EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Why I like working for the GeekSquad
CBTao
Pancake
posted 04-22-2005 10:39:09 PM
This is pretty cool for a image exploiting corperate gig.
Sean
posted 04-22-2005 11:03:47 PM
I've been thinking of applying for an open position at the Best Buy down the road, but I've heard far too many SA horror stories.

Maybe once my current job finally realizes they're paying me to do nothing, and get around to firing me, I'll send over an application.

A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

CBTao
Pancake
posted 04-23-2005 03:26:12 AM
quote:
From the book of Sean, chapter 3, verse 16:
I've been thinking of applying for an open position at the Best Buy down the road, but I've heard far too many SA horror stories.

Maybe once my current job finally realizes they're paying me to do nothing, and get around to firing me, I'll send over an application.

what SA horror stories, I think maybe because I moved to GS from a dsl call center I would in no way ever complain. Personally I love my job.

Aury
My hair is a deadly weapon
posted 04-23-2005 04:21:03 AM
CBTao
Pancake
posted 04-23-2005 11:02:31 PM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Aury wrote:
http://www.bestbuysux.org

Rant on.

After reading through this site, I have determined a few key things.

The complaints are by:

1) retarded customers, this will happen everywhere, dsl customers were convinced we piped in spyware directly through the dsl modem, and it was never their own fucking fault.

2) Employees saying the company shafted them are either untrue (remember I work here, I know how the shit is run), or, are the employee's fault who is trying to blame it on best buy (anyone who manages teenagers will recognize this quickly) "I've worked at best buy for blah blah years, and this person came in and got the position after working for 6 months". News flash asshole, its because you have no ambition, I worked at Geeksquad for 8 months before I was up for the leadership of my store's squad, because unlike the 4-6 year vets there, I have a fire under my ass. I didn't get the senior spot, but as a consolation, the store management broke company dogma and created an additional fulltime spot for me so I could get benefits and hours.

Rant off.

CBTao
Pancake
posted 04-23-2005 11:05:09 PM
Oh, we're also going to Charlette on the 18th to see Ep III after an Intel bribe to sell their products (they tell us intel is better than amd, give no real proof of that, and then give us free stuff in the hopes it will convince us they're right, I love this system)
Toktuk
Pooh Ogre
Keeper of the Shoulders of Peachis Perching
posted 04-24-2005 12:01:51 AM
quote:
CBTao was listening to Cher while typing:
Oh, we're also going to Charlette on the 18th to see Ep III after an Intel bribe to sell their products (they tell us intel is better than amd, give no real proof of that, and then give us free stuff in the hopes it will convince us they're right, I love this system)

Uh...welcome to IT?

-Tok

Pesco
Is a copyright of Peachis. Don't underestimate his pants, either.
posted 04-24-2005 12:17:20 AM
quote:
We were all impressed when Toktuk wrote:
Uh...welcome to IT?

-Tok

Free swag 4 the win!

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 04-24-2005 05:48:47 PM
know what kind of swag teachers get?

sample textbooks.

*sigh*

But yeah...in all the years I've gone to Best Buy, I've not once had an experience worth bitching about. The store might've been too small to have what I wanted (like the one in Greenville, NC, that I used to go to), but that's more a matter of size (and the build stores to suit projected sales; G'ville is only like 40000 people at the peak of college season) than them doing something explicitly wrong.

And hell, I practically live at the Best Buy here in Indy. I might as well sign over half my check to them.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Mightion Defensor
posted 04-24-2005 06:01:30 PM
Hmm... if I knew something about Macs I might apply there...

...and if I didn't have to do in-home support, Beetle or no Beetle.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 04-24-2005 06:07:13 PM
quote:
Mightion Defensor had this to say about Reading Rainbow:

Quick! To the Nerdmobile!

"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty

Aury
My hair is a deadly weapon
posted 04-24-2005 06:27:43 PM
quote:
CBTao was listening to Cher while typing:
Rant on.

After reading through this site, I have determined a few key things.

The complaints are by:

1) retarded customers, this will happen everywhere, dsl customers were convinced we piped in spyware directly through the dsl modem, and it was never their own fucking fault.

2) Employees saying the company shafted them are either untrue (remember I work here, I know how the shit is run), or, are the employee's fault who is trying to blame it on best buy (anyone who manages teenagers will recognize this quickly) "I've worked at best buy for blah blah years, and this person came in and got the position after working for 6 months". News flash asshole, its because you have no ambition, I worked at Geeksquad for 8 months before I was up for the leadership of my store's squad, because unlike the 4-6 year vets there, I have a fire under my ass. I didn't get the senior spot, but as a consolation, the store management broke company dogma and created an additional fulltime spot for me so I could get benefits and hours.

Rant off.

True 'dat. We used to sit in the Manager's Bridge back when I worked for Best Buy and make fun of all of them. Until we found one from one of the other stores in the city. We called them an told them to check it out. ^^

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 04-24-2005 06:42:14 PM
The only thing close is if one of the folks on the floor is kinda snappish. But hell, everyone has a bad day. No chronic bad experiences or anything. The guy we spoke to the other night about the router was very helpful. If I'm checking out music, there's always guys there ready to talk about the album I'm looking at. But it's not invasive or anything. Same thing with computer games or video games. I think that's why I prefer going there to ordering stuff from Amazon at times even if Amazon is cheaper.

You can have real-time discussions about stuff. When I was looking into MP3 players, the dude in the MP3/portable media/cel phone department was great. He wasn't trying to push the most expensive unit, either. It was great.

Best Buy's one of the few stores I've written positive feedback for.

Toktuk
Pooh Ogre
posted 04-24-2005 08:06:05 PM
quote:
Mightion Defensor had this to say about John Romero:

It's a Mac, it's not like it's hard to figure them out.

-Tok

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 04-24-2005 08:14:38 PM
quote:
Toktuk thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:
It's a Mac, it's not like it's hard to figure them out.

-Tok

Yup. Macs are very easy to use.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 04-24-2005 09:12:47 PM
1. Return Mac to Store
2. Buy PC
3. ?
4. Profit!

-Yuri-
Pancake
posted 04-24-2005 10:36:17 PM
I applied there yesterday.. That app was crazy long with all the damn personality questions.
CBTao
Pancake
posted 04-24-2005 10:55:33 PM
quote:
Mightion Defensor had this to say about Tron:

We don't support macs, period. We sell a mini mac, and the only thing you will have to do is open the sumbitch up with a sharpened putty knife (per SOP (standard operating proceedure, ie corperate dogma), and install more ram, OH GOD THE AGONY, then take the man's 29 bucks for doing it.

The field tech position (Double Agent) is a highly sought after one, in applying, you would very likely not get that job, and thus, won't have to worry about doing that job.

Jaggedpine Mistwalker
Member #4!
posted 04-24-2005 11:16:55 PM
quote:
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael attempted to be funny by writing:
The only thing close is if one of the folks on the floor is kinda snappish. But hell, everyone has a bad day. No chronic bad experiences or anything. The guy we spoke to the other night about the router was very helpful. If I'm checking out music, there's always guys there ready to talk about the album I'm looking at. But it's not invasive or anything. Same thing with computer games or video games. I think that's why I prefer going there to ordering stuff from Amazon at times even if Amazon is cheaper.

You can have real-time discussions about stuff. When I was looking into MP3 players, the dude in the MP3/portable media/cel phone department was great. He wasn't trying to push the most expensive unit, either. It was great.

Best Buy's one of the few stores I've written positive feedback for.

If you live in Indianapolis you might want to check out the new Fry's that opened up about 2 weeks ago. I should know, I was there! They send a few of each store's top sales associates to all the new stores when they grand open. The sales guys from out there seemed pretty good, if a bit new... but the store is bigger than our 150,000 sq. ft one in Chicago (I believe it measured 182,000 sq. ft), so yeah... http://www.frys.com/fishers.html

[/company plug]

CBTao
Pancake
posted 04-24-2005 11:23:10 PM
quote:
Jaggedpine Mistwalker's fortune cookie read:
If you live in Indianapolis you might want to check out the new Fry's that opened up about 2 weeks ago. I should know, I was there! They send a few of each store's top sales associates to all the new stores when they grand open. The sales guys from out there seemed pretty good, if a bit new... but the store is bigger than our 150,000 sq. ft one in Chicago (I believe it measured 182,000 sq. ft), so yeah... http://www.frys.com/fishers.html

[/company plug]

Savagly beats Jaggedpine to death with the Big Yellow Tag in an act of corperate assassination

Demos
Pancake
posted 04-24-2005 11:33:44 PM
Interestingly enough, Fishers, IN is where my fraternities main office is.
"Jesus saves, Buddha enlightens, Cthulhu thinks you'll make a nice sandwich."
Pesco
Is a copyright of Peachis. Don't underestimate his pants, either.
posted 04-25-2005 12:45:20 AM
Yea, Fry's is pretty slick.
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 04-25-2005 11:12:35 AM
Fishers? Man that's like...road trip distance. It lacks the "I can ride down the street for ten minutes and get my happiness" aspect. But I'm sure Lyinar would like to see a Fry's.

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 04-25-2005 12:33:08 PM
quote:
CBTao needs to learn to type:

Which, ironically, is exactly what AMD used to do back in the K6 days when I worked in computer sales at office depot.

Snugglits
I LIKE TO ABUSE THE ALERT MOD BUTTON AND I ENJOY THE FLAVOR OF SWEET SWEET COCK.
posted 04-25-2005 05:19:30 PM
Best Buy will never hire me, no matter how much I apply.

What is the trick?

-Tok

[b].sig removed by Mr. Parcelan[/b]
CBTao
Pancake
posted 04-25-2005 11:30:17 PM
quote:
Snugglits wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
Best Buy will never hire me, no matter how much I apply.

What is the trick?

-Tok

We have a psychological profile part of our initial application that weeds out the douches. Thats all I'm sayin.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 04-25-2005 11:33:40 PM
quote:
CBTao thought about the meaning of life:
We have a psychological profile part of our initial application that weeds out the douches. Thats all I'm sayin.

That thing is such a pain in the ass to answer. Way too long. Besides, if you answer honestly, they'll probably hate you.

Snugglits
I LIKE TO ABUSE THE ALERT MOD BUTTON AND I ENJOY THE FLAVOR OF SWEET SWEET COCK.
posted 04-26-2005 12:17:01 AM
quote:
CBTao thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:

Oh, did you cheat or something, then? How did you beat it?

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 04-26-2005 12:36:21 AM
quote:
Snugglits had this to say about dark elf butts:

People who answer the way they want them to probably get floor jobs. What they probably want boils down to: "I'm a happy person who doesn't intrude too much into people's personal lives, but I can be pushy and get people to buy our expensive shit even if they don't need it without feeling guilty." (yes, CBtao, I have taken that survey. Three times now, actually. Once was through Blockbuster, though)

CBTao
Pancake
posted 04-26-2005 01:05:39 AM
quote:
Snugglits thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:

I actually answered everything honostly. Might be why I tend to outperform my peers in every job I've held (not that I consider the jobs I held in any way challenging), I think its because fundamentally I take pride in whatever work I do.

Snugglits
posted 04-26-2005 01:35:21 AM
quote:
CBTao wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
I actually answered everything honostly. Might be why I tend to outperform my peers in every job I've held (not that I consider the jobs I held in any way challenging), I think its because fundamentally I take pride in whatever work I do.

I'm pretty sure you just missed my insinuation, but ok.

Snoota
Now I am become Death, shatterer of worlds
posted 04-26-2005 01:40:31 AM
The Best Buy near my house has six check out lanes.

The other day I was there and only one of the motherfuckers was taking cash; the other five were credit card only.

And of course I got stuck in the cash line behind the old lady who argued about the price on everything, while the stupid and utterly pointless and serve no purpose other than to piss Snoota off credit card only lines were flying by.

Really, what is the fucking point of having credit card only lines? Being a Manager, I can see it from the standpoint of having an extra register or two without an actual cash register in it for when it gets busy and you need someone to hop on and ring some stuff up without worrying about the register coming up short on cash and having no one to blame because no one was responsible for it, but... five out of six registers only taking credit cards?

And it's not a rare occurance. I've only been there one time when there was less than four out of six credit card only lines.

CBTao
Pancake
posted 04-26-2005 02:28:59 AM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Snoota wrote:

The other day I was there and only one of the motherfuckers was taking cash; the other five were credit card only.

And of course I got stuck in the cash line behind the old lady who argued about the price on everything, while the stupid and utterly pointless and serve no purpose other than to piss Snoota off credit card only lines were flying by.

Really, what is the fucking point of having credit card only lines? Being a Manager, I can see it from the standpoint of having an extra register or two without an actual cash register in it for when it gets busy and you need someone to hop on and ring some stuff up without worrying about the register coming up short on cash and having no one to blame because no one was responsible for it, but... five out of six registers only taking credit cards?

And it's not a rare occurance. I've only been there one time when there was less than four out of six credit card only lines.

The CS Manager of that store is a fucking idiot then, our lanes are different, 10 lanes, only 1 is ever card only, sometimes two during exceedingly busy days, rest are cash.

Toktuk
Pooh Ogre
posted 04-26-2005 06:09:20 PM
Pfft, you fuckers are lucky. I've never seen our Best Buy with all the lanes open, even during the holidays.

-Tok

Reynar
Oldest Member
Best Lap
posted 04-26-2005 06:34:02 PM
quote:
Snoota had this to say about Cuba:

Same goes for both of the stores near me. Usually 4-5 lanes open out of the 12 (except during the holiday season), and at least 3 are credit card only on any given day.

On Saturdays you'll see a 10+ minute wait time if you're paying with anything but credit card.

I don't mind so much, since I always put it on my credit card. But I can't help snicker at those folks waiting in the 'rat maze' (Best Buy sets them up for the overflow of customers) trying to pay with cash.

Edit: and to stay on topic, pretty cool absentee card

Reynar fucked around with this message on 04-26-2005 at 06:36 PM.

"Give me control of a nation's money, and I care not who makes its laws."
-Mayer Rothschild
Maradon!
posted 04-26-2005 06:50:05 PM
quote:
Over the mountain, in between the ups and downs, I ran into Snoota who doth quote:
Really, what is the fucking point of having credit card only lines?

They move much, much faster than lanes that accept cash.

If you're a busy retail outlet, then your income is more or less limited only by the speed at which you can actually ring people up. Especially if you're a store like Best Buy - the profit margins on tech are abysmal (sometimes 1-2% or less)

Remeber - credit card companies skim a percentage of all the purchases made at a store on that card. Encouraging so many credit card sales is not a thing that is done carelessly.

Five credit card-only lanes might be the result of a retarded manager, yeah, but it might also be the result of a manager who's entirely unhappy with the number of people who put their low-margin merchendise back on the shelf (not where they found it of course, fucking slobs) and walking out of the store because they're sick of waiting in line for some eighty year old woman to count out quarters or (god forbid) write a fucking check.

/sidebar

I actually had a guy tell me he didn't know how to fill out a check. Do you fucking believe that? WHO DOESN'T KNOW HOW TO FILL OUT A CHECK!? AND IF YOU DON'T WHY WOULD YOU TRY TO PAY WITH ONE!!?

Manticore
Not Much Fun Anymore
posted 04-26-2005 07:54:55 PM
quote:
Maradon! enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:
I actually had a guy tell me he didn't know how to fill out a check. Do you fucking believe that? WHO DOESN'T KNOW HOW TO FILL OUT A CHECK!? AND IF YOU DON'T WHY WOULD YOU TRY TO PAY WITH ONE!!?

He was a pervert. He was trying to get a look at your delicate check-writing hands.

"France tried to turtle, but Hitler did a tank rush before they were ready. Just shows how horribly unbalanced real life is. They should release a patch."
Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 04-26-2005 09:40:59 PM
quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Snoota was all like:

And people laugh at me when I always pay with my debit card, claim I don't believe in cash, and that it's obsolete.

While I admit, I probably take it too far, I despise cash, and will not do business with places that do not accept my card. Luckily all of the fast food places around have wisened up, and I can now eat at places other than Jack in the Box.

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Toktuk
Pooh Ogre
posted 04-26-2005 09:44:56 PM
JITB takes Visa / MasterCard, or at least they do around Houston...

-Tok

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 04-26-2005 09:47:24 PM
quote:
Toktuk had this to say about Reading Rainbow:
JITB takes Visa / MasterCard, or at least they do around Houston...

-Tok

Which is why I could almost only eat there until Taco Bell and several others around here began accepting my Visa...
I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: