EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Explosions in London
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 07-07-2005 05:49:23 AM
It seems as if a series of bombs has exploded in London.

Things are still a little bit sketchy.

BBC-Link
(Might take a while to load because of heavy traffic.)

Tarquinn fucked around with this message on 07-07-2005 at 05:49 AM.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 07-07-2005 05:50:45 AM
So who do they think did it? FRANCE?!
Tarquinn
posted 07-07-2005 05:51:48 AM
Don't make me slap you with my humongous cock.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 07-07-2005 05:52:22 AM
quote:
Tarquinn had this to say about pies:
Don't make me slap you with my humongous cock.

Everything's big in Berlin.

But seriously, any suspects? Death toll?

Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 07-07-2005 05:52:49 AM
Well, never let it be said that ECers don't pay attention to the news.
Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 07-07-2005 05:55:26 AM
No official death toll yet, but reporters are giving accounts that there's some pretty serious injuries at the blast sites, and the entire subway system is shut down.

Just what I heard on NBC, may not be accurate.

Tarquinn
posted 07-07-2005 05:56:26 AM
Here's another link.

Another link

No numbers yet.

Tarquinn fucked around with this message on 07-07-2005 at 05:58 AM.

Gadani
U
posted 07-07-2005 05:56:55 AM
Okay then.

Gadani fucked around with this message on 07-07-2005 at 05:59 AM.

Tarquinn
posted 07-07-2005 05:58:43 AM
Nothing to see here, move on.

Tarquinn fucked around with this message on 07-07-2005 at 06:00 AM.

Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 07-07-2005 05:59:47 AM
Updated numbers. 3 busses blown up, and 6 blasts in the subway.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 07-07-2005 06:03:13 AM
Current conspiracy theory: Jealous Frenchmen after London was elected to be the Olympic host.

Weird idea, though.

Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 07-07-2005 06:09:05 AM
Jokes aside, I wouldn't be surprised if this was some IRA Remnant, given what all's going on in that part of the world right now.

Between the Olympic announcement and the G8 summit...

I mean, could be Al Queda too, but it's too early to tell. For all we know, it could be some smaller group.

Given that there were multiple explosions all within minutes of each other, I think it's safe to say that it's an attack of some sort. Coincidences don't come that big.

Gadani
U
posted 07-07-2005 06:10:44 AM
Forgive my ignorance, but what is IRA?
Mr. Parcelan
posted 07-07-2005 06:11:49 AM
quote:
Gadani stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:
Forgive my ignorance, but what is IRA?

Irish Republican Army, I think.

The Al Qaeda of Britain.

Gadani
U
posted 07-07-2005 06:12:07 AM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan had this to say about dark elf butts:
Irish Republican Army, I think.

The Al Qaeda of Britain.

I see.

Tarquinn
posted 07-07-2005 06:16:30 AM
It's far too big to be a IRA thing in my opinion.
Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 07-07-2005 06:19:43 AM
Ten explosions only takes, at most, ten people with a good plan. For all we know, this could just be some really well prepared guy with a lot of technical knowhow , a lot of free time, and a beef against Britain for some reason.

Looking at what's going on in the world though, the location of this just makes the IRA the most likely culprits, at least in my opinion.

New Age Bane
Waste Management Crisis
posted 07-07-2005 06:20:16 AM
Woah, didn't see that coming.
What am I supposed to in here again? Oh yes something witty and oh so pretty!
Niklas
hay guys whats going on in this title?
posted 07-07-2005 06:20:28 AM
Yep, too big and too organised. Not I.R.A. Doesn't follow their M.O. really. It *might* be but it seems unlikely. edit: Remember the Madrid bombings and how they targetted the infrastructure too for example.

I say an international thing connected to the G8. Or maybe that's what they WANT us to think :tinhat:

Anyway, everyone I know seems to be alright but my brother has basically shut himself into his flat because there's absolutely no danger of a blast in his shitty area and my mother is in meetings at the moment near the center. She's alright at the moment and I think the blasts are probably over so she should be fine.

Honestly, I'm not shocked or surprised. We were about due for an attack.

Niklas fucked around with this message on 07-07-2005 at 06:21 AM.

Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 07-07-2005 06:23:29 AM
quote:
Niklas's account was hax0red to write:
Yep, too big and too organised. Not I.R.A. Doesn't follow their M.O. really. It *might* be but it seems unlikely. edit: Remember the Madrid bombings and how they targetted the infrastructure too for example.

I say an international thing connected to the G8. Or maybe that's what they WANT us to think :tinhat:

Anyway, everyone I know seems to be alright but my brother has basically shut himself into his flat because there's absolutely no danger of a blast in his shitty area and my mother is in meetings at the moment near the center. She's alright at the moment and I think the blasts are probably over so she should be fine.

Honestly, I'm not shocked or surprised. We were about due for an attack.

I do agree with you about the M.O., but one thing to bear in mind is that terrorists of any sort do a good job of learning from each other. The insurgency in Iraq has been using coordinated attacks with pretty marked success to get in the news.

Y.O.T.C
No longer a Towel Girl
posted 07-07-2005 06:24:54 AM
Whats that tom clancy book about the IRA? Movie had harrison ford i think?

Anyways, Yes the IRA are mean and nasty and blow shit up alot. I have family in Ireland so I'm gona try and call them and see whats up.

Niklas
posted 07-07-2005 06:40:55 AM
quote:
Mooj had this to say about Optimus Prime:
I do agree with you about the M.O., but one thing to bear in mind is that terrorists of any sort do a good job of learning from each other. The insurgency in Iraq has been using coordinated attacks with pretty marked success to get in the news.

True but it's a little pointless for them to make such a huge incident at the moment anyway. They're doing alright in Ireland and nothing much has changed to bring something like this about.

It's marginally more likely that it's the same sort of people (or an affiliated group) who did the Madrid bombings. And THEY were likely to be affiliated with al Qua'eda because of the target. Biggest supporter of the U.S in europe barring England but Madrid was an easier target. True, the basque rebels may have been responsible but they'd never shown the coordination needed for this before. Likewise the I.R.A. Meanwhile, al Qua'eda has a history of well planned and co-ordinated attacks.

edit: Note that I tend to be suspicious that everything tends to be blamed on al Qua'eda but this is too much of a coincidence to be otherwise, in my humble and not ridiculously informed opinion.

Niklas fucked around with this message on 07-07-2005 at 06:42 AM.

Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 07-07-2005 06:47:15 AM
The people who did the Madrid bombing are likely suspects too, but I look at the IRA for one other reason.

Al Qaeda (Or however the fuck it's spelled) has no reason to attack Britain. It would be the stupidest move they could make, strategically. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't most people on that side of the ocean think that the US is off on some crazy crusade against Iraq and Al Fucking Middle Eastern Word?

If they attacked the British, that would be a DAMN fast way to change public opinion. By leaving you guys alone they're doing a damn good job of cutting into the US's pool of potential allies.

Niklas
posted 07-07-2005 06:55:21 AM
Consider overseas we're percieved as the greatest ally of the U.S.

Of course many people, including myself, believe the current U.S administrations is mostly off its rocker, our administration supports yours.

The I.R.A of course has a reason to hit us but so does al Qua'eda and al Qua'eda seems far more capable of it than the I.R.A

As I say, I could be wrong and it's hard to say what it could be at the moment so it's all just silly speculation. That's the stupid thing about terrorist attacks though, they do it to be recognised and to further their own position but it's almost impossible to tell who did what in any attack, even if some group claims it did it. Seems to me that half the time they do it to aquire freedom fighter kudos points from other terrorist organisations. Maybe they have a whisky bar somewhere where they all meet up and compare

Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 07-07-2005 06:55:31 AM
UPDATE

British police have confirmed the presence of explosive materials at the scene of one of the blasts. Nobody really thought otherwise, but this is confirmation that there was a bomb and it wasn't an accident.

Tony Blair's going to be holding a press conference in just a few minutes.

Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 07-07-2005 06:58:39 AM
quote:
Niklas enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:
Consider overseas we're percieved as the greatest ally of the U.S.

Of course many people, including myself, believe the current U.S administrations is mostly off its rocker, our administration supports yours.

The I.R.A of course has a reason to hit us but so does al Qua'eda and al Qua'eda seems far more capable of it than the I.R.A

As I say, I could be wrong and it's hard to say what it could be at the moment so it's all just silly speculation. That's the stupid thing about terrorist attacks though, they do it to be recognised and to further their own position but it's almost impossible to tell who did what in any attack, even if some group claims it did it. Seems to me that half the time they do it to aquire freedom fighter kudos points from other terrorist organisations. Maybe they have a whisky bar somewhere where they all meet up and compare

Very true. Unfortunately, speculation is always rampant in these situations. I'm going to be very eager to get some stone cold facts about all of this.

Yeah, the fact that you guys are our allies does make you a target, but I still think that the fact that public opinion is massively against us makes this a very unwise thing for them to do.

Still... we won't know until later. I hate the waiting game.

Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 07-07-2005 07:00:50 AM
Tony Blair is talking right at this minute, turn on your TVs if you want to hear him.
Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 07-07-2005 07:06:12 AM
Update: An Al Qaeda website is claiming responsibility for the bombings, but their site was updated after the bombing, not in tandem or before. No confirmation of any specific group responsible yet.
Niklas
posted 07-07-2005 07:07:52 AM
quote:
Mooj stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:
Tony Blair is talking right at this minute, turn on your TVs if you want to hear him.

I don't like the bugger but alright, moving to T.V room again.

edit: al Qua'eda have claimed responsibility

Niklas fucked around with this message on 07-07-2005 at 07:09 AM.

Y.O.T.C
No longer a Towel Girl
posted 07-07-2005 07:26:06 AM
Yep, relatives didn't know anything about it till I told them.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 07-07-2005 07:40:16 AM
quote:
Nobody really understood why Mooj wrote:
Al Qaeda (Or however the fuck it's spelled) has no reason to attack Britain. It would be the stupidest move they could make, strategically. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't most people on that side of the ocean think that the US is off on some crazy crusade against Iraq and Al Fucking Middle Eastern Word?

Not really, since an attack on Madrid caused those dweebs to pull out.

So, hey, kudos to Spain for giving the terrorists guts to attack anyone else

Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 07-07-2005 07:44:36 AM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Mr. Parcelan:
Not really, since an attack on Madrid caused those dweebs to pull out.

So, hey, kudos to Spain for giving the terrorists guts to attack anyone else

Yeah, but modern day Spaniards are nothing but pussies. They're like French people, only they smell better.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 07-07-2005 07:45:57 AM
quote:
Mooj stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:
Yeah, but modern day Spaniards are nothing but pussies. They're like French people, only they smell better.

Let's not let this turn into a racial slurfest (French jokes are okay, since those aren't slurs but proven facts).

But really, if Britain pulls out because of this we can expect a long, dark string of attacks on the rest of the world.

Niklas
posted 07-07-2005 08:46:43 AM
Nah, we're not going to. Now we're in, we're in. We're following the plan we had before and I don't see that changing.

I disagree with going in in the first place but we need to finish what we started.

Jackman
Racist Hermaphroditic Midget
posted 07-07-2005 08:51:09 AM
Let's all go to the winchester until this blows over, we will be safe there.
Peter: I'm not afraid of anything, I laugh in the face of Death. See HAHAHAHA.
Death: Oh great! Thanks a lot. As if it wasnt already hard enough to fit in.

Some people are like Slinkys... Not really good for anything, But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 07-07-2005 09:03:55 AM
Not to be too complimentary of the bombers here, but they did a good job of picking their attack. From what I remember of London, it's always full of traffic on the streets, so the subway's always packed. By shutting it down for the time it'll take to repair/clean up everything they've stopped a lot of people from going to jobs and such. Along with bombing a closed in area like a subway, the explosion travelled along the tunnel, so a smaller bomb destroyed more of the subway's cars. Scares me to think of how well they thought this through.
My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 07-07-2005 09:36:50 AM
quote:
Rodent King Model 2000 was programmed to say:
Not to be too complimentary of the bombers here, but they did a good job of picking their attack. From what I remember of London, it's always full of traffic on the streets, so the subway's always packed. By shutting it down for the time it'll take to repair/clean up everything they've stopped a lot of people from going to jobs and such. Along with bombing a closed in area like a subway, the explosion travelled along the tunnel, so a smaller bomb destroyed more of the subway's cars. Scares me to think of how well they thought this through.

And they've pretty much disabled the phone systems from the overload of calls from Londoners.

Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Pouncer of the 12th degree!
"Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 07-07-2005 09:46:56 AM
quote:
Channeling the spirit of Sherlock Holmes, Katrinity absently fondled Watson and proclaimed:
And they've pretty much disabled the phone systems from the overload of calls from Londoners.

That'll happen after any large event--same thing happened in Northern California after the '89 earthquake. Couldn't get ahold of my wife for hours to see if she was alright.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

leckzilla!
Squeak!
posted 07-07-2005 10:22:57 AM
Just got news about this while I was moving out of my apartment. I've been trying to get hold of the londoners at my university but nothing because the mobile networks are all fucked.
Kaglaaz How'ler
Pancake
posted 07-07-2005 10:32:18 AM
quote:
leckzilla! was listening to Cher while typing:
Just got news about this while I was moving out of my apartment. I've been trying to get hold of the londoners at my university but nothing because the mobile networks are all fucked.

Was just going to ask about you. Wasn't sure if you were a Londoner or not. Mort isn't I know that. Now I need to find out about a friend of mine who is in the Air Force and is in the London area. He's married to a girl from there...

http://www.bloodfin.net
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: