EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: The joys of parenthood with your sleepwalking child
Kaglaaz How'ler
Pancake
posted 04-12-2005 12:27:04 PM
So my wife and I were sitting at our computers playing games and chatting with friends. I hear a bit of noise coming from the kitchen and look to see my eldest daughter heading from near the sink over to one of the kitchen chairs. This normally would strike me as too odd except
1)the kids had been in bed for more than two hours and
2)her pajama pants and undies were around her ankles

I called and asked her what she was doing and she said she was having trouble finding the toilet... wife and I look at each other with a and my wife gets up to investigate further. Sabrina, when asked what she's doing says, "Going to the bathroom."
"No Honey, you're in the kitchen." is the reply.
Sabrina then again insists that she's in the bathroom...
It's then that my wife notices a puddle under the kitchen chair...

We've been laughing about this most of the night and most of today and thought we'd share.

Sabrina sleeps pretty hard and would sleep through a bomb going off next door. She does sometimes sleepwalk, and we can usually get her to bed with no issues whatsoever. There was only one other time she was sleepwalking where she did something odd, and that was removing her pajama bottoms and throwing them in the laundry hamper and then wondered where they were after she went to the bathroom (in the actual bathroom). This kid is gonna be trouble over the coming years...

damned preview text!!!

Kaglaaz How'ler fucked around with this message on 04-12-2005 at 12:28 PM.

http://www.bloodfin.net
Nae
Fun with Chocolate
posted 04-12-2005 02:06:40 PM
I did the same thing when I was about 5 years old. My mother heard noises in the night and found me pissing in the trashcan in the bathroom.

That was just one of many crazy things I did as a sleepwalker.

I hear it's quite normal, but they could have been humoring me.

Kaglaaz How'ler
Pancake
posted 04-12-2005 02:34:41 PM
She woke up this morning and was wondering why she had different pajama pants and undies on. My wife just said she'd had a small accident last night instead of telling her the truth.

I've done worse but while completely awake. I was 3 or 4 years old and the folks had some guests over. I wandered up to mom asking for help refastening my pants. She asked why and I told her "I went potty." They praised me for being a big boy and I went on my merry way...

Seems I'd gone potty in the oven... (Hey! It was big and white and had a lid!!) my folks didn't realize it until they popped a pizza in the oven later that day. That stove went out the back door that very night and a new one got installed the next day.

Sean
posted 04-12-2005 02:35:00 PM
quote:
Yes, Nae deserved to die, and I hope they burn in hell!
I did the same thing when I was about 5 years old. My mother heard noises in the night and found me pissing in the trashcan in the bathroom.

I am told that I, too, was a trashcan pisser when I was young.

But they have no proof of this, I declare Shenanigans.

A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 04-12-2005 02:39:14 PM
Sleepwalking is better then night terrors. My folks claim that I freaked them right out with that one.
Fizodeth
an unflattering title
posted 04-12-2005 03:18:16 PM
I never sleepwalked, I just have weirdass dreams all the time.
Nicole
The hip-hop-happiest bunny in all of marshmallow woods
posted 04-12-2005 03:45:07 PM
I never sleepwalked. I do, however, continue to talk in my sleep. It's really kinda annoying, not to mention embarassing.

Mom's office is right next to my room. With no door. This is both immensely annoying and means I can hear everything in her office and she can hear everything in my room. She also works in the morning. So, one time she was working away, and from my bed came an energetic "HEY, GUESS WHAT?". Turned around, sound asleep.

My brother had the best one, though. He sleeptalks too, but to a lesser degree than me - he gets the inflection right, but not the words, so it comes out sounding like "aufh ebl brah WEEHBF murfy RAH". So, one time, mom and dad were downstairs watching TV, brother abed, when suddenly a loud, terrible, pedophile-in-my-bed "MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMM" echoes from above. They rush up, terrified... and he is soundly, peacefully asleep.

I just spent
my last cent
purchasing this poverty.

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 04-12-2005 03:47:00 PM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Naimah:
Sleepwalking is better then night terrors. My folks claim that I freaked them right out with that one.

AHHHHHH!!! COBRAS!!!

I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
BeauChan
Objects in sigpic may be hammier than they appear
posted 04-12-2005 04:07:08 PM
I tell stories when I sleep

I've told my mom a ton of things - about how i met the lockness, about how I play guitar for royalty... I tell her what I'm dreaming I guess.

Even now that I live away from home, my friends who sleep over laugh at me in the morning

Endured by EC for over 7 years and counting...
Addy
posted 04-12-2005 04:22:39 PM
I'm boring and don't sleepwalk/sleeptalk.

^_^

Sean
posted 04-12-2005 04:23:43 PM
quote:
Ahh man, I shot Addy in the face.
I'm boring and don't sleepwalk/sleeptalk.

^_^

You probably pissed the bed until you were fourteen.

Better random quote.

Sean fucked around with this message on 04-12-2005 at 04:24 PM.

Addy
posted 04-12-2005 04:24:53 PM
quote:
Sean had this to say about Optimus Prime:

quote:
Because Addy is my friend.

Nice random quote generator there sir! You really do care!

Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 04-12-2005 04:25:29 PM
quote:
Sean had this to say about pies:

Better random quote.

Yeah, you beat her by 5 years and going, Sean.

Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Pouncer of the 12th degree!
"Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"
Sean
posted 04-12-2005 04:25:44 PM
quote:
Yes, Addy deserved to die, and I hope they burn in hell!
Nice random quote generator there sir! You really do care!

^

Sean
posted 04-12-2005 04:27:49 PM
quote:
FUCK. MOTHERFUCKING SHIT. DO YOU FUCKING KNOW HOW FUCKING STUPID YOU ARE? SHIT. FUCK. It's not your fault, Katrinity.
Yeah, you beat her by 5 years and going, Sean.

Other end of the spectrum.

I had to have surgery when I was eight to fix my bladder, which refused to hold urine for more than about six hours for whatever reason. It was too small or too much of a bitch. So I had three alarm clocks when I was younger.

Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 04-12-2005 04:29:31 PM
quote:
In the book of "Sean", Verse 12, Line 3, it doesth proclaim:
Other end of the spectrum.

I had to have surgery when I was eight to fix my bladder, which refused to hold urine for more than about six hours for whatever reason. It was too small or too much of a bitch. So I had three alarm clocks when I was younger.

So basically you were an old man already.

Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Sean
posted 04-12-2005 04:31:10 PM
Pretty much.

Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 04-12-2005 04:32:41 PM
quote:
Sean had this to say about (_|_):
Pretty much.

Sean: Old and Wise beyond his years.

Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
DrPaintThinner
Anti-Semite
posted 04-12-2005 04:49:34 PM
quote:
Kaglaaz How'ler spewed forth this undeniable truth:
Seems I'd gone potty in the oven... (Hey! It was big and white and had a lid!!) my folks didn't realize it until they popped a pizza in the oven later that day. That stove went out the back door that very night and a new one got installed the next day.

Hahaha. Great anecdote!

I've never sleep walked. I do however have lengthy intricate conversations with people while I'm asleep and they talk to me. Its almost like a sleep answering machine. For example, one time my mother has asked me to wake up and get ready for school. All is normal. But then I answer her with, "School is canceled the radio convinced me of this earlier." (She told me this whole story later, which I still do not remember) She asked me "Really? Your radio is not even on, how do you know this?" I got angry at her at this point and shouted "THERES NO TIME MAN GET ONTO THE PLANE!" She knew I was obviously asleep and shook me awake. This would be a joke on my mothers part if I wasn't positive this has happened on other occasions. Times I'll asnwer the phone and have five minute conversations that I have no recalection of.

I had asked my mother to wake me up at a certain time once, I awoke three hours later. I was quite angry that she couldn't wake me up. Its not that hard! Apparently when she tried I cursed her out and wouldn't wake up.

Now I explain to anyone that doesn't know (and may find it relavent) these stories. And that I may in fact still be asleep and having a conversation with them and If im rude or angry I don't mean it.

DrPaintThinner fucked around with this message on 04-12-2005 at 04:50 PM.

roit, less bash 'is noggin
Alidane
Urinary Tract Infection
posted 04-12-2005 05:38:29 PM
I've been told I talk in my sleep by various roommates, who have all found it terribly amusing. Apparently I'm funny when I'm asleep, unlike when I'm awake.
Faelynn LeAndris
Lusty busty redheaded wood elf with sharp claws
posted 04-12-2005 06:47:21 PM
quote:
Naimah had this to say about Knight Rider:

Night Terrors will give any parent heartattacks. Ravyn still has night terrors, they are gawd aweful and so painful to watch as parent since you never ever ever wake up a child in the middle of a night terror.

My LAUNCHCast Station
"Respect the Forest, Fear the Ranger"
I got lost for an hour and became god.
Kaglaaz How'ler
Pancake
posted 04-12-2005 06:52:13 PM
quote:
Faelynn LeAndris obviously shouldn't have said:
Night Terrors will give any parent heartattacks. Ravyn still has night terrors, they are gawd aweful and so painful to watch as parent since you never ever ever wake up a child in the middle of a night terror.

Sabrina has only ever had one when she was 2 years old. She screamed for 45 minutes for her mommy while in her arms. Mary was beside herself by the end of that and I had a double cuddle going once Beaner calmed a bit. (tearful wife and frazzled daughter)

Faelynn LeAndris
posted 04-12-2005 06:56:27 PM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Kaglaaz How'ler:
Sabrina has only ever had one when she was 2 years old. She screamed for 45 minutes for her mommy while in her arms. Mary was beside herself by the end of that and I had a double cuddle going once Beaner calmed a bit. (tearful wife and frazzled daughter)

The worst part is having to just... sit there and watch. Since you can't do anything to help or soothe them. Waking a child in a Night Terror has a very high probability of sending them into Shock. Not good. Very heartwrenching.

Ravyn is cursed with them, hers usually go on for an hour or more at the least. Sometimes she'll go days without one, and then others she'll have one every single night, sometimes more than once.

Edit: Cyn has never to this day had a Night Terror.

Faelynn LeAndris fucked around with this message on 04-12-2005 at 06:57 PM.

My LAUNCHCast Station
DrPaintThinner
Anti-Semite
posted 04-12-2005 06:57:24 PM
quote:
Faelynn LeAndris wrote, obviously thinking too hard:

You think night terrors are bad for parents?? They are insanely frightening to experience! More frightening than anything I have ever experienced. It was a completely irrational terror, one that I woke up from screaming. It was like somehting awakened me but didn't. If that makes sense (which it really doesn't now that I read it again). And when reality began to blend with my dream I was unable to move because of sleep paralysis. Very scary, very very scary. (this is what I was told was a night terror. It may be something completely different, but this is pretty much what happened)

Vorago
A completely different kind of Buckethead
posted 04-12-2005 06:57:35 PM
I apparently sleepwalk, but am usually quite boring about it. I get up, drink some water, go to the bathroom and go back to bed. No memory of it and periodically I come across a parent in the process who claim I am very much sleepwalking when I do this, so am inclined to agree.

Then there are the days I wake up to find I have moved the mattress off my fouton, both blankets and all nine pillows not only to a different room but a different floor, rebuilt my bed there and continued sleeping there.

Considering my Mom is a very, VERY light sleeper, she has never heard me do any of this at night. I am apparently stealthy like a ninja when asleep.

To the best of my knowledge I never had night terrors though

Vorago fucked around with this message on 04-12-2005 at 06:58 PM.

Faelynn LeAndris
posted 04-12-2005 07:03:21 PM
quote:
DrPaintThinner had this to say about Punky Brewster:
You think night terrors are bad for parents?? They are insanely frightening to experience! More frightening than anything I have ever experienced. It was a completely irrational terror, one that I woke up from screaming. It was like somehting awakened me but didn't. If that makes sense (which it really doesn't now that I read it again). And when reality began to blend with my dream I was unable to move because of sleep paralysis. Very scary, very very scary. (this is what I was told was a night terror. It may be something completely different, but this is pretty much what happened)

More than likely just a really bad nightmare.

Night Terrors are waking nightmares you cant come out of. To everyone watching the person afflicted is completely awake and aware (They aren't technically, but to anyone watching they appear so), but thier world they are in does not exist, they are living out a nightmare. It is a horrible horrible thing to watch.

Cyn and Ravyn are entirely opposite when it comes to this.

Cyn has never to this day had a night terror, she does not sleepwalk, she doesn't do anything, hell she doesn't even really have nightmares and she watches stuff that makes her mother cringe and loves it. She has also never wet the bed with the exception of maybe a couple times when in the very begining.

Ravyn on ther other hand has night terrors on a daily basis, sleepwalks, sleeptalks, has frequent nightmares, and STILL wets the bed almost nightly.

My LAUNCHCast Station
NullDevice
Internet Tough Guy
posted 04-12-2005 07:11:57 PM
No night terrors, but I have had nightmares. Waking up in a cold sweat when you're not sure what's real and what isn't because your braens are still fogged over mush sucks.

I've been told I talk in my sleep when I have too much on my mind. In HS my sister came into my room and held a conversation with me. According to her I was spouting answers in german and she couldn't understand a word.

I've only slepwalked once that I was aware of. Got up, went into my parent's bathroom (which was on the far end of the house from mine) and decided that their gas heater (built into the wall) was the toilet. I managed to piss it out while my mother, who I had disturbed getting into said bathroom, watched. The next morning she made me clean it up.

Gadani
U
posted 04-12-2005 07:16:24 PM
I've only sleepwalked once.

I got up, walked to the computer, turned it on, and left.

Or so I've been told.

Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 04-12-2005 08:54:21 PM
I don't sleepwalk. I don't talk in my sleep, that I know of. I snore, I am told. And I am a very heavy sleeper.

Two odd things about my sleep.

There's been a few times (3 or 4 times I can remember in the past 10 years) when I've woken up in the middle of the night and realised that I didn't know how to breathe.

Then I sat there, agonizing over the fact that I can't take a deep breath, until instinct kicks in and I start breathing.

The other is that I have dreams about numbers. Not math, per se. Just numbers. I'll dream about huge numbers, then I'll dream about small numbers, and when I start dreaming about small numbers my entire body feels like it's on a knife's edge. Every single nerve in my body.

I'm fucked up, aren't I?

Kinanik
Upset about being titless
posted 04-12-2005 08:56:32 PM
I dreamed I was having a conversation with my roomate, and when I woke up I continued my side of it... he was really confused.
Gully Foyle is my name
And Terra is my nation
Deep space is my dwelling place
The stars my destination
Ozimander
$$$$$$$$$$$
posted 04-12-2005 08:58:38 PM
My friend talks in his sleep...or at least when he's had a few drinks.

I sleep walk a bit but I have come to this conclusion on my own. I have fallen asleep at the keyboard, sometimes during Kat's D&D sessions and then I get up and turn off the computer and go to bed in the next room. So when I wake up I only remember a part of Kat's session and then can't figure out who moved me or how I got to bed.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 04-12-2005 09:07:22 PM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent DrPaintThinner said:

You have no idea what a night terror is. The person having the night terror rarely if ever has any recolection of the entire event. For the most part it sucks for the parents a whole lot more then the child.

Lazzay
omg mack attack :(
posted 04-12-2005 09:24:57 PM
I started sleep walking in a hotel once, and when I woke up I was standing at the door with a hand on the knob. I was a tard and couldn't get it open. ;(
one two three fo let me see that tootsie roll
DrPaintThinner
Anti-Semite
posted 04-12-2005 09:43:31 PM
quote:
Faelynn LeAndris had this to say about Optimus Prime:
More than likely just a really bad nightmare.

Ah I see. Good to know.

My mother has told me of another peculiar thing I do.

If we are on a long road trip and I eventually fall asleep I may wake up breifly to scream "OH MY GOD, WE ARE GOING TO CRASH!" My mother has since become used to this because it has happened three or four times now. Man I hate long car trips.

Kiranê
Total Crap
posted 04-12-2005 10:35:55 PM
I'm a heavy sleeper so my mother used to wake me up before school. I'd talk to her in full conversation telling her I would get up in a couple mins, etc.

She'd come back in and be like 'OMFG WHY AREN'T YOU UP YOU SAID YOU WERE GETTING UP TWICE!?!?!' I'd be half dazed from just waking up thinking of how crazy she sounded. I'm like mom.. you haven't talked to me this morning.

So she recorded it with a home video camera one morning. Pretty werid to see yourself say something and talk but not remember one bit of it.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 04-12-2005 11:47:44 PM
quote:
KiranĂª thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:
I'm a heavy sleeper so my mother used to wake me up before school. I'd talk to her in full conversation telling her I would get up in a couple mins, etc.

She'd come back in and be like 'OMFG WHY AREN'T YOU UP YOU SAID YOU WERE GETTING UP TWICE!?!?!' I'd be half dazed from just waking up thinking of how crazy she sounded. I'm like mom.. you haven't talked to me this morning.

So she recorded it with a home video camera one morning. Pretty werid to see yourself say something and talk but not remember one bit of it.

It was great. My mom was like that too, though she was worse. She could be up and walking around but didn't remember a damn thing till the morning cigarette and Mountain Dew.

That's when I asked her for money and to sign bad report cards. She and I have a good laugh about that nowadays.

Lee Taxx0r
Pancake
posted 04-13-2005 12:15:31 AM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when KiranĂª said:

I've done the same thing before. Haven't seen it recorded though.

Ares
posted 04-13-2005 12:20:27 AM
My BF once told me to "Fuck off and leave me alone" in his sleep. Then he wondered why I was pissed at him the next morning. Turns out he was dreaming about his work and the managers.
Nicole
The hip-hop-happiest bunny in all of marshmallow woods
posted 04-13-2005 01:19:02 AM
quote:
Everybody must get stoned. Khyron must get stoned.
I don't sleepwalk. I don't talk in my sleep, that I know of. I snore, I am told. And I am a very heavy sleeper.

Two odd things about my sleep.

There's been a few times (3 or 4 times I can remember in the past 10 years) when I've woken up in the middle of the night and realised that I didn't know how to breathe.

Then I sat there, agonizing over the fact that I can't take a deep breath, until instinct kicks in and I start breathing.

The other is that I have dreams about numbers. Not math, per se. Just numbers. I'll dream about huge numbers, then I'll dream about small numbers, and when I start dreaming about small numbers my entire body feels like it's on a knife's edge. Every single nerve in my body.

I'm fucked up, aren't I?

Nah, I know what it's like. Sometimes I'm just about to fall asleep, in that nice, really relaxing stage, that just-about-to-lose-consciousness pleasantness, when I realise that I haven't been breathing for the past minute or so. It's really scary. I've sorta charted my progress during this time... the more relaxed I get, the shallower I breathe, until I'm just about to go to sleep and I stop. I assume I sleep in torpor or something. Yeeg.

Another odd thing is, again, just as I'm about to nod off, I'll get this image in my head. Same one every time, very difficult to describe. Not so much an image, as a continuous sense of something... not AROUND me, just THERE. Something at the same time immense and miniscule, like this one thing encompasses everything, and everything is so small. It's not unpleasant, just weird. I'm like, hi, mister deity. 'Night to you too.

I just spent
my last cent
purchasing this poverty.

DrPaintThinner
Anti-Semite
posted 04-13-2005 01:24:22 AM
quote:
Nicole impressed everyone with:
Another odd thing is, again, just as I'm about to nod off, I'll get this image in my head. Same one every time, very difficult to describe. Not so much an image, as a continuous sense of something... not AROUND me, just THERE. Something at the same time immense and miniscule, like this one thing encompasses everything, and everything is so small. It's not unpleasant, just weird. I'm like, hi, mister deity. 'Night to you too.

Hmmm I have a similar thing. Except its darkness. Not just closing your eyes. An overwhelming relaxing darkness. That keeps getting deeper and darker as I drift off to sleep. Then I wake up later. Yours sounded much better though.. Mine sounds horrible. I bet everyone does the same thing as me and I'm not different at all.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: