EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Poll: How often to strangers give you racist comments or call you derogatory racial sl
Author
Topic: Poll of curiosity
diadem
eet bugz
posted 06-07-2004 04:00:16 PM
Racist comments - how often to strangers give you racist comments or call you derogatory racial slurs?
play da best song in da world or me eet your soul
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 06-07-2004 04:01:35 PM
#6 Never happened.
~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 06-07-2004 04:02:35 PM
Like...how do you mean? How often do they make them? How often do they make them to me? What?
diadem
eet bugz
posted 06-07-2004 04:02:58 PM
quote:
Tarquinn thought about the meaning of life:
#6 Never happened.

Where are you from? How diverse (and how segregated) is your area? Is it a city or rural community? How much gang activity does your community have to deal with?

diadem
eet bugz
posted 06-07-2004 04:04:01 PM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:
Like...how do you mean? How often do they make them? How often do they make them to me? What?

Like walking the streets at night and some guy goes up to you and calls you a fucking cracker, eggs your car, spits in your direction, or starts spouting off about "the problem with you white people is.."

I don't get that stuff at home anymore now that I live in a nice area, but I still work in a city. It seems to happen a bit in the cities I go to (though has never happened to me in NYC or Boston, just CT cities) . Happened to me again yesterday ("the prolem with you white people is.."), first time it has in a long while. Just doing a check to see if it's just the areas I never went to as a kid or if times are changing and it's getting worse. It seems the more segregated, poor, and dense the communities are, the worse it gets.

diadem fucked around with this message on 06-07-2004 at 04:13 PM.

Zaza
I don't give a damn.
posted 06-07-2004 04:08:50 PM
Gotten the occasional "Swedefucker" from immigrant kids.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 06-07-2004 04:09:40 PM
That doesn't really happen around here.

I live in Phoenix, Arizona and most of the community here is white. There were a handful of black students in my high school, and there aren't many more in the colleges around here.

I don't think I've seen that many Latinos around here, either, which I find odd considering our proximity to the border (I think that most of them stay in Tucson in the southern part of AZ).

My community is rural, but I don't think I've even seen that many minorities in the city, either.

Gang violence/activity is non-existant here. At least, in my time, I've never heard of anything quite like that.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 06-07-2004 04:10:29 PM
quote:
Zaza spewed forth this undeniable truth:
Gotten the occasional "Swedefucker" from immigrant kids.

I would have never thought of that as a racial slur.

Which would bother you more: Swedefucker or Swedish Chef?

BORK BORK BORK

Nae
Fun with Chocolate
posted 06-07-2004 04:11:11 PM
Almost never happens.

I have had it happen to me before, when I lived in Arizona.

I had a black Manager that hated whites and she treated me like crap. Then I had a black Manager when I sold cars for this one dealership that tried to rape me at work, calling me a "stupid honky bitch". He was high on cocaine.

Then I had these black women throw stuff at me and scream at me because I was out to dinner with two black guys that were friends of mine. We were in the parking lot heading to the car when I got hit by a bottle.

Since then, I can't remember any other times. Oh no wait.. one of the customers at the phone company I worked for called me an "ignorant cracker whore" because I refused to turn her phone on unless she paid her bill.

Hireko
Kill a fish before breakfast each day
posted 06-07-2004 04:12:41 PM
The only place I've seen racial slurs in any number is online. Everyone here where I live is either too polite, or too afraid of the consequences to pull that kind of thing.
Those who dance are thought insane by those who can't hear the music.
diadem
eet bugz
posted 06-07-2004 04:14:22 PM
quote:
Hireko had this to say about Punky Brewster:
The only place I've seen racial slurs in any number is online. Everyone here where I live is either too polite, or too afraid of the consequences to pull that kind of thing.

online doesn't count. how diverse is your community?

from the sounds of it, it's not getting worse, it's just the areas I'm going to. This is comforting. I had this fear that it was spreading outside the cities, but it appears to be unfounded (with the exception of a few forced desegreation programs that forced people to go to neighberhoods they didn't want to go and started dealing drugs there)

diadem fucked around with this message on 06-07-2004 at 04:18 PM.

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 06-07-2004 04:17:23 PM
quote:
diadem had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
Where are you from? How diverse (and how segregated) is your area? Is it a city or rural community? How much gang activity does your community have to deal with?

Germany.
There live quite alot people with an turkish origin in my city, not in the many in the parts of I have lived in so far though. Met many in school/university and never had a problem.

Gang activity? We don't have any gangs here.

Tarquinn fucked around with this message on 06-07-2004 at 04:18 PM.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 06-07-2004 04:18:40 PM
quote:
Tarquinn had this to say about Tron:

Oompa bands.

I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Zaza
I don't give a damn.
posted 06-07-2004 04:18:58 PM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan probably says this to all the girls:
I would have never thought of that as a racial slur.

Which would bother you more: Swedefucker or Swedish Chef?

BORK BORK BORK

It sounds better in swedish.

Basically, it's a racial slur against white people.

Nae
Fun with Chocolate
posted 06-07-2004 04:20:01 PM
quote:
JooJooFlop had this to say about (_|_):
Oompa bands.

Those dirty rotten kids and their newfangled hippity Oompa music!

Mr. Parcelan
posted 06-07-2004 04:20:24 PM
quote:
Zaza had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
It sounds better in swedish.

Basically, it's a racial slur against white people.

Really? What do you call Americans over there?

I don't know much about Sweden, but if I were to use some insults, I'd use Dusseldorke and Deutschbag. But those are German.

Zaza
I don't give a damn.
posted 06-07-2004 04:21:20 PM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
Really? What do you call Americans over there?

I don't know much about Sweden, but if I were to use some insults, I'd use Dusseldorke and Deutschbag. But those are German.

I really don't know if I want to say, you people could take offense.

But alright... we call them...

Sigh.

Americans.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 06-07-2004 04:21:57 PM
quote:
Zaza had this to say about (_|_):
I really don't know if I want to say, you people could take offense.

But alright... we call them...

Sigh.

Americans.

Bork

Fizodeth
an unflattering title
posted 06-07-2004 04:53:41 PM
Like, twice in my life, and not because I'm white, but because I'm a little darker than the rednecks (when I go outside more often)
Hostile Makeover
Evil as chocolate covered thistles
posted 06-07-2004 04:55:06 PM
Almost never. I think the most recent example was about a month back, at the laundromat. Black woman was loading her stuff in about two or three washers down, and ranting to a couple of friends with her about how this or that person was a crack ho, who was cheating on who in their circle of friends, etc. Mind you, she was spouting this all loudly enough to have been heard out in the parking lot.

I glanced over at one point, she locks eyes with me, and said something along the lines of "Lookit the cracker bitch over there who gets off on hearin' our problems!" *boggles* I managed to at least feign reading til my clothes were dry.

Rochester is a smallish city (1.2 million people), and is very diverse ethnicly speaking. We have very large black, hispanic, asian, indian and jamaican populations here.

Xyrra fucked around with this message on 06-07-2004 at 04:55 PM.

Ocyrrhoe Trazere
Bootylicious!!
posted 06-07-2004 05:16:06 PM
Roughly once a week. It's pretty much a constant in Albany that if you walk around enough, you're gonna get called some sort of name.

Gang activity is pretty prominent - we get all the gangs from NYC because we're upriver from there. The name-calling doesn't really register with me most of the time because I'm so used to it.

"Come at me. Every inch of me will resist you."

Full sigpic image.
Liam - "Caitlin: You terrify me, but in a good way."

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 06-07-2004 05:26:57 PM
Never, even though there's a large south asian community here.

We get along pretty well.

Azymyth
Not gay; just weird
posted 06-07-2004 05:47:50 PM
Having an indeterminable racial background helps.
I suffer from CRS: Can't Remember Shit.

Sig pic done by the very talented SJen!

Dr. Gee
Say it Loud, Say it Plowed!
posted 06-07-2004 05:54:37 PM
About once a month or so.

Usually it's getting called a racist when i'm hanging out with my filipino friends. Because i'm hanging out with them.

The irony kills me every time.

Vorbis
Vend-A-Goat
posted 06-07-2004 07:27:38 PM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Tarquinn wrote:
Germany.
There live quite alot people with an turkish origin in my city, not in the many in the parts of I have lived in so far though. Met many in school/university and never had a problem.

I've always wondered why there are so many Turks in Germany.

Why is that? (Dönner kabob)

Trillee
I <3 My Deviant
posted 06-07-2004 07:36:01 PM
quote:
This one time, at Ocyrrhoe Trazere camp:
Roughly once a week. It's pretty much a constant in Albany that if you walk around enough, you're gonna get called some sort of name.

Gang activity is pretty prominent - we get all the gangs from NYC because we're upriver from there. The name-calling doesn't really register with me most of the time because I'm so used to it.

Albany is where I've ran into alot of racial slurrs. And oddly, the only place...

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 06-07-2004 07:39:34 PM
Since moving out of NC it's never happened, unless I use slurs myself (I sometimes, when pissed off, turn into a foul mouthed black dude a la early 80's Eddie Murphy stand-up). And on top of that, I sometimes feel like Chef from South Park.
Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Led
*kaboom*
posted 06-07-2004 07:41:09 PM
Never, outside of friends. However this state is predominantly white... so most of the insults flung back and forth are of a different nature.
diadem
eet bugz
posted 06-07-2004 07:42:49 PM
quote:
So quoth Led:
Never, outside of friends. However this state is predominantly white... so most of the insults flung back and forth are of a different nature.

friends don't count, nor does anything joshing

Hugin
Pancake
posted 06-07-2004 07:47:12 PM
When we moved to England we go a lot of stick since we moved from Germany (at schoool that is), but that died down reasonably quickly and since then I've encountered and witnessed very little racism.
"The individual must not merely wait and criticize, he must defend the cause the best he can.
The fate of the world will be such as the world deserves." - Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
Abbikat
Tastes best with pudding
posted 06-07-2004 07:49:28 PM
Does being called "red-headed bitch" count as a racuial slur?

If yes, almost never..

If no, Never happened.

Were-Tigress Disciple of Lycanthropy
Perma-lowbie, addicted to MMORPGs
My LiveJournal

Ares
posted 06-07-2004 07:56:13 PM
Never. :I Go my Arian hertitage! (not really.. though I am part German.. And blond.. Blue eyed.. Fair...Shit.)
Abbikat
Tastes best with pudding
posted 06-07-2004 08:06:03 PM
quote:
Ares wrote this stupid crap:
Never. :I Go my Arian hertitage! (not really.. though I am part German.. And blond.. Blue eyed.. Fair...Shit.)

psst.. Aryan..

Were-Tigress Disciple of Lycanthropy
Perma-lowbie, addicted to MMORPGs
My LiveJournal

Vorbis
Vend-A-Goat
posted 06-07-2004 08:08:43 PM
quote:
Led had this to say about Pirotess:

azn seattle?

Ares
posted 06-07-2004 08:12:32 PM
quote:
Abbikat had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
psst.. Aryan..

Shhhh

very important poster
a sweet title
posted 06-07-2004 08:34:30 PM
Several times a day.
hey
Mr. Gainsborough
posted 06-07-2004 09:18:43 PM
Only on Gunbound.
Liam
Swims in Erotic Circles
posted 06-07-2004 09:40:25 PM
We're all white here.
Mr. Gainsborough
posted 06-07-2004 09:46:30 PM
quote:
We were all impressed when Liam wrote:
We're all white here.

Word.

Snugglits
I LIKE TO ABUSE THE ALERT MOD BUTTON AND I ENJOY THE FLAVOR OF SWEET SWEET COCK.
posted 06-07-2004 10:05:05 PM
It wouldn't be really shocking in Chicago-ish area, but in my suburb, it really would be.
[b].sig removed by Mr. Parcelan[/b]
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: