EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Starting WoW in less then a week.
Gikk
SCA babe!!!
posted 01-15-2005 02:48:06 PM
What do I need to know? I've been like waaaaay far out of the gaming loop.

Oh, and hi~~~~

Gikk fucked around with this message on 01-15-2005 at 02:51 PM.

Maradon!
posted 01-15-2005 02:50:11 PM
Apparently you've been far out of the board loop and have forgotten that html tags don't work. Not that <small> is an html tag.

But anyway yeah, all you need to know is to play horde.

Caid '5 Fists' Berrit
I've had a few beers but I'm cool to drive
posted 01-15-2005 02:52:39 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about the Spice Girls:
But anyway yeah, all you need to know is to play alliance.
'But if I had a shotgun you know what I'd do?
I'd point that shit straight at the sky and shoot heavan on down for you'

Bradley Nowell
Gikk
SCA babe!!!
posted 01-15-2005 02:52:48 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about (_|_):
Apparently you've been far out of the board loop and have forgotten that html tags don't work. Not that <small> is an html tag.

But anyway yeah, all you need to know is to play horde.

.. It's the influence of way too much livejournal.

*is playing alliance*

Maradon!
posted 01-15-2005 02:54:57 PM
Alliance is for pansies.
Gikk
SCA babe!!!
posted 01-15-2005 02:56:16 PM
quote:
Maradon! spewed forth this undeniable truth:
Alliance is for pansies.

Maradon!
posted 01-15-2005 03:00:00 PM
And queers.

The type of people who played mithra in FFXI.

Gikk
SCA babe!!!
posted 01-15-2005 03:03:18 PM
I havn't played FFXI at all. >.>

However, I think I'm going to curl up and play FFI.

*does the FF dance*

Caid '5 Fists' Berrit
posted 01-15-2005 03:10:48 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
Alliance is for really cool people like Caid.

Bradley Nowell
Suddar
posted 01-15-2005 03:11:51 PM
I miss LJ
Vorago
A completely different kind of Buckethead
posted 01-15-2005 03:12:55 PM
In terms of actual in-game stuff... not a whole lot. WoW is so newbie friendly it is ludicrous, you will pick everything you need to play as you go along

One tip...

Read the quest log. I have only had all of two quests I can think of that didn't give me good directions to where I need to go, by simply reading them and using some simple logic, you can get where you need to go.

And on the subject of side...
Alliance has a bit of a range from server to server... Alliance either outnumbers the Horde noticably, or by so much it is just insane. Horde named servers on the average have closer population balances, Zul'Jin is at 1.6 or so alliance players per horde which is shockingly low, heh. This population amount isn't neccassarily a good thing for them, just how it is at the moment.

And neither side are the good guys

Alleria is the server to go if you choose Alliance (I believe)
Zul'Jin is the server to go if you choose Horde

Best thing would be to ahead of time think about what you want to do, what kind of general archtype you want to play in WoW, what do you enjoy playing in a game. Tell us, and we can suggest classes for you... I enjoy having a single main I like right from the start rather than having to make a hojillion alts to find 'me'

Vorago fucked around with this message on 01-15-2005 at 03:13 PM.

Bummey the Fool
Prefers to play with men
posted 01-15-2005 03:47:12 PM
quote:
Gikk enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:
What do I need to know? I've been like waaaaay far out of the gaming loop.

Oh, and hi~~~~

Keep in mind that the vast majority of people who play WoW are 13 year old, korean children. Such is Blizzard's fan base Expect to be told to "eat a dick" or to "go fuck ur muther u fukin fag" numerous times for asking such a simple question as "Where did you get that Dark Whelpling pet? I would like one, too!"

Most of the people who play this game are using their mommy's credit card, and as such, are whiny little bitches who can't understand why you won't give them all of your Soulbound Artisan-Level engineered items that they can't even use.

I hate Blizzard's fan base, but I love this game.

edit: Also, expect to see many level 60 warriors without defensive and berserker stance, and lots of high level hunters without pets.

Bummey the Fool fucked around with this message on 01-15-2005 at 03:48 PM.

Skaw
posted 01-15-2005 03:55:32 PM
quote:
Maradon! obviously shouldn't have said:
And queers.

But... my girlfriend plays a Mithra, despite my better judgment of opinion.

Mod
Pancake
posted 01-15-2005 04:29:12 PM
Find yourself people you know to play with in your timezone, most random people you'll meet will be tremendous cocks with an ego the size of the sun, no concept of their class and a talent setup built on the 'pretty icon'-principle.
Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 01-15-2005 04:35:07 PM
quote:
Mod had this to say about Reading Rainbow:
Find yourself people you know to play with in your timezone, most random people you'll meet will be tremendous cocks with an ego the size of the sun, no concept of their class and a talent setup built on the 'pretty icon'-principle.

Too true. You'll find this about twice as much in the Alliance as in the Horde.

/dev/null
Pancake
posted 01-15-2005 04:40:13 PM
quote:
So quoth Mod:

Sounds like EQ to me.

Beep. Beep. Beep... Ohh... I think my porridge is done.
My fellow Americans, as you know, my foreign policy can be summed up in five words: "Iludium-236 Explosive Space Modulator."
When it comes down to it, searching the web without Google is like straining sewage with your teeth.
Gikk
SCA babe!!!
posted 01-15-2005 05:02:27 PM
quote:
Suddar attempted to be funny by writing:
I miss LJ

It is down and I am sad.

Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 01-15-2005 05:15:25 PM
Not everyone is like that.

I've met plenty of nice people Alliance side on Zul'Jin. There are idiots in every game, your RL friends arent on all the time.

(Insert Funny Phrase Here)
Gikk
SCA babe!!!
posted 01-15-2005 05:17:59 PM
Would be playing with RL friends and online friends.
Caid '5 Fists' Berrit
posted 01-15-2005 05:52:44 PM
quote:
Bummey the Fool had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
Keep in mind that the vast majority of people who play WoW are 13 year old, korean children. Such is Blizzard's fan base Expect to be told to "eat a dick" or to "go fuck ur muther u fukin fag" numerous times for asking such a simple question as "Where did you get that Dark Whelpling pet? I would like one, too!"

Most of the people who play this game are using their mommy's credit card, and as such, are whiny little bitches who can't understand why you won't give them all of your Soulbound Artisan-Level engineered items that they can't even use.

I hate Blizzard's fan base, but I love this game.

edit: Also, expect to see many level 60 warriors without defensive and berserker stance, and lots of high level hunters without pets.

You know, other than the other day when half the servers were down, and tons of people came to Feathermoon to make characters, I haven't ran into anyone that's a dickhead, or even blatantly as immature as you've stated.

*shrugs* I dunno, roleplaying servers seem alot better than regular servers, from my experience. There's the occasional idiot that comes on obviously, but as soon as he starts to be a jackass over General, people explain what a roleplaying server is, and they usually leave....albeit calling us fags for playing on a roleplaying server, but meh.

Just my experiences.

Bradley Nowell
Maradon!
posted 01-15-2005 10:18:08 PM
I've ran into a few complete assholes, but nobody that's been overtly offensive. Mostly just a glut of people who think it's acceptable to have a name like "Kapnkooter" and use phrases like "n e 1" and "u r". I also like to randomly hand out 1g to total newbies, and the ones that just say "thx" piss me off to no end.

On the whole I've seen slightly more idiots than normal, but since it's not a "Grouping Enforcedcouraged" game like EQ1&2 it's easily worked around, and tends to dry up in the high end game.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 01-15-2005 at 10:19 PM.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 01-15-2005 10:20:19 PM
quote:
A sleep deprived Maradon! stammered:
I also like to randomly hand out 1g to total newbies, and the ones that just say "thx" piss me off to no end.

When I get gifts, it's pleasant, but nothing more than a "Oh, hey, that's pretty cool. Thanks."

A lot of people get offended if you don't gush.

Maradon!
posted 01-15-2005 10:21:30 PM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Mr. Parcelan:
When I get gifts, it's pleasant, but nothing more than a "Oh, hey, that's pretty cool. Thanks."

A lot of people get offended if you don't gush.

I wouldn't mind if they just said "Thanks". Maybe a happy lil' exclamation point.

The fact that they can't be bothered to spell out "Thanks" is what pisses me off.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 01-15-2005 at 10:22 PM.

Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 01-15-2005 11:13:26 PM
I find that running along the paths buffing everyone as a priest gets me buffed in return. People are generally nice, though a lot of them have taken up WoW as a first MMO, unlike EQ2 which holds more EQ1 veterans.
My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
Aaron (the good one)
posted 01-15-2005 11:17:40 PM
Just don't play a druid.

Play a mage. I've seen so little mages. Lots of Paladins and Warlocks, little to none mages. Priests are also desolate but that is to be expected.

Galbadia Hotel - Video Game Music
I am Canadian and I hate The Tragically Hip
Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 01-16-2005 01:11:35 AM
quote:
Delidgamond had this to say about John Romero:
Priests are also desolate but that is to be expected.

I've seen one other priest as a night elf, and haven't seen any other undead ones. Why don't people want to play a class so important to most groups?

My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
Damnati
Filthy
posted 01-16-2005 01:13:35 AM
Go Horde or go home.

FOR HELLSCREAM!!

Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 01-16-2005 01:56:52 AM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Rodent King wrote:
I've seen one other priest as a night elf, and haven't seen any other undead ones. Why don't people want to play a class so important to most groups?

Because Druids can heal, as well as Shamens/Paladins.

Almost half the classes in the game can heal other people.

Warlocks can heal themselves.

Everyone gest bandages.

Arguably, an int/sta paladin with full holy spec(splash defense for +10% armor) is a better healer than a priest because of the much faster cast spell, and the longer combat lasting.

(Insert Funny Phrase Here)
Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 01-16-2005 02:14:17 AM
quote:
Elvish Crack Piper probably says this to all the girls:
Because Druids can heal, as well as Shamens/Paladins.

Almost half the classes in the game can heal other people.

Warlocks can heal themselves.

Everyone gest bandages.

Arguably, an int/sta paladin with full holy spec(splash defense for +10% armor) is a better healer than a priest because of the much faster cast spell, and the longer combat lasting.

Heal.. ourselves? You're.. joking, right? Please tell me you are.

Omg look siphon life! Yes, that 30hp every three seconds is massive. Plus it's a talent twenty points into our tree.

But wait.. what about drain life?! Surely, that's a heal.

PvP? Useless. I might as well fire up a giant flare with a sign that says "ATTACK ME FOR ESY RAPAGE" when I put *any* beam spell on.

PvE? Not entirely useless, but there is no way in HELL I would call it a healing spell. In any way. Even with Shadow mastery and Improved drain life.

Abbikat
Tastes best with pudding
posted 01-16-2005 02:34:10 AM
quote:
Maradon! thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:

HEY!! I played Mithra in FFXI, and I'm Horde in WoW...

Were-Tigress Disciple of Lycanthropy
Perma-lowbie, addicted to MMORPGs
My LiveJournal

El Cuchillo
RETARD! DO NOT FEED!
posted 01-16-2005 04:18:01 AM
Shattered Hand is also a good server if you want to play Horde, my old EQ posse has a pretty decent guild going there. As an example, we managed to kill the bosses of Scarlet Monastery with none of us over 38, I felt pretty good when I looted a blue shield I couldn't even use yet.

*shameless plug mode off*

Strip Club - Online Comic Reader and Archiver for Linux and Windows (and maybe OSX)
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 01-16-2005 05:24:23 AM
quote:
So quoth Mod:

Never ever had that problem on my server.
Wheee...

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Maradon!
posted 01-16-2005 11:43:06 AM
quote:
Abbikat was naked while typing this:
HEY!! I played Mithra in FFXI, and I'm Horde in WoW...

I meant the type of people who played mitra in FFXI and were male.

I had a dream that Gikk was dating a guy named "Sea Bass"

Nae
Fun with Chocolate
posted 01-16-2005 12:15:29 PM
quote:
Verily, Caid '5 Fists' Berrit doth proclaim:
You know, other than the other day when half the servers were down, and tons of people came to Feathermoon to make characters, I haven't ran into anyone that's a dickhead, or even blatantly as immature as you've stated.

*shrugs* I dunno, roleplaying servers seem alot better than regular servers, from my experience. There's the occasional idiot that comes on obviously, but as soon as he starts to be a jackass over General, people explain what a roleplaying server is, and they usually leave....albeit calling us fags for playing on a roleplaying server, but meh.

Just my experiences.

Yeah that night sucked.

I was playing my Mage for a bit then I started a Human Priest. The newbie area was totally a mess.

(btw you can add Ghlina and Margrit to your friend's list if you would like.. Josh and UBT have some humans there too. Josh is a Paladin and UBT is a Mage. I think UBT's name is Delmakor, I forget what Josh's name is right now.)

I prefer playing Horde I think, but I am enjoying trying something new. One thing I noticed is that Feathermoon's general channel is extremely chatty. On my PVE server we don't have that kind of noise. Also, the players on Horde don't KS half as much as they do on Feathermoon's Alliance. It's honestly ridiculous.

Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 01-16-2005 12:17:38 PM
quote:
Maradon! wrote this stupid crap:
I meant the type of people who played mitra in FFXI and were male.

I had a dream that Gikk was dating a guy named "Sea Bass"

For some reason I feel I should be offended by this on some level... but for the life of me I don't know why.

And if/when I get into playing another MMO again, I would be playing which ever side doesn't seem to be full of tards on whichever server I choose. During open beta I saw lots of stupidity on both sides, but that's not a fair guage of things.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
-----------------------------------
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Caid '5 Fists' Berrit
posted 01-16-2005 01:29:29 PM
quote:
Nae had this to say about Robocop:
Yeah that night sucked.

I was playing my Mage for a bit then I started a Human Priest. The newbie area was totally a mess.

(btw you can add Ghlina and Margrit to your friend's list if you would like.. Josh and UBT have some humans there too. Josh is a Paladin and UBT is a Mage. I think UBT's name is Delmakor, I forget what Josh's name is right now.)

I prefer playing Horde I think, but I am enjoying trying something new. One thing I noticed is that Feathermoon's general channel is extremely chatty. On my PVE server we don't have that kind of noise. Also, the players on Horde don't KS half as much as they do on Feathermoon's Alliance. It's honestly ridiculous.

Will do

And yeah, most alliance is really quick to chase down any horde they see and try to fight them. I guess they're just looking for some pvp action.

I've been trying to get into playing horde, but I dunno....I'm kinda torn about wether to play Zul'Jin with all those guys, or finding somewhere else to play....

Bradley Nowell
Nae
Fun with Chocolate
posted 01-16-2005 07:20:55 PM
quote:
Caid '5 Fists' Berrit's account was hax0red to write:
Will do

And yeah, most alliance is really quick to chase down any horde they see and try to fight them. I guess they're just looking for some pvp action.

I've been trying to get into playing horde, but I dunno....I'm kinda torn about wether to play Zul'Jin with all those guys, or finding somewhere else to play....

By KS I mean kill-steal, not pvp..

Everytime UBT and I are trying to fight anything that's needed for a quest, we have some Rogue or Paladin run up and attack it. A couple of times we were fighting something only to have an entire group attack it. We had this one Rogue follow us around attacking all our kills for 15 minutes. He was 3 levels higher than us too. We finally lost him by letting him take on the thing we were killing and we ran off.

Caid '5 Fists' Berrit
posted 01-17-2005 04:34:50 AM
oh I see, got my mmog acronyms mixed up. Thought you meant Kill on Sight.

Yeah, there's a lot of douchebags on alliance.

Bradley Nowell
Trillee
I <3 My Deviant
posted 01-17-2005 07:45:47 AM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Mr. Parcelan!
Too true. You'll find this about twice as much in the Alliance as in the Horde.

I don't know what it is.. but no matter on which server... every time I play my horde charicters, I'm constently getting random duel request. Not even asked "Hey, wanna duel?" It's really annoying. Especialy when I'm trying to finish a quest, or trying to make something... hell even while I'm killing a mob... My Alliance chars are hardly bothered... occational duel request from a horde member.. but that's to be expected.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 01-17-2005 07:57:42 AM
Consistently, wherever I've been, the Horde is the one to seek out a challenge.

In a Horde scenario, someone calls up for a raid, everyone goes "HELL YEAH!" and we stay and fight until we're wiped out.

In the Alliance, someone calls up for a raid, everyone goes "Wait, where?" "I dunno, I was thinking maybe Crossroads?" "Naw, too many players." "Tarren Mill?" "Too many guards." "Well, how about Splintertree Post? Their guards are broken." "HELL YEAH!" "Wait, wait, there's about three level 40s there already." "Shit...well, I can go mine or something. I've got this pick." "Wait, the 40s left, there's just a 20 or so." "RAID RAID RAID!" "Shit, a level 50." "He's like two 40s taped together!" "We can take him! We have the skills!" "Yeah, but I dunno...I mean, there's a vein right here." "Okay, you mine, and then we'll go, okay?" "I've got dinner in half an hour." "Christ, Steve!" "That's Barnacleez to you!"

In short, the Horde are pumped with testosterone and the Alliance are complete pansies and idiots.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: