EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: The Q&A Thread
nem-x
posted 12-25-2004 09:24:44 AM
Ask a question that you wonder about but never really took the time to research/google. Maybe someone else will find it interesting and answer it.

Why do you hear a high pitched hum/buzzing sound when there is no other noise present?

Why do gnats or other small flying insects tend to go straight FOR YOUR EYES?

Sean
posted 12-25-2004 09:47:49 AM
What do A.M. and P.M. stand for?

How does Jello work?

A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Liam
Swims in Erotic Circles
posted 12-25-2004 09:50:44 AM
quote:
A sleep deprived Sean stammered:
What do A.M. and P.M. stand for?

How does Jello work?

After Midnight and Past Midday, I'm pretty sure.

And Jello is a mystery. I don't even know what phase it rests in, but I think it's plasma.

OR LIQUID SOLID.

Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 12-25-2004 09:57:49 AM
quote:
nem-x had this to say about dark elf butts:
Why do you hear a high pitched hum/buzzing sound when there is no other noise present?

Tinnitus: A ringing or buzzing in the ears.

This is caused by hearing damage, as I recall.

quote:
Sean attempted to be funny by writing:
How does Jello work?

Protiens linking together give it structure. These protiens are found in bones, fingernails, and horse hooves.

Palador ChibiDragon fucked around with this message on 12-25-2004 at 10:00 AM.

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
Suddar
posted 12-25-2004 10:11:25 AM
AM and PM are Latin phrases that we've shortened because we do that stuff.

AM stands for ante meridiem (which I guess means before noon) and PM stands for post meridiem.

Suddar fucked around with this message on 12-25-2004 at 10:12 AM.

Talonus
Loner
posted 12-25-2004 10:12:04 AM
quote:
Liam stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:

Close. They originate from Latin phrases; AM is ante meridiem (before noon) and PM is post meridiem (after noon).

Edit: Curse you Suddar!

Talonus fucked around with this message on 12-25-2004 at 10:12 AM.

Suddar
posted 12-25-2004 10:14:50 AM
quote:
Talonus wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
Edit: Curse you Suddar!

Ha, and that was even WITH the time it took to check my facts.

Suddar fucked around with this message on 12-25-2004 at 10:15 AM.

Talonus
Loner
posted 12-25-2004 10:17:04 AM
quote:
Suddar had this to say about Matthew Broderick:
Ha, and that was even WITH the time it took to check my facts.

Curse you more. I couldn't remember if it was meridem or meridiem.

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 12-25-2004 11:41:20 AM
Why is touching so good?
Gadani
U
posted 12-25-2004 11:56:36 AM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by nem-x:

I was wondering that too.

It also happens if I tighten my jaw.

Razor
posted 12-25-2004 12:19:24 PM
quote:
nem-x Model 2000 was programmed to say:

To add on to what Chibidragon said:

Tinnitus is caused by many things, one of the most common is from listening to music too loud. Other reasons include inner-ear infections (reason I have it), Gun Shots, ears unable to equalize pressure corectly, etc..

The volume of it really depens on how much sound is around and whether or not you're listening to is specifically. Depression of any sort happens to make it louder (Thank's Kaiser for tellin me this...).

All in all, it's uncurable without going deaf.

I have had this for nearly 18+ years because of the multitude of ear infections I had when i was younger. My ears have healed for the perferations they had for 17 years. really hard to hear some things. but I know what pitch my tinnitus rings at so I know what to avoid on making me go insane from the noise.

Astronomy is a passion...
Engineering is a love...
My job isn't a job, it's my career, and I love every minute of it: Observatory Superintendent
nem-x
posted 12-25-2004 06:50:23 PM
I thought it was normal.

I only hear it when it's absolutely quiet.

Noxhil
Pancake
posted 12-25-2004 09:16:45 PM
What's happening when bread goes stale?
Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 12-25-2004 09:35:42 PM
quote:
nem-x had this to say about Knight Rider:
I thought it was normal.

I only hear it when it's absolutely quiet.

To some extent, it is. Everyday sounds can slowly damage your hearing. That's one of the reasons older people tend to be hard of hearing.

Modern noises, such as industrial machines (like where I work) can make the process MUCH faster though. Protect your hearing, serious damage doesn't heal back. EVER.

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
Maradon!
posted 12-25-2004 09:47:44 PM
quote:
Liam was naked while typing this:

And Jello is a mystery. I don't even know what phase it rests in, but I think it's plasma.

OR LIQUID SOLID.

What tal said

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 12-25-2004 at 09:48 PM.

Maradon!
posted 12-25-2004 09:51:15 PM
quote:
Nobody really understood why Noxhil wrote:
What's happening when bread goes stale?

It dries out. That's all. If you lay a warm, moist cloth over it for a day or so you can rehydrate it.

The ringing in your ears when there is no sound is not nesscessarily tinnitus. Tinnitus is a disorder when the ringing begins to affect actual sounds that you hear. The ringing itself is nothing more than the bloodflow across your eardrum.

Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 12-25-2004 09:55:34 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Robocop:
The ringing in your ears when there is no sound is not nesscessarily tinnitus. Tinnitus is a disorder when the ringing begins to affect actual sounds that you hear. The ringing itself is nothing more than the bloodflow across your eardrum.

That might be true, but alot of people can't hear that due to whatever damage they've done to their ears. If that's what you're hearing, congratulations! You have good hearing!

It can also be caused by a buildup of wax in the ear. That happened to me as a little kid.

Having worked twelve years at a place that requires hearing protection, the first answer I thought of was the one I tend to worry about most, the bad one.

Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 12-25-2004 11:22:18 PM
quote:
nem-x obviously shouldn't have said:

Why do gnats or other small flying insects tend to go straight FOR YOUR EYES?

They dont, you just dont feel when a gnat bounces off your jeans or jacket. Therefore it seems like its always your eyes because you only ever see em there.

(Insert Funny Phrase Here)
Arrenn Lightblade
Yes. Yes he is.
posted 12-26-2004 12:00:27 AM
I always thought the gnats/insects went for your eyes because they have moisture.

Edit: Me types well!

Arrenn Lightblade fucked around with this message on 12-26-2004 at 12:05 AM.

OtakuPenguin
Peels like a tangerine, but is juicy like an orange.
posted 12-26-2004 02:06:33 AM
Is bottled water literally just taken from a local tap? Or is it purified and such? Anything added?
..:: This Is The Sound Of Settling ::..
Kermitov
Pancake
posted 12-26-2004 03:29:20 AM
quote:
We were all impressed when OtakuPenguin wrote:
Is bottled water literally just taken from a local tap? Or is it purified and such? Anything added?

It's usually purified by reverse osmosis.

Niklas
hay guys whats going on in this title?
posted 12-26-2004 04:14:23 AM
quote:
Suddar had this to say about the Spice Girls:

AM stands for ante meridiem (which I guess means before noon) and PM stands for post meridiem.

Ante and post meridian not meridiem

quote:

This depends. If it's bottled mineral water (like Evian), it comes from a proper spring and hence has beneficient minerals in it. This is still purified to a certain extent and the spring is checked regularly for bad impurities. The good impurities are what makes Evian taste different to Volvic and so on.

If the bottled water is purified water, it's a different story. They have all sorts of crazy things they do which essentially means that you get pure distilled water with impurities added in afterwards like the coke bottled water. This is essentially purified tap water and much cheaper (for the manufacturer) since you don't need to own a large and tasty spring.

Niklas fucked around with this message on 12-26-2004 at 04:17 AM.

nem-x
posted 12-26-2004 04:36:47 AM
Why do people yawn?

Why do people tear up/get the sniffles when crying?

SNIFFLES!

Lashanna
noob
posted 12-26-2004 04:51:14 AM
quote:
nem-x probably says this to all the girls:

SNIFFLES!

Waferbaby.

Dad's going to kill you. Really. He is.
Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 12-26-2004 08:02:54 AM
quote:
nem-x Model 2000 was programmed to say:
Why do people yawn?

I heard the answer to this a long time ago, but I don't really remember it. I think it had something to do with being triggered by reduced oxygen levels in the brain due to being tired, and your body trying to force you to take a deep breath. But, I heard this so long ago, I might be totally mis-remembering.

Peter
Pancake
posted 12-26-2004 08:26:17 AM
quote:
Nobody really understood why Niklas wrote:
....If the bottled water is purified water, it's a different story. They have all sorts of crazy things they do which essentially means that you get pure distilled water with impurities added in afterwards like the coke bottled water. This is essentially purified tap water and much cheaper (for the manufacturer) since you don't need to own a large and tasty spring.

FYI, Most beverage companies have large plants to distill water before they use it to make their products. It is a pretty easy thing for Coke or say Budwiser to bottle this water up and sell it under a diffrent name and such.

Liam
Swims in Erotic Circles
posted 12-26-2004 12:27:20 PM
Why can't you tickle yourself, but others can tickle you?

What's up with that?

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 12-26-2004 06:07:01 PM
quote:
Liam got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
Why can't you tickle yourself, but others can tickle you?

What's up with that?

I can tickle myself.

Blackened
posted 12-26-2004 06:37:25 PM
What is the name of Death's pale horse?

Although my distaste for you as a human being is brobdingnagian,
what I'm about to do isn't personal.
Gadani
U
posted 12-26-2004 06:42:31 PM
quote:
Blackened had this to say about Captain Planet:

Binky, in the Discworld books.

Alaan
posted 12-26-2004 06:45:17 PM
Why do 2 liters of pop cost less than 20 oz bottles of pop, which are far smaller than the 2 liters?
Gadani
U
posted 12-26-2004 06:46:33 PM
quote:
Alaan had this to say about Duck Tales:
Why do 2 liters of pop cost less than 20 oz bottles of pop, which are far smaller than the 2 liters?

20 oz bottles are more ergonomic than 2-liters.

Blackened
posted 12-26-2004 06:53:24 PM
quote:
Gadani thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:
Binky, in the Discworld books.
I knew I should have mentioned I didn't want that goddamn answer.

Sean
posted 12-26-2004 06:57:40 PM
Why is Black so goddamned useless in covering my ass when I miss important threads?
A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Gadani
U
posted 12-26-2004 07:26:39 PM
quote:
Blackened attempted to be funny by writing:
I knew I should have mentioned I didn't want that goddamn answer.

Sorry.

diadem
eet bugz
posted 12-26-2004 08:43:34 PM
when you get arrested, do you get one phonecall or as many local as you want?
play da best song in da world or me eet your soul
Jet
Pancake
posted 12-26-2004 09:21:08 PM
quote:
Blackened stopped beating up furries long enough to write:

In PIERS ANTHONY's The first novel of the INCARNATIONS OF IMMORATLITY series..On a Pale Horse... I think his name was "Mort"

Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 12-27-2004 02:08:42 AM
quote:
Palador ChibiDragon had this to say about Matthew Broderick:
I heard the answer to this a long time ago, but I don't really remember it. I think it had something to do with being triggered by reduced oxygen levels in the brain due to being tired, and your body trying to force you to take a deep breath. But, I heard this so long ago, I might be totally mis-remembering.

Excess of CO2 in the bloodstream which can be a result of a number of things, not just being tired.

And Death's Horse is Mortis.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
-----------------------------------
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Blackened
posted 12-27-2004 02:13:28 AM
quote:
Jet's unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:
In PIERS ANTHONY's The first novel of the INCARNATIONS OF IMMORATLITY series..On a Pale Horse... I think his name was "Mort"
... No, that just won't do

Vernaltemptress
Withered and Alone
posted 12-27-2004 02:36:50 AM
quote:
Blackened stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:
... No, that just won't do

What song is that line from?

Obamanomics: spend, tax, and borrow.
All times are US/Eastern