EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Wachovia apologiezes for slavery ties
BetaTested
Not gay, but loves the cock!
posted 06-02-2005 11:31:32 AM
Requiring this kind of stuff is dumb as all hell IMO. I don't under stand why cities are requiring this kind of crap. It's a great waste of time and money for something that happened 150 years ago and isn't going to change a damned thing now.

Got Xfire? Join me in the crusade to knock WoW from it's lofty #1 most played Xfire game with Solitare!
Maradon!
posted 06-02-2005 01:10:47 PM
In other news, the children of a serial killer were put to death for their father's crimes.
Faelynn LeAndris
Lusty busty redheaded wood elf with sharp claws
posted 06-02-2005 03:06:51 PM
And people wonder why racism still exists...

My LAUNCHCast Station
"Respect the Forest, Fear the Ranger"
I got lost for an hour and became god.
Mod
Pancake
posted 06-02-2005 03:13:56 PM
quote:
From the book of Faelynn LeAndris, chapter 3, verse 16:

Right, it's the fault of people apologizing for their companies existance being founded on slavery. The money those companies made with the slave trade 150 years ago was used to create the wealth that they own today, what's wring with a gesture of apology?

Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Naimah
In a Fire
posted 06-02-2005 03:17:34 PM
quote:
Mod wrote this stupid crap:
Right, it's the fault of people apologizing for their companies existance being founded on slavery. The money those companies made with the slave trade 150 years ago was used to create the wealth that they own today, what's wring with a gesture of apology?

The people in charge right now have nothing to do with it. In fact the Wachovia group had no direct connection to slavery at all, just merely indirect connections through acquisitions. The fact that they had to, by law, come out and produce bad publicity for themselves is obsurd. No one alive owned slaves or was a slave. It was a mistake, lets move on.

Faelynn LeAndris
posted 06-02-2005 03:19:44 PM
quote:
Mod spewed forth this undeniable truth:

Unless you missed something it's a forced legislative appology which brings up aspects that few to no slave decendants even know about, let alone most any of the American population unless this historical archivists run across it. Which it then opens up the doors for those 'decendants' to file grievances against said companies for crimes or buisness practices that haven't existed for alomost 200 years.

If the companies weren't forced or compelled to bring up practices that happened over 150 years ago, not a damn person alive today would know, or care, about it. And thus hatred died with it. This on the other hand just brings it all back to light, and stirs up another shitfest. This is as stupid as the other article about protecting your home being racist.

My LAUNCHCast Station
Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 06-02-2005 03:25:22 PM
Ok lets show Mods lack of reading ability again. Or maybe just his bias.

quote:
Historians at the History Factory, a research firm specializing in corporate archival work, found that the Georgia Railroad and Banking Company and the Bank of Charleston -- institutions that ultimately became part of Wachovia through acquisitions -- owned slaves, Wachovia said in the statement.

And from that Mod gets

quote:

So somehow they made their wealth off of slaves even though the only information given is that one of the companies that they at one point acquired, had owned slaves. Hmmm.. Wow That is a stretch even for you.

The problem here is that the government is mandating these apologies. What next? Since I am white should I have to make an apology too? Maybe I should just give up all my savings to poor black families since they are only poor because of evil white oppressors like me.

"Pacifism is a privilege of the protected"
Hostile Makeover
Evil as chocolate covered thistles
posted 06-02-2005 03:45:56 PM
Onos. My bank had something to do with slavery! I'd better run out and do the PC thing, and put all of my money elsewhere!

Gimmie a fucking break. It's a tragic time in history, but really, those of us who are around today had no influence upon it whatsoever. Move the hell on already, find a new soapbox!

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 06-02-2005 04:06:13 PM
I'm part Native American. Enough Native American that if there were ever financial kickbacks from the government or apologies sent out that I'd end up with part of it. The Native Americans were even more oppressed (and for a longer period) than black slaveholders were. Just getting that out right now at the start.

I think the idea of owing anyone an apology for the moderately distant past is wrong. It's negative thinking. It's important to remember the past, but chasing people around for the next few centuries condemning them for the actions of their ancestors is stupid. It's like original sin, except there's actual evidence that someone at some time in the past committed an actual crime (by today's standards).

Are the Africans expected to apologize to the Arabs for what went down in Arabia and Eastern Africa 2000 years ago? No? Why not? Are Africans expected to apologize to the Hispanics for invading Spain? No? Why not? Do we hold a deep wound in our hearts for the Canadians' burning of Washington DC in (I believe) the War of 1812?

At a certain point, there's no reason for apologizing, even if you were the right person to do the apologizing. No one alive in the United States today has committed a crime on the level of racial slavery. Likewise, keep in mind that at the time, while there were dissenters, slavery was still legal and part of society. Society evolved past that, but it had to go there to get where we are today. Who are we, born and raised with modern values, to apologize or speak for our ancestors who lived in a very different world?

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Nae
Fun with Chocolate
posted 06-02-2005 07:03:25 PM
Deth, same with me. My Cherokee Great-Grandmother was actually purchased by my white Great-Grandfather from her parents.

Slavery wasn't just a black thing, people need to move on already.

There are enough bad things happening today, we don't need to dwell on the past. Learn from it, yes, but then move on.

Mr. Crabs
Pancake
posted 06-02-2005 07:37:44 PM
quote:
Faelynn LeAndris Model 2000 was programmed to say:

While Mod's reply to this was retarded, this statement doesn't even make sense. There is no reason for racism to exist.

There's a King on a throne with his eyes torn out.
There's a Blind Man looking for a shadow of doubt.
There's a Rich Man sleeping on a golden bed.
There's a Skeleton choking on a crust of bread.
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 06-02-2005 08:43:10 PM
quote:
Mr. Crabs wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
While Mod's reply to this was retarded, this statement doesn't even make sense. There is no reason for racism to exist.

There's no good reason for racism to exist, but racism isn't something that can disappear immediately, and every negative situation related to racism, on either side of the balance, makes it take all the longer to get rid of. Oppressive whiteys are just as damaging to the "end racial discrimination" process as black people crying oppression every five minutes, and demanding apologies for crimes not committed against them from people who didn't commit the crime to begin with.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Alaan
posted 06-02-2005 08:52:18 PM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Mr. Crabs:

You're a white kid in your senior year of high school, have your application sent to the college you really have your heart on. You get a "Sorry, you didn't make it letter" back from them. A few days later you hear one of the black/African-American/current-PC-term students at your school got an accpetance letter from them. And you also know you have better grades than him/her, or maybe better extra curriculars. But s/he got in because s/he got a few bonus points for being a minority. How do you feel?

Alaan fucked around with this message on 06-02-2005 at 08:55 PM.

Snoota
Now I am become Death, shatterer of worlds
posted 06-02-2005 09:06:46 PM
quote:
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:
Do we hold a deep wound in our hearts for the Canadians' burning of Washington DC in (I believe) the War of 1812?

It was the British that did it, they were just based in Canada at the time(had just arrived from Britain like a month prior) and Canadians just like to take credit for it even though there were no members of the Canadian army present at the burning of the White House.

Faelynn LeAndris
posted 06-02-2005 09:17:21 PM
quote:
Mr. Crabs had this to say about Robocop:

It made perfect sense.

Racism still exists because crap like this still happens all the time. Something can't die, be forgotten, repair itself, or otherwise disappear, as long as reminders of it keep being thrown back in everyones faces.

You can't change the fact racism exists or has existed, but crap like this keeps it from getting any better. We dont live on world perfect, where just saying "There is no reason for Racism to exist" just automatically makes it true.

My LAUNCHCast Station
Mr. Crabs
Pancake
posted 06-02-2005 11:21:23 PM
quote:
Alaan wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
You're a white kid in your senior year of high school, have your application sent to the college you really have your heart on. You get a "Sorry, you didn't make it letter" back from them. A few days later you hear one of the black/African-American/current-PC-term students at your school got an accpetance letter from them. And you also know you have better grades than him/her, or maybe better extra curriculars. But s/he got in because s/he got a few bonus points for being a minority. How do you feel?

wtf? I'm not gonna hate black people for one thing. Take your frustration out on the school, not the African-American population.

Racism is a real thing and it isn't going to go away overnight. All I'm saying here is that you shouldn't say something to the effect of "No wonder people are racist," which is what I interpreted Fae's comment as. To do so justifies their racism.

Jackman
Racist Hermaphroditic Midget
posted 06-02-2005 11:32:44 PM
Affirmative action is wrong and no longer needed. In fact causes more problems today than it ever solved. (IMHO)

Any time you have to have a Law say because you are (insert whatever) then society owes you a (insert job/benifit/protection) at the expense of a person similarly qualified or of greater merit, you are creating friction and perpetuating stereotypes and possibly creating new ones.

Peter: I'm not afraid of anything, I laugh in the face of Death. See HAHAHAHA.
Death: Oh great! Thanks a lot. As if it wasnt already hard enough to fit in.

Some people are like Slinkys... Not really good for anything, But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 06-03-2005 12:21:22 AM
There are many reasons for racism to exist.

Black people are lazy, drug-dealing robbers and thieves.

White people are stuck-up, arrogant and like beating up minorities.

Mexicans are stealing all the jobs and increase crime in every area.

Good reasons? No. Reasons? Yes.

So long as people are different, there will be a reason to hate.

Jackman
Racist Hermaphroditic Midget
posted 06-03-2005 12:22:23 AM
I hate rainbows.
Peter: I'm not afraid of anything, I laugh in the face of Death. See HAHAHAHA.
Death: Oh great! Thanks a lot. As if it wasnt already hard enough to fit in.

Some people are like Slinkys... Not really good for anything, But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Maradon!
posted 06-03-2005 12:56:15 AM
quote:
Over the mountain, in between the ups and downs, I ran into Mod who doth quote:

As so many others have pointed out, the people apologizing have never owned slaves, and the people being apologized to have never been slaves. The notion that they have any reason to apologize is absurd on it's face.

Race is an arbitrary social construct, and all race based social programs are in themselves examples of racism.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 06-03-2005 at 12:56 AM.

Faelynn LeAndris
posted 06-03-2005 12:56:33 AM
quote:
Mr. Crabs painfully thought these words up:
wtf? I'm not gonna hate black people for one thing. Take your frustration out on the school, not the African-American population.

One thing can be a dramatic understatement depending on where you grew up. And it's, for the most part, the african-american community who are pushing, whining, and complaining about these issues. You can only blame the school so far. As shown by the stupid uprising over the home protection thing.

In my opinion, Racism persists as strongly as it does because of the black community, not Whites. While extremist groups persist in the white community, for the most part, acceptance is pretty open with little hostility.

Affirmative Action, and other such results however put Racism in reverse of what it was before. Where instead of Blacks being underpriviledged, it is whites who now are at a loss (Not so strongly but still). Hell, you can't even start a School Scholarship along the lines of "Caucasion United Scholarship Fund" without being labled a racist. Where as on the other side of the fence you have several Black and Hispanic only scholarships, additional benefits granted on colledge entrance credits for being a 'minority', and quota's working in your favor.

The law about protecting your home is another perfect example of this senario where I personally side with Maradon in saying, they are pretty much stereotyping themselves.

quote:
Racism is a real thing and it isn't going to go away overnight. All I'm saying here is that you shouldn't say something to the effect of "No wonder people are racist," which is what I interpreted Fae's comment as. To do so justifies their racism.

I specifically said "No wonder racism still exists" not that racism is okay, just that its existance will go on because of things like this. They specifically fuel a racist motivation. One more reason to be racist in thier mind, to be more accurate.

My LAUNCHCast Station
Maradon!
posted 06-03-2005 01:02:40 AM
quote:
x--Faelynn LeAndrisO-('-'Q) :
it is whites who now are at a loss (Not so strongly but still)

I'd just like to point out that there is no such thing as "degrees of racism", a thing is either racially segregational or it isn't.

Faelynn LeAndris
posted 06-03-2005 01:07:07 AM
quote:
Maradon! stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:
I'd just like to point out that there is no such thing as "degrees of racism", a thing is either racially segregational or it isn't.

Okay fine. I put that in because someone would inevitably come back with "Its not as hard for whites today as it was for blacks in the 60's"

I agree with you, it's segregated with whites on the losing end since as I said you can't start a "White Only" coledge fund without a lot of shit, but you know someone was gonna say it.

My LAUNCHCast Station
Maradon!
posted 06-03-2005 01:07:33 AM
Incidentally, I think it's worth mentioning that I work for Wachovia.

Most of my coworkers are black, my coach is black, my manager is black, the project leader is black, and three of the seven top executives are black.

So what you have here is a company comprised largely of black people apologizing... to themselves...

Maradon!
posted 06-03-2005 01:13:38 AM
Oh, and in case the article didn't mention it (I didn't read it), Wachovia is only apologizing because they have branches in a city (chicago IIRC) that is getting ready to pass one of those asinine ordinances requiring companies to confess any ties to slavery.
DrPaintThinner
Anti-Semite
posted 06-03-2005 08:37:37 AM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Reading Rainbow:
Incidentally, I think it's worth mentioning that I work for Wachovia.

Most of my coworkers are black, my coach is black, my manager is black, the project leader is black, and three of the seven top executives are black.

So what you have here is a company comprised largely of black people apologizing... to themselves...

It would be ridiculous to think that black people never owned other blacks. At the period slave ownership was a status symbol, and if you could afford slaves you would purchase them to make your own life better.

But knowing that would destroy the image of the evil white slave master.

roit, less bash 'is noggin
Mr. Parcelan
posted 06-03-2005 08:46:28 AM
quote:
DrPaintThinner's account was hax0red to write:
It would be ridiculous to think that black people never owned other blacks. At the period slave ownership was a status symbol, and if you could afford slaves you would purchase them to make your own life better.

But knowing that would destroy the image of the evil white slave master.

Not to mention that people neglect to mention where we got the slaves from in the first place.

Or to mention the fact that slavery is still practiced in Africa.

OH WELL

Big Easy
Pancake
posted 06-03-2005 06:18:37 PM
Racism is like a wound. It healed over 150 years ago, but it'll never totally heal over if you keep picking at it. As long as any group demands special treatment, it'll keep coming up again.

It's a victim complex: "My life sucks. It can't be my fault. It must be the (other race/group) people!" This'll go away if people simply take responsibility for their own lives.

Thus, IMO, racism is one of the few things that will go away if we ignore it.

"A little rebellion now and then is a good thing." -- Thomas Jefferson
"Unbelievably, a goldfish can kill a gorilla. However, it does require a substantial element of surprise." -- George Carlin
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin
"I finally figured out what e-mail is for. It's for communicating with people you'd rather not talk to." -- Also George Carlin
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity." -- "The Second Coming" by Wm. Butler Yeats
Mod
Pancake
posted 06-03-2005 06:23:01 PM
quote:
Big Easy was listening to Cher while typing:
Racism is like a wound. It healed over 150 years ago, but it'll never totally heal over if you keep picking at it. As long as any group demands special treatment, it'll keep coming up again.

It's a victim complex: "My life sucks. It can't be my fault. It must be the (other race/group) people!" This'll go away if people simply take responsibility for their own lives.

That theory doesn't hold water, in Europe we don't have any benefits for people of color to speak of, there is no major push to introduce them, slavery is not even an issue and many people, especially in rural areas, are still extremely racist.

Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Mr. Crabs
Pancake
posted 06-03-2005 06:40:23 PM
quote:
Big Easy enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:

No way no day. Ignoring a problem does nothing to solve it. Ignoring racism is equivalent to saying that being racist is socially acceptable.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 06-03-2005 06:42:56 PM
quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Mr. Crabs was all like:
No way no day. Ignoring a problem does nothing to solve it. Ignoring racism is equivalent to saying that being racist is socially acceptable.

It is.

Someone's opinion that whites are inferior or blacks are inferior is fine so long as it's not acted upon. When a law is passed protecting thugs because of their color or a white person is lynched, then it becomes a wrong thing.

Don't fool yourself into thinking that you can keep people from hating.

Mr. Crabs
Pancake
posted 06-03-2005 06:53:14 PM
quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Mr. Parcelan was all like:
It is.

Someone's opinion that whites are inferior or blacks are inferior is fine so long as it's not acted upon. When a law is passed protecting thugs because of their color or a white person is lynched, then it becomes a wrong thing.

I'm having a hard time articulating my thoughts on this issue and I apologize for that.

That's not what I'm advocating here. It's a person's right to believe whatever the hell they want to believe no matter how wrong I think it is. I'm just saying that racism isn't a problem that should be ignored. If someone is spouting bigotry, they should be called on it, not ignored.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 06-03-2005 06:55:58 PM
quote:
We were all impressed when Mr. Crabs wrote:
I'm having a hard time articulating my thoughts on this issue and I apologize for that.

That's not what I'm advocating here. It's a person's right to believe whatever the hell they want to believe no matter how wrong I think it is. I'm just saying that racism isn't a problem that should be ignored. If someone is spouting bigotry, they should be called on it, not ignored.

As long as it goes both ways, that's great.

Man won't hire a black dude because of his race? Of course he should be called on it.

People who have never owned slaves apologizing for slavery? Forget it. When that happens, people are essentially being punished for being white.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 06-03-2005 06:56:08 PM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan put down Tada! magazine long enough to type:
It is.

Well, being a racist is only socially acceptable around other racists. Like it is with any situation involving people of opposing opinions, people who aren't racist will usually do their damndest to socially stigmatize and distance themselves from a racist in their midst. A racist doesn't have to change his opinions, or keep them to himself, for that matter, as long as he doesn't mind being an outcast when not amongst like-minded people.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Mr. Crabs
Pancake
posted 06-03-2005 06:58:27 PM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan spewed forth this undeniable truth:
As long as it goes both ways, that's great.

Man won't hire a black dude because of his race? Of course he should be called on it.

People who have never owned slaves apologizing for slavery? Forget it. When that happens, people are essentially being punished for being white.

I completely agree. This whole situation where companies have to apologize because they were involved in the slave trade over a hundred years ago is stupid.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 06-03-2005 07:00:07 PM
quote:
We were all impressed when Karnaj wrote:
Well, being a racist is only socially acceptable around other racists. Like it is with any situation involving people of opposing opinions, people who aren't racist will usually do their damndest to socially stigmatize and distance themselves from a racist in their midst. A racist doesn't have to change his opinions, or keep them to himself, for that matter, as long as he doesn't mind being an outcast when not amongst like-minded people.

Well, that goes to "socially acceptable" being defined as within a society.

Within a society of racists, you won't hide your beliefs. Within a societ of non-racists, you can still believe what you want, you'd just be stupid to say "Can I have an orange soda, grandmas?" at a Black Panther rally.

Big Easy
Pancake
posted 06-03-2005 08:58:54 PM
quote:
A sleep deprived Mr. Crabs stammered:

Maybe I'm not expressing myself properly. What I mean is that as long as there is no "them vs. us" stuff, there is no racism. If we don't make an issue of minor differences (skin color, etc.), there won't be any problems.

Of course, that assumes that the majority of people can get their heads out of their collective asses and realise what a waste of time and energy all of this is. Call me an idealist.

In the meantime, when it comes to little groups like this, paying attention to them just encourages them. Just tell them they're a marginal group and crazy, then move on.

"A little rebellion now and then is a good thing." -- Thomas Jefferson
"Unbelievably, a goldfish can kill a gorilla. However, it does require a substantial element of surprise." -- George Carlin
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin
"I finally figured out what e-mail is for. It's for communicating with people you'd rather not talk to." -- Also George Carlin
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity." -- "The Second Coming" by Wm. Butler Yeats
Maradon!
posted 06-03-2005 10:35:36 PM
Racism CAN'T be made to "go away" any more than you can make scientology or the flat-earth theory "go away".

What we can do is point out ignorance, bigotry, and idiocy. Segregational politics is all of these.

Skaw
posted 06-03-2005 11:14:11 PM
"Sorry we brought your ancestors over from disease ridden tribal villages, giving you and your family a better lifestyle."

Not to sound racist, since I'm rather not. But really, can't people look on the bright side of things?

DrPaintThinner
Anti-Semite
posted 06-04-2005 01:22:17 AM
quote:
Skaw was listening to Cher while typing:
"Sorry we brought your ancestors over from disease ridden tribal villages, giving you and your family a better lifestyle."

Not to sound racist, since I'm rather not. But really, can't people look on the bright side of things?

You didn't finish your thought it looks like. I think it should read "Sorry your ancestors were captured by their tribesmen who sold them to slave traders who brought them to another continent on a boat so filled with disease many of the passengers died and were thrown overboard. And don't forget people of the time were nice enough to put your ancestors on a plantation where another person owned them, other slaves, and any children they had, where they were forced into back breaking labor for the rest of their lives that they were never compensated for. Well except the rags for clothing and scraps for food. And you can’t forget about those raping, those were given out as often as the beatings. Because honestly what’s better than living at home with your family being free to socialize with your kinsmen? Slavery."

I hope you were joking. There was no bright side of slavery, unless you were the slave owner.

roit, less bash 'is noggin
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: