EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Alpha Centauri mutliplayer game interest check
Mod
Pancake
posted 03-13-2005 10:09:15 AM
This is another attempt to get a game going after nothing came of the last one.

Since getting six people together for a game every week last time was a huge pain in the ass and does not appear sustainable given all the different schedules and timezones we have to work with and the length of an AC game, I'm proposing PBEM as format for this attempt, the upside is that it will allow more people to participate since they can take their turns whenever they have time, the downside is that it will make the game long, we're talking a few months untill the whole thing is over, we will also need 2-3 players per faction to keep a somewhat acceptable rhytm.

If you'd like to participate just post here, maybe add the factions you'd like to play and your approximate skill so we have an overview of possible teams.

The game itself has become dirt-cheap and the expansion is generally considered abandonware so getting yourself outfitted with the software if you don't have it yet shouldn't be an issue.

Mod fucked around with this message on 03-13-2005 at 10:12 AM.

Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Manticore
Not Much Fun Anymore
posted 03-13-2005 10:11:22 AM
I have the game--- so sure.
"France tried to turtle, but Hitler did a tank rush before they were ready. Just shows how horribly unbalanced real life is. They should release a patch."
Lenlalron Flameblaster
posted 03-13-2005 11:42:48 AM
If by months, you mean forever

I'm interested, but I can't promise anything atm.

Grammar is your enemy! - While being able to understand someone's sentences might seem like a good idea for a proper essay, complaining on a forum scarcely leaves time for such trivialities. Write fast! You're angry, grrr! Make that show, and forget about things like capital letters, punctuation, and verbs.
Ryuujin
posted 03-13-2005 01:34:32 PM
I'd play Spartans or University.
Lenlalron Flameblaster
posted 03-13-2005 07:23:12 PM
I'd play morganites, most likely.
Grammar is your enemy! - While being able to understand someone's sentences might seem like a good idea for a proper essay, complaining on a forum scarcely leaves time for such trivialities. Write fast! You're angry, grrr! Make that show, and forget about things like capital letters, punctuation, and verbs.
Xergen Von Scintillation
Pancake
posted 03-13-2005 11:15:24 PM
I seriously need to find a copy of that game, I miss it.
"No I will not polymorph you into a solar..... again."
Average events in Kat's D&D game.
"<Charra> Xergen realizes she has nothing productive to add so makes sure both balls are on the iron beast and flys over to loot the rogue."
Pvednes
Lynched
posted 03-13-2005 11:16:36 PM
I'm in.

University = luv

Ryuujin
posted 03-14-2005 02:19:27 AM
Wow I didn't know Alien Crossfire was free now. I've never played the expansion.

Alien Crossfire

Ryuujin fucked around with this message on 03-14-2005 at 02:21 AM.

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 03-14-2005 03:29:08 AM
Count me in.

Dibs on Drones. Failing that, Cult of the Planet (Or whatever the eco-faction from Alien Crossfire is called).

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Ryuujin
posted 03-14-2005 03:57:44 AM
Apparently you can play regular Alpha Centauri as well from the download?

I'd like to change my preference to Cybernetic Conciousness or Spartans

Pvednes
Lynched
posted 03-14-2005 04:54:52 AM
As for skill, I'd guess I'm around Librarian-Thinker range.
Mod
Pancake
posted 03-14-2005 08:31:45 AM
Ok we're looking good so far, six people, I'd like at least two more so we don't have to involve computers for a full game and so at least Len can have a teammate to back him up in case he can't play for a while, getting more would be fine to accelerate the pace but doesn't seem to realistic at this point, however once the game has started we can still add more people to the teams if interest picks up.

As for rules, I'd suggest not going for the full glitch-a-thon with exploding jihad rovers and energy stockpile queues for a first game. This is a preliminary ruleset, trying to keep it relatively simple to prevent disputes, if anyone has suggestions or complaints just post them and I'll update the rules, the following are taken from Apolyton:

Basic Rules:
No energy stockpiles in build queue.
No self Destructing units.
No multiple airdrops with the same unit in the same turn.
No upgrading a unit from the design workshop screen.
Actions that force the diplomatic AI to make dispositions on it's own. (Bribes, Withdraw Now)
A player must inform the target of any probe action of their probe action and use the cancel pact / declare war option when doing so.

Mod fucked around with this message on 03-14-2005 at 08:33 AM.

Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Tarquinn
posted 03-14-2005 09:06:02 AM
Erm, I won't be able to play before next week => no Internet at home till then. If you find someone else to take my spot, go for it.

Sorry, should've mentioned that in my last post.

Mod
Pancake
posted 03-14-2005 09:08:16 AM
quote:
How.... Tarquinn.... uughhhhhh:
Erm, I won't be able to play before next week => no Internet at home till then. If you find someone else to take my spot, go for it.

Sorry, should've mentioned that in my last post.

Np, if this is going to go on for months anyway we can wait a week.

Tarquinn
posted 03-14-2005 09:59:05 AM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Mod!
Np, if this is going to go on for months anyway we can wait a week.

I like the playing in teams idea. That way there will be less interruptions when someone is in holidays, or has no internet access. But yeah, we'd need a few more people for that.

Anyway, my telephone company should send one of their technicians to setup my DSL stuff this week. Perhaps we can start this weekend.

Mod
Pancake
posted 03-14-2005 01:02:01 PM
Player list so far:

Tarquinn: Drones
Pvednes: University
Ryuujin: Spartans
Lenlalron: Morganites
Manticore: ???
Mod: Peacekeepers

Mod
Pancake
posted 03-15-2005 02:02:58 PM
Bump, need only a few more people to start the game, you people not joining are really missing out.
Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 03-15-2005 02:03:50 PM
If I had the game, I'd play. Played the demo years ago and it was fun. ^.^
Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Pouncer of the 12th degree!
"Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"
Mod
Pancake
posted 03-15-2005 02:16:36 PM
quote:
Katrinity had this to say about Optimus Prime:
If I had the game, I'd play. Played the demo years ago and it was fun. ^.^

The Underdogs link above should work even without the actual game installed.

Mod fucked around with this message on 03-15-2005 at 02:17 PM.

Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 03-15-2005 02:33:29 PM
I'll check later tonight and see if I can get it up and running. Then after a little refresher course on the game, I'll get back to you. ^.^
Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Pouncer of the 12th degree!
"Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"
Mod
Pancake
posted 03-16-2005 09:04:00 AM
I am bumping this thread for impact rovers.
Ryuujin
posted 03-16-2005 09:07:48 AM
Change my team to Cybernetic Conciousness please.
Y.O.T.C
No longer a Towel Girl
posted 03-16-2005 05:16:56 PM
If I can get it working id love to play, i miss alpha centari so much....

downloading now. I'd play.. whatever the treehuggers were, I always used them before.

Mod
Pancake
posted 03-16-2005 05:23:32 PM
quote:
Y.O.T.C wrote this stupid crap:
If I can get it working id love to play, i miss alpha centari so much....

downloading now. I'd play.. whatever the treehuggers were, I always used them before.

Gaians.

Get this patch:

http://www.actiontrip.com/files/patches/sidmeiersaliencrossfire.phtml

If you're asked for a CD after installing this just run unsafedisc over the executable.

Ryuujin: Conciousness
Manticore: Hello Manticore please pick a faction!
Y.O.T.G: Gaians

If Kat ends up playing we can just add her to whomever needs a teammate or replace Manticore with her since he appears gone.

Starting date is whenever Tarq is ready to play, possibly as early as this weekend. I'll set up an ftp to upload turns to and finalize the rules untill then.

We are also still open for more players, more than one person per team would help a lot.

Mod fucked around with this message on 03-16-2005 at 05:29 PM.

Y.O.T.C
No longer a Towel Girl
posted 03-16-2005 05:54:39 PM
quote:

Get this patch:

http://www.actiontrip.com/files/patches/sidmeiersaliencrossfire.phtml

dont suppose you could host that up on zaza's ftp. all the hosting sites appear to be down atm.

Y.O.T.C fucked around with this message on 03-16-2005 at 05:55 PM.

Lenlalron Flameblaster
posted 03-16-2005 06:52:55 PM
I should be availible this weekend.

How does PBEM work, anyway?

Mod
Pancake
posted 03-16-2005 07:01:32 PM
quote:
Lenlalron Flameblaster impressed everyone with:
I should be availible this weekend.

How does PBEM work, anyway?

Each person takes their turn, then uploads it to a server, the next person downloads it, etc.

Y.O.T.C
No longer a Towel Girl
posted 03-17-2005 01:04:45 AM
Ok, im currently having problems getting it to install from the copy i got off the underdogs. the install.exe crashes when I run it. suggestions?
Ryuujin
posted 03-17-2005 07:28:39 AM
Use setup.exe
Y.O.T.C
No longer a Towel Girl
posted 03-17-2005 02:56:39 PM
quote:
Ryuujin obviously shouldn't have said:
Use setup.exe

there is no setup.exe

Mod
Pancake
posted 03-17-2005 04:06:35 PM
http://www.firaxis.com/games/downloads.php

Try getting it from there, it's the Alien Crossfire 2.0 update.

Y.O.T.C
No longer a Towel Girl
posted 03-18-2005 12:11:04 AM
eh, I checked amazon.com and found that SMAC was only like 4 bucks now, so i just bought it. should have it if we dont start till next week.
Tarquinn
posted 03-18-2005 01:51:13 AM
quote:
Y.O.T.C said this about your mom:
eh, I checked amazon.com and found that SMAC was only like 4 bucks now, so i just bought it. should have it if we dont start till next week.

Okay, sounds like a plan! (The Deutsche Telekom is company of lame-asses.)

Ryuujin
posted 03-18-2005 06:18:46 AM
I'm looking for a CD copy of Alien Crossfire, but like nobody has it.
Mod
Pancake
posted 03-18-2005 10:16:27 AM
Ok let's do a little test run to see if this works, I've started a game for three players (Uni, Conc, Pck), someone grab the save below and take a turn, then when the next player comes up click 'save and exit', then upload the save you get to the ftp and post the link here.

ftp://ftp.wintersroar.com/web/university.sav

Mod fucked around with this message on 03-18-2005 at 10:17 AM.

Ryuujin
posted 03-18-2005 01:15:22 PM
I thought we played each other online?
Mod
Pancake
posted 03-18-2005 01:17:42 PM
quote:
Ryuujin was listening to Cher while typing:
I thought we played each other online?

No, that's what we tried last time, getting six people for an on-line game failed, this time we'll just do it like this, this is also why it will take a long while.

Ryuujin
posted 03-18-2005 01:37:12 PM
Mmmf..
Mod
Pancake
posted 03-19-2005 11:34:51 AM
Hey guys wake up.
Manticore
Not Much Fun Anymore
posted 03-19-2005 03:17:10 PM
quote:
Mod was listening to Cher while typing:
Player list so far:

Ryuujin: Spartans
Manticore: ???

I dont know where I want to be, put me anywhere... I'm pretty noob at it.

"France tried to turtle, but Hitler did a tank rush before they were ready. Just shows how horribly unbalanced real life is. They should release a patch."
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: