideas, but the fact that people romanticize about medding in their book doesn't mean that SOE aren't really really shitty game designers. They have middle managers deciding over the development of games they don't even understand.

They've done fine with EQ2. They made it an enjoyable game supporting a variety of playstyles that doesn't have to be tedious to be good.

Zaza
I don't give a damn.
posted 12-18-2005 01:14:46 AM
quote:
Lyinar Ka`Bael had this to say about Robocop:
They've done fine with EQ2. They made it an enjoyable game supporting a variety of playstyles that doesn't have to be tedious to be good.

I don't play EQ2, and I really don't like that style of gaming, so I'm not going to comment there, but they have pretty much wrecked EQ (ruined economy, casual play, tradeskills, essentially EVERYTHING except raiding), PS (lol) and SWG (lol #2).

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: