EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Rabbits
Kait
has made another completely pointless and off-topic post that nobody cares about
posted 04-18-2005 01:55:43 AM
Hey, pardon my stupidity, but I couldn't find anything about this anywhere else, and I'm not knowledgable enough to figure out what to do on my own. Basically, I rescued a baby rabbit from my cats today, gave it a bath (wearing snow gloves) with very dilluded hydro..peroxide...however you say it, then set it up in a glass cage with a lid. The poor thing's ears are just LINED with ticks, and I think I crushed most of them with some tweezers, but I'm afraid if I try to pull them out, their heads will get left inside and get infected. So I don't know what to do, I dabbed the areas with rubbing alcohol but I don't know if that will do anything. I could just let the rabbit go, but then she'll die for SURE...let's just say she didn't escape from my cats unscathed. Anyway, I know this is a weird question, but trust me when I say I'm taking precautions...I never touch the rabbit directly, or risk picking her up for longer than I have to. And I don't lean over the cage and breathe it in, either, in case of hanta virus (which I don't know if rabbits even can carry).

So...any advice on how to take care of this rabbit long enough to nurse her back to health would be much appreciated...and any comments like "kill it" or "bash in its head," while they might amuse you, I will ignore. Just so you know. Thank you.

"A black cat dropped soundlessly from a high wall, like a spoonful of dark treacle and melted under the gate."
-Elizabeth Lemarchand
Kennatsu
hu�mor 1. That which is intended to induce laughter or amusement: a writer skilled at crafting humor.
posted 04-18-2005 01:59:15 AM
Get a needle. Heat it up a bit, then touch the tick with it. The tick will pull its head out at which point you can just grab it.
Kait
has made another completely pointless and off-topic post that nobody cares about
posted 04-18-2005 02:00:48 AM
quote:
Kennatsu thought about the meaning of life:
Get a needle. Heat it up a bit, then touch the tick with it. The tick will pull its head out at which point you can just grab it.

Really? Awesome! Only, I hope the rabbit doesn't freak out and manage to stab herself...ugh, why am I such a loving person? Why couldn't I just set it loose again like a NORMAL person?!

"A black cat dropped soundlessly from a high wall, like a spoonful of dark treacle and melted under the gate."
-Elizabeth Lemarchand
nem-x
posted 04-18-2005 02:01:33 AM
Kill it and bash its head in. In that order.

And I don't think you can really take care of a wild rabbit at home. You might need to call a professional.

Kait
posted 04-18-2005 02:03:28 AM
quote:
nem-x had this to say about Pirotess:
Kill it and bash its head in. In that order.

And I don't think you can really take care of a wild rabbit at home. You might need to call a professional.

I don't know, I sort of have a penchant for nursing wild animals back to health. Doves, gophers, snakes, frogs, even a litter of mice once...but this is my first rabbit.

I can just see the vet's face now... "You want me to give this...wild animal...a check up?!" Haha...ahem.

-Elizabeth Lemarchand
Pvednes
Lynched
posted 04-18-2005 02:15:40 AM
If you crush the ticks while they're still attached to the host, you force the assorted bacteria and toxins into the host's bloodstream. Use some fine tweezers or a tick remover to pull them out straight by the cabitulum. Dispose of the tick in alcohol, and wipe the wound with an antiseptic.

Chemical irritants or heated needles don't make the ticks pull their head out, by the way. They make the ticks produce more toxin-filled fluids. Don't touch the tick with your bare hands, either, a tick is a vector for disease. Treat it as the biological hazard that it is.

My advice would be to be rid of the rabbit, which is almost certain to die anyway, and give your cats some anti-tick medicine.

Ryuujin
posted 04-18-2005 02:25:37 AM
Check and see if your community has a wildlife shelter.
EviIEdwin
Pancake
posted 04-18-2005 02:28:46 AM
Just take it to the vet and tell them what you told us, they're the experts.

If you try to 'care' for it, you may end up just needlessly torturing it (not on purpose) which is just cruel. =(

EviIEdwin fucked around with this message on 04-18-2005 at 02:31 AM.

Winter's Roar (EQEmu) - Edwin [ROGUE]
EQ (retired) - Edwyn Ottis [ROGUE]

The Animal Rescue Site

If the sky were to suddenly open up, there would be no law, there would be no rule. There would only be you and your memories.

Pvednes
Lynched
posted 04-18-2005 02:38:13 AM
5/5 for good intention, mind you.
Matilda Jane
ph33r my MIRVs
posted 04-18-2005 04:08:20 AM
It sounds to me like this rabbit wants to die and you're prolonging its suffering.

Take its hind legs in one hand and the head in the other. When you twist the head backwards, immediately pull downward with the other hand to stretch the neck. It should break rather easily and the rabbit should only be in pain for a few seconds.

The rabbit population is hardly in danger and it'll probably get killed in some other terrible manner eventually.

Unless you plan to keep it. Then see a professional for advice on how to take care of your new baby rabbit.

There was a signature here... it's gone now.
nem-x
posted 04-18-2005 04:38:12 AM
quote:
Matilda Jane spewed forth this undeniable truth:
It sounds to me like this rabbit wants to die and you're prolonging its suffering.

Take its hind legs in one hand and the head in the other. When you twist the head backwards, immediately pull downward with the other hand to stretch the neck. It should break rather easily and the rabbit should only be in pain for a few seconds.

The rabbit population is hardly in danger and it'll probably get killed in some other terrible manner eventually.

Unless you plan to keep it. Then see a professional for advice on how to take care of your new baby rabbit.

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 04-18-2005 04:43:13 AM
quote:
Matilda Jane was listening to Cher while typing:

Ah. The only problem with that is if you have them hanging by their back legs, they scream.

Kait's the kind of person who would probably melt at said scream and be unable to do it.

Fizodeth
an unflattering title
posted 04-18-2005 04:43:42 AM
quote:
How.... Matilda Jane.... uughhhhhh:

Do you mean twist the head like you would swivel your own, or do you mean fold it back over onto the body or a combination of both?

Matilda Jane
ph33r my MIRVs
posted 04-18-2005 04:59:13 AM
quote:
Fizodeth had this to say about Matthew Broderick:
Do you mean twist the head like you would swivel your own, or do you mean fold it back over onto the body or a combination of both?

I suppose I should have used bend. Pull it backwards over the body.

There was a signature here... it's gone now.
Fizodeth
an unflattering title
posted 04-18-2005 05:14:22 AM
quote:
Matilda Jane had this to say about the Spice Girls:
I suppose I should have used bend. Pull it backwards over the body.

Thanks for clearing that up, I'll file that information for future use.

DrPaintThinner
Anti-Semite
posted 04-18-2005 05:22:01 AM
"We can use it for soup!"
roit, less bash 'is noggin
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 04-18-2005 06:51:12 AM
Rabbit soup really is yummy, but you wouldn't get much meat from a baby.
`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 04-18-2005 07:01:55 AM
Coat ticks in vaseline. This cuts off their air supply. Once they suffocate, they're much easier to remove. Apply disinfectant afterwards. This is the advice I was given just in case a tick ever attached itself to me while I was walking through the woods. Also, ticks supposedly carry lyme disease (ask Pved, he seems to have insight on this point).
Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

DrPaintThinner
Anti-Semite
posted 04-18-2005 07:03:09 AM
quote:
`Doc obviously shouldn't have said:
Also, ticks supposedly carry lyme disease (ask Pved, he seems to have insight on this point).

They do. It is a serious problem for house hold pets sometimes.

DrPaintThinner fucked around with this message on 04-18-2005 at 07:05 AM.

roit, less bash 'is noggin
Pvednes
Lynched
posted 04-18-2005 07:04:31 AM
Vaseline counts under the 'chemical irritant' category. Don't do it!
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 04-18-2005 07:52:38 AM
quote:
`Doc had this to say about pies:
Coat ticks in vaseline. This cuts off their air supply. Once they suffocate, they're much easier to remove. Apply disinfectant afterwards. This is the advice I was given just in case a tick ever attached itself to me while I was walking through the woods. Also, ticks supposedly carry lyme disease (ask Pved, he seems to have insight on this point).

As Pvednes has already pointed out, don't do that.

Suffocation will cause the tick to panic, emptying it's stomach into it's victim.

Tarquinn fucked around with this message on 04-18-2005 at 07:53 AM.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 04-18-2005 08:04:02 AM
And yeah, they do carry lyme disease, which almost killed my dog when she got it from a HUGE fucking tick one year.
Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Mod
Pancake
posted 04-18-2005 08:22:29 AM
Ticks here are pretty dangerous as carriers of disease if you don't get regular shots against whatever illness it was they carry.
Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 04-18-2005 08:24:11 AM
quote:
Pvednes needs to hitch a ride with a Vogon constructor fleet.
Vaseline counts under the 'chemical irritant' category. Don't do it!
Good thing I never got bitten by a tick, then.
Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Kaglaaz How'ler
Pancake
posted 04-18-2005 10:27:41 AM
Here's some better info on Lyme Disease. There are some misconceptions out there about ticks and what they will and will not do. I'd suggest reading up on it.
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/lyme/

Kaglaaz How'ler fucked around with this message on 04-18-2005 at 10:27 AM.

http://www.bloodfin.net
Timpofee
Mancake
posted 04-18-2005 10:32:57 AM

Kait.. i think the best thing to do would be to give it to an SPCA or Wildlife Caretaker.
sorry
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 04-18-2005 11:37:32 AM
quote:
How.... Mod.... uughhhhhh:
Ticks here are pretty dangerous as carriers of disease if you don't get regular shots against whatever illness it was they carry.

Hirnhautentzündung (Meningitis).

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Liam
Swims in Erotic Circles
posted 04-18-2005 12:28:16 PM
Get a meat tenderizer and smash its skull in.

It's going to die either way; might as well make it quick.

Peter
Pancake
posted 04-18-2005 04:46:02 PM
quote:
This one time, at Pvednes camp:
.... Don't touch the tick with your bare hands, either, a tick is a vector for disease. Treat it as the biological hazard that it is.....

Usally I just pulll the little suckers out with a knife and my hands, god knows how many deer ticks I pulled out this way.

....Save the tick in a small covered cup of some sort, bring it in to the vet/doc, I am pretty sure they will not mind testing it, most in my area have nor problems.

Pvednes
Lynched
posted 04-19-2005 03:00:39 AM
quote:
Peter thought about the meaning of life:
Usally I just pulll the little suckers out with a knife and my hands, god knows how many deer ticks I pulled out this way.

....Save the tick in a small covered cup of some sort, bring it in to the vet/doc, I am pretty sure they will not mind testing it, most in my area have nor problems.

Well, in future use a pair of tweezers and some alcohol, and you won't have to get it tested.

Kaiote
Shot in the Face
posted 04-19-2005 05:36:05 AM
quote:
This one time, at Matilda Jane camp:

I want you... badly... in the naughty way.

Henry had been killed by a garden gnome.He had fallen off the roof onto that cheerful-looking figure. The gnome was made of concrete. Henry wasn't. - Dean Koontz, Velocity
nem-x
posted 04-19-2005 08:43:11 PM
Kait
posted 04-19-2005 09:02:13 PM
quote:
A sleep deprived nem-x stammered:
vroooom vroooom

Holy fuck, thanks for that

-Elizabeth Lemarchand
nem-x
posted 04-19-2005 10:26:41 PM
quote:
Kait's fortune cookie read:
Holy fuck, thanks for that

np duder

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 04-20-2005 08:35:25 AM
quote:
nem-x really knows where their towel is...
vroooom vroooom

That's a creepy optical illusion. It looks like the rabbit is moving faster than the racecar.

Nae
Fun with Chocolate
posted 04-20-2005 10:59:14 AM
quote:
This one time, at `Doc camp:
That's a creepy optical illusion. It looks like the rabbit is moving faster than the racecar.

Looks to me like he wasn't moving quite fast enough.

Caid '5 Fists' Berrit
I've had a few beers but I'm cool to drive
posted 04-20-2005 11:36:57 AM
That's crazy, he just totally blows up when the car hits him.

Sucks though, rabbits are pretty cool

'But if I had a shotgun you know what I'd do?
I'd point that shit straight at the sky and shoot heavan on down for you'

Bradley Nowell
Vernaltemptress
Withered and Alone
posted 04-20-2005 11:50:47 AM
Back on topic...

To remove a tick, grab hold of the tick with a pair of flat tweezers (or your thumb and index finger) and twist the tick, either clockwise or counterclockwise, to remove it.

Obamanomics: spend, tax, and borrow.
frolicking imp
Pancake
posted 04-20-2005 06:29:12 PM
quote:
Kait said this about your mom:
I can just see the vet's face now... "You want me to give this...wild animal...a check up?!" Haha...ahem.

on the contrary. vets are very much used to doing this sort of thing, people bring wildlife they find and want to save into the vets often often, ive seen it. and ive done it.

*A Nypmh hits you and steals your virginity*
Maradon!
posted 04-20-2005 07:21:51 PM
I said something stupid again LOL

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 04-20-2005 at 07:22 PM.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: