EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: SWG New Experience Tutorial Screenshots
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 11-05-2005 01:20:07 AM
Generic Hanger

Han Solo and Chewie rescue you from Imperial Stormtroopers who are under orders to kidnap you

Bang Bang Bang

Chewie telling Han the hyperdrive is broken

Han's reaction

Oh dear

Defending the Falcon from the upper gun turret!

Jumping to lightspeed

Cinematic opening showing the Imperials destroying the station

Cinematic showing the blockade

Cinematic showing the falcon running the blockade

Niklas
hay guys whats going on in this title?
posted 11-05-2005 01:25:15 AM
Wow, Han and Chewie are going to be really busy.

Seriously though, not too bad. At least seems better than the old start.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 11-05-2005 01:30:51 AM
The cinematic engine is now integrated into the game so they can add movies all over the place, just like in KOTOR. They already added one for when you travel to Mustafar.

Also, remember these are just pictures. You can't hear the music nor hear the voice overs and they hired a voice actor who sounds identical to Harrison Ford.

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 11-05-2005 01:31:32 AM
So the whole shebang is on the test server now? Combat still looks like it always was. Is it really like a 3rd person shooter or do you still lock onto shit and fire attacks that you can't dodge by just moving out of the way?
I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Sean
posted 11-05-2005 01:32:15 AM
quote:
Mortious's unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:
they hired a voice actor who sounds identical to Harrison Ford.

Are you sure? Because that sure looks like dialogue ripped directly from A New Hope. Why bother paying for an actor if you can use a thirty year old recording?

A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 11-05-2005 01:33:55 AM
quote:
JooJooFlop said:
So the whole shebang is on the test server now? Combat still looks like it always was. Is it really like a 3rd person shooter or do you still lock onto shit and fire attacks that you can't dodge by just moving out of the way?

It's a cross between FPS and MMORPG, not like Planetside at all. You point and shoot, and use terrain to your advantage.

They're going to dedicate a small team to making a full pass over every game object and adding collision detection, so you can dive behind things. But estimates are it will take them 6 months to do that.

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 11-05-2005 01:34:41 AM
quote:
Sean had this to say about Matthew Broderick:
Are you sure? Because that sure looks like dialogue ripped directly from A New Hope. Why bother paying for an actor if you can use a thirty year old recording?

They'd probably have to pay Ford some kind of royalties to do that and they'd still need the new guy to say any new shit as well.

I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Niklas
posted 11-05-2005 01:35:52 AM
Hmm, this does seem to be moving awfully fast. From announcement to test in 11 days?
JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 11-05-2005 01:38:06 AM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Mortious:
It's a cross between FPS and MMORPG, not like Planetside at all. You point and shoot, and use terrain to your advantage.

They're going to dedicate a small team to making a full pass over every game object and adding collision detection, so you can dive behind things. But estimates are it will take them 6 months to do that.

So, like Fable's combat system but with hitscan projectiles you can't dodge?

Skaw
posted 11-05-2005 02:51:02 AM
That actually...

looks...

really awesome.

Oh man, complimenting SWG hurt.

diadem
eet bugz
posted 11-05-2005 04:14:58 AM
one thing i never got was.... how do you make a blockade in space?

off to the airport!

play da best song in da world or me eet your soul
Niklas
posted 11-05-2005 04:17:51 AM
quote:
diadem's fortune cookie read:

off to the airport!

Shoot anything that moves?

Maradon!
posted 11-05-2005 04:17:59 AM
quote:
diademing:

off to the airport!

er, the same way you'd blockade anything else? Position vessels such that nothing can get from point A to point B without passing within firing range.

Skaw
posted 11-05-2005 04:42:46 AM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when Maradon! said:
er, the same way you'd blockade anything else? Position vessels such that nothing can get from point A to point B without passing within firing range.

But movement in Space is three-dimensional. You'd have to enclose the target in a spheroid of ships.

Maradon!
posted 11-05-2005 06:16:23 AM
quote:
Skawing:
But movement in Space is three-dimensional. You'd have to enclose the target in a spheroid of ships.

Yeah, a spheroid of ships only just dense enough for each ship's range of fire to meet that of the next.

Also, remember, the empire has near infinite resources to draw upon.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 11-05-2005 06:25:30 AM
Something that may not be apparent is the rate of fire for blasters has been increased 1000 fold. Not the rate of damage, just the graphical way the bolts are displayed. Pistols for example re-fire extremely quickly like Jango Fett's pistols in EP2.

Now large battles will have blaster bolts flying absolutely everywhere just like the movies. Like it should be.

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 11-05-2005 07:25:49 AM
quote:
Mortious had this to say about Duck Tales:
Generic Hanger

[xIMG]http://homepage.ntlworld.com/the_avatar/screenShot0014.jpg[/IMG]

You liar. I don't see a hanger in that hangar.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Peter
Pancake
posted 11-05-2005 08:24:12 AM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Mortious:
Something that may not be apparent is the rate of fire for blasters has been increased 1000 fold. Not the rate of damage, just the graphical way the bolts are displayed. Pistols for example re-fire extremely quickly like Jango Fett's pistols in EP2.

Now large battles will have blaster bolts flying absolutely everywhere just like the movies. Like it should be.

Any chance they will finally allow dual weild pistolas?

--also those shtos from the inside of the YT...Man maybe I shuold've bought one? Have/will they up the ship slots at all?

Peter fucked around with this message on 11-05-2005 at 08:28 AM.

Talonus
Loner
posted 11-05-2005 08:38:05 AM
quote:
Mortious had this to say about Knight Rider:
The cinematic engine is now integrated into the game so they can add movies all over the place, just like in KOTOR. They already added one for when you travel to Mustafar.

Finally someone takes a cue from FFXI! Well, sort of like FFXI at least.

BetaTested
Not gay, but loves the cock!
posted 11-05-2005 09:35:10 AM
I'm going to reactivate my account for a while sometime after all of these changes are made to see how the game plays. I don't know if I'll keep it active though, I don't have much spare time for an MMO, especially with the holiday season coming up when I work retail.

Got Xfire? Join me in the crusade to knock WoW from it's lofty #1 most played Xfire game with Solitare!
Caid '5 Fists' Berrit
I've had a few beers but I'm cool to drive
posted 11-05-2005 11:33:30 AM
Oh man, that looks awesome. I'll most likely play again when this is released.
'But if I had a shotgun you know what I'd do?
I'd point that shit straight at the sky and shoot heavan on down for you'

Bradley Nowell
Gork
Pancake
posted 11-06-2005 12:45:43 AM
Im really hoping these changes reinvigorate the game... Just have to decide what class to play... I'm Thinking Commando, but Ill have to fall back to Bounty Hunter if it sucks.

I read the Dev's letter and the attached notes, any new details on the classes coming to light?

Gork fucked around with this message on 11-06-2005 at 12:46 AM.

Another Unsolved Mystery is goin' down in history.
Kaiote
Shot in the Face
posted 11-06-2005 10:44:22 PM
Patching.....
Henry had been killed by a garden gnome.He had fallen off the roof onto that cheerful-looking figure. The gnome was made of concrete. Henry wasn't. - Dean Koontz, Velocity
JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 11-06-2005 10:57:23 PM
quote:
Kaiote had this to say about the Spice Girls:
Patching.....

I'm very close to doing this myself.

Fizodeth
an unflattering title
posted 11-06-2005 11:03:49 PM
So.. are they giving trials with this stuff?
JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 11-06-2005 11:09:12 PM
quote:
Fizodeth was naked while typing this:
So.. are they giving trials with this stuff?

Yeah, on the 15th they'll let you try the tutorial for free which is supposed to allow you to bring a character as high as Lv.10.

Caid '5 Fists' Berrit
posted 11-07-2005 12:28:06 AM
quote:
JooJooFlop obviously shouldn't have said:
I'm very close to doing this myself.

Patched all day today and now I'm running space missions until the 15th.

Bradley Nowell
JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 11-07-2005 03:03:53 AM
Reinstalled, resubscribed, patched and hopped on a test server to try a medic. This game will be fun if they can do something about the crippling lag and frame rate problems. Plus I hope they eventually let me physically dodge enemy attacks in the near future.
Mightion Defensor
posted 11-07-2005 03:26:27 AM
If I'd been thinking clearly, it would have occured to me to copy my SWG folder over to my Test Center folder before patching, not remembering an hour ago after three hours of downloading.

Especially since my Test Center version was the initial Combat Upgrade open beta version.

Mightion Defensor
posted 11-07-2005 02:40:00 PM
Okay, this new SWG seems to possess a certain amount of awesomeness. I'm wandering around TC2 in a Padawan robe wielding a gun and an inventory full of veteran rewards - not anything new.

I was able to use /segoggles and /flashspeeder, too

I just wish I knew why it keeps saying level up from time to time over my head even when just walking around... I throught we didn't need to see trainers or anything?

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 11-07-2005 02:55:17 PM
quote:
Mightion Defensor impressed everyone with:

/segoggles

/donothing
~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Mightion Defensor
posted 11-07-2005 03:09:26 PM
quote:
It has been ordained by Primus, that there will be a Chosen One who will use the Matrix to "light our darkest hour." That darkest hour may come sooner if Tarquinn keeps posting things like this:
/donothing

It only works if you have the Special Edition.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 11-07-2005 06:10:38 PM
how the fuck are you all connecting to one of the test centers?

I can't even connect

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 11-07-2005 06:12:29 PM
quote:
Falaanla Marr had this to say about (_|_):
how the fuck are you all connecting to one of the test centers?

I can't even connect

Luck has a lot to do with it.

You arn't missing much, though. Right now the lag and frame rate issues are keeping it from being very enjoyable.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 11-07-2005 10:36:00 PM
quote:
Mightion Defensor said:
I just wish I knew why it keeps saying level up from time to time over my head even when just walking around... I throught we didn't need to see trainers or anything?

That means someone near you has levelled up, it's a bug they have to fix.

Kaiote
Shot in the Face
posted 11-07-2005 11:07:24 PM
Oddly..

Running the new game on TC is choppy, and laggy, but works fine on this laptop, even tho it has integrated video and low ram (512).

Regular SWG crashes from something in the video drivers. (Yes, I updated)

Henry had been killed by a garden gnome.He had fallen off the roof onto that cheerful-looking figure. The gnome was made of concrete. Henry wasn't. - Dean Koontz, Velocity
Arrenn Lightblade
Yes. Yes he is.
posted 11-08-2005 12:09:17 AM
I..I..Want to play.
Caid '5 Fists' Berrit
posted 11-08-2005 02:32:27 AM
I can't even find the test servers to try to connect to them...

Bradley Nowell
Kaiote
Shot in the Face
posted 11-08-2005 02:51:38 AM
quote:
Caid '5 Fists' Berrit had this to say about Punky Brewster:

Click the link at login that says "Test Center"

And hope they aren't spammed to hell.. tho, they cloned Corbantis earlier, so there should be less people on the others now.

Mightion Defensor
posted 11-08-2005 02:53:01 AM
quote:
Caid '5 Fists' Berrit wrote their words upon the rocks;

Open the regular launchpad, and after you put in your username and password, there's a button atthe bottom that says "Test Center". Log into that, and prepare for a VERY long patch.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: