EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: The right to protect yourself is.. Racist?
Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 05-31-2005 07:28:02 PM
Umm, yeah. I really don't know where to start on this one. I would like to think this is just a bunch of idiots doing a sing-along. But I know this won't be the end of it.

Please don't shoot me.

quote:
Crowd protests deadly force law

Critics: Bill can be easily misinterpreted

May 31, 2005

Nicole Lozare@PensacolaNewsJournal.com

Throughout Pensacola, barbecue grills were heating up on Monday afternoon -- a Memorial Day tradition.

But underneath the canopy of downtown trees, and near the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. bust on the Palafox Street median, about 100 people softly sang hymns about a time when black people were oppressed.

And that, the impromptu singers believe, continues today.

Instead of slavery, the chains now come in the form of laws that are a threat to the black community, said a number of speakers at the two-hour rally Monday.

The issue: Florida Senate Bill 436, signed last month by Gov. Jeb Bush. It guarantees that people aren't prosecuted for using deadly force against intruders on their property.

The bill, filed by Sen. Durell Peaden, R-Crestview, was inspired by James Workman, a local man who killed an intruder in his southwest Escambia County home in the early hours of Nov. 3. No charges were filed against Workman.

But critics say that the bill just gives people a license to kill that can easily be abused or misinterpreted.

"What about all those people who perpetuate hate and who will use this as an act of aggression?" said the Rev. Hugh King, president of the Pensacola chapter of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference, the organization that conducted the event.

"We live in some scary times right now," said Susan Watson, president of the local chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union. Watson, who is white, rhetorically asked the crowd if they believe that the law would be applied equally to her and to a black man.

Many in the crowd shook their heads; others yelled out, "No!"

"It got passed because we didn't do anything about it. It's our fault," she said. "We have to do something about it."

Chicago Alderman Dorothy Tillman, formerly of Pensacola, said the law will "lead to open war on black males."

"It's almost a way to eliminate people. Black men will be under the ground more than ever."

Tillman, a former staffer for King, was not on the list of speakers but was invited to the stage. She later led the crowd in singing the hymns.

Annie Winn, 62, brought her 5- and 11-year-old great-grandchildren to listen to the speakers.

"A lot of people are going to be killed," she said. "We need to protest and try to change this law -- it's just crazy."

At the end of the rally, Charles Steele, the national leader of the SCLC, charged the crowd to protest the law. Steele then led the crowd in a march down Palafox.

"The people united will never be defeated," they chanted.

"Pacifism is a privilege of the protected"
Kiranê
Total Crap
posted 05-31-2005 07:31:14 PM
Haha.

So only black males break into houses?

Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 05-31-2005 07:36:51 PM
Yeah that is kinda what I was thinking.
If you break into my house I don't care what color you are or your standing in society, you are going to get aerated. *shrugs* I dont' see it as a racist thing. I see it as a survival issue.
Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 05-31-2005 07:58:41 PM
He need ta come down. He really need ta come down.
Mod
Pancake
posted 05-31-2005 08:01:37 PM
Discriminated-against minorities will be weary of such laws because they give people who stereotype them as criminals more legal leeway in shooting people whom they feel threatened by, racists tend to feel threatened by black people, thus black people are afraid that they might get shot due to mistakenly wandering onto someone's propertah. It's not as black and white as it seems, if I lived in a place where half my neighbors thought I was up to no good for whatever reason I wouldn't want those people to be armed and given the nod to when in doubt, shoot to kill either.
Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 05-31-2005 08:06:25 PM
That's one of those situations where people were looking for something to bitch about, plain and simple. The right to protect yourself with force up to and including lethal force is one of those universal mainstays of law. That it might be used to in some way lessen the civil rights of one subset of the populace in comparison to another is ludicrous. The issue shouldn't be whether or not a black-on-white home invasion resulting in the invader being killed gets off when a white-on-black invader doesn't. That relies too much on skewed statistics. White folks don't tend to invade the home of black folks as much on average. White folks DO invade other white folks' house, however. Use those statistics and I'd be willing to bet that things even out in terms of whether or not the defender is prosecuted.
Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 05-31-2005 08:11:29 PM
quote:
A sleep deprived Mod stammered:
Discriminated-against minorities will be weary of such laws because they give people who stereotype them as criminals more legal leeway in shooting people whom they feel threatened by, racists tend to feel threatened by black people, thus black people are afraid that they might get shot due to mistakenly wandering onto someone's propertah. It's not as black and white as it seems, if I lived in a place where half my neighbors thought I was up to no good for whatever reason I wouldn't want those people to be armed and given the nod to when in doubt, shoot to kill either.

Yeah but they're saying this will, and I quote, "lead to open war on black males."

Bullshit.

"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 05-31-2005 08:14:22 PM
quote:
Channeling the spirit of Sherlock Holmes, Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael absently fondled Watson and proclaimed:
The right to protect yourself with force up to and including lethal force is one of those universal mainstays of law.

That's pretty much an American thing. It's a sticky issue when working with multinational forces, because not all armies have ROE that permit them lethal self-defense even in combat, whereas that's very basic to US ROE.

And it seems silly to me that killing a [insert race/creed/belief du jour] burgler could be considered racist or a hate crime, whereas the [insert race/creed/belief du jour] robber isn't accused of the same. It's okay to break into the evil oppressor's house, but not for the evil oppressor to defend himself, in some minds.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 05-31-2005 08:19:31 PM
quote:
Bloodsage had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
That's pretty much an American thing. It's a sticky issue when working with multinational forces, because not all armies have ROE that permit them lethal self-defense even in combat, whereas that's very basic to US ROE.

I stand corrected. And you get bonus points for a pertinent military example.

I have to say, you must have some serious restraint to get fired at and not fire back. Maybe it's how you're brought up. I can't imagine someone taking a shot at me and not firing back. The whole difference between a Pop and a Snap thing I get, but once you KNOW they're firing on you, you might not be allowed to fire back? Seems pretty nasty to me.

Gadani
U
posted 05-31-2005 08:20:22 PM
stupid grandmas
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 05-31-2005 08:23:14 PM
quote:
How.... Sakkra.... uughhhhhh:
He need ta come down. He really need ta come down.

Oh and this made me laugh entirely too much.

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 05-31-2005 09:23:22 PM
So if I lived in Florida I can kill someone who comes onto my property for whatever reason and get away with it so long as it can't be proven he wasn't a threat to me?
I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Faelynn LeAndris
Lusty busty redheaded wood elf with sharp claws
posted 05-31-2005 09:25:46 PM
quote:
Mod was naked while typing this:

My LAUNCHCast Station
"Respect the Forest, Fear the Ranger"
I got lost for an hour and became god.
Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 05-31-2005 09:28:59 PM
quote:
JooJooFlop had this to say about dark elf butts:
So if I lived in Florida I can kill someone who comes onto my property for whatever reason and get away with it so long as it can't be proven he wasn't a threat to me?

Actually in most states you are allowed to defend your home with deadly force. The way the Florida law was written before made it so that you had to leave your home if you could instead of defending yourself or your family.

For instance, in Indiana if I am woken up in the middle of the night by a sound and find a man skulking through my home I can kill him if I feel he is a threat. And to be blunt a person in my home IS a threat.
Now before this law was written in florida I would have had to leave my home if at all possible and could not defend myself or property. If I did I could be tried and convicted of manslaughter.

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 05-31-2005 09:39:25 PM
If I left my window open and had something really valuable facing it in an attempt to lure a burglar into my home just so I could shoot him, think I can get away with it? I can just say it was self defense and, after all, I am ridding the world of a criminal.
I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 05-31-2005 09:48:23 PM
You are not allowed to lay a trap for criminals of any type.
Anyway, you are making the assumption that criminals go from house to house and look for things. This is almost never the case.
JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 05-31-2005 09:57:21 PM
quote:
Azizza Model 2000 was programmed to say:
You are not allowed to lay a trap for criminals of any type.
Anyway, you are making the assumption that criminals go from house to house and look for things. This is almost never the case.

Well, that's the thing. How would the police know it was a trap and not just an accidental leaving-open of a window? And it probably isn't a burglar looking for his next hit that falls for the trap, rather some dumbass kid walking by and thinking "I bet I could get in there, grab that thing and get out without no one ever knowing." A short while later he's got a bullet in him and I'm telling the officer that "he just came at me. I could have sworn I saw a knife."

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 05-31-2005 10:04:42 PM
quote:
Quoth JooJooFlop:
Well, that's the thing. How would the police know it was a trap and not just an accidental leaving-open of a window? And it probably isn't a burglar looking for his next hit that falls for the trap, rather some dumbass kid walking by and thinking "I bet I could get in there, grab that thing and get out without no one ever knowing." A short while later he's got a bullet in him and I'm telling the officer that "he just came at me. I could have sworn I saw a knife."

That's called natural selection, in my book. I don't pity thieves in the least. "Oh, that poor kid was just trying to steal some jewelery, and he was shot by that mean ol' property (read: slave) owner," is bullshit.

Edit: also, the definition of "trap" is something indiscriminate. Your example doesn't qualify.

Bloodsage fucked around with this message on 05-31-2005 at 10:05 PM.

Sean
posted 05-31-2005 10:06:04 PM
I think we should move to Columbia.
A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Peter
Pancake
posted 05-31-2005 10:20:30 PM
quote:
Bloodsage probably says this to all the girls:
...because not all armies have ROE that permit them lethal self-defense even in combat....

..WTF? What armies are those?

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 05-31-2005 10:38:20 PM
quote:
Channeling the spirit of Sherlock Holmes, Peter absently fondled Watson and proclaimed:

The British, Australian, and Canadian armies for sure, and I'm pretty sure it's true for the French, Germans, and the rest of western Europe.

US troops always have the right of self-defense. I'd have to ask a JAG whether it's even allowed to take it away. That's not always true of other countries.

Mr. Crabs
Pancake
posted 05-31-2005 10:38:47 PM
quote:
Peter had this to say about Punky Brewster:

The Swiss Army. I mean, they have wine openers on their knives for God's sake.

There's a King on a throne with his eyes torn out.
There's a Blind Man looking for a shadow of doubt.
There's a Rich Man sleeping on a golden bed.
There's a Skeleton choking on a crust of bread.
JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 05-31-2005 10:41:44 PM
quote:
Mr. Crabs had this to say about Jimmy Carter:

Wait, you mean those corkscrews on the knives arn't for pulling out the eyeballs of their enemies?

Man, the Swiss Army just lost a lot of appeal in my mind.

Maradon!
posted 05-31-2005 10:57:54 PM
Ironically, in arguing that such a law falls disproportionately on blacks, they STEREOTYPE THEMSELVES!

Way to reverse six decades of civil rights, MORONS

Snoota
Now I am become Death, shatterer of worlds
posted 05-31-2005 11:11:59 PM
quote:
Mr. Crabs had this to say about Pirotess:

I dunno, the Swiss Guard are pretty badass.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 05-31-2005 11:13:45 PM
quote:
Verily, the chocolate bunny rabits doth run and play while Snoota gently hums:
I dunno, the Swiss Guard are pretty badass.

Sure, if you hang around long enough for them to get into pike range.

Snoota
posted 05-31-2005 11:17:53 PM
quote:
Bloodsage probably says this to all the girls:
Sure, if you hang around long enough for them to get into pike range.

Surely the military man of the bunch isn't going to be fooled by appearances.

Snoota
posted 05-31-2005 11:19:25 PM
Besides, they managed to scare Hitler away from Vatican City when he took Rome.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 05-31-2005 11:23:58 PM
It was funny; it doesn't have to be accurate. Everything I know about the Swiss Guard, I learned from watching Euro Trip.

Snoota
posted 05-31-2005 11:28:46 PM
I put off watching that movie for the longest time because it just looked retarded to me, from the trailers. Then I finally saw it and it was easily the second funniest movie I've seen in the last five years.

"I'm not feeling anything."
"Me either."
"Sober as a judge."
turns to the little green fairy he sees floating over his shoulder
"What about you?"
"I'm not feeling a God damn thing. This Absinthe is bullshit."

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 05-31-2005 11:32:07 PM
Aside from the bondage house in Amsterdam, my favorite scene is when they flag down the truck driver to hitch a ride to Berlin.

"Are you headed to Berlin?"
/German
"I'm not going anywhere near Berlin! They have a warrant for my arrest in Berlin. I raped a horse last time I was in Berlin."
/German
"I think he's going to Berlin, let's go!"

Fizodeth
an unflattering title
posted 05-31-2005 11:32:57 PM
quote:
Bloodsage's account was hax0red to write:
Aside from the bondage house in Amsterdam, my favorite scene is when they flag down the truck driver to hitch a ride to Berlin.

"Are you headed to Berlin?"
/German
"I'm not going anywhere near Berlin! They have a warrant for my arrest in Berlin. I raped a horse last time I was in Berlin."
/German
"I think he's going to Berlin, let's go!"

Shit that scene is like 10 times funny when you translate it.

Snoota
posted 05-31-2005 11:37:25 PM
"So I tell the swamp donkey to sock it before I give her a trunky in the tradesman's entrance and have her lick me yardballs!"
"Wow. You guys are on a completely different level of swearing here."
Skaw
posted 06-01-2005 12:48:14 AM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Tron:
Ironically, in arguing that such a law falls disproportionately on blacks, they STEREOTYPE THEMSELVES!

Way to reverse six decades of civil rights, MORONS

I thought the same thing, Maradon.

They basically just said that all domestic intruders are blacks themselves.

Maradon!
posted 06-01-2005 02:22:28 AM
quote:
x--SkawO-('-'Q) :
I thought the same thing, Maradon.

They basically just said that all domestic intruders are blacks themselves.

I guess I should have known better, though - you can only be racist if you're white!

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 06-01-2005 06:56:44 AM
The only time I can see this being an issue is where a person's "property" is a huge estate, particularly one comprised mainly of swamp or other low-value land, with no discernable border markings. Home invasion merits the use of retaliatory force. Property invasion is a trickier issue. Neither case really stands out as prejudicial against minorities, because when you're wandering through the back woods in the dark, skin color tends not to stand out so much.

I once heard about a burglar who was breaking into a woman's house when her roof collapsed underneath him. He sued the homeowners and won. That's the sort of thing that needs to never happen.

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Jackman
Racist Hermaphroditic Midget
posted 06-01-2005 08:20:06 AM
So, whats a good home defense weapon anyway?
Peter: I'm not afraid of anything, I laugh in the face of Death. See HAHAHAHA.
Death: Oh great! Thanks a lot. As if it wasnt already hard enough to fit in.

Some people are like Slinkys... Not really good for anything, But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Ruvyen
Cartoon Broccoli Boy
posted 06-01-2005 09:23:19 AM
quote:
Jackman had this to say about Pirotess:
So, whats a good home defense weapon anyway?

Any weapon will do.

Thief: "I have come to a realisation. Dragons are not real in a general sense, but they may exist in certain specific cases."
Fighter: "Like how quantum mechanics describes how subatomic particles can spontaneously pop into existence at random!"
Thief: "No, that's stupid and stop making up words."
--8-Bit Theater
Jackman
Racist Hermaphroditic Midget
posted 06-01-2005 09:24:24 AM
I was hopeing for an suggestion.
Peter: I'm not afraid of anything, I laugh in the face of Death. See HAHAHAHA.
Death: Oh great! Thanks a lot. As if it wasnt already hard enough to fit in.

Some people are like Slinkys... Not really good for anything, But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 06-01-2005 09:39:39 AM
quote:
Jackman needs to hitch a ride with a Vogon constructor fleet.
I was hopeing for an suggestion.
Get an uzi.
Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: