EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Gamers Please : )
Lady Delirium
Drysart loves me!
posted 07-26-2005 09:55:11 PM
im looking for new super awesome mmorpg to get into with a friend of mine and i thought this would be the best place to ask what you guys like

so er..suggestions please

yes, that is maradon spining around in a chair ^_ ____ _ ^
Ruvyen
Cartoon Broccoli Boy
posted 07-26-2005 09:55:41 PM
WoW.
Thief: "I have come to a realisation. Dragons are not real in a general sense, but they may exist in certain specific cases."
Fighter: "Like how quantum mechanics describes how subatomic particles can spontaneously pop into existence at random!"
Thief: "No, that's stupid and stop making up words."
--8-Bit Theater
Hostile Makeover
Evil as chocolate covered thistles
posted 07-26-2005 09:57:11 PM
Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 07-26-2005 09:59:24 PM
Has your friend played MMO's before? What kind of environments do you two enjoy? I'd say WoW is a safe bet for fun between both newbs and MMO veterans.
My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
Batty
Doesn't Like You. Specifically you.
posted 07-26-2005 10:10:17 PM
Prediction: People will say their favorite MMO and then say except where they play.
Aaron (the good one)
posted 07-26-2005 10:18:26 PM
Everquest
Galbadia Hotel - Video Game Music
I am Canadian and I hate The Tragically Hip
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 07-26-2005 10:19:35 PM
Not SWG.
El Cuchillo
RETARD! DO NOT FEED!
posted 07-26-2005 10:19:57 PM
Meridian 59!
Strip Club - Online Comic Reader and Archiver for Linux and Windows (and maybe OSX)
Maradon!
posted 07-26-2005 10:23:32 PM
quote:
Battying:
Prediction: People will say their favorite MMO and then say except where they play.

Actually, I was going to post The Chart, and then say to play on Doomhammer.

So at least in my case, you were wrong.

Lady Delirium
Drysart loves me!
posted 07-26-2005 10:25:58 PM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when El Cuchillo said:
Meridian 59!

my friend wants to uh know..if you played m59 3D0 107

Lady Delirium fucked around with this message on 07-26-2005 at 10:27 PM.

yes, that is maradon spining around in a chair ^_ ____ _ ^
Batty
Doesn't Like You. Specifically you.
posted 07-26-2005 10:27:22 PM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when Maradon! said:
Actually, I was going to post The Chart, and then say to play on Doomhammer.

So at least in my case, you were wrong.

I was saying in my head, "Except Maradon." I knew I should've added that.

Willias
Pancake
posted 07-26-2005 10:30:54 PM
quote:
From the book of Lady Delirium, chapter 3, verse 16:
im looking for new super awesome mmorpg to get into with a friend of mine and i thought this would be the best place to ask what you guys like

so er..suggestions please

"New super awesome" isn't a very good way to describe what you're looking for. All you'll get as a response is what everyone's favorite MMO is.

That being said, World of Warcraft is probably the most popular MMO in EC. Followed by Star Wars Galaxies and City of Heroes.

Or the title of each and every MMO that has ever existed. -_-

Willias fucked around with this message on 07-26-2005 at 10:32 PM.

El Cuchillo
RETARD! DO NOT FEED!
posted 07-26-2005 10:30:55 PM
quote:
Batty stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:
I was saying in my head, "Except Maradon." I knew I should've added that.

I think most of us have stopped listening to him anyway.

quote:
my friend wants to uh know..if you played m59 3D0 107

Actually, I've never played it, I just wanted to throw that in there. It's more than likely the sort of game I WOULD have played if I'd known about it much earlier.

Strip Club - Online Comic Reader and Archiver for Linux and Windows (and maybe OSX)
Trent
Smurfberry Moneyshot
posted 07-26-2005 10:31:58 PM
UO
Damnati
Filthy
posted 07-26-2005 10:32:34 PM
WoW is great fun. If you show up on Uther Horde and send a tell to Danaerys, I and my friends/guildies can hook you up with good stuff and run you through the annoying lowbie crap.
Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 07-26-2005 10:34:00 PM
quote:
Verily, Xyrra doth proclaim:
CoH.

Any server but Guardian.

I've been on the test server ever since Issue 5 went on it. I hope they push it live soon.

I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Willias
Pancake
posted 07-26-2005 10:34:59 PM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Kuroi Madoushi said:
WoW is great fun. If you show up on Uther Horde and send a tell to Danaerys, I and my friends/guildies can hook you up with good stuff and run you through the annoying lowbie crap.

The "newbie crap" was pretty fun the first couple of times you go through it. Admit it. It's only annoying after you've started experiencing some of the cool mid-level stuff and it's boring to go back down to step 1.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 07-26-2005 10:38:22 PM
quote:
Willias spewed forth this undeniable truth:
The "newbie crap" was pretty fun the first couple of times you go through it. Admit it. It's only annoying after you've started experiencing some of the cool mid-level stuff and it's boring to go back down to step 1.

True dat. I do have some noob alts that need to do the lowbie crap too, though. Either way, it's always nice to have level 60 friends around to help farm shit.

Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 07-26-2005 10:47:26 PM
Lvl 35-40 piss me off. That and 46-50. Those are the only little spots where I don't like the quest selection.
Damnati
Filthy
posted 07-26-2005 10:51:55 PM
quote:
Naimah's unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:
Lvl 35-40 piss me off. That and 46-50. Those are the only little spots where I don't like the quest selection.

You do know about the new villages in Searing Gorge and The Hinterlands, right?

Vise the Stompy
Title now 100% ass free!
posted 07-27-2005 12:36:47 AM
I think if you want to dive into the traditional idea of mmorpg, then WoW is at the top of the game. If you want to be apart of an unstoppable dictatorship*Namely Mort's*, then join SWG. If you want something solely dediciated to busting heads, then I suggest CoH.
Kait
has made another completely pointless and off-topic post that nobody cares about
posted 07-27-2005 01:14:00 AM
Ragnarok Online!
Ahaha... *puts on flame-retardant suit*
"A black cat dropped soundlessly from a high wall, like a spoonful of dark treacle and melted under the gate."
-Elizabeth Lemarchand
Chugga
Pancake
posted 07-27-2005 01:22:15 AM
Guild Wars, pretty private environment, and can get quite competitive PvP wise at the end.

For just you and a friend planning on grouping alot, I think it'd work out pretty well.

Kait
has made another completely pointless and off-topic post that nobody cares about
posted 07-27-2005 01:32:14 AM
quote:
Doomie wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
Guild Wars, pretty private environment, and can get quite competitive PvP wise at the end.

For just you and a friend planning on grouping alot, I think it'd work out pretty well.

I watched the guild wars video a few times at Comic-Con. So pretty...I really wanna get back to WoW AND try Guild Wars, but I had to cancel my account so I could afford my phone bill. It pisses me off -_-

"A black cat dropped soundlessly from a high wall, like a spoonful of dark treacle and melted under the gate."
-Elizabeth Lemarchand
Chugga
Pancake
posted 07-27-2005 01:44:52 AM
quote:
Kait's unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:
I watched the guild wars video a few times at Comic-Con. So pretty...I really wanna get back to WoW AND try Guild Wars, but I had to cancel my account so I could afford my phone bill. It pisses me off -_-

GW is free so it is pretty worth it. I've been having fun toying with it.

Vorago
A completely different kind of Buckethead
posted 07-27-2005 04:15:24 AM
Well, there are many good reasons WoW is the most popular MMO in the world right now (3.5 Million subscribers, check the chart Maradon posted for comparison).

Were I to say anything else people would just go "omg you just say that because you play it", so sticking with the hard numbers

tFUCKING RETARD
Pancake
posted 07-27-2005 04:23:13 AM
D&D Online...what?
There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive.
El Cuchillo
RETARD! DO NOT FEED!
posted 07-27-2005 04:51:13 AM
quote:
Vorago Model 2000 was programmed to say:
Well, there are many good reasons WoW is the most popular MMO in the world right now (3.5 Million subscribers, check the chart Maradon posted for comparison).

Were I to say anything else people would just go "omg you just say that because you play it", so sticking with the hard numbers

The problem with constantly bringing that up is that it's exactly backwards. Something that's good is usually popular. Something that's popular is not necessarily good (just look at the music industry). A implies B, but B does not necessarily imply A!

Edited for clarity.

El Cuchillo fucked around with this message on 07-27-2005 at 04:53 AM.

Skaw
posted 07-27-2005 04:56:14 AM
Anarchy Online!
Maradon!
posted 07-27-2005 05:02:32 AM
quote:
Over the mountain, in between the ups and downs, I ran into El Cuchillo who doth quote:
The problem with constantly bringing that up is that it's exactly backwards. Something that's good is usually popular. Something that's popular is not necessarily good (just look at the music industry). A implies B, but B does not necessarily imply A!

It's elementary economics that people simply don't buy things they don't like, so your assumption that "things that are popular are not always good" is incorrect.

Say what you want about nsync and hanson, but the people who buy their albums do so because, to them, their music is good and worth buying.

When X is more popular than Y, it means that a greater number of people found X good and worth buying, and really that's the only meaningful determination of what is and is not "good".

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 07-27-2005 05:20:56 AM
quote:
Vorago said:
Well, there are many good reasons WoW is the most popular MMO in the world right now

Becuase they have competent devs probably. Unlike most/all SOE games.

.. and doesn't Lineage 1 and 2 have a lot more?

Mod
Pancake
posted 07-27-2005 05:27:37 AM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about pies:
It's elementary economics that people simply don't buy things they don't like, so your assumption that "things that are popular are not always good" is incorrect.

Say what you want about nsync and hanson, but the people who buy their albums do so because, to them, their music is good and worth buying.

When X is more popular than Y, it means that a greater number of people found X good and worth buying, and really that's the only meaningful determination of what is and is not "good".

Left Behind is quality literature? Halo is the best FPS ever? Sacrifice is a game that absolutely sucks?

You also got your elementary economics wrong, many more factors than quality alone influence sales numbers, don't forget marketing, price, availability, customer base, competition, overall economic conditions, etc. Trying to equate quality to popularity simply based on the fact that people buy things they like while discounting all the other factors that go into a purchase is somewhat naive.

Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Skaw
posted 07-27-2005 06:01:30 AM
quote:
Mortious had this to say about Optimus Prime:

Of those 1.5 Million Chinese accounts WoW has, what percentage of them aren't part of a Gold selling business?

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 07-27-2005 10:32:03 AM
Hello Kitty World
Vorago
A completely different kind of Buckethead
posted 07-27-2005 10:53:23 AM
quote:
Mortious wrote this stupid crap:

The Chart Maradon Posted

Lineage 1 was at a little under 2 million in the middle of a LARGE drop (From an all time high of almost 3.25 million)

Lineage 2 was at about 2.1 million, starting to plateau after an earlier climb

WoW has them beat by a large margin unless somehow, during WoW's big release, either of the game gained over 1.5 million subscribers (Incidently, how many WoW gained)

WoW is currently higher than Lineage 1's lifetime highest, which WAS the most popular MMO for a very long time. Heck, WoW's current subscriber point is actually higher than the chart even has listed, heh.

Vorago fucked around with this message on 07-27-2005 at 10:54 AM.

Manticore
Not Much Fun Anymore
posted 07-27-2005 11:31:52 AM
Diablo 2
"France tried to turtle, but Hitler did a tank rush before they were ready. Just shows how horribly unbalanced real life is. They should release a patch."
bloodletter
Pancake
posted 07-27-2005 12:15:07 PM
Hey i'm Lady Delirium's "friend" that she is lookin to play a super awesome game with..

I've played (some more than others...) WoW, GW, EQ2, L2, M59, UO, AO, M59, EQ, SB...

I liked EQ1 and Shadowbane the most.. We've discussed possibly L2 or FF.. but i'm told the pvp in FF is pretty horrible? (i've been spoiled with M59 and SB pvp which were both out of this world)

My beef with WoW was how simple the game is (the skill trees and such) and the game just feels like it was made for 12 year olds... (i made it to level 30 and got bored and quit)

How is the content (items, interesting places, etc) in FF?
What about in L2? (i was in open beta lineage2 only made it to like lvl 10 or so, got the basic feel for the game, i liked it but the game's terrain seemed limitted)

My school has a really nasty firewall/port blocking scheme goin on so whatever game we pick needs to use less than 5 ports so i can convince the network guys to open them (EQ1 and EQ2 require NO FIREWALL...) they've already unblocked WoW i think, and L2 uses 3 ports...

Snoota
Now I am become Death, shatterer of worlds
posted 07-27-2005 12:20:33 PM
Lady D has no friends.
Alaan
posted 07-27-2005 01:00:15 PM
quote:
bloodletter painfully thought these words up:

I liked EQ1 and Shadowbane the most..

No offense but BWAHAHAHAHA on the Shadowbane.

Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 07-27-2005 01:01:23 PM
How bout DAoC?
Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Pouncer of the 12th degree!
"Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: