EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Adult Swim
Mr. Parcelan
posted 02-07-2005 03:27:37 AM
Has taken a pretty vile downward turn lately.

Does anyone know if Venture Bros. will be creating more episodes? Because frankly, everything else is complete bullshit.

Tom Goes to the Mayor...some people say it's cool, but it musters a light chuckle, at best, and a complete ignoring at worst. If something makes it funny, it must be some sort of hallucinagen.

Super Milk-Chan is almost offensive it's so retarded. I guess it's supposed to be the a heavy mocking of anime with a touch of South Park and the randomness of Aqua Teen Hunger Force. Instead, it becomes a seething hatred for all humanity, the wanton cursing of South Park and the retardation of ATHF.

Aqua Teen Hunger Force itself has gone steadily downhill. It's the same stuff, which was funny, but now it's old. There's been no change from it aside from the lack of Dr. Weird, arguably the best character.

Sealab...is just...as if they took the corpse of the old Sealab and dance it around like some hideous meat puppet. It should have stopped after Harry Goz died, and this "Sharko" crap signified that it's long, long, long overdue for the grave.

Futurama and Family Guy are both cool shows, but everyone's seen every episode at least six times.

Did I cover everything?

Addy
posted 02-07-2005 03:37:10 AM
Super Milk Chan seems to be one of those shows that's more than likely hilarious in its native country (Japan), but it doesn't translate well to others. I watched a couple of episodes, they were eh, but it's really only showing because people obsess over Japan/anime right now. I never saw the point to Aqua Teen Hunger Force, so won't even go there. I think a better substitution for SMC would be Azumanga Daioh, assuming the dub makes an effort to Americanize a bit. (OH CRAP NOT FAITHFUL TO THE ORIGINAL TRANSLATION BECAUSE EVERYONE KNOWS JP CULUTRE* WE'RE SCREWED SIRS.)

New episodes of Family Guy will be airing this spring, so hopefully it'll transfer over to Adult Swim pretty quickly. They need to get rid of Futurama. If Simpsons weren't so lolpopular on Fox (boggles me I know), I'd suggest getting the first few seasons on Adult Swim. Not the new crap, but the happy old nostalgic episodes, for a smooth transition between two series.

But, yeah, I am seeing less of a point to watch Adult Swim, the only anime I watch sometimes is FMA, mostly because I've seen all the Inuyasha episodes subbed.

*not fixing typo because it gives it character imo

Addy fucked around with this message on 02-07-2005 at 03:38 AM.

Snugglits
I LIKE TO ABUSE THE ALERT MOD BUTTON AND I ENJOY THE FLAVOR OF SWEET SWEET COCK.
posted 02-07-2005 03:38:15 AM
You covered it. I would stop watching adult swim if I could break the habit.

If Venture Bros. stagnates, it'll be over between me and adult swim! I declare it!

[b].sig removed by Mr. Parcelan[/b]
Y.O.T.C
No longer a Towel Girl
posted 02-07-2005 03:42:02 AM
Adult swim has sucked its last nut, I stopped watching last semester... With the exception of one night.
Anklebiter
Pancake
posted 02-07-2005 03:50:16 AM
Brak Show
EVE Online:
Asha Vahishta, Minmatar Pilot.
Kael
Whistlepig
posted 02-07-2005 03:59:15 AM
I agree that Sunday needs new blood, and not just for a few weeks either (i.e. Tom Goes, Venture Brothers).

I really only watch FMA and GitS, and I make a note to tape InuYasha since I've been playing Resident Evil and SimCity.

I also think it would be a good idea for [as] to pick up Azumanga Daioh and Excel Saga to replace the Mission Hill/Oblongs/Baby Blues/Home Movies block. This would help pick up the slump til summer when they start showing Samurai Champloo.

Blackened
posted 02-07-2005 10:48:42 AM
Seriously, they need to start finding some better anime to show.

FMA is just about the only thing now I'd want to watch.

Although my distaste for you as a human being is brobdingnagian,
what I'm about to do isn't personal.
diadem
eet bugz
posted 02-07-2005 11:00:22 AM
they need slayers!
play da best song in da world or me eet your soul
Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 02-07-2005 11:07:51 AM
quote:
How.... diadem.... uughhhhhh:
they need slayers!

I second this! A good anime adventure/comedy series to run. ^.^

Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Pouncer of the 12th degree!
"Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"
New Age Bane
Waste Management Crisis
posted 02-07-2005 11:22:01 AM
quote:
A sleep deprived Kael stammered:

I also think it would be a good idea for [as] to pick up Azumanga Daioh and Excel Saga to replace the Mission Hill/Oblongs/Baby Blues/Home Movies block. This would help pick up the slump til summer when they start showing Samurai Champloo.

Can't do that, because then people will bitch they only show anime, plus I love Mission Hill maybe because I live on Mission Hill, new episodes would be nice but I know thats not going to happen. *sigh*

As for venture bros, they should know if there is going to be another season soon I think I'll look for that website I saw that on.

What am I supposed to in here again? Oh yes something witty and oh so pretty!
Il Buono
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend.
posted 02-07-2005 11:29:26 AM
CN purchased advertising space for Venture Bros during the Simpsons a few weeks back; I think that's sign enough that there will be another season of Brockly goodness.

Edit: ANOUTHER? AM I BLOODY BRITISH?

Edit: BLOODY? FUCKIN HELL.

D fucked around with this message on 02-07-2005 at 11:30 AM.

"Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."
Vise the Stompy
Title now 100% ass free!
posted 02-07-2005 12:02:58 PM
Yeah, Venture Brothers need to get more seasons is AS comedy is going to survive. They have been floating on Reruns and their own original shows WAY past their primes. On the other hand the AS anime is going very strong *Milk Chan doesn't count not on Saturday*
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 02-07-2005 01:48:54 PM
Azumanga Daioh would be perfect.

The FMA dub would've been a lot better if Funimation hadn't gotten their filthy hands on it.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 02-07-2005 01:53:15 PM
quote:
diadem stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:
they need slayers!

I just watched this, infact I still need to go through the last DVD, and I agree that it would fit in pretty well. Even if the voice acting takes awhile to get used to.

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 02-07-2005 02:15:13 PM
"Gentlemen! Chop off my head with such velocity, that the blood gushing from my neck propels my lifeless body all the way to Phoenix!"

"Wow, uh... What's in Phoenix?"

"Why, it's your momma, Steve! Get the axe!"

JooJooFlop fucked around with this message on 02-07-2005 at 02:17 PM.

I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Addy
posted 02-07-2005 02:22:22 PM
quote:
Kegwen had this to say about dark elf butts:
Azumanga Daioh would be perfect.

The FMA dub would've been a lot better if Funimation hadn't gotten their filthy hands on it.

FMA dub is fine, purist. >:( >:(

Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 02-07-2005 02:25:53 PM
quote:
Addy had this to say about the Spice Girls:
FMA dub is fine, purist. > >

Who you calling short?!!!!

Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Pouncer of the 12th degree!
"Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 02-07-2005 02:28:48 PM
quote:
From the book of Addy, chapter 3, verse 16:
FMA dub is fine, purist. > >

Ed's voice lacks the same flare it had on the original. It hurts me. Al's is fine. The older fake Elric brother had a better voice actor than Ed. I just cannot deal with Ed's new voice.

I know of plenty of good dubs. Nothing Funimation has done qualifies as a good dub. ADV, sure. Whoever did FLCL is pretty good, too. FUNIMATION SUX

Vise the Stompy
Title now 100% ass free!
posted 02-07-2005 02:32:06 PM
So your faulting the entire series because you dislike one voice? Crazy man

*PS Roy and Hughe's voice in the dub=major good.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 02-07-2005 02:36:17 PM
The main character's voice is pretty important imo

besides, I have the subs and I the series. Unfortunately, Funimation failed to do justice to a great series imo

imo imo imo

edit: one letter makes a big difference

Kegwen fucked around with this message on 02-07-2005 at 02:38 PM.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 02-07-2005 04:02:22 PM
I stopped watching Adult Swim a looooooong time ago.

Slayers would bring me back. Easily. So would Sorceror Hunters.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Snugglits
I LIKE TO ABUSE THE ALERT MOD BUTTON AND I ENJOY THE FLAVOR OF SWEET SWEET COCK.
posted 02-07-2005 05:12:13 PM
Adult Swim needs to get new series, not old ones. Not Simpsons, not Slayers, not anything else that's more than 5 years old. New series.

There are plenty of good quality new anime series, too. It would keep [as] on the edge.

diadem
eet bugz
posted 02-07-2005 05:33:02 PM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Waisz said this:
Adult Swim needs to get new series, not old ones. Not Simpsons, not Slayers, not anything else that's more than 5 years old. New series.

There are plenty of good quality new anime series, too. It would keep [as] on the edge.

most people haven't seen slayers. the good thing about slayers is that you can see one episode without seeing any others and just enjoy it, and you don't have to worry about it having to be censored and butchered. the fact most people havent' seen it either is good for them too.

other than that, i agree... though I understand it must be very costly to keep pumping out new shows like they do. i also understand that since they have a loyal audiance, they don't have to worry about keeping their content fresh as much as they used to.

diadem fucked around with this message on 02-07-2005 at 05:34 PM.

play da best song in da world or me eet your soul
Mr. Gainsborough
posted 02-07-2005 06:05:02 PM
Anime that Adult Swim should get:

Azumanga Daioh
Fushigi Yuugi
Kodocha (which is almost a definite thanks to the licensing by FUNimation)
Magic Knights Rayearth
Pita-ten
Not Evangelion.
Possibly Martian Successor Nadesico
Saber Marionette J
Maybe Revolutionary Girl Utena (but the dub really really sucks )

In other words, they gotta stop showing all action based anime and give some way to a new audience of people that like more comedy related stuff.

Not saying they should get rid of all the Shounen (boys anime) by any means, but seriously...there has to be some Shoujo (girls anime) to drag in that half of the anime fans.

Snugglits
posted 02-07-2005 06:13:00 PM
I disagree with the older series because so many people have seen them. There is new shoujo, too.
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 02-07-2005 06:29:59 PM
I was never amazingly impressed with Saber Marionette.

Tenchi Muyo: In Love!
Love Hina
Ranma 1/2

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 02-07-2005 06:35:51 PM
quote:
Waisz wrote this stupid crap:
I disagree with the older series because so many people have seen them. There is new shoujo, too.

Hmm...newer shoujo that most people haven't seen...

Aishiteru ze Baby - I could definitely see this coming here. It's amazing.
Maria-sama ga Miteru - Nope. Too religious.
Rozen Maiden - This is a really neat series that people should start watching. It's very short, but has a good plot to it that keeps getting better the more of it I watch.
DearS - Oh god this would be chopped up.
Chobits (not so new and people have seen it, but w/e) - Not so chopped up, but who really wants to see the Chobits dub?
Panyo Panyo Di Gi Charat - Oh geez, they should get this. I wanna see it so badly.
New Ah! My Goddess series - It's still running but should get licensed fairly soon. I think it would be a good candidate for an AS anime.
Angelic Layer - Hmm, this might be a good one.
Boys Be.. - This is another really good one, but I don't know how dirty it is because I haven't watched all of it.
Pretty Cure - This is a really awesome magical girl anime that has come out recently. It's fairly long running too which a lot of shoujo can't say.
Saint Tail - It's another old one, but I just remembered it. I wanna see it.
Fruits Basket - This seems to be a big hit and CN likes to pick up big names.
Sakura Wars - A lot of stuff has been coming out for this series and with good reason. It kicks ass. Caters to both Shounen and Shoujo lovers.
Ayashi no Ceres - A little racy, but a kickass anime nonetheless. Yu Watase .
Risky Safety - Supposedly very good. Another one I want to see.
Tiny Snow Fairy Sugar - Because my boxtorrent stopped working for it.

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 02-07-2005 06:36:40 PM
quote:
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael's unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:
Ranma 1/2

Why do you hate Ranma so much? Do you really wanna see it get butchered that badly?

Vise the Stompy
Title now 100% ass free!
posted 02-07-2005 06:51:52 PM
AS has said on their bumps that they will not show Ranama 1/2 ever.
Arrenn Lightblade
Yes. Yes he is.
posted 02-07-2005 06:53:47 PM
GTO would be amusing.
Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 02-07-2005 09:07:18 PM
quote:
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael was naked while typing this:
Love Hina

I don't even like soap operas much, but I started watching the series on DVD on a Friday, and had finished all the seasons/movies by Sunday morning. It was that good.

I still watch Adult Swim anyway, but any anime they show that I enjoy I get impatient for more and buy the next day. The following weekend I'll have it done, making all the remaining episodes on Adult Swim reruns to me.

My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
Dave
)_(
posted 02-07-2005 09:24:02 PM
I totaly agree with Parcelan, cartoon network's shows really suck. I can't stand tom or aqua teen.

They did pretty well picking up FMA and ghost in the shell stand alone complex.

Don't forget guys, they did pick up saumari champloo and another series for this summer. That is pretty good considering how new the show is.

They also picked up the rights to show american dad so they are doing better.

bloodfyr
Pancake
posted 02-08-2005 02:51:58 AM
The text bumps are now just corny, and stupid. When they first came out, they were hilarious. Now they're overused like everything else.

I still watch most nights because there's not much else on save for a show here or there...but still. You can only see Wish Upon a Weinsten so many times before snapping.

bloodfyr fucked around with this message on 02-08-2005 at 02:53 AM.

"If you've got twins, why not sell one? You get a kid and a few extra bucks on the side." - George Carlin

*!Warning: Disregard everthing I post. The whiskey is probably speaking!*

Skaw
posted 02-08-2005 03:04:25 AM
Adult Swim needs less Anime, but even less 1 Season run shows.
Reynar
Oldest Member
Best Lap
posted 02-08-2005 11:20:15 AM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Skaw wrote:
Adult Swim needs less Anime
"Give me control of a nation's money, and I care not who makes its laws."
-Mayer Rothschild
Liam
Swims in Erotic Circles
posted 02-08-2005 11:26:55 AM
AS is eventually going to get Naruto.

Trust me, I'm a genius.

Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 02-08-2005 12:48:06 PM
I never really found adult swim too amusing. They had one or two shows I would watch, and only if I had little else to do.

But given my dislike of most anime I have had the pleasure of seeing, and the fact that many of the shows are rather childish to me, its not surprising.

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 02-08-2005 12:49:33 PM
Wow, what a waste of time! Nice one, Adult Swim.
Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 02-08-2005 01:27:30 PM
quote:
Kegwen impressed everyone with:
Anti-FUNimation crap.

After the butchering they gave Dragonball, FUNimation became the best anime dubbing company out there today. Nobody does better than they do now. And don't you dare say ADV, because ADV can suck my left nut. After the butchering they gave to the Slayers movie and OVAs, I could care less if I every see an anime dubbed by them again. I have seen other animes dubbed by them since, but that's largely irrelevent. Probably tied with FUNimation right now is The Ocean Group(Inuyasha, Gundam SEED, Escaflowne).

All the others like ADV, U.S Manga Corps, are pretty mediocre.

Come to think of it, Tokyopop isn't doing too bad, either.

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piƱa coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 02-08-2005 02:10:10 PM
CN should pick up Full Metal Panic, and Full Metal Panic : Fumoffu.

Dual would be great too. As would Vandread. All have both good comedy parts as well as good action parts.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: