EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Poll: Gonna play EQ2?
Author
Topic: IT is coming!
Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 08-18-2004 01:38:29 PM
So who's going to join up for EQ2 with me?
My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
Ruvyen
Cartoon Broccoli Boy
posted 08-18-2004 01:43:51 PM
FOR THE HORDE!

*Cleaves RK in two with a battleaxe.*

Thief: "I have come to a realisation. Dragons are not real in a general sense, but they may exist in certain specific cases."
Fighter: "Like how quantum mechanics describes how subatomic particles can spontaneously pop into existence at random!"
Thief: "No, that's stupid and stop making up words."
--8-Bit Theater
Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 08-18-2004 01:45:54 PM
I'm (apparently) going to be in the Matrix online beta instead.

Wtf? I didn't even sign up for it.

OtakuPenguin
Peels like a tangerine, but is juicy like an orange.
posted 08-18-2004 01:52:22 PM
For the Alliance! =p
..:: This Is The Sound Of Settling ::..
Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 08-18-2004 01:54:33 PM
I honestly don't know too much about WoW's strongpoints compared to EQ2, but with some of the people here in the beta...can you tell me what WoW has that EQ2 won't?

Does it have the voice acted NPC's? The heritage system to transfer existing EQ items? How many classes/races does it have? Are they mixable? (Orcish paladins, etc) How will guilds (Or their equivalents) work? PVP at all? Factions at all? Any other major selling point I'm missing? I mean, will it be a good game or something Blizzard's banking on the fanboys to sell?

My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
Snoota
Now I am become Death, shatterer of worlds
posted 08-18-2004 02:00:43 PM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Rodent King said:
I honestly don't know too much about WoW's strongpoints compared to EQ2, but with some of the people here in the beta...can you tell me what WoW has that EQ2 won't?

I can tell you what EQ2 has that WoW won't!

Sony.

Which is why most people aren't playing EQ2.

Hostile Makeover
Evil as chocolate covered thistles
posted 08-18-2004 02:02:12 PM
Trent
Smurfberry Moneyshot
posted 08-18-2004 02:20:54 PM
Will keep CoH, and get WoW.
Vorago
A completely different kind of Buckethead
posted 08-18-2004 02:30:30 PM
Well, see, I WOULD play EQ2... except for one major problem. I played EQ1. Were it not for that, I am sure I would, but EQ just gave me so many reasons not to play EQ2.

When there is a beta, gonna sign up for it for kicks anyways, lord knows beta keys are solid gold on e-bay.

Vorago fucked around with this message on 08-18-2004 at 02:30 PM.

Blindy
Roll for initiative, Monkey Boy!
posted 08-18-2004 02:45:17 PM
I'm going to give it a shot. Maybe 4 months. then i'm out. The end game of sony mmorpgs suck.
On a plane ride, the more it shakes,
The more I have to let go.
Lashanna
noob
posted 08-18-2004 02:45:29 PM
People can bitch all they want, but EQ was a great game.
Dad's going to kill you. Really. He is.
Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 08-18-2004 02:49:40 PM
Knowing me, I'll probably try it at some point..
Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Pouncer of the 12th degree!
"Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"
Addy
posted 08-18-2004 02:50:17 PM
quote:
Lashanna Model 2000 was programmed to say:

^^^^ Agreed, although I think it was mostly Verant, not Sony, that made the game good. Hence the reason why I'm skeptical about EQ2 (take a look at SWG... I didn't like it at all). Now, Vanguard is another game to look at.

Liam
Swims in Erotic Circles
posted 08-18-2004 02:50:53 PM
quote:
Lashanna had this to say about Cuba:

Was

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 08-18-2004 02:51:25 PM
quote:
A sleep deprived Liam stammered:
Was

Eh, I still like it.

I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
KaLourin
Illanae's Stooge!
posted 08-18-2004 02:53:56 PM
Syn and I will be jumping to EQ2 when it comes out.
Dont make me slap you so hard your bucket spins around, and around,and stops sideways,thus confusing you, and making you run about London wearing your bucket, a g-string, and carrying a stick,smacking the ground while yelling "MAGICALLY DELICIOUS! MAGICALLY FUCKING DELICIOUS!"- {Tal} to Mortious
Hebrew 9:3- 'And the Lord said unto me, "Dude, there isn't a K in covenant."' - Snoota

This beer drops trou and fucks your mouth with pure hoppy goodness. - Karnaj
Fizodeth
an unflattering title
posted 08-18-2004 02:56:49 PM
I want to give it a shot, but that would require a job, which I am currently having no luck procuring. Some one give me a job.
Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 08-18-2004 03:06:35 PM
I'll wait and see what I think of it. I'll likely get into it at some point a couple months after it comes out, but I'm not sure I'll stay in it.

There's no way I'm going to plan on getting it right away. I'll wait till some of the painfully glaring bugs have been worked out.

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
Dr. Gee
Say it Loud, Say it Plowed!
posted 08-18-2004 03:07:23 PM
quote:
Trent's fortune cookie read:
Will keep CoH, and get WoW.

That's what I was planning too.

Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 08-18-2004 03:16:43 PM
I will most likely at least give it a try, just to check it out.

But WoW is my game of choice, indeed. And having played it, I know it's worth it. hehe

Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 08-18-2004 03:17:50 PM
quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Trent was all like:
Will keep CoH, and get WoW. Then I will lose my job.
Jania Arindelil
Is really cute and cuddly... just needs a hug
posted 08-18-2004 03:30:13 PM
Deth and I intend to play both EQ and EQ2.

Jania Arindelil
Dragon Guardian, Grandmaster Archer
Very Cranky Person
"I'll torture you so slowly, you'll think it's a career." - Darwin Mayflower
Snoota
Now I am become Death, shatterer of worlds
posted 08-18-2004 03:40:58 PM
quote:
Lashanna got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:

Before Sony got ahold of it and drove it into the ground.

Skaw
posted 08-18-2004 03:57:51 PM
quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Snoota was all like:
Before Sony got ahold of it and drove it into the ground.

While Verant was all "Omg! $$$ and fans!" Sony was just all "Omg! $$$!"

It was like these 2 Drug Dealers. One worked hard to get the people in his neighborhood hooked, the 2nd comes in, kills him, and takes his territory, quickly raping everyone he sees.

I'll most likely continue playing FF11, and casually play WoW.

Skaw fucked around with this message on 08-18-2004 at 04:00 PM.

Maradon!
posted 08-18-2004 06:40:40 PM
quote:
Peanut butter ass Shaq Lashanna booooze lime pole over bench lick:

Only if you like camping and other artifical time sinks.

But some people see that sort of thing as lazy and irritating game design.

Mod
Pancake
posted 08-18-2004 06:53:09 PM
EQ turned into a bunch of casual-friendly pink bunnyshit after SoE took over. With EQ2 having a dedicated tradeskill class I can see where the whole operation is headed and I don't like it, I doubt I'll be playing WoW either though, I don't play those types of games half-assed and I don't really feel like sinking 8 hours a day into a MMOG at this time.
Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Maradon!
posted 08-18-2004 07:01:59 PM
quote:
Peanut butter ass Shaq Mod booooze lime pole over bench lick:
EQ turned into a bunch of casual-friendly pink bunnyshit after SoE took over. With EQ2 having a dedicated tradeskill class I can see where the whole operation is headed and I don't like it, I doubt I'll be playing WoW either though, I don't play those types of games half-assed and I don't really feel like sinking 8 hours a day into a MMOG at this time.

So you don't feel like sinking 8 hours a day into an MMOG, but you don't feel like playing an MMOG that you don't have to sink 8 hours a day into just to get anywhere?

Interesting.

Mod
Pancake
posted 08-18-2004 07:06:06 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Robocop:
So you don't feel like sinking 8 hours a day into an MMOG, but you don't feel like playing an MMOG that you don't have to sink 8 hours a day into just to get anywhere?

Interesting.

No, I don't have fun in an MMORPG unless I play hardcore, since I don't have the inclination to play hardcore atm I won't be playing any of them beyond a beta or free trial etc but even if I did I wouldn't like EQ2.

Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 08-18-2004 07:25:20 PM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Mod said this:

Going casual friendly is a good business decision. The hardcore raiding population is far outnumbered by the casual, family-guild types.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Maradon!
posted 08-18-2004 07:27:07 PM
quote:
x--ModO-('-'Q) :
No, I don't have fun in an MMORPG unless I play hardcore, since I don't have the inclination to play hardcore atm I won't be playing any of them beyond a beta or free trial etc but even if I did I wouldn't like EQ2.

So exactly what I said basically.

Mod
Pancake
posted 08-18-2004 07:30:44 PM
quote:
A sleep deprived Maradon! stammered:
So exactly what I said basically.

I hate all fish except Salmon, thus I dislike Tuna, since I can't afford Salmon right now I won't be eating any fish. If that's what you were saying you are correct.

Mod
Pancake
posted 08-18-2004 07:33:08 PM
quote:
Lyinar Ka`Bael wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
Going casual friendly is a good business decision. The hardcore raiding population is far outnumbered by the casual, family-guild types.

I don't doubt it, Deer Hunter is one of the best-selling and most profitable computer games of all time, Fallout 2 barely broke even.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 08-18-2004 08:27:20 PM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Mod said this:
I don't doubt it, Deer Hunter is one of the best-selling and most profitable computer games of all time, Fallout 2 barely broke even.

Any game that wants to be successful is going to have to have casual-friendly content though. Not saying it can't have hardcore. Ideally, it will have both. That way it can appeal to the maximum number of people, and maintain the highest possible subscription rate.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 08-18-2004 09:54:25 PM
I find it funny how everyone in this thread that don't even play EQ are all like, "OMG Verant was the r0x0rz and SoE suxx0rz."

Especially since SoE is what made the game good in the first place. Remember The Vision? Yeah, that was Verant.

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piƱa coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Noxhil
Pancake
posted 08-18-2004 09:55:47 PM
quote:
Densetsu thought about the meaning of life:
Especially since SoE is what made the game good in the first place. Remember The Vision? Yeah, that was Verant.

Bzzt, wrong. SoE's first expansion was Luclin. I think you can connect the dots from here.

Zaile Ghostmaker
You've gotta remember, I'm an EverQuest character.
posted 08-18-2004 10:46:24 PM
I miss Blackburrow. It was a perfect example of an EQ dungeon done well. I find myself wishing that I could take a CoH character through it. It would be cool to be able to fly in there.

I think that what EQ has that no other game has been able to match isn't the overall game, but some of the bits and parts of it.

I find that most problems can be solved by excessive violence.

It is held in thought
only by the understanding
of the Wind.

Talonus
Loner
posted 08-18-2004 11:04:42 PM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Zaile Ghostmaker:
I think that what EQ has that no other game has been able to match isn't the overall game, but some of the bits and parts of it.

That's probably because EQ was the first MMOG for most people. Stepping into a world like that for the first time really has a profound effect on people. That's why most people look back most fondly upon the first MMOG they played and those who hate the genre only play one game. So its not really EQ that is so good that its better than MMOGS, but rather the "first MMOG effect" that it had.

Naota Nandaba
Don't ask me about any goddamned bannings!
posted 08-18-2004 11:13:34 PM
I'll probably pick it up on release day
Nothing amazing happens here.
Only the ordinary.
Taeldian
Pancake
posted 08-18-2004 11:17:13 PM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Talonus:
That's probably because EQ was the first MMOG for most people. Stepping into a world like that for the first time really has a profound effect on people. That's why most people look back most fondly upon the first MMOG they played and those who hate the genre only play one game. So its not really EQ that is so good that its better than MMOGS, but rather the "first MMOG effect" that it had.

That would explain why I loved UO, I guess.

Skaw
posted 08-18-2004 11:26:46 PM
quote:
Densetsu was listening to Cher while typing:
I find it funny how everyone in this thread that don't even play EQ are all like, "OMG Verant was the r0x0rz and SoE suxx0rz."

Remember who didn't cater to the average crybaby? Yeah, that was Verant.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: