EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Poll: Gonna play EQ2?
Author
Topic: IT is coming!
Snoota
Now I am become Death, shatterer of worlds
posted 08-18-2004 11:53:38 PM
quote:
Densetsu painfully thought these words up:
I find it funny how everyone in this thread that don't even play EQ are all like, "OMG Verant was the r0x0rz and SoE suxx0rz."

Especially since SoE is what made the game good in the first place. Remember The Vision? Yeah, that was Verant.

"The Vision" is what kept the game in check. It's because of "the Vision" that people kept coming back for more instead of quiting in droves, as has been happening since Sony took over. You cannot look at EQ and say that the game hasn't been on a steady decline since SoE took over and released Luclin. The day they took over and started catering to everyone that was able to form the words, "Me too! Me too!" was the day the game died.

Sentow, Maybe
Pancake
posted 08-19-2004 12:08:23 AM
I hope I'm not the only one who remembers when the EQ community constantly ranted and raved about how the vision was suffocating the game and that Brad McQuaid needed to be strung up from a tree and hit with a baseball bat until candy fell out of him.
Once more into the breach, my friends, once more. We'll close the wall with our dead. In peace, nothing so becomes a man as modesty and humility, but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with rage and lend the eye a terrible aspect.
Snoota
posted 08-19-2004 12:10:47 AM
quote:
Sentow, Maybe thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:
I hope I'm not the only one who remembers when the EQ community constantly ranted and raved about how the vision was suffocating the game and that Brad McQuaid needed to be strung up from a tree and hit with a baseball bat until candy fell out of him.

No, that was the very vocal minority. At it's height, EQ had something like ten million subscribers. Maybe a little more. I don't feel like digging up the exact number.

A few hundred people ranting and raving about how the vision was suffocating the game and that Brad McQuaid needed to be strung up from a tree and hit with a baseball bat until candy fell out of him is not the EQ community.

Sentow, Maybe
Pancake
posted 08-19-2004 12:18:12 AM
Whether it was in game or out of game, it's only been in the last few months that I have ever heard someone say positive things about El Vision. Do you seriously think only a fraction of the community hated it back then?

If you ask me (and you did ask me; remember?), people are comparing their feelings now with their doe-eyed newbie days and feeling cheated.

EDIT: I could go for a nice, juicy tangentrine right about now.

Sentow, Maybe fucked around with this message on 08-19-2004 at 12:20 AM.

Once more into the breach, my friends, once more. We'll close the wall with our dead. In peace, nothing so becomes a man as modesty and humility, but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with rage and lend the eye a terrible aspect.
Snoota
posted 08-19-2004 12:19:39 AM
quote:
Sentow, Maybe had this to say about Robocop:
Whether it was in game or out of game, it's only been in the last few months that I have ever heard someone positive things about El Vision. If you ask me (and yes you did ask me; remember?), people are comparing their feelings now with their doe-eyed newbie days and feeling cheated.

I was hardly a newbie when Kunark and Velious came around, the golden age of EQ and the height of the Vision.

Sentow, Maybe
Pancake
posted 08-19-2004 12:22:14 AM
When new content is released, it briefly sparks the awe that people felt the first time they loaded the game.
Snoota
posted 08-19-2004 12:28:55 AM
quote:
Sentow, Maybe's account was hax0red to write:
When new content is released, it briefly sparks the awe that people felt the first time they loaded the game.

Now you're just reaching.

And besides, nobody I know was in awe of Luclin, PoP, Ykesha, or Gates of Discord. The only decent thing Sony ever put out under the EverQuest banner was Lost Dungeons of Norrath. However, instanced dungeons were needed three years ago. By the time they were put in, the average server population had dropped enough and there were enough hunting areas at all levels that there was no need for them anymore.

Though I do give Sony credit about Omens of War. For once they realized how broke and useless an expansion was before they released it.

Sentow, Maybe
Pancake
posted 08-19-2004 12:41:31 AM
quote:
Now you're just reaching.

No.

quote:
And besides, nobody I know was in awe of Luclin, PoP, Ykesha, or Gates of Discord.

Well, that's 50 or 100 out of those 10,000,000 subscribers you mentioned. Are you the vocal minority?

New content makes people get back in the game; it's curiosity, wishful thinking, and wanderlust (in a fashion). Then a few months later many people say, "Meh," and quit again, leaving only the entrenched veterans with too many friends and too much progress to easily walk away.

Dr. Gee
Say it Loud, Say it Plowed!
posted 08-19-2004 02:43:27 AM
I'm gonna have to side with Snoota with this one. Since I quit a few months ago I've come to realize that the most fun I had was playing Kunark and Velious before PoP came out.

Ya, PoP had the raiding content which I adored at the end of my EQ career, however Velius had that too and the high-end Velious encounters were really just more fun. It would have been really cool to have been in a raid guild doing the Kunark and Velious stuff before Luclin, but oh well.

Snoota
posted 08-19-2004 02:50:26 AM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when Dr. Gee said:
It would have been really cool to have been in a raid guild doing the Kunark and Velious stuff before Luclin, but oh well.

Not always!

So there we were; thirty of the best equipped people on the server. Less than a week since Kunark had come out. Levels ranging from 51 up to 53 and I think one or two 54s(one of our Druids was neck in neck with that dude from FoH the entire "race" to 60). We buff ourselves up as well as you could back then. And our main tank, the best equipped Warrior on the server and probably dead even(there wasn't a lot of room for advancement in equipment back then) with Furor and other top Warriors, leads the rush into Venril Sathir's room to engage him for the very first time on any server.

He died before the rest of the group even got around the corner. What transpired was the harshest thirty seconds of whoop ass ever brought down upon a group of players in the history of a video game.

Snoota fucked around with this message on 08-19-2004 at 02:51 AM.

Pvednes
Lynched
posted 08-19-2004 05:43:59 AM
Hell no.
Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 08-19-2004 11:41:52 AM
quote:
Snoota wrote this stupid crap:
And besides, nobody I know was in awe of Luclin, PoP, Ykesha, or Gates of Discord.

I happened to love Luclin. But I only played the lower levels. I have no idea what the high end stuff in Luclin was like.

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
Jania Arindelil
Is really cute and cuddly... just needs a hug
posted 08-19-2004 03:41:20 PM
quote:
Palador ChibiDragon stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:
I happened to love Luclin. But I only played the lower levels. I have no idea what the high end stuff in Luclin was like.

I love LoY. Great xp, neat mobs, good loot, a nice challenge and some rather interesting lore and quests. Too bad more people don't utilize it.

Jania Arindelil
Dragon Guardian, Grandmaster Archer
Very Cranky Person
"I'll torture you so slowly, you'll think it's a career." - Darwin Mayflower
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 08-19-2004 07:37:19 PM
quote:
From the book of Jania Arindelil, chapter 3, verse 16:
Deth and I intend to play both EQ and EQ2.

And CoH!

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Toktuk
Pooh Ogre
Keeper of the Shoulders of Peachis Perching
posted 08-20-2004 12:48:47 AM
It's pre-ordered, baby. And I'll be in beta sooner or later because I actually spent money on Lords of EQ. I'm Sony's money whore.

-Tok

Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 08-20-2004 04:22:17 AM
Least I know I won't be alone on the 15th then. I've glanced around at different sites, none give out a server list yet. But I think it'd be great to get all the ECers into one of the Family groups they've got planned.

We'll all be able to move around and do our seperate things, (Grouping together when possible, though it's not required) but if you're logged off; you'll still get some XP when other people in your family go leveling. It's their plan to keep friends together, even when they can't all play at the same time or as often as others.

Edit: Just read that members of the same family have to share a surname. (Makes sense I guess) Soo, we'd all have to come up with something to agree on if there's enough interest in banning together in-game.

Rodent King fucked around with this message on 08-20-2004 at 04:33 AM.

My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
Black
The Outlaw Torn
posted 08-20-2004 04:38:09 AM
Snoota has it right. And I've said the same thing before, and still say it now. Velious was the golden age of EQ. I really, really enjoyed playing when it was around. Everything thereafter was nothing compared to that.

The Vision did also keep the game in check... In a challenging, but good way.

Black fucked around with this message on 08-20-2004 at 04:38 AM.

Time was never on my side.
So on I wait my whole lifetime.

*Tal*
Pancake
posted 08-20-2004 06:13:41 AM
I remember scouting out Velious, with my wood elf bard, Gurlee Clothes.. 15 levels too small to really be there, runnin with my guild, having a blast.. and thinking..

I remember Scouting out Kunark, with this same wood elf bard, runnin with my guild, having a blast, and thinking..

I remember being in Beta.. when none of these IDIOTS were training me.

Fags.

They say a smile is a gift which is free to the giver and precious to the recipient. But giving the finger is free too, and I find it more personal and sincere.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: