EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: The merits of sex.
Damnati
Filthy
posted 02-04-2005 10:25:33 PM
Ok, I have a friend who constantly says to me "Dude, you need to get laid," and I can't fathom why this is. Granted, many have lost their virginity by my age (20.5 atm) but I fail to recognize any significance in this as none of them are married and their relationships are largely crap (with one or two exceptions). He suggests that I seek out a one-night stand which befuddles me even more as I've never understood what satisfaction could be gained from meaningless sex.

Do any of you have a clue why he'd suggest this? Rather, do any of you know why anyone would suggest this? I've heard from more than a few different people and none of them have bothered explaining to me how meaningless sex with a woman I don't know will improve my situation (single, nearly anti-social nerd). As it stands, I abhor the thought of such pointless hedonism. I doubt I'd gain much in the way of satisfaction from such an encounter. Are them some other things I'm missing here or is my present assessment pretty much accurate? Discuss.

Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 02-04-2005 10:26:37 PM
You're grossly overthinking this.
Demos
Pancake
posted 02-04-2005 10:28:36 PM
Sure its a great thing and all, but its not worth obsessing over. If you feel like it, go for it. If you don't, then don't force yourself, you'll wind up causing more problems for yourself.

As for benefits, it is good exercise

"Jesus saves, Buddha enlightens, Cthulhu thinks you'll make a nice sandwich."
Damnati
Filthy
posted 02-04-2005 10:30:08 PM
quote:
Verily, Mr. Parcelan doth proclaim:
You're grossly overthinking this.

Well, I'm not considering going to find some woman to have sex with, but I keep hearing this and I'm left thinking only how absurd an action it is. I figured I'd put my thoughts here and see if it's really as absurd as I think it is. Perhaps I should've used the rant tag.

quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Demos wrote:
As for benefits, it is good exercise

I laff.

Kuroi Madoushi fucked around with this message on 02-04-2005 at 10:31 PM.

Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Vorbis
Vend-A-Goat
posted 02-04-2005 10:31:11 PM
He wants you to sleep with him, duh.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 02-04-2005 10:32:44 PM
Dudes say that shit to each other all the time. It's sometimes a sign to get laid, but it's also a sign to do a lot of other things, such as:

-Relax
-Stop thinking so much
-Find something to take your mind off something
-Quit thinking about sex
-Stop masturbating
-Stop talking about sex
-Shut up

Mightion Defensor
posted 02-04-2005 10:35:41 PM
You can live to at least 33 (or more!) without having sex.

I'm just glad humans aren't ferrets.

BetaTested
Not gay, but loves the cock!
posted 02-04-2005 10:36:18 PM
They don't bother to try and explain because without ever having sex, you wouldn't understand how sometimes it just feels good to have meaningless sex.

As such, you need to get laid, and I would like to get laid again.

Got Xfire? Join me in the crusade to knock WoW from it's lofty #1 most played Xfire game with Solitare!
Alidane
Urinary Tract Infection
posted 02-04-2005 10:49:35 PM
Intimacy will change you.

Period.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 02-04-2005 10:51:48 PM
quote:
Mightion Defensor had this to say about John Romero:
You can live to at least 33 (or more!) without having sex.

I'm just glad humans aren't ferrets.

This I know well. It's why consider the following utterly absurd and without merit:

quote:
They don't bother to try and explain because without ever having sex, you wouldn't understand how sometimes it just feels good to have meaningless sex.
As such, you need to get laid, and I would like to get laid again.

Frankly, I can pop a wad without assistance. Perhaps I apply too much cold logic to it, but meaningless sex with a woman I don't know seems to accomplish little beyond mutual masturbation, a thought I find rather unappealing. If it just "feels good" there's no reason at all to bother with it. I think Parcelan had the best answer thus far.

Maradon!
posted 02-04-2005 10:53:31 PM
quote:
How.... Kuroi Madoushi.... uughhhhhh:
Discuss.

Uh oh, here comes Maho trying to argue that sex is meaningless and that anyone who has extramarital affairs has a shit life and crappy relationships again.

FACT 1
Many relationships that involve premarital sex are extremely healthy and fulfilling for both parties involved.

FACT 2
Sex is an extremely important part of many relationships. Some people consider it the single greatest expression of love for another human being. For some people it just feels really good, like swimming or eating. It is, naturally, more important to some people than to others. Trying to act like it's "pointless hedonism" just because it isn't important to YOU is the sort of thing only a complete asshole would do.

Now let me turn things around - why NOT have sex? What possible reason could anyone have for avoiding sex with another consenting adult that they're in a relationship with? STD's? Bullshit, unless you're having unprotected sex with people you've only known a couple days, they're not an issue.

Sex is clinically proven to relieve stress, burns a noticible amount of calories, feels good, and gives you a chance to do the same for someone you care for. Most of all, it's simply a biological function, the desire to have sex is no different from the desire to breathe or eat, the fact that you don't die from a lack of sex doesn't change that.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 02-04-2005 at 10:54 PM.

Gadani
U
posted 02-04-2005 10:57:39 PM
quote:
Kuroi Madoushi got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
Frankly, I can pop a wad without assistance. Perhaps I apply too much cold logic to it, but meaningless sex with a woman I don't know seems to accomplish little beyond mutual masturbation, a thought I find rather unappealing. If it just "feels good" there's no reason at all to bother with it. I think Parcelan had the best answer thus far.

You'd really better stop having emotions, too.

Try to apply cold logic to those babies!

KestarTheBlue
Pancake
posted 02-04-2005 11:06:12 PM
Maradon, vouz somme raison.
My sig is not too big!
Maradon!
posted 02-04-2005 11:09:00 PM
quote:
KestarTheBlue had this to say about the Spice Girls:
Maradon, vouz somme raison.

Why thank you, I would like some raisins.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 02-04-2005 11:14:29 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about (_|_):
Uh oh, here comes Maho trying to argue that sex is meaningless and that anyone who has extramarital affairs has a shit life and crappy relationships again.

FACT 1
Many relationships that involve premarital sex are extremely healthy and fulfilling for both parties involved.

FACT 2
Sex is an extremely important part of many relationships. Some people consider it the single greatest expression of love for another human being. For some people it just feels really good, like swimming or eating. It is, naturally, more important to some people than to others. Trying to act like it's "pointless hedonism" just because it isn't important to YOU is the sort of thing only a complete asshole would do.

Now let me turn things around - why NOT have sex? What possible reason could anyone have for avoiding sex with another consenting adult that they're in a relationship with? STD's? Bullshit, unless you're having unprotected sex with people you've only known a couple days, they're not an issue.

Sex is clinically proven to relieve stress, burns a noticible amount of calories, feels good, and gives you a chance to do the same for someone you care for. Most of all, it's simply a biological function, the desire to have sex is no different from the desire to breathe or eat, the fact that you don't die from a lack of sex doesn't change that.

Here comes Maradork, completely missing the point. This has nothing whatsoever to do with disapproving of premarital sex (read the damn post). Note also that I specifically pointed out that it was a question of meaningless sex OUTSIDE of a relationship.

Gunslinger Moogle
No longer a gimmick
posted 02-04-2005 11:16:15 PM
quote:
Maradon! was naked while typing this:

Thanks to the name change and the passage of time, I didn't make the connection until this post.

Awesome.

moogle is the 3241727861th binary digit of pi

Disclaimer: I'm just kidding, I love all living things.
The fastest draw in the Crest.
"The Internet is MY critical thinking course." -Maradon
"Gambling for the husband, an abortion for the wife and fireworks for the kids they chose to keep? Fuck you, Disneyland. The Pine Ridge Indian Reservation is the happiest place on Earth." -JooJooFlop

KestarTheBlue
Pancake
posted 02-04-2005 11:17:57 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about John Romero:
Why thank you, I would like some raisins.

They have already been delivered, piping hot, to your door. But I must warn you - they are A TRICK designed to lull you into a false sense of security so that they may later crawl out of your intestines and steal your credit card number.

My sig is not too big!
Maradon!
posted 02-04-2005 11:25:13 PM
quote:
Kuroi Madoushi wrote this stupid crap:
Note also that I specifically pointed out that it was a question of meaningless sex OUTSIDE of a relationship.

Yeah, I know. That changes my argument how?

Mr. Parcelan
posted 02-04-2005 11:26:00 PM
You're pretty lame, dude.

Frankly, I think it's completely stupid to say: "OH, THERE GOES MARADON AGAIN!" whenever he says something that you disagree with. He does say shit that makes people angry, that people disagree with, etc, but it's not his sole occupation.

Steven Steve
posted 02-04-2005 11:46:40 PM
I was about to say something mean, but the general message is what Maradon said.
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Damnati
Filthy
posted 02-04-2005 11:47:24 PM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Mr. Parcelan wrote:
You're pretty lame, dude.

Frankly, I think it's completely stupid to say: "OH, THERE GOES MARADON AGAIN!" whenever he says something that you disagree with. He does say shit that makes people angry, that people disagree with, etc, but it's not his sole occupation.

It's not to imply that's all he does. Maradon said the following:

quote:
Uh oh, here comes Maho trying to argue that sex is meaningless and that anyone who has premarital affairs has a shit life and crappy relationships again.

Given the irrelevance of this to my original post and the fact that I've mentioned nothing at all on this specific subject (premarital sex) pretty much since the one thread I posted on it ages and ages ago, I figured I'd respond in kind. As for the validity of Maradon's arguement, I didn't bother reading it as it has no relevance to the question I asked, therefore I do not accept it as valid or invalid.

Maradon: correction to your statement. People who have extramarital affairs will likely have a shit life and crappy relationships. Such lack of fidelity often leads to this, but that's entirely beside the point as I know what you meant.

Kuroi Madoushi fucked around with this message on 02-04-2005 at 11:48 PM.

Steven Steve
posted 02-04-2005 11:48:28 PM
The point is, the only reason you're not having sex is that you're a loser.
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

KestarTheBlue
Pancake
posted 02-04-2005 11:51:37 PM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Fazum'Zen Fastfist:

Would you like raisins too? I have oh so many precious raisins that are just begging me to hand them out... they beg me all the time. Sometimes I can't hear it when people are talking to me, on account of all the raisins...

My sig is not too big!
Damnati
Filthy
posted 02-04-2005 11:52:08 PM
quote:
Fazum'Zen Fastfist had this to say about Punky Brewster:

That, I can say with certainty, is why I don't have the opportunity to do so. Given the opportunity, despite my scorn for such foolishness, I'd probably take it.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 02-04-2005 11:52:14 PM
quote:
Nobody really understood why Kuroi Madoushi wrote:

Maradon: correction to your statement. People who have extramarital affairs will likely have a shit life and crappy relationships. Such lack of fidelity often leads to this, but that's entirely beside the point as I know what you meant.

Are you done making blanket statements about that which you know nothing about or are you going to continue at this pace?

Your experience with a few of your friends doesn't mean much, fyi.

edit: so you'd give up that wonderfully awesome life that comes with avoiding sex if given the opportunity? wow

Kegwen fucked around with this message on 02-04-2005 at 11:54 PM.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 02-04-2005 11:53:30 PM
quote:
Kegwen's account was hax0red to write:
Are you done making blanket statements about that which you know nothing about or are you going to continue at this pace?

Your experience with a few of your friends doesn't mean much, fyi.

You know people who regularly cheat on their SO and don't have shitty relationships and pretty crappy lives overall?

Mr. Parcelan
posted 02-04-2005 11:53:45 PM
That's a bunch of logic raped right up in your ass. UP YOUR ASS.

THAT'S WHERE IT GOES BECAUSE THE DEVIL'S INSIDE YOU. DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE

Gadani
U
posted 02-04-2005 11:55:36 PM
quote:
Kuroi Madoushi's fortune cookie read:
You know people who regularly cheat on their SO and don't have shitty relationships and pretty crappy lives overall?

Extramarital doesn't necessarily mean you have to be married first.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 02-04-2005 11:56:16 PM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Kuroi Madoushi:

Regularly cheating on one's SO is a pretty good indicator that one is a bad person, anyway.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 02-04-2005 11:58:31 PM
quote:
Kegwen attempted to be funny by writing:
Regularly cheating on one's SO is a pretty good indicator that one is a bad person, anyway.

Which is why I said people having extramarital affairs have shitty lives and relationships. Premarital affairs are another matter entirely; something I've come to understand in a somewhat different light in the last year or so. Perhaps it was an issue of semantics? I realized, belatedly, that extramarital could convey premarital as well.

Manticore
Not Much Fun Anymore
posted 02-05-2005 12:04:22 AM
"Hey, while you're here go ahead and make yourself at home... get a drink, grab some food, fuck my wife, watch some TV... make yourself comfortable... just dont do anything jesus wouldn't do" ~Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle.
"France tried to turtle, but Hitler did a tank rush before they were ready. Just shows how horribly unbalanced real life is. They should release a patch."
Gadani
U
posted 02-05-2005 12:05:07 AM
quote:
Manticore enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:
"Hey, while you're here go ahead and make yourself at home... get a drink, grab some food, fuck my wife, watch some TV... make yourself comfortable... just dont do anything jesus wouldn't do" ~Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle.

I loved that movie.

Manticore
Not Much Fun Anymore
posted 02-05-2005 12:06:21 AM
quote:
Gadani had this to say about Robocop:
I loved that movie.

I just watched it... High-larious.

"France tried to turtle, but Hitler did a tank rush before they were ready. Just shows how horribly unbalanced real life is. They should release a patch."
Aury
My hair is a deadly weapon
posted 02-05-2005 12:08:23 AM
*shrugs* If the opportunity presents itself and the chick isn't a total skank, go for it. makes for good stories to tell over beer.
Damnati
Filthy
posted 02-05-2005 12:10:13 AM
quote:
Aury attempted to be funny by writing:
*shrugs* If the opportunity presents itself and the chick isn't a total skank, go for it. makes for good stories to tell over beer.

Someone actually just pointed out that angle to me, seemed like a potentially good motivator.

Sentow, Maybe
Pancake
posted 02-05-2005 12:49:35 AM
quote:
Gadani painfully thought these words up:
Extramarital doesn't necessarily mean you have to be married first.

/bonk

Once more into the breach, my friends, once more. We'll close the wall with our dead. In peace, nothing so becomes a man as modesty and humility, but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with rage and lend the eye a terrible aspect.
Gadani
U
posted 02-05-2005 12:58:49 AM
quote:
Sentow, Maybe stopped beating up furries long enough to write:
/bonk

I wasn't using a dictionary. I was using basic knowledge of prefixes and suffixes.

Guess I was wrong.

Vernaltemptress
Withered and Alone
posted 02-05-2005 02:29:17 AM
Regular sex helps students with studies.

FWIW

Obamanomics: spend, tax, and borrow.
Vorbis
Vend-A-Goat
posted 02-05-2005 02:32:00 AM
quote:
Vernaltemptress's fortune cookie read:
Regular sex helps students with studies.

FWIW

But was the double major really worth the herpes?

Vinven D`Slyfox
posted 02-05-2005 03:46:40 AM
sex is natural, sex is fun.

sex is best when its one on one.

ccccmon

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: